PDA

View Full Version : What is a good first road bike?

ForcedFalcon
10th December 2012, 15:49
Hey guys, So as the title says whats a good first road bike? I've been looking around for my first bike but wanted some peoples opinions before i went out and spent my money.

I've owned a DT175 just to have some fun in the forest and down the beach with friends so I'm not a complete beginner but not the most experienced person.
I was looking at a few FZR250's but I've been told they have carb problems and the front forks have problems?

Any opinions and pros/cons on the FZR250 and other bikes would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

skippa1
10th December 2012, 16:06
what you should do is use the search function and read the multitude of threads that are exactly the same. Then once reading them, you will discover that opinions are like arseholes, we've all got one and they are all different. Then as a final step, you will go out and buy the shiny red one that you had your eye on.

Laava
10th December 2012, 16:35
If you are not a small person and are mature, ie you won,t be doing wheelies and burnouts everywhere, I would recommend that you get something a bit bigger than a 250 for the road. Just my 2c

Berg
10th December 2012, 16:50
What licence have you got? That makes a difference these days.

clonak
10th December 2012, 17:52
Just go all out and get a 1Ltr. You wont be able to regret it.

Theres a few threads in the Newbies section on this same topic. Check out the lams list and google a few bikes, if you see something you like, take one for a ride. If it feels good, buy it. Dont bother with what anyone else says about it, if they make a bad coment about it, they are just jelous.

But you also need to facter in price range, style of bike, distance traveling, likely hood of you actually enjoying it(so you would want something that will hold its value...). Seen a few people go all out on a bike, then never use it.

Or just buy the first cheap bike you see that runs with wof/reg. Thats what I did, to see if I would actually like it. Turns out I loved it. Not the bike, hated the bike, but love riding.

Conquiztador
10th December 2012, 19:13
FWIW:
- Decide how much you can pay
- Decide what you want
- Go and get it.

cheshirecat
10th December 2012, 19:33
yes as above, motorcycles are personal and emotional beasties.

What i would say is the larger the bike the safer it can be providing you keep control of brain and wrist which is easier said than done. Also prangs at familiarity stage - and there will be - tend to more often be of the uber slow speed variety which we all do/have done 'cause the buggers still fall over when we let them go, which is still no excuse for getting a three wheeler.

bosslady
10th December 2012, 19:50
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/153865-Best-bike-for-newbie-with-money-no-barrier is one of the most recent threads on newbie bikes. Of course important details needed for ppl to provide recommendations would be knowing what licence you have, I'm assuming nothing or learners? how much you want to spend? are you more of a cruiser or a sport bike guy? I'm not knowledgeable enough to be giving recommendations based on the fact I'm a sucky newb and know jack shit. I got a 2005 gn250, despite many on here saying they're craps basically, not my concern though, I just want to learn, can always upgrade further down the track...

ForcedFalcon
10th December 2012, 20:10
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/153865-Best-bike-for-newbie-with-money-no-barrier is one of the most recent threads on newbie bikes. Of course important details needed for ppl to provide recommendations would be knowing what licence you have, I'm assuming nothing or learners? how much you want to spend? are you more of a cruiser or a sport bike guy? I'm not knowledgeable enough to be giving recommendations based on the fact I'm a sucky newb and know jack shit. I got a 2005 gn250, despite many on here saying they're craps basically, not my concern though, I just want to learn, can always upgrade further down the track...

Yeah i have no bike license at the moment, Looking to spend around $3000 and definitely sport bikes. That's why i was thinking of a FZR250 or something like it since it'd have good power but not so much I'm going to kill myself. And being only 17 i want to learn ( Even though I've had a bit of experience with dirt bikes ). Pretty much just after something reliable to get from A to B but with a bit of power for sun on the weekends.

bosslady
10th December 2012, 20:24
is that 3k just for the bike or for your gear aswell? that's quite an add on to the cost. I just spent $2100 on a bike and about 1k on gear. Don't forget about rego, warrant, the cost of insurance which you won't be able to get without a license, another cost again for the bhs, learners application and theory test. Not trying to put you off, just giving you something to consider...

ForcedFalcon
11th December 2012, 00:29
is that 3k just for the bike or for your gear aswell? that's quite an add on to the cost. I just spent $2100 on a bike and about 1k on gear. Don't forget about rego, warrant, the cost of insurance which you won't be able to get without a license, another cost again for the bhs, learners application and theory test. Not trying to put you off, just giving you something to consider...

