PDA

View Full Version : Justify the price: email to LTSA

High Lord
23rd November 2012, 12:15
Hi, just sent a email to LTSA.. lets see if they help.. or if you know the answer...

Hello,
I have just re-licensed my motorcycle for 3 months after 2 1/2 months in the garage with the rego on hold. I was of course amazed to discover the $137.67 paid only covered me for two weeks. I then hear you have a 3 month minimum rule for putting the rego on hold.

With the new LAMS system it has finally been appreciated that the relation between different capacity motorbikes and power output is not necessarily linear . Yet the pricing system for motorbike licensing still relies on capacity.

Now I realise that rules have their reasons, especially in a government organisation. I would like to know;
- Why there is a 3 month minimum for having the vehicle license on hold?
- Why is there a kw per ton system for LAMS, but not for setting fees.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Enzo

nzmikey
23rd November 2012, 12:41
Good luck with getting an answer that makes sense from those clowns

:corn:

James Deuce
23rd November 2012, 13:11
Hahaha. Asked this in October. Got told there was no intention to review ACC registration Levies.

So in other words, LAMS is an attempt to capture more money from ACC levies because n00bs are more likely to register their bikes, and probably quite keen to get something over 600cc.

Yes, National are that cynical. Yes, we are that gullible.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2012, 13:38
Hi, just sent a email to LTSA.. lets see if they help.. or if you know the answer...

Hello,
I have just re-licensed my motorcycle for 3 months after 2 1/2 months in the garage with the rego on hold. I was of course amazed to discover the $137.67 paid only covered me for two weeks. I then hear you have a 3 month minimum rule for putting the rego on hold.

With the new LAMS system it has finally been appreciated that the relation between different capacity motorbikes and power output is not necessarily linear . Yet the pricing system for motorbike licensing still relies on capacity.

Now I realise that rules have their reasons, especially in a government organisation. I would like to know;

Enzo

Dear Mr Enzo

Thank you for your correspondence.

LTSA is the statutory body which implements Government policy, and the regulations which enforce that policy. While there might be some input at an advisory level, fees are set by by the Minister.

We suggest you refer your enquiry to the Minister of Transport, the Hon Gerry Brownlee, or to the Associate Minister, Simon Bridges.

Thank you again for contacting LTSA.

Yours faithfully

Also: WITHNAIL & I = AWESOME.

Scrubbers!!!

Akzle
23rd November 2012, 14:02
Dear Mr Enzo...

* Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks for contacting LTNZ concerning the licensing fees for a motorcycle.

Under current law:

Application for licence

(1)An application for a licence for a motor vehicle must—

(a)be in a form acceptable to the Registrar; and

(b)provide the full name of the registered person; and

(c)provide the full address of the registered person's place of residence, or place of business, within New Zealand; and

(d)provide the full postal address within New Zealand of the registered person (if different from the address given under paragraph (c)); and

(e)be accompanied by any other information, documents, and evidence related to the motor vehicle or that person that may be required by the Registrar (including, but not limited to, evidence of identity such as a driver licence or passport).

(2)In the case of a motor vehicle that is not registered, references in subclause (1) to the registered person are to be read as references to the person who is to be registered in respect of the motor vehicle.

(3)For the purposes of subclause (1)(e), different requirements may be imposed for different cases or for different classes of motor vehicles.

AND:

12 Issue of licences on payment of accident insurance levy

The Registrar may not issue a licence for a motor vehicle if the accident insurance levy in respect of the period for which the licence is to be in force has not been paid.

AND:

Registration and licensing fees

(1)The fees payable for the registration or cancellation of registration of a motor vehicle are specified in Parts 1 and 1A of Schedule 5.

(2)The fees payable for the licensing of a motor vehicle are specified in Parts 2, 2A, 3, and 4 of Schedule 5.

(3) The fees specified in Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Schedule 5 that are payable under this regulation (excluding applicable refunds, and goods and services tax payable under the Goods and Services Tax Act 1985) are land transport revenue for the purposes of section 6 of the Land Transport Management Act 2003.

if you are at all unclear about anything, feel free to go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
LTNZ office bitch

*computer generated signature
*barcode

High Lord
23rd November 2012, 14:03
g.brownlee@ministers.govt.nz
s.bridges@ministers.govt.nz

Excellent, sent to these two also, thank you.

High Lord
23rd November 2012, 14:11
* Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks for contacting LTNZ concerning the licensing fees for a motorcycle.

