PDA

View Full Version : So why AREN'T we riding?

marty
5th January 2004, 13:39
why are we sitting here posting threads instead of out riding? It's an unbelievable day here in the waikato.

i'd rather be here... (will be for a week from tomorrow...)

http://www.citynews.co.nz/webcams/beach.php

jrandom
5th January 2004, 13:46
Back at work, looking for ways to avoid getting onto things I really should be dealing to :eek:

You think I'd be sitting inside posting if I was still on holiday? Yeeeurrrrgh. In any case the FXR just exists as a frustrating reminder of how much fun I could have on a faster bike so holiday riding becomes irritating quickly.

I may go out into the carpark this afternoon and practice lofting some low-speed wheelies, though.

Slim
5th January 2004, 13:51
Because I'm at work. :(

But I've got Wed/Thur/Fri off this week and intend to play around the Waikato then head to Te Puke, then on to Pauanui with more playing around the Coromandel before heading home. :bleh:

Actually ... are you going to The Mount on the bike? Maybe hook up for a ride one day? :sunny:

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 13:55
Because I'm at work. The weather is wonderful in Wellington as well.

Plus the T-Rex is in the bike shop getting the jets replaced (under warranty) as all that sitting about with petrol in the tank has gummed everything up.

Noticed it was leaking petrol at a party on the 27th.

:weep:

Should be back tomorrow.

SpankMe
5th January 2004, 14:00
At work but went out for a lunch time ride. :2thumbsup

LB
5th January 2004, 14:08
at work but rode my bike in (normally in the car) but might try to sneak away early for a bit of a blast......

Hitcher
5th January 2004, 15:14
I'm just exiting work and heading down to Sawyers/Motorad to pick up the bike (my bike) with a brand spanking new Battlax 020 on the rear. Then I'm off to run it in! Woo hoo!!
:Punk:

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 15:45
at work but rode my bike in (normally in the car) but might try to sneak away early for a bit of a blast......

Saw you! The Monster sounds almost as good as my bike!

I was in a fridge, um white Mercedes 190 getting a lift home cos my bike is still at Sawyers/Motorad

marty
5th January 2004, 16:09
sorry slim - taking the cage and the family and a couple of hanger-on kids.

at least i'll have my surfboard, and i've already planned the bikes i'm gonna test ride (see below) ...

Motu
5th January 2004, 16:53

Me too,looks like I'll be spending this weeks commute on the XLV750...my horrible diesel van is somewhere else,and so am I (not at home) :niceone:

MacD
5th January 2004, 17:15
At work too, but also rode the bike there.

Left early and took the long way home! :2thumbsup

However it's like riding in a sauna in Auckland today! Threatened wife with a hug when I got home, but she declined! :blah:

LB
5th January 2004, 18:30
Saw you! The Monster sounds almost as good as my bike!

I was in a fridge, um white Mercedes 190 getting a lift home cos my bike is still at Sawyers/Motorad

Jim2 - I didn't notice you/the Merc sorry. Boy was it windy going along by the ferry terminal - I was going to have a quick blast up the Takas but in view of the wind decided to come home and do some housework instead.

Glad you like the pipes - I'm really rapt with them.

(just kidding about the housework.....)

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 18:33
Jim2 - I didn't notice you/the Merc sorry. Boy was it windy going along by the ferry terminal - I was going to have a quick blast up the Takas but in view of the wind decided to come home and do some housework instead.

Glad you like the pipes - I'm really rapt with them.

(just kidding about the housework.....)

Who would expect you to look in a fridge, uhh MB190 when you're riding a Ducati? :)

LB
5th January 2004, 18:39
Well, I did notice a few cars. Like the guy in the black Ford gassing on his cellphone. And the silver hatchback whose driver very kindly flicked his live cigarette butt out the window at me. And the 4x4 who tried to change lanes in front of me into a space that wasn't there........

k14
6th January 2004, 07:51
Well even though i am at work, i get a decent ride to and from work. Have a 30km ride and the last 10km are over twisty back taranaki roads that no one goes on apart from my work colleagues and a farmer or two.

The ride is so fun since i got my new bike. I know the road really well, so i can go fairly hard down it. Even managed to get the front wheel up today going over the crest of a hill at about 120 :eek:

Anyone else get a good twisty ride to work down back country roads??

georgedubyabush
6th January 2004, 08:28
Well even though i am at work, i get a decent ride to and from work. Have a 30km ride and the last 10km are over twisty back taranaki roads that no one goes on apart from my work colleagues and a farmer or two.

