PDA

View Full Version : Good Starting Bike

wkid_one
10th August 2005, 08:44
Thoughts please...

Looking for first dirt bike to muck around with - interested in your thoughts as to which is the best in terms of reliable and ease of use.

Cheers

enigma51
10th August 2005, 08:48
not to sure what goes today but started on a honda in the days they still made mt5 but then again I was only 6 or 7 years old.

I know people going for 300cc machines cause they are not to heavy and have alot of grunt but presonaly if you kind find a xr250 they are sweat! and cheap to fix

vifferman
10th August 2005, 08:57
How long is a piece of string? :spudwhat:

You need to provide more details - when you say "dirt", do you mean MX, trailbike, trials...? How competent a rider are you? How big? How much do you want to spend?

Oscar
10th August 2005, 09:22
First dirt bike - easy, XR250 or KDX200/220 depending on yer fancy stroke-wise. Both are as relible as rocks and easy to start. The XR has the advantage that if you get a road legal one, you can do adventure rides as well.

Motu
10th August 2005, 10:15
You can't really go past an XR250,they set the handling standard through the 80s and 90s,until Yamaha came along with the WRF,the XR is no frills fun and reliability,the DR and TT not far behind,although they always felt heavier and more sluggish in handling.The KLX is more sophisticated,but only handles as well as an XR,with more maintenance and more things to break....keep moving up into WRFs and CRFs and the focus is narrowed as the bikes become superp handling with wide power everywhere,but much higher in maintanence...and price.

2 strokes are lighter,better handling with heaps more power,and harder to ride....The KDX being the best choice here,well sorted and heaps around,parts will never be a problem.The WR200 is just as good,but harder to find,you can find some rare street legal smokers like the KMX,RMX,CRX,and the DT230 like I have.