Under current law:

Application for licence

(1)An application for a licence for a motor vehicle must—

(a)be in a form acceptable to the Registrar; and

(b)provide the full name of the registered person; and

(c)provide the full address of the registered person's place of residence, or place of business, within New Zealand; and

if you are at all unclear about anything, feel free to go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
LTNZ office bitch

*computer generated signature
*barcode

Yes, I thought I may let them have a go first. ..oh.. it seems they have.. again

Akzle
23rd November 2012, 14:12

you left out nic smith, minister of everything....
judith colins, acc minister

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2012, 14:35
you left out nic smith, minister of everything....
judith colins, acc minister

Nucks Muth is minister of nothing these days due to his abject mishandling of the Bronwyn Pullar affair. You might recall he wrote to HIS department on Ministerial letterhead providing support to a customer of the organisation. Quite how such an appalling error of judgment seemed to be a good idea escaped his attention at the time.

But yeah, crusher is the munster of ACC. Also justus if memory serves.

MrKiwi
23rd November 2012, 14:40
Small but important detail, the LTSA (and the LTNZ for that matter) have not existed for some time. It is the NZTA (New Zealand Transport Authority). Helps to address your email to the right organisation!

wysper
23rd November 2012, 14:56
Small but important detail, the LTSA (and the LTNZ for that matter) have not existed for some time. It is the NZTA (New Zealand Transport Authority). Helps to address your email to the right organisation!

Do you think they keep changing it so people never contact the right organisation or the attempt at contact just disappears?

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2012, 15:23
Do you think they keep changing it so people never contact the right organisation or the attempt at contact just disappears?

They are very easy to deal with on a transactional basis for doing relicencing and such. It has to be said.

Flip
23rd November 2012, 15:46
Tax and death are the two things you can't avoid.

Good luck with both!

MrKiwi
23rd November 2012, 17:45
They are very easy to deal with on a transactional basis for doing relicencing and such. It has to be said.

Yes I agree.

The original post is a good post, I'm going to follow this thread to see if he gets a reply. I agree with the principle that if you are going to have more expensive and less expensive registrations then the LAMS limit is a good point to make that differentiation.

Akzle
23rd November 2012, 17:45
Tax and death are the two things you can't avoid.

Good luck with both!

i disagree. so far, avoiding both on a daily basis quite successfully.

High Lord
23rd November 2012, 17:49

Ha ! yes .. lucky I didn't include it in the actual email, it may have been enough to dismiss it as someone else's problem.

A reply from Gerry B.

Dear Enzo

On behalf of Hon Gerry Brownlee, Minister of Transport, thank you for your email dated 23 November 2012.

The comments you have raised fall within the responsibilities of Simon Bridges, the Associate Minister of Transport. Accordingly your email has been forwarded to his office for consideration.

Kind regards

Sarah Cameron | Private Secretary | Office of Hon Gerry Brownlee | Minister of Transport |
7.4 Beehive, Parliament Buildings, PO Box 18041, Wellington 6160, New Zealand |
W: http://www.beehive.govt.nz and http://www.parliament.govt.nz

Cool, Simon will get two emails, one from Gerry ..

Usarka
23rd November 2012, 17:52
Dear sir,

Motorcyclists are a minority, and studies have shown that most would not vote against their party of choice just because of a motorcycle related policy.

So fuck off you cunt.

Regards,
The minister.

PS - lick my balls.

Mom
23rd November 2012, 17:54

Bless you! Be sure to post the responses. If I had $1 for every platitude containing, spun statistic quoting, load of fluff reply I have had from the powers that be, I would be able to afford a few bottles of wine to drown my sorrows around the price we pay for rego.

Subike
23rd November 2012, 17:59
Yes I agree.

The original post is a good post, I'm going to follow this thread to see if he gets a reply. I agree with the principle that if you are going to have more expensive and less expensive registrations then the LAMS limit is a good point to make that differentiation.

this sounds good,
The more expensive registrations being for those on under 600cc bikes, learning how NOT to fall off
The Less expensive registrations being for those on over 600cc bikes who are that fucking old they dont ride over 100kph any more.
( includes me)

What ever the price for licensing your bike is, learn the system and understand it, then you can get away with only $80 a year, even less if you do it right. :innocent:

FJRider
23rd November 2012, 19:12
this sounds good,
The more expensive registrations being for those on under 600cc bikes, learning how NOT to fall off
The Less expensive registrations being for those on over 600cc bikes who are that fucking old they dont ride over 100kph any more.
( includes me)

During the fanfare of the LAM's changes announcement ... it was quickly pointed out then, that the 600cc cutoff for the cheaper re-licensing costs would stand. No changes were intended ... nor were any planned in the future.