The ride is so fun since i got my new bike. I know the road really well, so i can go fairly hard down it. Even managed to get the front wheel up today going over the crest of a hill at about 120 :eek:

Yeah. Sounds the same as yours, but I'm at 5 in the morning, so the trip home is better.

k14
6th January 2004, 08:38
Yeah, i have to start work at 7, so i leave home around 6:40 or so. Best time is 19mins, but that includes 18 or so kms of state highway 3. Another guy here has done 16mins from his house on his 2001 996 :yes:

riffer
6th January 2004, 08:50
I guess I'll chip in too.

I work at the National Library of NZ in Wellington, so it's the boring ride from Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, down River Road and SH2 to town, then in the afternoon I'm working at our parent company in Tawa, so up Ngauranga Gorge and SH1 to Tawa, then the homeward journey around Whitby - lovely slow (well, signposted slow) corners - and over Haywards Hill to home.

About 95kms riding a day to work and back...

Temperatures seems to have cooled a bit overnight though... so no more melting roads.

How has everyone else been faring on the melted tar? I rode to Napier and back on New Years day (about 600kms) and it was pretty interesting between Ekatahuna and Waipukurau - some interesting moments on the corners and my Sportmax 205 Touring tyre looked like a race tyre by the time I got the Napier - hunks of tar and rubber all over the edge of it!

jrandom
6th January 2004, 08:59

When I have an extra ten minutes I commute via SH28 Riverhead->Coatesville instead of going down SH16 and across the harbour bridge. Nice scenery and some fun twisty bits, and I can top it off with some cager-annoying lanesplitting down SH1 southbound to the Northcote Rd offramp.

SH28 is really too open and fast for the FXR though. Hell, what road *isn't*.

wkid_one
6th January 2004, 10:45
I guess I'll chip in too.

I work at the National Library of NZ in Wellington, so it's the boring ride from Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, down River Road and SH2 to town, then in the afternoon I'm working at our parent company in Tawa, so up Ngauranga Gorge and SH1 to Tawa, then the homeward journey around Whitby - lovely slow (well, signposted slow) corners - and over Haywards Hill to home.

About 95kms riding a day to work and back...

Temperatures seems to have cooled a bit overnight though... so no more melting roads.

How has everyone else been faring on the melted tar? I rode to Napier and back on New Years day (about 600kms) and it was pretty interesting between Ekatahuna and Waipukurau - some interesting moments on the corners and my Sportmax 205 Touring tyre looked like a race tyre by the time I got the Napier - hunks of tar and rubber all over the edge of it!

The road around Titahi Bay is great for knee down action.....and good for practising overtaking cars around the outside of corners......loved their expressions. You could go the long way and take Grays Rd.....bit short but a good punt.

Upper Hutt to Wellington is a pain in the arse - well policed, shit loads of traffic (including nutters at the Petone section of the m'way).

My commute to work takes 4mins (or one song) door to door. Hardly worth driving really.....but then the company provides me a car so it would be rude not to. Alas - no bike for 12 months min - so meh.

riffer
6th January 2004, 12:52
Alas - no bike for 12 months min - so meh.
You've mentioned this a couple of times now, wkid. But considering you were off them completely not so long ago I have to ask:

Is it because of the highside injuries you're trying to heal that you won't be having a bike for 12 months, or have you lost your licence?

wkid_one
6th January 2004, 16:25
Long long story.....short version - I am HOPING to have the license back in 12 months - provided I get the all clear from the quack.

As for giving it up - I only said I will give up riding on the road. If I get the all clear - it will be track only riding...but once again - one requires medical clearance.

Kwaka-Kid
7th January 2004, 20:22
so like...legally you are not alowed to ride? like, you would get a $200 fine or somthing for riding whilst injured or something random like that?

Coldkiwi
8th January 2004, 09:41
my excuse for not riding?.... I'm recovering from yesterday's ride and preparing for the next one!! HUZZAH!

wkid_one
8th January 2004, 10:06
so like...legally you are not alowed to ride? like, you would get a $200 fine or somthing for riding whilst injured or something random like that?
Talk to you about it on MSN next time you are on.

sAsLEX
10th January 2004, 13:13
With weather like this there is no excuse not to ge out for a ride :niceone:

http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/6/28/48/110162848xzsOaO_ph.jpg

Blackbird
10th January 2004, 13:35
I'm not riding because I dropped the Blackbird last week. :weep:

I wish I could say that I was on a high speed blast but the truth of the matter is that I fell off at very low speed on the steep drive of our bach at Coromandel. :mad: and my legs were not long enough to hold it up on the camber.

