PDA

View Full Version : UK petrol prices hit new record

Bob
10th August 2005, 00:15
The average price of unleaded petrol in the UK has risen above 90p a litre (about NZD 2.33) for the first time. The increase has been attributed to the soaring cost of oil, which hit a record high amid security fears in Saudi Arabia, the world's largest producer.

Pump prices are unlikely to fall and drivers are paying £7.5m more on fuel daily than in January, the AA has said. Ruth Bridger, petrol price analyst at the AA Motoring Trust said some garages in remoter areas, such as some Scottish islands, were already having to charge £1 a litre to take account of their higher delivery costs.

"However, hopefully £1 a litre as the general price is a long way away," she added.

zadok
10th August 2005, 00:31
Bad news. Seems to be hitting everywhere. Apparently we are just the cheapest in Oz at about $1.13 and up.

mstriumph
10th August 2005, 00:34
it hit A$1.30 a litre here in west australia today [try the bondooks where i am Zadok..... :no: ]

... be afraid - be VERY afraid :blink:

zadok
10th August 2005, 00:36
it hit A$1.30 a litre here in west australia today
In Toodyay today?

mstriumph
10th August 2005, 00:39
.... was trying to remember which station i saw it on - coulda been northam - have been round and about a bit today ................. USUALLY toodyay is no more expensive than that filling station on the midland end of the toodyay road though [except for gas]
In Toodyay today?

zadok
10th August 2005, 00:41
As you have older bikes, what fuel do you use? Also do you ride both bikes regularly?

mstriumph
10th August 2005, 00:51
both were built for leaded obviously ---- ive always used ultimate on them rather than that muck they formulated as a leaded replacement for sale at the bowser ........ started off using an additive with the ultimate but have been told am wasting my $$.

used to ride them alternate weeks to work ----- reaaaaaal fun with the alternating brake/gearchange bizzo lol ........... haven't had them out of the barn in a while. Hoping this is about to change.

am MUCH luckier with the tractor ... she's a rebuilt 1939 allis chalmers 4 cyl petrol built before leaded fuel was introduced ...... so she runs quite happily on bog standard unleaded :love:

Lou Girardin
10th August 2005, 08:50
And fuel companies in NZ have posted record profits.
Time for price control?

Ixion
10th August 2005, 08:59
And fuel companies in NZ have posted record profits.
Time for price control?

Nationalise them. An entire nation should not be held to ransom over an essential commodity for the sake of private greed.

bugjuice
10th August 2005, 09:11
I think the profit margin on oil and petrol is just plain fukin greed. 96/98 is something like $1.45+ in most places, which is starting to get stupid. Ok, so 90p is more, but we're not earning £, so boo-hoo for the UK, but it's just getting stupid.

Whoever sells the oil, controls the world. If they want a new Ferrari, they just hike the price up, and the world pays thru everything you every use. It's fukin stupid. The whole world controlled by oil and its need. Totally wrong

Zapf
10th August 2005, 12:13
its about time that the world... including us. to not relie so much on petrol. Its a finite energy source, and we are heating up the world as we are doing it as well :no:

Lou Girardin
10th August 2005, 12:43
its about time that the world... including us. to not relie so much on petrol. Its a finite energy source, and we are heating up the world as we are doing it as well :no:

The car and bikes make your qualifications as a greenie somewhat suspect.

Bartman10
10th August 2005, 20:24
Petrol price rises on the way
10 August 2005

By KERI WELHAM From www.stuff.co.nz

Petrol stations are expected to raise their prices as early as today – and certainly within the week – in response to record crude oil prices.

The cost of a barrel of light sweet crude oil rose about 5 per cent to more than $US64 yesterday amid fears of United States petrol shortages.

Independent energy consultant Roger O'Brien said a fluctuation in crude oil prices usually filtered through to a price change at the pumps within seven days.

A "huge leap" in prices could force the industry to respond much faster.

"Oil companies will eventually be forced to increase prices," he said.

O'Brien expected New Zealanders were already beginning to cut unnecessary use of their vehicles.

BNZ chief economist Tony Alexander said the record levels seen at pumps, averaging 139.9c a litre of unleaded 91 yesterday, could become the basic fuel rates of the future.

"I don't actually think it's reasonable to make any sort of pick when we will see these prices easing, if ever. It could be that this is where things are going to average in the future," he said.

Alexander said consumers would not stop buying petrol but would cut back in other areas, such as savings. "We'll stop buying something else. We're going to keep driving. We're still on the roads."

Most Canterbury, Invercargill and Dunedin service stations contacted yesterday were holding firm on 139.9c, but Ian Ryan, of Prebbleton Mobil, was undercutting the competition at 138c.

He said customers were moaning about soaring pump prices but continued to buy big.

"At the end of the day, you either put petrol in or you walk," Ryan said.

He expected prices were still well below levels that would significantly alter consumption.

The Alexandra Service Station is passing on the costs of isolation to its customers with 143.9c a litre.

Shell Spring Grove in Wakefield, Nelson, is up to 141.9c

At a central Christchurch service station yesterday, waitress Sarah McKenna put $20 worth of fuel in her Honda Civic. She said she was gutted that the fuel gauge did not even climb above the half-way point. She spends about one-third of her weekly wage on petrol.

Her co-worker, Louise Stewart, 17, puts $50 worth a week into her Mazda Familia. On a student budget, she has had to sacrifice luxuries such as haircuts to make her part-time wages stretch to fuel. "It's so expensive."

But the girls were not considering cutting back on petrol.

ASB chief economist Anthony Byett said there was no "trigger level" where consumers immediately changed behaviour. Changes were gradual.