As I understand (it's been a while since I've owned a bike under 600cc)... it's a three level cost for the increasing sizes of motorcycles already. Plus mopeds.

The cost of changing it again (reprinting all the forms) ... plus the revenue they might miss out on ... would make any change (ever) unlikely.

98tls
23rd November 2012, 19:40
Since being back on the road have declined the invitations to register mine.

Subike
23rd November 2012, 20:27
Since being back on the road have declined the invitations to register mine.

do it for 7 days (mr27 form) then put it back on hold for 3 mths. $20. repeat every 3 mths 1 day, = $80 a year. :innocent:

st00ji
23rd November 2012, 20:40
$80 plus extensive potential for fines?

Subike
23rd November 2012, 20:42
$80 plus extensive potential for fines?

8 years of doing this , fined for unlicenced vehicle once. you work out the savings ratio.

Akzle
23rd November 2012, 20:47
What ever the price for licensing your bike is, learn the system and understand it, then you can get away with only $80 a year, even less if you do it right. :innocent:

change of vehicle usage, mr14b i think. (you have to ask for it at the post shop)
non commercial ambulance.
rego 70$ a year.

-edit-
+ pay 0$ for rego, RTS everything the government posts you, refuse for cause any interaction with every policy enforcement officer, send them miles of green text to confuse and annoy, ignore MOJ and court documents. post notice on your gate that any bailiffs seen on the property will be shot.
:rockon:

madandy
23rd November 2012, 20:52
How 'bout a cheaper option with no ACC levy for those willing to forego public assistance should the unthinkable occur...:innocent:

Akzle
23rd November 2012, 20:59
How 'bout a cheaper option with no ACC levy for those willing to forego public assistance should the unthinkable occur...:innocent:

that's illegal. didn't you read my first post? the registrar is not allowed to issue license for a vehicle that has not had ACC paid on it.

Subike
23rd November 2012, 21:21
change of vehicle usage, mr14b i think. (you have to ask for it at the post shop)
non commercial ambulance.
rego 70$ a year.

-edit-
+ pay 0$ for rego, RTS everything the government posts you, refuse for cause any interaction with every policy enforcement officer, send them miles of green text to confuse and annoy, ignore MOJ and court documents. post notice on your gate that any bailiffs seen on the property will be shot.
:rockon:

the fines for operating a vehicle licensed outside of its class are not worth the shit , this was unsucessfully tried by the boy racer crew in Christchurch, also the "farm vehicle" license was tried, At least with the right attitude, when you are pulled by a popo, max 3 mths out of reg could be an over-site by you. You could get a warning, if your attitude is right, or a 28day diversion to get it licensed. ( have had this three times) Change the license type as you suggest, Blatant disregard for the law, you will cop the max for every offense the opo wants to toss on you... not good advice at all

scumdog
23rd November 2012, 21:28
the fines for operating a vehicle licensed outside of its class are not worth the shit , this was unsucessfully tried by the boy racer crew in Christchurch, also the "farm vehicle" license was tried, At least with the right attitude, when you are pulled by a popo, max 3 mths out of reg could be an over-site by you. You could get a warning, if your attitude is right, or a 28day diversion to get it licensed. ( have had this three times) Change the license type as you suggest, Blatant disregard for the law, you will cop the max for every offense the opo wants to toss on you... not good advice at all

Yepp, every so often they have a purge on this (down here we had the largest fleet of privat ambulance and hearses in the whole country at one stage!)
The powers that be sent out letters telling said vehicle owners to sort their shit out of face a fraud charge, my word the fleet got small quickly.
And then they sent us guys a list of those who hadn't got the message so we could target them.

Goodness me, the fleet is tiny now...:whistle:

madandy
23rd November 2012, 21:28
that's illegal. didn't you read my first post? the registrar is not allowed to issue license for a vehicle that has not had ACC paid on it.

Illegal to ride on the road unregistered too, or to register it As an ambulance...:facepalm:
If ya want change, lower acc levies or just plain cheap rego then offer to forgo the assistance acc pays for whn you're injured....
Personally I'm in favour of providing medical aid and rehab to only those who contribute through taxesand acc levies, :woohoo:

Ender EnZed
23rd November 2012, 21:34
do it for 7 days (mr27 form) then put it back on hold for 3 mths. $20. repeat every 3 mths 1 day, = $80 a year. :innocent:

If you get caught during the 48 weeks of the year that your rego is on hold then your situation is legally the same as if it had been on hold for 8 years isn't it?

Subike
23rd November 2012, 21:46
If you get caught during the 48 weeks of the year that your rego is on hold then your situation is legally the same as if it had been on hold for 8 years isn't it?

You get the fine for operating an unlicensed vehicle on the road, no matter how long its been unlicensed the fine is the same. $200 my last ticket, A bit cheaper than a years reg, and back licensing it to its previous license period is a max of 3 mths, if it happens to be the day before you renew it for 3 mths.They just add demerit points now. If it has been on hold for 8 years then you operate it and get caught, then thats your choice, Its very obvious you KNOW its unlicensed. If you operate in the 3 mth window I suggest that it could be politely argued that it was an over site, and that you will remedy it immediately. Again your attitude goes a long way.

Brian d marge
23rd November 2012, 22:07
Damn , I haven’t paid rego and warrants for , nearly 12 years , wonder how much they will ping me !

and on THAT note WHY Do we pay rego and warrants,???? ACC ( pre fk up I accept ) warrants ( yes to stop dumb-arse boiracers cutting springs ) ...oh and to keep the minister in cigars ...but anything else , no thanks

Stephen

hayd3n
23rd November 2012, 22:08
no rego $150 +35 demerits
3x no rego in 2 years = loss of licence for no rego

Ender EnZed
23rd November 2012, 23:55
If it has been on hold for 8 years then you operate it and get caught, then thats your choice, Its very obvious you KNOW its unlicensed. If you operate in the 3 mth window I suggest that it could be politely argued that it was an over site, and that you will remedy it immediately.

You might have some chance talking your way out of a ticket if you simply haven't re-licensed it after the expiry, but it's going to be a fair bit harder to convince the cop that you forgot putting it on hold less than 3 months ago.

HenryDorsetCase
24th November 2012, 10:15
this sounds good,
( includes me)

Well, provided you're happy enough to commit fraud.

haydes55
24th November 2012, 10:52
I just turn up to work every morning, then when the fateful time of year arrives, I ride to VTNZ and give them the moneys I earned. I'm far from being in a good paying job, I can afford to legally keep my car and bike on the road.

Eat one less pie per day and there's your rego paid.

Usarka
24th November 2012, 11:32
Personally I'm in favour of providing medical aid and rehab to only those who contribute through taxesand acc levies, :woohoo:

Yep. Our normal taxes and worker levies pay for ACC because it's a no fault system. So even if I don't register my bike my conscience is at peace.

Akzle
24th November 2012, 18:01

there is a legal argue around this. i've posted it up here before. it's all semantics (as is the law), i know at least two people who operate a ute, stationwagon as non commercial ambulances, have been pulled up, have had rego run though the cop-puter, on yer way sir.

so yah, does come down to attitude a lot.
your way is an "artful dodge" mine is a legal workaround.
(that said, i have a half dozen unregistered, unlicensed vehicles)

no rego $150 +35 demerits
3x no rego in 2 years = loss of licence for no rego

and.. why do i need a license :P

Berg
25th November 2012, 16:44
Thanks to all those who fail to register their bikes or cars and or ride/drive them while exempt from rego. Its people like you to thank for 35 demerit points (rumor has it soon to be 50) when caught inadvertently riding with expired rego and the possibility of your plates being removed when caught on exempt rego. No I haven't been caught, I find it far easier to pay my way now matter how much I hate it. If you think riding bikes here in NZ (a relative riding paradise) is expensive, piss off over seas to England and see what it costs to ride in constant traffic and gridlock. Meh, think I'll just pay my way here.

bogan
25th November 2012, 16:48
Thanks to all those who fail to register their bikes or cars and or ride/drive them while exempt from rego. Its people like you to thank for 35 demerit points (rumor has it soon to be 50) when caught inadvertently riding with expired rego and the possibility of your plates being removed when caught on exempt rego. No I haven't been caught, I find it far easier to pay my way now matter how much I hate it. If you think riding bikes here in NZ (a relative riding paradise) is expensive, piss off over seas to England and see what it costs to ride in constant traffic and gridlock. Meh, think I'll just pay my way here.