The crash mushrooms helped no end, but a fairing panel was quite badly scratched and the brake lever is stuffed. I feel a total pillock. A big wad of cash to be passed to Larry of Reflections in the near future, but as far as I'm concerned he's the God of Sprayers.

Sad, sad, sad......

wari
10th January 2004, 13:37

I wish I could say that I was on a high speed blast but the truth of the matter is that fell off at very low speed on the steep drive of our bach at Coromandel. :mad: and my legs were not long enough to hold it up on the camber.

The crash mushrooms helped no end, but a fairing panel was quite badly scratched and the brake lever is stuffed. I feel a total pillock. A big wad of cash to be passed to Larry of Reflections in the near future, but as far as I'm concerned he's the God of Sprayers.

Sad, sad, sad......

Now , THATS a bastard!!!

Kwaka-Kid
10th January 2004, 15:07
sorry to hear about the blackbird :( dont hammer yourself too hard mate, it happens to the best even, and the worst as i proved when i did the same thing to my 750.

Yamahamaman
10th January 2004, 16:06
My Bike is due for it's 40,000km service and so I am using it to commute only :angry:

Back to the fun stuff after the 16 (that's when it is book for the service). :banana:

James Deuce
10th January 2004, 17:00
Getting close to getting tyre pressures and suspension settings sorted. Went to work at 3pm today, so came back via the Korokoro hill to home - about 6 times. Good road for scrubbing tyres or getting suspension sorted.

LB
10th January 2004, 17:21
I was out today, lovely weather, a bit of melted tar but wonderful to be out. Didn't go far, up to the summit of the Takas, hung around there for ages till the Husband had finished work and joined me around 1pm, then hung around a bit more (always bikers coming and going to chat up - woops I mean TO). Then we headed to Martinborough for a late lunch/coffee, met up with quite a few more bikers over there. Then back home. It's 6.25pm and the Husband is out washing the bikes while I spend some time surfing till the takeaways arrive. What more could a girl want??

We're heading out tomorrow AM, if anyone's keen for a ride, meet us at Caltex Rimutaka at 8.30am.

wkid_one
10th January 2004, 22:20

I wish I could say that I was on a high speed blast but the truth of the matter is that I fell off at very low speed on the steep drive of our bach at Coromandel. :mad: and my legs were not long enough to hold it up on the camber.

Sad, sad, sad...... Sorry to hear BB. Nothing worse than seeing your baby on its side.....and it is usually the stupidist rider error. I can empathise with you entirely. But hey it is only plastic and can be repaired.

As for feeling like a pillock - everyone has had a stupid off - I did in my garage on the VTR, CK on his GSXR, BB on the Duc on the Paeroa Ride - shit happens....

Glad you had bungs on - makes a big bill small.

Blackbird
11th January 2004, 06:46
Thanks for the sympathies guys. I feel slightly better that other people do dumb stuff from time to time! Naturally, Murphy's Law was in full force! The neighbours were standing outside their place with a whole load of visitors and saw the whole sorry event. Good job I'd got a black visor on or I'd have lit up the whole road with the glow!

Here I am admitting my whoopsie to all and sundry on the Net, but do you think I'm going to tell my regular riding partners? No bloody way! Just hoping to get it fixed before they reappear from their hols! Like good mates everywhere, they'd feel duty-bound to rub it in for the next 12 months!

Cheers

Geoff

SPman
11th January 2004, 10:22
Been helping a friend pack up house for the last 3 weeks - As I got to take the bike over to the new place, the first ride in 3 F**KIN WEEKS.
New tyres on the old bus and back into action by next W/E!
Hey Blackbird - we all make dicks of ourselves doing that, sooner or later - my first Ducati in 1973, I fell off at the lights in Valley Rd, Mt Eden! Christ knows how....:doh:

marty
13th January 2004, 14:18
well i didn't get to take any of the bikes i thought i would, for rides. i did though, take:

a 2001 aprilia falco (very nice in yellow)
a 2002 aprilia mille (very big black and scary....)
a 2000 zzr 1100 (mmmmm)
a 2001 vfr800 (VERY nice)
a 2003 brand new SV1000SK3 (i can see why spankme likes his one)

but the most awesomest one was an Augusta MV 750. rode like the Rs250 with about 100 more horsepower - unbelieveable above 9000rpm. too much for me to afford, but at least i can say i rode it....

hopefully i'll have a new SV in the garage by next week - missus is in melbourne til tuesday, won't she get a nice surprise