He said homebuyers would begin to give priority to fuel-based factors, such as living close to work.

Car-owners would buy smaller cars, a trend already under way, according to Motor Trade Association sales figures released last week.

Sales of Holden Commodores have decreased 30 per cent in a year, while sales of smaller Suzuki Swifts have risen 69%.

Byett said sales of smaller cars were evidence consumers expected high fuel prices to stay.

"Whether they'll stay at this level, it's a safe assumption to say they'll stay high," he said.

Since December, the oil price has risen 50% in US dollar terms. Oil is only one component of the pump price, which was 109.9c in December but has risen 27% since.

A year ago this week, the average petrol price in New Zealand was 121.9c per litre of unleaded 91 – 15% less than yesterday.

Byett said 65c of the current unleaded 91 litre price was tax.

Fuel giants BP, Mobil and Shell are reported to have increased their profits between 66 and 138% for the year to December.

mstriumph
14th August 2005, 00:44
the only GOOD thing i can see in all this [yes - i'm an optimist - repeat after me "the bucket is half full, not half empty :yawn: ] is that those middle-class need-to-get-a-life cows with manicured nails, coiffed hair and TOTALLY MUD-FREE 4 WHEEL DRIVES that have obviously NEVER seen off-road and which they have NO IDEA how to drive and ........... oh sorry, i'm waffling ---- anyway - they will have to pay SO MUCH for fuel that they may well go back to riding their sit-up-and-beg bicyles with the baskets on the front and the kiddie seat to the rear .............................

:chase:

Marknz
14th August 2005, 08:37
the only GOOD thing i can see in all this [yes - i'm an optimist - repeat after me "the bucket is half full, not half empty :yawn: ] is that those middle-class need-to-get-a-life cows with manicured nails, coiffed hair and TOTALLY MUD-FREE 4 WHEEL DRIVES that have obviously NEVER seen off-road and which they have NO IDEA how to drive and ........... oh sorry, i'm waffling ---- anyway - they will have to pay SO MUCH for fuel that they may well go back to riding their sit-up-and-beg bicyles with the baskets on the front and the kiddie seat to the rear .............................

:chase:

:rofl:

yup, all spotless large kiddie carriers should be ticketed off the road and forced to morph into Toyota Echo's.

:Punk:

Zapf
14th August 2005, 09:04
The car and bikes make your qualifications as a greenie somewhat suspect.

all my cages + bikes does 17km/L Plus :yawn:

mattt
15th August 2005, 10:46
is that those middle-class need-to-get-a-life cows with manicured nails, coiffed hair and TOTALLY MUD-FREE 4 WHEEL DRIVES that have obviously NEVER seen off-road and which they have NO IDEA how to drive and ........... oh sorry, i'm waffling ---- anyway - they will have to pay SO MUCH for fuel that they may well go back to riding their sit-up-and-beg bicyles with the baskets on the front and the kiddie seat to the rear .............................

So those people are bad compared to Mr. & Mrs. Toyota Echo then? Well I might as well go out and let all the tyres down on every GSXR1000 / ZX10 / CBR1000 / R1 / Harley etc cos in comparison to my sewing machine sized vfr4hundy they are just as bad :hitcher:
When I have kids and petrol hit $3 / litre i will buy a big dirty truck to protect them from the 'other idiots' on the road. Hopefully I'll have some coin left over for a gsxr thou :ride:

scracha
3rd September 2005, 23:40
I think the profit margin on oil and petrol is just plain fukin greed. 96/98 is something like $1.45+ in most places, which is starting to get stupid. Ok, so 90p is more, but we're not earning £, so boo-hoo for the UK, but it's just getting stupid.

Up to 94p in most garages and diesel is 98p. I see more evidence of the kiwi held myth that brits earn the same in £ as kiwi's earn in $. One of the reasons I'm leaving this dump (see other thread - 6 weeks to go till I arrive back in NZ!!) is the shocking cost of living compared to wages.

Wish that Cranfield turbo diesel motorcycle was abailable to the public (100mpg yum)

SPman
4th September 2005, 18:52
So those people are bad compared to Mr. & Mrs. Toyota Echo then? Well I might as well go out and let all the tyres down on every GSXR1000 / ZX10 / CBR1000 / R1 / Harley etc cos in comparison to my sewing machine sized vfr4hundy they are just as bad :hitcher:
When I have kids and petrol hit $3 / litre i will buy a big dirty truck to protect them from the 'other idiots' on the road. Hopefully I'll have some coin left over for a gsxr thou :ride:
Well mate, gixxer thou's are very economical - compared to the 750, I'm travelling 20% faster and using 20% less fuel - has to be greener on a gixxer -also better economy at all speeds below 180 than a 250/4 ! - something to do with not having to cane the nuts off it to maintain legal(ish) speeds....:devil2:

Bob
7th September 2005, 00:56
I see more evidence of the kiwi held myth that brits earn the same in £ as kiwi's earn in $. One of the reasons I'm leaving this dump (see other thread - 6 weeks to go till I arrive back in NZ!!) is the shocking cost of living compared to wages.

Quick case in point - a pint (about 0.57 of a litre) of beer over here costs around £2.60 - that equates to NZ$6.76!

So we might earn more - but we need to with our cost of living!

scracha
7th September 2005, 08:05
Quick case in point - a pint (about 0.57 of a litre) of beer over here costs around £2.60 - that equates to NZ$6.76!

So we might earn more - but we need to with our cost of living!

But my point was that we (in the UK) aren't earning that much more than Kiwi's. And yeah, when you factor in the cost of living we're definately earning less in real terms.

Anyway, Kiwi beer has to be cheaper as it's piss weak and comes in "handles" (wee pints) :Punk: