PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket dampers

baffa
21st November 2012, 20:30
Hey all, have been riding a friends 2000 Triumph 600TT, and noticed there is a little play in the rear wheel, which makes cornering a little disconcerning. Pulled the wheel off and had a look, and it seems the sprocket dampers are worn, giving play in the sprocket.

Funnily enough it got a wof a week ago.

How much drama can this cause? And any idea on replacement parts? I dont want my mate coming back from holiday and falling off the first time he takes his bike for a spin.

Grubber
22nd November 2012, 11:07
The damper should only upset forward and backward slop but not sideways, so not sure that would be too much of an issue. Would check wheel bearings etc first maybe.
Even so, you can get new ones for a cheap price on ebay.

F5 Dave
23rd November 2012, 15:57
Yeah makes bike feel terrible with that much lash. If they are real worn buy some new ones, but I have reduced lash (warning this sounds bodge) by wrapping the metal drive tangs with duct tape. This assembly can then can be tapped into the rubber & takes up 1-2mm clearance. Sounds bad, but the worse thing that could happen is some 2" lengths of duct tape come out leaving you where you were in the first place. Lasted several wheel changes with no sign of degradation. Any more slop than that & buy new.

I did a lass's GP100 back in the day after she flipped it taking off up a driveway; the 'hit' was so bad & slop was several mm. Felt like a new bike after. Never did any impromptu stunts again.

pete-blen
23rd November 2012, 16:00
The old XT660 issue....
this is how to fix it on the cheap...
If you put new rubbers in they will
compress like the set in there have...

The fix...
rap bits of inner tube over the fingers
and push the sprocket carryer into
the rubbers... this way will last a lot
longer than a new set of rubbers will
As the old rubbers have already done