PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

Merwood
10th August 2005, 22:09
hey guys/gals

just wondering if height is much of a problem for biking :weird:, im keen to get a bike and have roughly 5k saved, am looking for a cbr250 or zxr250, im borderline 6ft and am just wondering if ill fit on one of em ? i thought id ask for advice before actually going out and sitting on some for height/comfort tests, any advice at all would be good, thanks.

Gremlin
10th August 2005, 22:13
You will probably be a little cramped, but you will need to have a sit to find out. If you go to something a little less sporty like a ZZR, is will have a bit more space.

From your description, you already have a cbr, so why are you asking??

awesker
10th August 2005, 22:28
Good luck fitting on a cbr :p try a zxr perhaps? my mates pretty tall and his knees fit just behind the fairing pretty nice. So yeah, my guess is look for a zxr (though cbrs are better :p).

DemonWolf
10th August 2005, 22:30
welcome to BK Merwood.. =)

HDTboy
10th August 2005, 22:42
You'll be right, buy mine I'm 6 foot and it won't cost you 5k

texmo
10th August 2005, 22:46
how much for yours?

John
10th August 2005, 22:49
how much for yours?
His cost one cheeseburger and fries, he told me...

welcome newfellow, best way is to go sit on some bikes in the shops, only way to do it, and make sure you ride all of them :yes:

poorbastard
10th August 2005, 23:11
You should be fine im just over 6ft and the 250s ive been on seem ok. Best to try for yourself tho.

By the way welcome

WildBoarMouse
11th August 2005, 07:12
I'm about 6'3" and there's no way in hell I can fit (comfortably) on a CBR250. Best bet is to go into a dealer who has one, and generally they'll be quite happy to hold it there while you sit on it and check for sizing... especially if they think there's any chance of you buying. :yes:

If you want to save yourself $2k, find a 2003-2004 model GSX250 (usually less than 10,000km on the clock) for around $3.5k-$4k. You get what's essentially a new bike for cheaper... okay, so it's lacking in power compared to a CBR but you're also paying through the teeth for a 10-15 year old bike with 3-6x as many k's on the clock!!!!! If you're over 25 you've got the advantage of being able to sell it off in as little as 9 months. Otherwise, at least you've found a bike that probably even has a service history and if you're lucky, just one owner.

Just as a matter of convincing... have a look at the 400cc and 600cc bikes as well. You'll notice that many of them (same age/kms) are almost the same price as the 250cc varient. Save some money! Get some saftey gear that will last you the next five or more years! Okay, I'm bias because I have the GSX250... :) But I spent about three months looking at prices and comparing bikes before buying.

If you've got the money to blow, get the CBR :) They are a nice looking bike! If you're price concious and want bang for buck, you're possibly better off getting the newest bike you can for as little as possible. Also means it's going to retain it's sale price a bit better.

Just my 2c... I'm sure some people will think differently to my rambles :yes: If you want a closer look at a GSX send me a PM and let me know where you are in Auckland :)

Jonty
11th August 2005, 08:20
Welcome.

Make sure in about a week you ask if lane spliting is legal or not.

Or if you can ride in the bus lanes :no:

placidfemme
11th August 2005, 08:28
Welcome.

Make sure in about a week you ask if lane spliting is legal or not.

lol :clap: yeah we enjoy those kinda questions...

Welcome by the way...

And seriously... get a ZXR
they really are the best

texmo
11th August 2005, 12:28
lane splitting is legal A friend of mine got caught doing it on the on ramp to the motorway at kyberpass. the officer said he was lane splitting and he denied it officer said wht were you doing then, he casualy replyed point at the sign "merging like a zip"