PDA

View Full Version : RGV150 Cafe Build

Steven T
29th November 2012, 09:17
In an attempt to create something completely unique, I looked for the strangest thing I could find for a project. Thus the RGV cafe. I got it off trademe for quite cheap with rego on hold, needing wheel bearings, brake pads, a tyre puncture repair and probably a few other things, but it runs nicely so that's all that matters. It's going to be a reasonably simple build for now, largely cosmetic, but if I find a spare engine for cheap enough I may rebuild it and swap it in. I know some people will piss on this thread/project, but I'm not worried. It's a cheap bike. It's lightweight and handles nice, and it's a bit of a laugh. After a few hours of pulling it apart and having a general fuckaround with it, it started to improve. The clipons were some I had lying around from another project, as is the seat, which is just to keep my arse from slipping between the frame rails. I will update this from time to time.

gammaguy
29th November 2012, 15:59
like you said,its the strangest thing you could find for a project

check out what the japanese do to GT380 s.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bYceSfluL4I

koba
29th November 2012, 16:35
Blah, Blah... but it runs nicely... Blah, Blah.

Not for long.

I've seen heaps of these bikes but never one without a nuked crank.

Still, cool. and it will be interesting to see how it goes for you.
If the engine nukes itself I'd suggest just using something else; maybe trailbike 2 stroke or something.

Steven T
30th November 2012, 11:21
like you said,its the strangest thing you could find for a project

check out what the japanese do to GT380 s.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bYceSfluL4I

What did I just watch...

Steven T
30th November 2012, 11:22
Not for long.

I've seen heaps of these bikes but never one without a nuked crank.

Still, cool. and it will be interesting to see how it goes for you.
If the engine nukes itself I'd suggest just using something else; maybe trailbike 2 stroke or something.

Why is it that they shit themselves? Poor engineering or just people forgetting to top up the oil?

koba
1st December 2012, 08:50
Why is it that they shit themselves? Poor engineering or just people forgetting to top up the oil?

Possibly some of the latter but I think mostly because they are built to a price. A very low price.

Steven T
4th December 2012, 10:40
So I have pulled out the battery/air box in anticipation of a pod filter. Polished a hole bunch of crap like the fuel cap, forks and top triple clamp. Took the back wheel off and cleaned up the rear brakes. gave the tank a coat of silver.

there are budget builds and there are budget builds. This is the latter. The tail piece is actually off an old gsx400e modified to fit and I will add a seat to it soon, and I plan to use the front light from that too.

Anyone know where I could get, or have for sale, a spare engine for this? I would like to rebuild one and throw it in at some time