Roughly 3k was just for the bike. I already have riding gear passed on to me from my older brother and a helmet that i got for drifting. Also already did my research before buying a bike and saw the cost of the theory test and basic handling etc. I'm pretty much sorted apart from which bike to buy, That's why i wanted to know the pros and cons of an FZR250 and other similar bikes. Thanks for the info though :niceone:

baffa
11th December 2012, 08:51
If you are after a sports bike, the GN250 is your only choice.

ktm84mxc
11th December 2012, 09:08
On what planet would a GN250 be a sports bike ? It's a commuter with cruiser styling . A Suzuki 250 sports go for a Bandit-gsxf. GSX twin etc, A Honda CBR/Hornet would be outta your price range but the VTR250 possibly sneak in.
Best to stick to the new LAMS approved bikes as it'll make selling it a lot easier when you want to upgrade, which you'll be doing soon as you get that full license.

baffa
11th December 2012, 09:25
You must be joking. The GN250 would be better than all of those poxy options.

Jeff Sichoe
11th December 2012, 10:48
I'd go for the 250 Bandit, lots of grunt for a smaller bike, handles well, can survive low speed drops without too much worry (mainly clutch / brake levers snapping) and a heap of fun :)

Can also handle 100kmh no sweat, and feels stable at that speed.

Also light enough that WHEN you do drop it, you can get it back up yourself, and more then likely be on your way without having to call big bro to come help! :)

unstuck
11th December 2012, 10:55
My nephew just bought his first bike, a GSX 1100R. He got his for 3 grand. He is even going to get a license one day, what a poof.:Punk:

Laava
11th December 2012, 17:11
My nephew just bought his first bike, a GSX 1100R. He got his for 3 grand. He is even going to get a license one day, what a poof.:Punk:

He will begrudgingly watch the GN250's waste him into the weeds!

arcane12
11th December 2012, 17:55
what you should do is use the search function and read the multitude of threads that are exactly the same. Then once reading them, you will discover that opinions are like arseholes, we've all got one and they are all different. Then as a final step, you will go out and buy the shiny red one that you had your eye on.

+1 :laugh:

cheshirecat
11th December 2012, 17:57
Don't get a GN250 they are far too reliable. Get a Triumph Tiger Cub. Rego is uber cheap being pre 1970. exciting brakes that might or might not work - work being a relative of course. Patience testing Landrover like acceleration for which a calender is required and safest bike ever built since 90% of them were never running long enough to get past the garden gate. What is more you will be admired for your perseverance and fortitude, the talking point of the local bike community and be able to reminisce ad nauseum to your future grandchildren.

bosslady
11th December 2012, 21:14
lol I WISH my gn250 was a sports bike, sadly it is not so hahaha

ForcedFalcon
11th December 2012, 21:42
Don't get a GN250 they are far too reliable. Get a Triumph Tiger Cub. Rego is uber cheap being pre 1970. exciting brakes that might or might not work - work being a relative of course. Patience testing Landrover like acceleration for which a calender is required and safest bike ever built since 90% of them were never running long enough to get past the garden gate. What is more you will be admired for your perseverance and fortitude, the talking point of the local bike community and be able to reminisce ad nauseum to your future grandchildren.

Far too reliable? That's exactly what i want haha. All i really want is a bike to get from A to B with but with a bit of power and style for the weekends. With 2 project cars and a drift missile reliability would be a nice change of pace :laugh:

bosslady
11th December 2012, 21:53
wow wish I had that kinda cash money when I was 17 :gob: unfortunately for me I was already barefoot and pregnant :laugh:
If you want to look like a boss, don't get a gn250... if you want reliable, something with plenty of spare parts, good 're sell price, easy to learn on, all of which I have been told by many a people this bike is, then go for it. That said, I'm a girl, I suck, I've got this bike, do the maths, she ain't gonna get you any fly bitches... unless of course it's red and shiny.