Oh noes, not 35 demerit points! thats heaps more than I get for infractions on kb :baby:

You do realise you can get 100 before anything bad happens right? and such a law abiding citizen like yourself will be very unlikely to get anything other the the 35 points mentioned above...

Berg
25th November 2012, 16:55
Oh noes, not 35 demerit points! thats heaps more than I get for infractions on kb :baby:

You do realise you can get 100 before anything bad happens right? and such a law abiding citizen like yourself will be very unlikely to get anything other the the 35 points mentioned above...

I've been a good boy and haven't got any pesky demerits so 35 wouldn't be an issue but,,,,,,,,,,,I like riding in NZ and in the scheme of things, its cheap.

bogan
25th November 2012, 17:06
I've been a good boy and haven't got any pesky demerits so 35 wouldn't be an issue but,,,,,,,,,,,I like riding in NZ and in the scheme of things, its cheap.

So why whinge about others causing you to get demerits then?

I reckon no rego might actually increase safety anyway, some might ride more cautiously so the plod doesn't pull them over you know,,,,,,,,,,,

Berg
25th November 2012, 17:15
So why whinge about others causing you to get demerits then?

I reckon no rego might actually increase safety anyway, some might ride more cautiously so the plod doesn't pull them over you know,,,,,,,,,,,

Not really a whinge, more a point towards who's really to blame for the step up of demerits, fines and consequences for riding without rego plus its effect should somebody inadvertently forget or miss their rego date. As for increasing safety lol, why is it the ones I meet without rego or WOF have just done something that says "pick me" like running red lights, failing to stop for stop signs or passing dangerously?

Glowerss
25th November 2012, 17:19
Not really a whinge, more a point towards who's really to blame for the step up of demerits, fines and consequences for riding without rego plus its effect should somebody inadvertently forget or miss their rego date. As for increasing safety lol, why is it the ones I meet without rego or WOF have just done something that says "pick me" like running red lights, failing to stop for stop signs or passing dangerously?

What about the 100s or potentially thousands you don't pull over for driving like polite responsible motorists? :corn:

Berg
25th November 2012, 17:24
What about the 100s or potentially thousands you don't pull over for driving like polite responsible motorists? :corn:
Only so many hours in a day:msn-wink: Should have seen the potential killer last week. Nice truck and semi with zero hint as to what was hidden below. Not going into details but a crash looking for a place to happen.

bogan
25th November 2012, 17:52
As for increasing safety lol, why is it the ones I meet without rego or WOF have just done something that says "pick me" like running red lights, failing to stop for stop signs or passing dangerously?

:facepalm: Cos you don't 'meet' the ones who have done nothing wrong :innocent:

Akzle
25th November 2012, 18:17
who's really to blame for the step up of demerits, fines and consequences for riding without rego plus its effect should somebody inadvertently forget or miss their rego date.

that would be the duly elected rulers. i'm pretty sure no-one has voted to be fined or imprisoned. most people tend to want to avoid those outcomes.

(well, technically anyone who votes is voting for just that, but... y'know what i'm getting at.)

remind me again how (more severely) punishing the few, benefits the many?

Ender EnZed
25th November 2012, 19:57
35 demerit points (rumor has it soon to be 50) when caught inadvertently riding with expired rego

The demerits only apply if your rego is on hold, not just expired.

Usarka
25th November 2012, 20:14

So..... you are whining that those who don't have a current rego should blame those that don't have a current rego....???

Share those drugs bro.

Berg
26th November 2012, 14:03
The demerits only apply if your rego is on hold, not just expired.
35 for on hold 15 for expired rego

davereid
26th November 2012, 18:46
35 for on hold 15 for expired rego

20 demerits says NZTA and demerits don't apply to tickets that are not issued by a police officer on-the-spot. ie meter-maid, or tickets that arrive in the mail.

Also demerit disqualifications only occur if they are served on you, and they time out and just go away.

So as long as you are never silly enough to use a real address in your dealings with nzta your only risk is being served side of road by popo.

Given that I have not licensed for years, and have zero tickets, it remains the thing I worry about least when riding.

Although I have bought a new motorbike with my savings.

ANPR will decrease the risk even more... I will be able to swap plates, and the ANPR will just smile and wave me on.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/offences-penalties/demerit.html#vehicle

High Lord
27th November 2012, 06:55
Dear Enzo

On behalf of Hon Simon Bridges, Associate Minister of Transport, thank you for your email regarding temporary exemptions from continuous licensing and the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS).

