PDA

View Full Version : New smartphone App to aide motorcycle skills

Bob
9th November 2012, 00:53
A new smartphone App designed to aide riding skills is coming soon. The Race Sense App makes use of the phone’s accelerometers, GPS, and inclinometer to plot information for braking force, lean angles, speed, and on-track location onto Google Maps. The app will deliver full data readouts for later evaluation.

Moto2 racer Anthony West provided much of the R&D that went into refining the app. West has invested his own cash into developing the app in conjunction with Italian programmer and motorcycle rider, who is developing a similar product for a Japanese drifting team.

The iOS, Android, and Windows Phone versions of the app will be available “soon”, followed by desktop versions for PC and Mac.

Brian d marge
9th November 2012, 05:48
http://antwest13.com.au/App.html

but it isnt on google play yet

Stephen

Dave-
11th November 2012, 22:34
We had a quick yarn about this in the race area.

I'll elaborate on my thoughts a bit further....

Unless you have a phone with a 1Ghz+ processor don't expect to get $1000 equipment out of it.

Even if you do, believe it or not by the sensors in your super expensive smart phone were supplied by the lowest bidder, so they have a lot of noise which can only be accounted for to a certain extent.

Also you need to have the phone somewhere it wont get blocked by your body or even fairings etc (read: vulnerable) or you can buy an external bluetooth GPS thinger (read: kills battery) which aren't too expensive.

But to be honest by the time you've finished pissing around with getting the GPS to pair with your phone and turning off all the shit to try save battery life you're probably still better off in money, and it might work for you for a while, but I don't think the reliability and accuracy would ever really be there.

If you're a track day warrior or a club racer there's probably better things to spend time/money on, if you're a road rider there's easier ways to incriminate yourself, if you're a real racer, you're probably not reading this anyway cause you either don't read kiwibiker or know better than to leave the safety of the racing section.