Mr. Peanut
12th December 2012, 01:14

ForcedFalcon
12th December 2012, 01:36
wow wish I had that kinda cash money when I was 17 :gob: unfortunately for me I was already barefoot and pregnant :laugh:
If you want to look like a boss, don't get a gn250... if you want reliable, something with plenty of spare parts, good 're sell price, easy to learn on, all of which I have been told by many a people this bike is, then go for it. That said, I'm a girl, I suck, I've got this bike, do the maths, she ain't gonna get you any fly bitches... unless of course it's red and shiny.

Hahaha, You make out like I'm rich. Just hard work and determination really :P. I've narrowed my choices down to a FZR250 and a CBR250 since they look like sex on wheels for minimal price and don't seem to have many problems.

I've found one of each for $2500 with roughly the same K's and both in the same area so its down to whichever is more reliable, Although the sound of the FZR250 is sexy as hell so that gives it an edge at the moment :laugh:

Zamzam
12th December 2012, 15:53
I used to have a cbr250 and was a mint bike. I also rode the fzr and gsxr. I found the cbr had a lower centre of gravity, wider tires and a generally nicer bike to ride. Gsxr was also nicer than the fzr for the same reasons although overpriced. The old models around 89 are all 45 hp from memory. Now the rules have changed I would look into a larger bike for weight advantages in wind, although the sound if 18000 revs was very nice

Glowerss
12th December 2012, 16:15
Hahaha, You make out like I'm rich. Just hard work and determination really :P. I've narrowed my choices down to a FZR250 and a CBR250 since they look like sex on wheels for minimal price and don't seem to have many problems.

I've found one of each for $2500 with roughly the same K's and both in the same area so its down to whichever is more reliable, Although the sound of the FZR250 is sexy as hell so that gives it an edge at the moment :laugh:

Your requirements for reliability and the FZR250 are at odds with each other. You'll get the odd old IL4 that's been maintained properly, but most of them have been beaten to shit every minute of their lives in this country.

You're taking a gamble with a bike of that vintage and that type. If you must buy one, buy the CBR. They're less likely to have issues. Or stretch the budget to 3-4k and buy a Hornet.

Banditbandit
13th December 2012, 13:27
Hey guys, So as the title says whats a good first road bike?

I've found that one with wheels, a motor and workable brakes a good start ..

SMOKEU
13th December 2012, 16:28
An FZR250 is far too old for serious consideration. If you can't afford a decent bike then buy a push bike until you can afford something good, otherwise all the money you're going to spend on maintenance could be put toward buying good bike to start off with.

If you buy a 20 year old pile of shit and spend the entire value of the bike on fixing it, then you're still left with a 20 year old pile of shit that's worth fuck all. I've made that mistake far too many times before.

bosslady
13th December 2012, 18:49

lol, not at all, you're talking to a gal who grew up in sth akl. I had money for the bus and if I was lucky maybe a spring roll from the takeaways down the road :killingme

madandy
13th December 2012, 20:14
Hey guys, So as the title says whats a good first road bike? I've been looking around for my first bike but wanted some peoples opinions before i went out and spent my money.

I've owned a DT175 just to have some fun in the forest and down the beach with friends so I'm not a complete beginner but not the most experienced person.
I was looking at a few FZR250's but I've been told they have carb problems and the front forks have problems?

Any opinions and pros/cons on the FZR250 and other bikes would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

All the old 2 fiddy screamers have issues from time to time. Nothing a good service and tune up wont fix.
If ya good with ya cars the bike will be easy to work on, just be sure to have it checked out by a good bike shop first, before ya hand over ya hard earned cash.

ForcedFalcon
14th December 2012, 12:25
An FZR250 is far too old for serious consideration. If you can't afford a decent bike then buy a push bike until you can afford something good, otherwise all the money you're going to spend on maintenance could be put toward buying good bike to start off with.

If you buy a 20 year old pile of shit and spend the entire value of the bike on fixing it, then you're still left with a 20 year old pile of shit that's worth fuck all. I've made that mistake far too many times before.

Bike parts aren't that expensive are they? I'd be doing all the work myself to save money as well. Are old bikes really that bad? Because i had a 1980's corolla that never missed a beat even at 400 thousand K's lol.

Then again I've never owned a bike apart from my old 1969 DT175 and that thing was strong as hell.

unstuck
14th December 2012, 12:29
Plenty of 20yr and older bikes going strong, depends a lot on the type of clowns that have owned them in the past. My bike is 30yrs old next year, and still going strong, and I have spent fuck all on it.:2thumbsup

imdying
14th December 2012, 12:52
Bike parts aren't that expensive are they?No, they are not, and there is less off them. However, if you are used to cars, and the fact that basically every item under the engine bay is replicated cheaply by the Chinese and easy to get from BNT/Repco/etc, then you may be in for a small shock... it's not so much that they are pricey, it's just that if you're from a car world where things are extremely cheap these days, you might find it odd at first. I can do you a Corolla clutch for less than $100, you won't find that with your 250 I suspect.

ForcedFalcon
14th December 2012, 13:24
No, they are not, and there is less off them. However, if you are used to cars, and the fact that basically every item under the engine bay is replicated cheaply by the Chinese and easy to get from BNT/Repco/etc, then you may be in for a small shock... it's not so much that they are pricey, it's just that if you're from a car world where things are extremely cheap these days, you might find it odd at first. I can do you a Corolla clutch for less than $100, you won't find that with your 250 I suspect.

I was trying to make the point that my old rolla never had any problems what so ever. I've spent thousands on my turbo falcon and even more on my Skyline, Turbo cars aren't exactly cheap especially when your $2500 turbo decides to explode itself..Either way everything costs money it doesnt bother me having to maintain it. I just wanted to know if any of the bikes had serious problems that i should stay clear, of like the first of the fuel injected Nissan cars used to hand grenade them self.

Fast Eddie
14th December 2012, 13:33
An FZR250 is far too old for serious consideration.

haha what! how old is your SRAD bro.. haha, she ain't no spring chicken!

its rubbish, if you like bikes and will maintain something definitely keep the inline 4cyl screamers alive!

the new 250's are shit.. single or twin, extremely wet and limp wristed.

I'd be spending my 2,500 or less on an old 4cyl screamer and then spend the other 2,500/3k rebuilding/restoring it lol.

jeezus, keep the old bikes alive! keep the 2ts alive too, keep the classics alive. If everyone just bought new stuff cause old stuff requires a bit of maintenance then we would miss out on a lot of cool bikes from yesteryear.

THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THEY USE TO!

if your buying a bike with the main priority of ensuring it holds its resale value or some other fairy excuse then... you're doing it wrong. Back to a car for you!

if you want a fun toy.. you can't beat the old 250 4cyl screamers or the 2 strokers what a hoot they are!

imdying
14th December 2012, 13:44
I just wanted to know if any of the bikes had serious problems that i should stay clear, of like the first of the fuel injected Nissan cars used to hand grenade them self.No common problems, they are typically Japanese, look after them and they keep going. 250s are generally owned by new riders, young people without a lot of money or experience. It's quite possible you'll get one that's been 20,000km without an oil change, so as always buy on condition and ask to receipts for servicing, even if that's just oil and filters... receipts have dates, and between that and car jam you can do the math. FWIW the (non standard) crank in my RGV250 is about $3500, so if that fails I'll probably weep a little.

ForcedFalcon
14th December 2012, 15:13

its rubbish, if you like bikes and will maintain something definitely keep the inline 4cyl screamers alive!

the new 250's are shit.. single or twin, extremely wet and limp wristed.

I'd be spending my 2,500 or less on an old 4cyl screamer and then spend the other 2,500/3k rebuilding/restoring it lol.

jeezus, keep the old bikes alive! keep the 2ts alive too, keep the classics alive. If everyone just bought new stuff cause old stuff requires a bit of maintenance then we would miss out on a lot of cool bikes from yesteryear.

THEY DON'T MAKE EM LIKE THEY USE TO!

if your buying a bike with the main priority of ensuring it holds its resale value or some other fairy excuse then... you're doing it wrong. Back to a car for you!

if you want a fun toy.. you can't beat the old 250 4cyl screamers or the 2 strokers what a hoot they are!

I'm not worried about the price i can sell it for really, I just need something cheap on gas to get to work and back on but not some old shitbox that is going to bore the hell outa me.

The way i see it is if you don't treat your gear right it wont do the same for you so i always service my cars and keep them clean etc.
But as long as its going to be fun and reliable with a bit of TLC then that's exactly what I'm after.

SMOKEU
14th December 2012, 16:20

Yeah, and it's completely fucked beyond the point where it's worth fixing.