Your email has been placed before the Minister for his consideration.

Kind regards,

Cameron

Thats nice....

Swoop
27th November 2012, 07:37
Dear sir,

Motorcyclists are a minority, and studies have shown that most would not vote against their party of choice just because of a motorcycle related policy.

So fuck off you cunt.

Regards,
The minister.

PS - lick my balls.
About time we started getting some honest information from politicians!

rastuscat
27th November 2012, 14:25
Have had replies from Ministers which showed their lack of understanding of the issue I have raised.

Basically, Ministers have so many bloody things to worry about they can't actually be proficient in any of them.

It takes them a while to get their minions to answer the questions, then it just consists of the party line anyway.

Almost a waste of time writing to them.

Akzle
27th November 2012, 14:43
Have had replies from Ministers which showed their lack of understanding of the issue I have raised.

Basically, Ministers have so many bloody things to worry about they can't actually be proficient in any of them.

It takes them a while to get their minions to answer the questions, then it just consists of the party line anyway.

Almost a waste of time writing to them.

rastus. you're not towing the party line.
has your son become enlightened and highjacked your account?
have you been hit on the head?
are you considering quitting the mob?

i would totally buy you a beer if you did.

(or became a subversive, operating from within.)

oneofsix
27th November 2012, 14:50
rastus. you're not towing the party line.
has your son become enlightened and highjacked your account?
have you been hit on the head?
are you considering quitting the mob?

i would totally buy you a beer if you did.

(or became a subversive, operating from within.)

perhaps you miss understand, maybe he is being subversive already, trying to convince the KBers not to annoy the poor busy ministers with letters. After all if ministers get letters they are likely to think that if people can be bothered to take on the task of writing to the minister then it might be important and worth some votes. :lol:

Berries
27th November 2012, 19:46
I can't believe that people think that a) the minister is going to read their letter or b) that if you get a reply 'from the minister' he had any kind of hand in writing it or even seeing the correspondence.

Swoop
28th November 2012, 07:13
Have had replies from Ministers which showed their lack of understanding ...

I cannot understand why we allow a minister to hold more than one portfolio. We have sufficient morons in parliament to let them have one portfolio each and to devote their attention to that responsibility.

Usarka
28th November 2012, 07:31
I cannot understand why we allow a minister to hold more than one portfolio. We have sufficient morons in parliament to let them have one portfolio each and to devote their attention to that responsibility.

There's lots of portfolios - 58 approx. http://www.dpmc.govt.nz/cabinet/ministers/ministerial-list

Swoop
28th November 2012, 09:25
There's lots of portfolios - 58 approx. http://www.dpmc.govt.nz/cabinet/ministers/ministerial-list
I can see at least 8 that can be done away with...

Akzle
28th November 2012, 13:56
I can see at least 8 that can be done away with...

i can see another 50...

SPman
28th November 2012, 14:22
i can see another 50...

Politicians?????

Akzle
28th November 2012, 16:30
Politicians?????

sure.
alphabetically, or randomly. i don't mind. line em up against the wall!

G4L4XY
28th November 2012, 17:34

Hello,

Enzo

While your at it, get them to tell you why they make us pay the same rego fee's for two bikes when it's only possible to ride one at a time unless your as talented as some of the kb'ers here. We should only pay another $40 or so for licensing etc for every other bike.

oneofsix
28th November 2012, 18:23
While your at it, get them to tell you why they make us pay the same rego fee's for two bikes when it's only possible to ride one at a time unless your as talented as some of the kb'ers here. We should only pay another $40 or so for licensing etc for every other bike.

But you might lend your other bike to your mate. What you really need is a choice between continuous and non-continuous registration, or (for something that is never going to happen) the "government" to admit continuous registration was a bad idea and this applies for those with multiple cages as well.

High Lord
4th December 2012, 16:23
Good afternoon Enzo

Thank you for your email of 23 November 2012.

I appreciate your frustration with having to pay for licence fees when your motorcycle was not being used on the road. I have endeavoured to explain the legislation/rationale behind your two questions:

The timeframe for an exemption from licensing is between three and 12 months and this is outlined in clause 20 of the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011. The exemption process was designed for such purposes as restoration projects, caravans affixed to campsites and the seasonal use of vehicles. Therefore, if a vehicle is used frequently, it must be continuously licensed. The NZ Transport Agency believes the minimum three-month exemption period is appropriate for the purposes it was designed for.

This legislation can be accessed online at:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2011/0079/latest/DLM2938344.html

In regards to your second query, a number of powerful high-performance motorcycles capable of high speeds and rapid acceleration are available on the market. These motorcycles are not suitable for novice riders due to their power, riding position and handling. Advances in motorcycle power are likely to continue.

As a result of this, a new rating system was introduced to improve the safety of motorcycles, known as the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS). Learner and restricted motorcycle riders have a wide range of motorcycles to choose from, up to an engine capacity limit of 660 cc but are restricted to a maximum power-to-weight ratio of 150 kW to 90 kg. More information can be obtained on our website at:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/approved-motorcycles.html

A vehicle licence fee is made up of a number of components with the majority of the fee consisting of the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) levy. This levy is set by solely by the ACC according to the type of vehicle and the risk associated with that vehicle type.

The ACC levy also differs depending on whether a vehicle is petrol or diesel powered. Petrol vehicles pay a lower annual licence fee than diesel vehicles because a portion of the ACC levy is added to the cost of petrol at the pump. For diesel vehicles, the entire ACC levy is paid in one lump sum as part of the annual licence fee. This is because diesel fuel is also used for off-road vehicles, such as tractors and boats, as well as machinery.

As mentioned above, the levy is set by the ACC and therefore we suggest that you contact the ACC levy complaint line on 0508 426 837 if you require any further information on the levy and the vehicle classification system.

You may also be interested to know that the Vehicle Licensing Reform project was recently announced. This is a joint Ministry of Transport and NZ Transport Agency review of annual vehicle licensing, warrant of fitness, certificate of fitness and transport services licensing systems which will explore opportunities to make each of the systems more simple and efficient. Further details of the review can be found on the Ministry of Transport website at:

http://www.transport.govt.nz/ourwork/Land/vehiclelicensingreformconsultation/

The scope of this review includes alternative options for collecting the ACC levy, which is a significant component of the costs that are associated with licensing a motorcycle.

Ellena

__________________________________________________ ________

Customer Response Team

NZ Transport Agency
Private Bag 11777
Palmerston North 4442
New Zealand

It’s quick and easy to pay for your vehicle licence online at www.nzta.govt.nz and we post you the label!

Sooooo it's Different department, diferent system?

Akzle
4th December 2012, 16:46
...the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS). Learner and restricted motorcycle riders have a wide range of motorcycles to choose from, up to an engine capacity limit of 660 cc but are restricted to a maximum power-to-weight ratio of 150 kW to 90 kg. More information can be obtained on our website at:

LMFAO..
well, you've got it in writing signed by a minister. i'm off to find a bike that's 150kW/90kg!!!

Akzle
4th December 2012, 16:51
PS, i'm pretty sure i was closest in terms of reply content.

what do i win? :first:

BoristheBiter
4th December 2012, 16:59
PS, i'm pretty sure i was closest in terms of reply content.

what do i win? :first:

A colour change

Ocean1
4th December 2012, 17:29
officious waffle

I see the NZTA has adopted inland revenue's perverted noun for victim.

Akzle
4th December 2012, 19:10
I see the NZTA has adopted inland revenue's perverted noun for victim.

:nono:
you're buying a service, ergo, you are a customer.

scracha
4th December 2012, 19:46

Ignore him. He's unaware he's acting as an agent for the government. He's fell hook line and sinker for the "divide and conquer" propaganda. Governments learn't that shit from a geezer in Germany a few decades back. I'll bet this good citizen also grasses up tradesmen doing cashies.

Pay your rego / don't pay your rego; But don't blame those who choose the latter option for the government effectively saying "fuck you" to those who pay.

High Lord
4th December 2012, 21:18
LMFAO..
well, you've got it in writing signed by a minister. i'm off to find a bike that's 150kW/90kg!!!

+1 let's go !

HenryDorsetCase
5th December 2012, 07:55
+1 let's go !

RS125 Honda?

Akzle
5th December 2012, 13:00
RS125 Honda?

uhh. that's 1667 kW/t.

trust me tom, i've done the maths.

SPman
5th December 2012, 14:16
Turbo'ed RC211V.....?

Akzle
5th December 2012, 16:11
Turbo'ed RC211V.....?

maybe... if it was 2 stroke. and you strapped three engines into one bike.