PDA

View Full Version : Should I mod my Monster?

supremacy
9th December 2012, 19:01
Hey guys,

Just got a Duke. Haven't had it for long but already thinking about doing some mods. Thinking something nice and easy like this:

1. Tail chop with LED tail light
2. Paint engine casings with hight-temp matt black
3. Clip-ons
4. Digital speedo + dash cluster

Anyone tried any of these? Any pointers/recommendations? Just thoughts in my head at this stage, but I'm liking the idea of a tail tidy...

Cheers

ellipsis
9th December 2012, 19:13
...i'm doing a bit of mtb riding and brushing my hair a bit... makes my image a little sharper when i'm out on the 400/Four...a lot cheaper than a tidy tail and electric bits...

Tink
9th December 2012, 19:22
Hey guys,

Just got a Duke. Haven't had it for long but already thinking about doing some mods. Thinking something nice and easy like this:

3. Clip-ons

Anyone tried any of these? Any pointers/recommendations? Just thoughts in my head at this stage, but I'm liking the idea of a tail tidy...

Cheers

What year?

Madness
9th December 2012, 19:25
What year?

I bet you $10 he comes back & says it's a '97.

Virago
9th December 2012, 19:36
What year?

We'll give you a clue...

mossy1200
9th December 2012, 19:43
Hey guys,

3. Clip-ons

Cheers

Take the tyres,seat and hand-grips off then galve dip the whole bike.

You wouldnt catch me altering a perfectly good bike.

98tls
9th December 2012, 19:58
Take the tyres,seat and hand-grips off then galve dip the whole bike.

You wouldnt catch me altering a perfectly good bike.

Me neither but hes talking about a Monster so am somewhat sympathetic.

supremacy
13th December 2012, 10:31
...i'm doing a bit of mtb riding and brushing my hair a bit... makes my image a little sharper when i'm out on the 400/Four...a lot cheaper than a tidy tail and electric bits...

Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was asking a serious question.

I guess next time when I want a serious answer from experienced and coherrant people I'll post elsewhere.

ellipsis
13th December 2012, 22:52
Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was asking a serious question.

I guess next time when I want a serious answer from experienced and coherrant people I'll post elsewhere.

...excuse me, I am hard of hearing...I strive to be coherent but sometimes fail...it's the white noise and pollen that hangs around this time of year.

I have known to be serious at times but not round here. I live under a bridge in this part of KB (the non racing bits)...Drew may be a bit of a 'Shining Wit'...me, I'm nothing more than a 'Trolling Twit'...my deepest and most sincere apologies...dredged up from the bottom of my homo honda heart...as your bike is Irish, maybe adding shamrocks to the paint scheme would make it more 'mod', try some in the tank while you're at it...vast improvement on performance I hear...

Hamel
14th December 2012, 05:43
What is wrong with people on this site? The answer is "Yes!!". Ducatis are different for a start and yours should be more so! For the sake of a bit of money you can have something that's reflective of your attitude, personality or skill-set. And a cooler, better bike.

1) Tail tidies are a common mod, don't alter the frame though.
2) Matt Black paint looks great. If you want to see what it looks like, there a pic of my motor in primer black to give you an idea, but do it properly! i.e. motor out. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/123519-project-1989-900ss-performance-rebuild.html
Vapour honing the motor is the best way to get a paint free finish to start from if you go all out. Do NOT bead/sand/walnut blast it.
3) I used Apex Clip ons from the States on my SS. Really nice. You'll need a new upper-triple. As you didn't say what Monster you've got, I can't advise which. (trail will likely be different so ask on Ducati.ms)
4) Probably not uncommon, but this will really set you back! If you have a 900 Carby Buy some racked 41mm FCRs before you do this.

Jump on sites like Ducati.ms, Il Ducastica, Ducatimonsterforum.org, BikeEXIF for inspiration.

You wont find much in the way of parts etc in NZ, but put some searches on eBay USA and UK and ask around the intl Forums, where there are some really great (and helpful) people.

Have fun and good luck. Cheers

DEATH_INC.
14th December 2012, 06:45
Yep mod the shit out of it. Why be the same as all the others?
Nothing stays stock around here for more than about 5 minutes....