Hitcher
13th January 2004, 15:03
Hopefully i'll have a new SV in the garage by next week - missus is in melbourne til tuesday, won't she get a nice surprise
I hope that Mrs Marty savours appropriately the exhaust note from your new V twin...

marty
13th January 2004, 18:37
oh i KNOW she will - especially when i'm on early shift and at 0600hrs i start it up in the garage (which is below the bedroom) to warm it up - she just doesn't like the smell of the RS, even though i run castrol in it......

marty
13th January 2004, 18:37
comes with shiny new remus pipes too.... :)

Slim
13th January 2004, 22:39
a 2002 aprilia mille (very big black and scary....)
Who had that? I've got a couple of hours to kill in BoP on Friday. :sly:

marty
14th January 2004, 12:22
it was at bay city, at the bottom of the waihi rd hill by the lights.

the aprilia is sold, but they've got the augusta there too. they are doing brand new parallel imported Mille's for $24K ish. the one they have in the shop now is a 2nd hand RSV with carbon and all for $24k.

the augusta is $24k too, but is an ex demo and is being sold with a new bike warranty. they've got a zero km F4 with carbon pipes and chipped for a few $1000 more......

James Deuce
14th January 2004, 13:36
it was at bay city, at the bottom of the waihi rd hill by the lights.

the aprilia is sold, but they've got the augusta there too. they are doing brand new parallel imported Mille's for $24K ish. the one they have in the shop now is a 2nd hand RSV with carbon and all for $24k.

the augusta is $24k too, but is an ex demo and is being sold with a new bike warranty. they've got a zero km F4 with carbon pipes and chipped for a few $1000 more......

Can't recommend Bay City enough. That's the place my wife bought my TRX and they were truly pleasant to deal with.

SILVER SUZI
14th January 2004, 14:22
Anyone else get a good twisty ride to work down back country roads??[/QUOTE]

Not going to work but...
I work in East Tamaki and live in Epsom and if I go the long way (that is via Kawakawa bay / Kiawa / Miranda) I too get a good twist road! Too bad the last bit is motorway!! :rockon:

buggerit
14th October 2014, 11:43
Perfect riding conditions and not doing it, why? cause my boss is a cunt , Id like to fuck off , but he"s married to my wife.
Sometimes we do move the weekend though:devil2:

willytheekid
14th October 2014, 12:08
Ride everyday...rain, hail or shine :niceone:

...and it has NOTHING to do with the fact that Im crap in car! :oi-grr:
(Plus the missus KNOWS I will curb grind her car if I use it:facepalm:...stupid design!...far to many wheels!)

...Hows my driving??

http://www.freakypic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Funny-car-crash-meme-3.jpg
...and I don't even try! :confused: (THIS is why I Ride...its just safer for all!:laugh:)

Big Dog
14th October 2014, 12:33
Because no other fucker is going to pay my bills if I went riding every time I felt like it.
Pretty sure it'd be worth being Charlie Borman.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Taxythingy
14th October 2014, 14:26
Well, obviously somethings has been going on, since it's been 10 frikkin years since this thread was last used.

Maybe the KB cycle got in the way:
:scooter::drinkup::gob::angry2::corn::bash::angry2 : :scooter::drinkup::gob::angry2::bash::angry2: :scooter::drinkup::gob::angry2::bash::angry2: :scooter::drinkup::gob::angry2::bash::angry2:

GrayWolf
16th October 2014, 08:12
10 years since it was last used (thread)?

EPIC DREDGE!

TheDemonLord
16th October 2014, 08:34
10 years since it was last used (thread)?

EPIC DREDGE!

No, this is not a Thread Dredge, this is NecroPhilia

unstuck
16th October 2014, 08:52
Necrophilia you say...............

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HK_DtXW3v38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:Punk::Punk::Punk:

Old Steve
16th October 2014, 12:31
I like the old thread resurrections. Like looking at avatars from posters who are no longer around.

Whatever happened to wkid-one (towards the top of page 3!) I can't recall seeing their avatar before. On going back through the posts I see it now shows an "R18" restriction!

Although there's a similar one around these days incorporating a pair of scissors, thank you spank me!.

Big Dog
16th October 2014, 20:45
I like the old thread resurrections. Like looking at avatars from posters who are no longer around.

Whatever happened to wkid-one (towards the top of page 3!) I can't recall seeing their avatar before. On going back through the posts I see it now shows an "R18" restriction!

Although there's a similar one around these days incorporating a pair of scissors, thank you spank me!.

IIRC, Sold his bike and got into Power Water Craft. Reckons he learned it all about bikes and that there was only walking away or getting carried away left.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.