Fast Eddie
14th December 2012, 21:49
I just need something cheap on gas to get to work and back on but not some old shitbox that is going to bore the hell outa me.

well the old thump of a 250 single cyl, or even the twins.. gets mighty boring ;) and the commuter theme and style of the bikes always shows itself no matter how hard they try and make it seem like a sport bike.. these modern 250s are just city commuters (I think)

the scream of a 4cyl at 19,000rpm bring a bit of a smile as u click through the gears and tuck in behind the screen/fairings and tear through the hills..

haha! bet its not.. maybe if you have to pay a shop or someone to do it for you..

But hey if your scrapping it I'll be happy to take it off your hands..

EJK
14th December 2012, 21:53
You know, I heard busa is a pretty good learners bike. They can cruise at 100kph no problem :)

ForcedFalcon
15th December 2012, 00:02
You know, I heard busa is a pretty good learners bike. They can cruise at 100kph no problem :)

If you could find me a hayabusa for $3000 or less then i'd give it a damn good crack to ride the beast, Dont think you'd ever find one that cheap though :lol:

ducatilover
15th December 2012, 08:01
What's wrong with it and how much do you want for it :bleh: Anything can be fixed, look at how munted my ZX6 was, it's nice and straight/rideable now (and faster)

If you're good at spinning spanners, keep a 4 cyl 250 alive
The 3LN3 FZR was the best or the FZRs and they're underrated as hell and reasonably cheap
Personally it'd be a CBR250RR MC22 for me at the $3k range, you can still get everything that'll explode for bugger all (they don't make MC19 pistons anymore AFAIK and it takes a wee bit of work to get the MC22 ones in)

I'd happily own a 4cyl 250 currently, you can beat the fuck out of them and not get in trouble.

SMOKEU
15th December 2012, 08:28
What's wrong with it and how much do you want for it :bleh: Anything can be fixed, look at how munted my ZX6 was, it's nice and straight/rideable now (and faster)

Major fuel leak (got a new seal on the way), runs very rough up the point it's barely rideable, overheats severely (yes, I've replaced the coolant and radiator cap), chews through headlight bulbs at an alarming rate, battery goes flat after a few days, often doesn't want to start when hot, carby heater snapped inside carby....

I've had plenty of old cars and bikes over the years and when something fucks out I usually say "OK, if I fix this then I have a reliable vehicle". A couple of months later, something else goes wrong and I say, "I might as well fix this, because then I don't have to do it again", but then something else fucks out and the cycle continues. I'm not playing that game again as I have often spent more than the vehicle is worth on repairs and at the end of the day I'm still left with an unreliable piece of shit that owes me thousands of $ in repairs. In the 11 months I've had the bike I've only done 3,000km on it because it spends more time off the roads than in a good running order.

I've lost my trust in that bike completely and I'm not going to be a sucker and continue pouring more and more money into it as I've learned my lesson many times in the past. Know to quit while you're ahead. I want a bike to ride, not something that needs continuous repairs.

ducatilover
15th December 2012, 08:40
Major fuel leak (got a new seal on the way), runs very rough up the point it's barely rideable, overheats severely (yes, I've replaced the coolant and radiator cap), chews through headlight bulbs at an alarming rate, battery goes flat after a few days, often doesn't want to start when hot, carby heater snapped inside carby....

I've had plenty of old cars and bikes over the years and when something fucks out I usually say "OK, if I fix this then I have a reliable vehicle". A couple of months later, something else goes wrong and I say, "I might as well fix this, because then I don't have to do it again", but then something else fucks out and the cycle continues. I'm not playing that game again as I have often spent more than the vehicle is worth on repairs and at the end of the day I'm still left with an unreliable piece of shit that owes me thousands of $ in repairs. In the 11 months I've had the bike I've only done 3,000km on it because it spends more time off the roads than in a good running order.

I've lost my trust in that bike completely and I'm not going to be a sucker and continue pouring more and more money into it as I've learned my lesson many times in the past. Know to quit while you're ahead. I want a bike to ride, not something that needs continuous repairs.
If you weren't in the wrong island I'd come buy it off you

Have you checked you reg/rec? Could be overcharging, that'll fuck headlights and battery
Overheating, if it bubbles when warming up/warm with the rad cap off, you've got a dud headgasket, if it shoots jets of water out it's a cracked head or liner
If none, thermostat, water pump, rod out the rad, hardwire cooling fan
We know what the fuel leak is, it's not a hard one to fix, that gasket is the same as the TLS.
Don't need a carb heater, and how the hell did it snap?
Hard to start hot, if it's cranking over and not starting, I'd start by checking the plugs, it's probably fuck-rich.

So yeah, send it up, I'll sort 'er out :niceone:

SMOKEU
15th December 2012, 08:50
If you weren't in the wrong island I'd come buy it off you

Have you checked you reg/rec? Could be overcharging, that'll fuck headlights and battery
Overheating, if it bubbles when warming up/warm with the rad cap off, you've got a dud headgasket, if it shoots jets of water out it's a cracked head or liner
If none, thermostat, water pump, rod out the rad, hardwire cooling fan
We know what the fuel leak is, it's not a hard one to fix, that gasket is the same as the TLS.
Don't need a carb heater, and how the hell did it snap?
Hard to start hot, if it's cranking over and not starting, I'd start by checking the plugs, it's probably fuck-rich.

So yeah, send it up, I'll sort 'er out :niceone:

It's not overcharging as the battery voltage while the engine is running is well within safe limits. The hard to start when hot issue is a very well known SRAD issue, and it's not the plugs. I was having a look at the carbs and the heater on one of them is snapped right at the carby level so needs to be drilled out to remove it. The plugs actually looked quite nice when I took them out, but I cleaned them and checked the gap on them anyway.

ducatilover
15th December 2012, 13:19
It's not overcharging as the battery voltage while the engine is running is well within safe limits. The hard to start when hot issue is a very well known SRAD issue, and it's not the plugs. I was having a look at the carbs and the heater on one of them is snapped right at the carby level so needs to be drilled out to remove it. The plugs actually looked quite nice when I took them out, but I cleaned them and checked the gap on them anyway.
Mint, I'll give you $2k if you ride it to Tauranga :niceone: and a bag of weed

SMOKEU
15th December 2012, 13:57
Mint, I'll give you $2k if you ride it to Tauranga :niceone: and a bag of weed

How much buds will be in the bag? Nice skunky stuff?

ducatilover
15th December 2012, 13:59
How much buds will be in the bag? Nice skunky stuff?
I'm not sure, but I'm in Te Puke at the moment and people look like proper stoners here... so one would expect some union grade shit :laugh:

SMOKEU
15th December 2012, 14:11
I'm not sure, but I'm in Te Puke at the moment and people look like proper stoners here... so one would expect some union grade shit :laugh:

You can try it out and let me know. Better not be bushy.

ForcedFalcon
15th December 2012, 16:48
Bikes and bud? This forum just gets better and better :killingme

Fast Eddie
15th December 2012, 17:26

I've lost my trust in that bike completely and I'm not going to be a sucker

is it on trademe at $1 reserve then? I'll bid on it..

SMOKEU
15th December 2012, 18:13
is it on trademe at $1 reserve then? I'll bid on it..

I sorted the overheating out by drilling a small hole in the side fairing and putting in a switch to the fan and I put a 5A fuse in right by the battery. That fucking throttle thing is still loose (the one that I tried to fix at Ruapuna). I added a couple of washers under the screws and it's still moving around heaps. I still can't figure out why it's raping headlight bulbs either when the voltage coming out of the headlight plugs is not much above 12V. Every 2 tanks of fuel it needs a new headlight bulb, just as well I bought them in bulk.

ducatilover
16th December 2012, 12:36
I sorted the overheating out by drilling a small hole in the side fairing and putting in a switch to the fan and I put a 5A fuse in right by the battery. That fucking throttle thing is still loose (the one that I tried to fix at Ruapuna). I added a couple of washers under the screws and it's still moving around heaps. I still can't figure out why it's raping headlight bulbs either when the voltage coming out of the headlight plugs is not much above 12V. Every 2 tanks of fuel it needs a new headlight bulb, just as well I bought them in bulk.
Just a thought, it could be arching at the switch, or you're touching the glass on the bulb when you change it? They'll hot spot and burn out quick as fuck if you get human slime on them
And what voltage is it throwing out at 5,000rpm?

Third thing: get a fucking big hammer

SMOKEU
16th December 2012, 13:51
Just a thought, it could be arching at the switch, or you're touching the glass on the bulb when you change it? They'll hot spot and burn out quick as fuck if you get human slime on them
And what voltage is it throwing out at 5,000rpm?

Third thing: get a fucking big hammer

I never touch headlight bulbs with bare skin. If I do make that mistake, I clean it with a cloth that has high strength alcohol on it.

I'll have to find out the voltage some time at 5,000RPM, but I'll need to get it running first. Interestingly enough, the battery voltage is higher at idle than 5,000RPM.

imdying
16th December 2012, 14:54
Could run a meter over the lighting circuit and make sure it's not suffering a dirty connection if you like? On holiday from Friday fwiw.

Early next year I'm going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner big enough for all your carbs, so don't give up on it just yet. Park it up, get high, dont buy a 125 just save some money. Does it have a dynojet kit (or rather a worn out dynojet kit)?

Probably just needs a kiss and a cuddle... but that might be my bikes or maybe you're doing it wrong (it's not a Honda, so no tounge btw)

ducatilover
17th December 2012, 09:49
Could run a meter over the lighting circuit and make sure it's not suffering a dirty connection if you like? On holiday from Friday fwiw.

Early next year I'm going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner big enough for all your carbs, so don't give up on it just yet. Park it up, get high, dont buy a 125 just save some money. Does it have a dynojet kit (or rather a worn out dynojet kit)?

Probably just needs a kiss and a cuddle... but that might be my bikes or maybe you're doing it wrong (it's not a Honda, so no tounge btw)
Nice offer!
Do it SMOKEU, it'd be a shame to have to throw it away
I'd say the needles are worn if they're after market...or factory (seems to happen on 'em a lot, bloody 'zuki riders)

Fast Eddie
17th December 2012, 12:10

hehe, nothings changed since the ruapuna day then. Something is definitely going on bro and it will be fixable. Don't you have some "extra" wiring in there for ciggie lighter or radar or satnav or someshit? check out what thats doing to the rest of the bikes circuit.

Are they OEM headlight bulbs? maybe ur running some fake shit that can't take the heat!

over heating seems strange, if the fans normal auto on/off is working it should be able to regulate itself. I would remove the band aid and get the cooling system working again (it worked when it rolled off the factory floor, its not a complicated system)

The throttle assemble needs to be replaced or attended to by a plastic welder. The same thing happened to my aprilias throttle and clutch switch blocks actually, plastic welder to modify and get it clamping tight on the handle bar again. You could also buy skateboard sticky grip tape and wrap the handle bar with on layer then chuck the switch blocks n shit back on.. band aid tho!

Take up imdyings offer of giving it a going over with a multimeter.

I'll have to find out the voltage some time at 5,000RPM, but I'll need to get it running first. Interestingly enough, the battery voltage is higher at idle than 5,000RPM.

thats odd, should be at its peak about 5,000 and should stay steady if u rev it higher. There are gremlins in there and are no doubt doing the damage to ur headlight bulbs and maybe even the running of the bike, ignition circuit etc.

SMOKEU
17th December 2012, 15:39
hehe, nothings changed since the ruapuna day then. Something is definitely going on bro and it will be fixable. Don't you have some "extra" wiring in there for ciggie lighter or radar or satnav or someshit? check out what thats doing to the rest of the bikes circuit.

Are they OEM headlight bulbs? maybe ur running some fake shit that can't take the heat!

over heating seems strange, if the fans normal auto on/off is working it should be able to regulate itself. I would remove the band aid and get the cooling system working again (it worked when it rolled off the factory floor, its not a complicated system)

The throttle assemble needs to be replaced or attended to by a plastic welder. The same thing happened to my aprilias throttle and clutch switch blocks actually, plastic welder to modify and get it clamping tight on the handle bar again. You could also buy skateboard sticky grip tape and wrap the handle bar with on layer then chuck the switch blocks n shit back on.. band aid tho!

Take up imdyings offer of giving it a going over with a multimeter.

thats odd, should be at its peak about 5,000 and should stay steady if u rev it higher. There are gremlins in there and are no doubt doing the damage to ur headlight bulbs and maybe even the running of the bike, ignition circuit etc.

I do have extra wiring in there for the radar detector, but the electrical issues were there before I did anything to the wiring. I've used a few different types of H4 headlight bulbs, and they all seem to have a very short lifespan. I'll take it to Roger at Road and Race Motorcycles and he can have a look.