PDA

View Full Version : RGV150 on premix? And filter question

Steven T
25th November 2012, 20:48
I've just bought a RGV150 and am in the process of turning it from a sport bike to a 80s style cafe racer looking thing.

Anyway, to get rid of the oil tank and some weight, would it be easy enough to change to premix? I would just like to clean up the lines as much as possible.

Also I would like to ditch the airbox and run a pod filter, but I know that would not be fun to tune, so I was thinking of blocking up the inside of the filter so that it doesn't draw much air. I understand this would have no performance gains, it's purely a visual thing.

Last question. As I understand, two strokes are extremely susceptible to exhaust modifications. However the muffler tip it's self bends down. It looks like a flacid penis. Would cutting the tip have a negative impact on the muffler?

Sorry for all the beginner questions, any help is appreciated.

FJRider
25th November 2012, 21:02
Pre-mix is a hassle at the servo ... better to hide or re-site the oil tank with a bit of imagination/skill.

Pod filters are usually ok ... you may need to re-jet, but that's a simple process ... any performance gains would be small ...

As for the exhaust ... any performance loss would be small ... if any ...

Steven T
25th November 2012, 21:03
Perfect, Thanks for that

Sable
26th November 2012, 04:01
An RGV150 is the air cooled one right? Don't bother, people will just laugh at you and you'll waste money.

Steven T
26th November 2012, 07:19
An RGV150 is the air cooled one right? Don't bother, people will just laugh at you and you'll waste money.

I don't mind people laughing at me

Asher
26th November 2012, 07:28
The easiest way to get rid of the oil reservoir would be to cut the oil line to the pump and clamp or tie it off, the pump is feed off the crank so if you want to remove it you would need to blank it off.

Any wouldn't be many mods you could do to the silencer that would require re jetting.

Steven T
26th November 2012, 08:00
The easiest way to get rid of the oil reservoir would be to cut the oil line to the pump and clamp or tie it off, the pump is feed off the crank so if you want to remove it you would need to blank it off.

Any wouldn't be many mods you could do to the silencer that would require re jetting.

Thanks. I think it may be easier to make a new oil reservoir then.

And that's good to hear. I didn't think cutting the silencer tip would make much of a difference, but I had heard they are extremely finicky, so I just wanted to make sure.

SS90
5th December 2012, 06:58
I don't mind people laughing at me

Great answer man, do what you like, it's nice too see someone honest about their skills!

Try to keep the autolube if you can, it saves you loads on oil!

Akzle
5th December 2012, 13:08
Anyway, to get rid of the oil tank and some weight, would it be easy enough to change to premix? I would just like to clean up the lines as much as possible.

Also I would like to ditch the airbox and run a pod filter, but I know that would not be fun to tune, so I was thinking of blocking up the inside of the filter so that it doesn't draw much air. I understand this would have no performance gains, it's purely a visual thing.

Last question. As I understand, two strokes are extremely susceptible to exhaust modifications. However the muffler tip it's self bends down. It looks like a flacid penis. Would cutting the tip have a negative impact on the muffler?

1. anything is possible. this, i would not recommend, because it's difficult.

2. stick a pod on and tune the fucker. go up a couple of jet sizes and you should be about sweet.

3. that tip is probably only there to stop water and shit getting up the pipe. as long as the hole stays the same size, the throuhput will be teh same.

F5 Dave
5th December 2012, 13:53
RGV150s are cheap & cheerful, but they aren't a paragon of reliability. the RG150 is a better beast in this respect, although the RG150 likes to drop its powervalves & its oil pump is prone to failure which is odd as they have been super reliable in Japanese Suzukis from day one late 60s. I'm not sure of the pump failure continues into the RGV150 as well.

Every RGV I've heard of has cracked the piston over the crown, can't say why that happens but it might be a good idea to change it every so often before that happens.

There has been some freely flowing premix advice above that seems like a good idea to sprout on the internet. Where it falls down is the fact that the right hand main bearing is fed from the oil pump rather than the seal being on the other side of the gearbox. So if you just blank the pump lines off that bearing will have a considerably shortened life. Good one guys.

What I did with mine (as a bucket sleeved to 125cc) was drill a hole from the top of the transfer floor down to feed the bearing, just the same as the other side.

Steven T
5th December 2012, 17:29
Great answer man, do what you like, it's nice too see someone honest about their skills!

Try to keep the autolube if you can, it saves you loads on oil!

Thanks, if I'm going to fuck around with a bike, I'm not going to do it to one that took me years to save for. I value ingenuity over deep pockets, so if I can make a piece of shit look cool I'm happy

Steven T
5th December 2012, 17:32
1. anything is possible. this, i would not recommend, because it's difficult.

2. stick a pod on and tune the fucker. go up a couple of jet sizes and you should be about sweet.

3. that tip is probably only there to stop water and shit getting up the pipe. as long as the hole stays the same size, the throuhput will be teh same.

I haven't tuned a bike before, so it will be a learning curve. So two main jet sizes should be in the right ball park?

Thanks

Steven T
5th December 2012, 17:36
RGV150s are cheap & cheerful, but they aren't a paragon of reliability. the RG150 is a better beast in this respect, although the RG150 likes to drop its powervalves & its oil pump is prone to failure which is odd as they have been super reliable in Japanese Suzukis from day one late 60s. I'm not sure of the pump failure continues into the RGV150 as well.

