PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on Boots

Gremlin
11th August 2005, 00:07
Been looking into getting some motorcycle intended boots, better ankle support, armour etc. Currently I'm using bobcat styled boots, but they don't offer as much protection, and my left boot's top is taking a hammering from the gear changing.

What things/features would I be looking for?? Waterproof is necessary for winter, other than that?? Removable Sliders seems to be bandied about?

General cost for entrish boots?? Brands to look for, stear clear of?

What are people's opinions on the two below:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=32958784
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=33059399

Cheers

Zapf
11th August 2005, 00:21
I say walk into AMPS / Colemans / Motomail and try them all on.... then look at the one u like and see who has the best price :)

I am happy with my Sidi boot with plastic sliders at all the right places.

justsomeguy
11th August 2005, 00:21
Personally speaking since these are a safety item I'd recommend buying them brand new and from a decent bike shop.

Make sure they are fully water proof - that is very important. Not always but waterproof boots also tend to offer better heat insulation or prevent cold air from entering.

The areas you'll most probably wear out the fastest are the outside edge of your toes so make sure the boot has some extra padding there.

You want good strong ankle support but the boot should also have some amount of flex to allow for some natural movement.

Next think about what you are going to use the boot for - some boots are easier to walk in, where as some are better for only on the bike. Keep this in mind.

Make sure the boots match your pants in terms of the two parts of clothing fitting together comfortably.

See how they feel go walk around in them and sit on the bike and see how it feels.

I personally recommend a pretty tight fit as the leather will give a little bit as it adjusts to your foot, however the tight fit is very important as you don't want any sliding between the shoe and your foot if you crash.
I own a pair of Diadora Sports boots which aren't waterproof which I got for $150 on special -down from $250. They've done a great job so far and survived a crash from about 80ks perfectly.

Others here own more expensive SPIDI boots which they say are great. Visit all the shops as everyone have different items on special and most shops will match prices of other shops on similar (not necessarily same) goods if you are polite with them.

Ixion
11th August 2005, 00:44
Been looking into getting some motorcycle intended boots, better ankle support, armour etc. Currently I'm using bobcat styled boots, but they don't offer as much protection, and my left boot's top is taking a hammering from the gear changing.

What things/features would I be looking for?? Waterproof is necessary for winter, other than that?? Removable Sliders seems to be bandied about?

General cost for entrish boots?? Brands to look for, stear clear of?

What are people's opinions on the two below:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=32958784
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=33059399

Cheers

Waterproof boots. Dream on. No such thing. What you need, my son, is a pair of gaiters , from your friendly local Army Surplus.Cheap as chips, add heaps of dubbin, and then you will indeed be waterproofed. And extra protection too.

Gremlin
11th August 2005, 00:47
Waterproof boots. Dream on. No such thing. What you need, my son, is a pair of gaiters , from your friendly local Army Surplus.Cheap as chips, add heaps of dubbin, and then you will indeed be waterproofed. And extra protection too.
*tootles off to google image gaiters* err... I'm not a tramper...

obviously you've had a couple of bad experiences?? So far, I've found that if something is waterproof it generally is, unless water gets through a gap, then you get the slow sensation of getting wet :no:

justsomeguy
11th August 2005, 00:52
*tootles off to google image gaiters* err... I'm not a tramper...

obviously you've had a couple of bad experiences?? So far, I've found that if something is waterproof it generally is, unless water gets through a gap, then you get the slow sensation of getting wet :no:

You do get waterproof boots - but if you want to ride for 6 hours in a storm trying to reach Noah's Ark before the world is covered in floods then yeah you may get wet. Search for this topic on KB - there's been a lot of talk.

In the meanwhile you can apply some beeswax to your boots to make them slightly more waterproof.

Dadpole
11th August 2005, 00:55
Don't forget the jandals to go with the gaiters. All that we country folk need

Gremlin
11th August 2005, 00:55
yeah, busying searching now, found a good list of features from ?Ixion? in some post:
* Non-slip sole (rubber, rather than plastic that dissolves when walking in spilt petrol on service station forecourts).
* Waterproofing of some sort.
* Warmth / padding.
* Heel, toe, shin, and ankle protection (usually via plastic inserts / cups between the outer boot and lining).
* Protector on top of the boot to stop the gearlever eating the boot.
* Firm closure/fastening of some sort, to stop the boots coming off if you crash.
* Reasonably good construction, to stop them coming apart through normal use or in a crash. (Sidis are usually very good, whereas as some AlpineStars' soles come away from the boot very readily).
* Good fit (more to do with size than manufacture).
* Comfort (on the bike at least, although being able to walk in them is a bonus).
* If it's a sport boot, replaceable sliders.
* Reflectors.
* Style (for posing).

oldfart
11th August 2005, 07:04
Years ago I would have agreed with there being no such thing as waterproof boots. Then I bought a pair of Sidi's :yes: :love: . Commuted for 3 years with these in tropical downpurs, winter storms etc, never leaked once or let in a drop of water. Thoroughly recommend them

James Deuce
11th August 2005, 07:09
OXtar TCS.

Water proof (did the 6 hour ride in the rain searching for Noah's Ark thing to test them), comfy, and they have a sexy exo-skeleton look to them.

Quasievil
11th August 2005, 07:11
Do you want mine Gremlin ? they arent waterproof or the offer minimal ankle support for a boot, they are the basic Gearne brand. sounds like you want something more expenisver ?

I was going to sought it out this weekend for you, let me know

SARGE
11th August 2005, 07:49
i just wear high lace-up work boots for everyday use..they support the ankle and i can work in them all day. for the SERIOUS hoons i wear Fox Tracker MX boots so everyone will think i ride a Ducati :rofl:

i dont worry too much about waterproof personally..thats just me though.. your milage may vary

Mr Skid
11th August 2005, 10:17
i just wear high lace-up work boots for everyday use..they support the ankle and i can work in them all day. for the SERIOUS hoons i wear Fox Tracker MX boots so everyone will think i ride a Ducati :rofl:

i dont worry too much about waterproof personally..thats just me though.. your milage may varyI would have thought the fox trackers would have been too heavy and stiff for a road bike.
How are they for feel on the bike?

Lou Girardin
11th August 2005, 10:30
My Oxtar Explorers kept out 4 hours of West Coast rain, not a drop got inside.
of course you could wear gaitors over big red clown shoes too.

SARGE
11th August 2005, 11:25
I would have thought the fox trackers would have been too heavy and stiff for a road bike.
How are they for feel on the bike?

i wore them at work for a few days till i got them broken in ( on my poor feet..) but now they rock :Punk: .. no problems at all as far as stiffness.. i oiled them up when i first got them and keep them oiled once a week on the ankles..

bkrwench
11th August 2005, 11:32
if your prone to getting wet oxtar are actually waterproof
and theoretically so is anything elese with gore tec (cant spell for shite)

although my sidis leaked.

dont forget to ask for 10% discount for cash

Ixion
11th August 2005, 12:34
if your prone to getting wet oxtar are actually waterproof
and theoretically so is anything elese with gore tec (cant spell for shite)

although my sidis leaked.

dont forget to ask for 10% discount for cash

Mine are Oxtars. Claim to be waterproof with magicalWossinamemembrane and all.

Not TOO bad, but not waterproof. I suspect it comes down from the leg hole , not through the leather. And they do get soggy too.

Plus of them is you can walk quite normally in them.

Now, with GAITERS over the top, I hope for true waterproofness.

Smorg
11th August 2005, 12:56
If you worried about waterproofing just tie shopping bags round your feet problem solved..............
I figure if your on a bike you expect to get wet when it rains, well i do anyway :whocares:

Lou Girardin
11th August 2005, 13:13

Not TOO bad, but not waterproof. I suspect it comes down from the leg hole , not through the leather. And they do get soggy too.

If the water is getting down the leg hole, it's not the friggin' boots that leak.

zeRax
11th August 2005, 14:06
dont think my stylmartins leaked , jeans got wet thou from sole of boot ~_~ overpants are awsome btw ;)

Ixion
11th August 2005, 15:05
If the water is getting down the leg hole, it's not the friggin' boots that leak.

Water gets into boot = boots leak.

OK for up to about 4 hours depending on heaviness of rain and wind. Gaiters will work the magic. Wonderful idea. Don R knew whereof he spoke.

Lou Girardin
11th August 2005, 16:07
Water gets into boot = boots leak.

OK for up to about 4 hours depending on heaviness of rain and wind. Gaiters will work the magic. Wonderful idea. Don R knew whereof he spoke.

Did you ever try a few metres of Duct tape wrapped around the top of the boot and your leg?
You'd need a Hazchem warning for when you removed them, but you'd get a free leg wax at the same time.

Ixion
11th August 2005, 17:01
Did you ever try a few metres of Duct tape wrapped around the top of the boot and your leg?
You'd need a Hazchem warning for when you removed them, but you'd get a free leg wax at the same time.

Sort of. I tried puttees, which is basically what you're getting at. They did work, but too much of a hassle getting on and off. Sticky tape won't work, because there has to be movement between the boot upper and the legging (or leg) when you flex your leg .

In extremis I've also used the old trick of taping breadbags over the boots, which does work, more or less.

Lou Girardin
11th August 2005, 17:15
Sort of. I tried puttees, which is basically what you're getting at. They did work, but too much of a hassle getting on and off. Sticky tape won't work, because there has to be movement between the boot upper and the legging (or leg) when you flex your leg .

In extremis I've also used the old trick of taping breadbags over the boots, which does work, more or less.

Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you wear and in or out of the boots?

Ixion
11th August 2005, 17:38
Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you wear and in or out of the boots?

RJay Cordura. Outside the boot (they won't really fit inside anyway, top of boot is too tight). In very wet weather PVC overtrousers over them. In VERY wet weather nylon "over" trousers under the RJays, inside the boots (nylon inside, RJays outside then PVC outside) .

Bonez
11th August 2005, 17:46
John Bull combat boots. Gummies or over boots for those wetter rides.

vifferman
12th August 2005, 08:42
yeah, busying searching now, found a good list of features from ?Ixion? in some post:
* Non-slip sole (rubber, rather than plastic that dissolves when walking in spilt petrol on service station forecourts).
* Waterproofing of some sort.
* Warmth / padding.
* Heel, toe, shin, and ankle protection (usually via plastic inserts / cups between the outer boot and lining).
* Protector on top of the boot to stop the gearlever eating the boot.
* Firm closure/fastening of some sort, to stop the boots coming off if you crash.
* Reasonably good construction, to stop them coming apart through normal use or in a crash. (Sidis are usually very good, whereas as some AlpineStars' soles come away from the boot very readily).
* Good fit (more to do with size than manufacture).
* Comfort (on the bike at least, although being able to walk in them is a bonus).
* If it's a sport boot, replaceable sliders.
* Reflectors.
* Style (for posing).
Ah... that was me, actually. But never mind. It's not a bad list, but most people just go for name brand or looks, and forget everything else. It's important to be styley, y'know. :yes:

Gremlin
12th August 2005, 18:08
Do you want mine Gremlin ? they arent waterproof or the offer minimal ankle support for a boot, they are the basic Gearne brand. sounds like you want something more expenisver ?

I was going to sought it out this weekend for you, let me know
Thanks for the offer, but being a communter as well, I don't get to ride when the weather feels like letting me... so waterproof (well if it says so in the blurb) is a must.

Apologies to you vifferman, I searched, found a neat list, notepaded it and then couldn't remember where I had found it or who had posted it.

Popped into Motomail today to try some different ones on (also had fun making the girl take out 5-7 different boxes :whistle: ). I wasn't wearing my cordura pants (coz of uni) and am wondering. Can any of you actually get your pants into the boot?? I had jeans on, and some were even a struggle with just that. Somebody I saw on the 22 ride was wearing them outside and had the elastic in front of the heal...

Must be my enormous calf muscles... :whistle:

zooter
14th August 2005, 01:06
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Clothing-footwear/Boots/auction-33256329.htm
"nordic" brand

Slipstream
14th August 2005, 01:11
Sidi all the way man....that's 's' 'i' 'd' 'i'

:D

Juan
14th August 2005, 08:51
My adivce..... Wear them....it hurts when you don't!!!!

I use Sidi boots, don't go out in rain unless i have to......although they leaked on our way back from Donington...lots!!!

Zapf
14th August 2005, 09:01
Thanks for the offer, but being a communter as well, I don't get to ride when the weather feels like letting me... so waterproof (well if it says so in the blurb) is a must.

Apologies to you vifferman, I searched, found a neat list, notepaded it and then couldn't remember where I had found it or who had posted it.

Popped into Motomail today to try some different ones on (also had fun making the girl take out 5-7 different boxes :whistle: ). I wasn't wearing my cordura pants (coz of uni) and am wondering. Can any of you actually get your pants into the boot?? I had jeans on, and some were even a struggle with just that. Somebody I saw on the 22 ride was wearing them outside and had the elastic in front of the heal...

Must be my enormous calf muscles... :whistle:

always over the top if u don't want water coming in :) also depends on what style leathers u wear....

Pixie
14th August 2005, 11:04
Ive got 'em.Never had my boots leak in 8 years.
As for gators what about all the chickens you have to feed them, and the pissed off neighbours when dogs start to go missing?

Pixie
14th August 2005, 11:08

Down the leghole doesn't count,that's a pants problem.

Gremlin
14th August 2005, 12:52
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Clothing-footwear/Boots/auction-33256329.htm
"nordic" brand
I was looking at those too, but from the pic, it didn't look like there was a rubber pad on the left boot, which is where I need it.

I have nordic gloves, and haven't found anything wrong, so I reckon Nordic is trustworthy.

The other boots I am looking at are hansa boots on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Clothing-footwear/Boots/auction-33059399.htm). Speaking to y_ild_1 (Lee is her actual name), they seem like a good boot, but Lee is having trouble getting stock. Anybody with experience of hansa??