PDA

View Full Version : Street fighter questions

SNF
2nd December 2012, 09:07
I used the search function before posting this, also looking about on the web too, maybe I didn't look hard enough if it has already been covered?
My fairings are pretty beat, could be fixed but I'm kind of into the street fighter look. I have seen R1 and R6 tail conversions done on older FZR series bikes. Will I need a cert even if I mount the R6 or R1 tail to my stock FZR frame?

GSF
2nd December 2012, 09:31
If you can drop the R1/R6 tail on without serious modifications it should be sweet.
I read through the LVVTA thresholds a while ago, and it only really starts to kick in on a motorbike when you modify steering, suspension and brakes (like doing a front-end conversion) or modifying the frame.
That said there are a fair few people who are riding bikes with a swapped out front end and no cert because a lot of the time people don't realise the front end is not standard for the bike.

What's actually involved in making the R tail fit the FZR?

SNF
2nd December 2012, 10:27
From what I have seen people just swap in the R6/R1 frame with the tail. Some alteration for them to fit the FZR frame. I found a site which sells a tail conversion which only needs drilling in the tail itself to fit the stock frame. Have to move the overflow and a few other little things but it sounds okay. $200 usd though but better than a cert I guess.

bogan
2nd December 2012, 10:42
The whole certing thing is often pretty much a grey area. Just make it look tidy and professional and you should be sweet.

All my vehicles fall into this grey area, and I've only been asked to get one (the van) certed once, then got some more info on the specific rules etc, took it back to the wof place, got a different dude who gave me the wof. Same place know my bike is modified (fork swap and new tail) but there has never been a mention of a cert.

SNF
2nd December 2012, 11:05
I never go to VTNZ or any of those idiots anyway - they are too inconsistent. Took a car there ages ago. Failed it on something that had been fixed, can't remember what now. Drove around to the next lane. Pass. WTF. Never again.

The tail is last on my list but I thought I'd find out first since its the thing that would need the most modding/cause the most legal crap.

Anyway this is what I meant using R1 tail and stock frame: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/fzrr1guide.htm

SNF
5th December 2012, 21:55
Decided against a tail swap - on my L's with a ton of mods is asking for trouble. Gonna do a tail chop and tail tidy with some aftermarket lights.

ducatilover
5th December 2012, 22:23
Just do it
If it's tidy, you'll be fine

It will be interesting to see what happens when my bike goes in for its VIN approval... new tail, forks etc