PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton to Palmy in 1 day - best route?

maxwellee
27th November 2012, 12:33
Hi Everyone,
I am probably going to just go as hard as I can down SH1, but are there any cool detours along the way that anyone recommends?
cheers

Paul in NZ
27th November 2012, 12:45
If it was me I'd avoid starting in Hamilton and finishing in Palmy - the rests pretty good though....:cool:

Usarka
27th November 2012, 12:47
Via New Plymouth?

Maybe SH43? Although i think there may be gravel parts.

Seriously, if I was going to palmy I'd take the longest route I could find!

maxwellee
27th November 2012, 12:51
If it was me I'd avoid starting in Hamilton and finishing in Palmy - the rests pretty good though....:cool:

thanks Paul, i know it's not "the long way round" but it's still pretty epic for me, I've never ridden that far, not by half. should be fun!

maxwellee
27th November 2012, 12:54
Via New Plymouth?

thanks Usarka, I'll google it, I love gravel, as long as it doesn't make it take too long... I've only got 1 day.

you guys crack me up, I know Hammy and Palmy are not Paris or Adelaide, but it's what I'm stuck with for this trip.

maxwellee
27th November 2012, 12:58
Via New Plymouth?

I think I will skoot down to new plymouth first - I love the coast, thanks :)

Usarka
27th November 2012, 13:00
but it's still pretty epic for me, I've never ridden that far, not by half. should be fun!

In that case my options might be biting off a bit much. SH43 route would be about 500km and guessing at 5-6 hours assuming an avg/sensible pace.

If you haven't done it before then there's nothing wrong with SH1 and the desert road as long as you watch for cops & speed.

maxwellee
27th November 2012, 13:15
In that case my options might be biting off a bit much. SH43 route would be about 500km and guessing at 5-6 hours assuming an avg/sensible pace.

If you haven't done it before then there's nothing wrong with SH1 and the desert road as long as you watch for cops & speed.

I was getting excited about going via new plymouth... can i please go that way? i will stop heaps and stay hydrated. please.

ducatilover
27th November 2012, 13:21
If you like gravel do SH43/the forgotten highway, amazing road (IMO one of, if not the, best in the NI)

Look at some of the roads here on day 5 and 6 http://www.silverfernrally.co.nz/rally2012/maps.php we covered some brilliant bits of tarmac and gravel in the service vehicles

caspernz
27th November 2012, 13:41
If you reckon Hamilton to Palmy is a big ride then maybe start doing it via State 1??

See how the body feels when you get to your destination and make a detour on the way home...

Paraparas are always fun (Wanganui to Raetihi) and National Park to Te Kuiti is more adventurous than State 1.

FJRider
27th November 2012, 13:56
Auckland to Wellington is a good day ride. Anything less is .... well ... less ... :rolleyes:

TheTengTheory
27th November 2012, 13:59
Most people would consider Hamilton to palmy in a car a one day event. No experience on a bike but I'll assume unless you've done plenty of long distance rides it'll be one helluva stretch. Won't make a difference how hydrated you are if your whole body is fatigued.

Plus if you are still rearing to go when you hit palmy try doing pahiatua track saddle road or the gorge. Fun one hour blast and fark all cops.

ducatilover
27th November 2012, 14:05
Most people would consider Hamilton to palmy in a car a one day event.
You must be joking?
I managed to do more than that per day last week and still have time for food and fixing a rally car :rolleyes: Hamilton to Palmy isn't a big drive/ride

Gremlin
27th November 2012, 15:40
Being your first big trip, I'd keep it simple. Plenty of time to expand later...

Mental Trousers
27th November 2012, 15:42
Go down the Western side of Karapiro/Waikato river until you're almost at Whakamaru, then SH30 through Bennydale, down SH3 to New Plymouth, around the Surf Highway to Hawera then back onto SH3.

Bit of a wander and it'll take you a good 5+ hours not including breaks, but it's good riding all the way.

PM me if you want detailed instructions.

TheTengTheory
27th November 2012, 16:12
You must be joking?
I managed to do more than that per day last week and still have time for food and fixing a rally car :rolleyes: Hamilton to Palmy isn't a big drive/ride

Most people... Not everyone does big drives all that often. I would drive to Auckland and probably bqck to Hamilton possibly tqupo at a stretch but I probably wouldn't attempt that on a bike. Again my inexperience taken into account here. Just my 2 cent :scratch:

Murray
27th November 2012, 16:30
Paraparas are always fun (Wanganui to Raetihi) and National Park to Te Kuiti is more adventurous than State 1.

Totally agree with going this way, done it many times and its no longer than going SH1 as much less traffic

mikemike104
27th November 2012, 17:54
Via New Plymouth?

Did 43 recently, 12km's of gravel (I measured) so no big deal on KLR

Being your first big trip, I'd keep it simple. Plenty of time to expand later...

I reckon pretty much this, keep it simple. Straight to New Plymouth, Lunch then on through Whanganui and then Palmerston North. Still probably going to take you most of the day, I see this trip looking like this..

Hamilton - Te Kuiti (one hour) - TK - Mokau (one hour) Mokau - Inglewood turnoff (50m) turnoff - Hawera (50m) Hawera - Whanganui (one hour) - Whanganui - Palmy (one hour)

That's roughly 5 hours 40 minutes with out stops!

Take it easy bro! :scooter:

insomnia01
28th November 2012, 06:23
follow SH3 to Mokau/Awakino @20km south turn off Okau Road as you come in to Ahititi & follow through to Tahora, you miss out the gravel section on SH43 but there is still gravel on Okau road through to Mt Dampner, you come out at the Moki tunnel

yod
28th November 2012, 12:32
Te Kuiti to New Plymouth is only interesting as far as Urenui, from there all the way to PN is boring as shite. Far more fun doing the whole of SH4 to Wangas or cutting across to SH1 through Ohakune and then turning left onto SH54 (Vinegar Hill)

insomnia01
28th November 2012, 12:56
Te Kuiti to New Plymouth is only interesting as far as Urenui, from there all the way to PN is boring as shite. Far more fun doing the whole of SH4 to Wangas or cutting across to SH1 through Ohakune and then turning left onto SH54 (Vinegar Hill)

thats why I turn off onto Okau Rd VERY INTERESTING road there on in

SPman
28th November 2012, 13:15
Last time I went this way,(from Auckland) it was through the back road to Otorohonga, down through National Park, divert off down through the Paraparas to Wanganui, then on to (through) PN. Then carried on down the west side and back over the Rimutakas. The next day I went back up the same way to Wanganui and carried on back via New Plymouth! Made a good weekend ride......and on a Gixxer thou it wasn't too uncomfortable....

release_the_bees
29th November 2012, 11:35
Paraparas are always fun (Wanganui to Raetihi)

If you do go this way, keep an eye out for bloody big rocks on the road around blind corners. Other than that it is a great road.

GrayWolf
29th November 2012, 11:45
Auckland to Wellington is a good day ride. Anything less is .... well ... less ... :rolleyes:

wellington to Invergumboot, or wellington to rotovegas (return) are a good days ride too.

maxwellee
5th December 2012, 18:28
thanks everyone for you responses.
cheers

and the winner is: SH39 down to Otorohanga, SH3 down to Okau Road, back up SH43 to Taumarunui, and all the way down SH4 to Whanganui.
(still yet to plan the return trip)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll get a camera and post pics.

Cheers again :)