Every RGV I've heard of has cracked the piston over the crown, can't say why that happens but it might be a good idea to change it every so often before that happens.

There has been some freely flowing premix advice above that seems like a good idea to sprout on the internet. Where it falls down is the fact that the right hand main bearing is fed from the oil pump rather than the seal being on the other side of the gearbox. So if you just blank the pump lines off that bearing will have a considerably shortened life. Good one guys.

What I did with mine (as a bucket sleeved to 125cc) was drill a hole from the top of the transfer floor down to feed the bearing, just the same as the other side.

I got this bike for $500 so I couldn't be picky unfortunately. How often do you recommend changing the piston? I think keeping the oil tank will be easier then?

Steven T
5th December 2012, 17:37
if anyone wants to watch the build/rebuild it's here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/154829-RGV150-Cafe-Build?highlight=rgv150

FJRider
5th December 2012, 18:10
I value ingenuity over deep pockets, so if I can make a piece of shit look cool I'm happy

An RGV150 will NEVER be cool. But it WILL be your bike. YOUR ingenuity ... and people WILL laugh at it ... as people do. :devil2:

But it will be your bike ... and if you like it ... its perfectly OK ... <_<

A few members on this site would LOVE to have an RGV150 ... as it's more than they have at the moment. Or ... BETTER than their current ride. :laugh:

Go for it guy ... :msn-wink:

F5 Dave
6th December 2012, 08:25
Hey a mate is riding one to work atm & loves it. Small bikes are fun & saves wearing out exotica.

Akzle
6th December 2012, 15:31
I haven't tuned a bike before, so it will be a learning curve. So two main jet sizes should be in the right ball park?

Thanks

without knowing how fucked your head/piston/rings are and how gunked up your exhaust system is, it's difficult to say.

what is easy to say is that you'll be drawing 300% (ish) more air than you were before. which would indicate a 300% (ish) increase in fuel going through, and a 293.7% increase in required muffler throughput. you MIGHT get it by clipping your needle a couple down, but more likely to require a bigger main.

get it to it!

F5 Dave
6th December 2012, 15:41
. . . .what is easy to say is that you'll be drawing 300% (ish) more air than you were before. which would indicate a 300% (ish) increase in fuel going through, and a 293.7% increase in required muffler throughput. you MIGHT get it by clipping your needle a couple down, but more likely to require a bigger main.

get it to it!

Yeah its easy to say that, but totally wrong. I mean not even close. Not even in the ball park.

What the hell are you on? I mean if you were passing 3x the air you would have to be running a truck supercharger & expect a life of the engine to be 1/2 a revolution.

Any way you wash it, why do you give such advice when you clearly don't have a flippin clue?

On top of that the needle advice is only going to affect partial throttle opening. At WFO throttle position only the MJ will matter a damn.

If I appear rude, its only because I can't think of any other way to put it.

Akzle
6th December 2012, 15:50
Yeah its easy to say that, but totally wrong. I mean not even close. Not even in the ball park.

What the hell are you on? I mean if you were passing 3x the air you would have to be running a truck supercharger & expect a life of the engine to be 1/2 a revolution.

Any way you wash it, why do you give such advice when you clearly don't have a flippin clue?

On top of that the needle advice is only going to affect partial throttle opening. At WFO throttle position only the MJ will matter a damn.

:killingme

have a beer bro. i am.

do you think anyone, round here takes me seriously??, let alone when i'm (fairly clearly?) exercising my hyperbolic license?
and incase you didn't read about 3 posts back, i did suggest going up a couple of jet sizes to get him to where he can fine tune his shit.

you think this guy's so hero he's going wfo straight off a build?

chill bro. give me your wife's number, i'll tell her you need a BJ.

F5 Dave
6th December 2012, 15:57
This poor chap has 19 posts, he could well listen to you not realising you just come on here to pose as an internet expert, heck I forget who's who & who is full of it from time to time.

Akzle
6th December 2012, 16:59
This poor chap has 19 posts, he could well listen to you not realising you just come on here to pose as an internet expert, heck I forget who's who & who is full of it from time to time.

srsly bro?

the only people that think you'll get 300% off a pod filter drive "sacked out" honda civics with 6" muffler tips on them...

i might not be as l33t as you obviously are, but i'm pretty fucken l33t.

Steven T
6th December 2012, 23:11
Well I think a pod may possibly flow 300% better than the airbox, I'm pretty sure it wont pump 300% more air into the engine. lol.

Don't worry I can sort the fact from the lols. I grew up working on cars, I've just moved onto bikes now

Steven T
9th December 2012, 15:44
There's only one brake pad on the front brake. is this normal?

F5 Dave
11th December 2012, 08:13
only if you buy the bike off a complete muppet.

Steven T
12th December 2012, 12:44
only if you buy the bike off a complete muppet.

Turns out the floating pad has probably worn out and fell out

iranana
15th February 2013, 11:24
However the muffler tip it's self bends down. It looks like a flacid penis.

Hahaha couldn't agree more. I've got one of these little shitters (but not for much longer) and like people say, they're built to their price. In saying that, mine's still running and despite their horrible appearance, disgusting fairings, spoke wheels, terrible drum brake, tiny rear tyre etc. they can be fun to ride around on, just gotta wind them up to red-line is all... So good on ya for making it look less terrible, they're really not the worst bikes around and can be surprisingly nippy if you ring the shit out of them :niceone: