PDA

View Full Version : Advice & pointers for a new gurl

Ms Piggy
6th January 2004, 16:21
Hi There All,

I introduced myself in another forum but it's great that there is a forum for the chicky babes too. :cool:

I've only been riding for around 2 & a half weeks but I'm really hankering to go for a bit of a road trip at the start of Feb - I'm in Wellington and have a friend in Hamilton I thought riding up to see. I thought I'd take a day to get to Taupo & then a day to get to Hamilton - giving myself *lots* of time

Do you think this is unrelaistic and too ambitious? :eek5: What sort of advice or tips can you give me?

I am open to any advice & very keen to be a good & safe rider. :cool:

BlueR1
6th January 2004, 16:30
Youd do it in two days easy as, Id say if you left early youd do it in one day without any dramas, but Hamilton to Taupo is not that far at all, a couple of hours and youd be there easily. Have a good and safe trip... :rockon:

jrandom
6th January 2004, 16:41
Do you think this is unrelaistic and too ambitious? :eek5: What sort of advice or tips can you give me?

Not in the slightest. Knock yourself out (figuratively speaking, of course). Just take it easy, open road riding is a lot less stressful than commuting in traffic if you're not trying to wear an inch off your kneesliders around every corner (not likely on your bike anyway :cool: )

Taupo->Hamilton is a pretty short ride, you'll be done with that bit in a couple of hours or so.

Remember to pack some wets to put over your gear (if it's not waterproof) in case the weather turns to custard on you. Take your cellphone in case something terrible happens in the middle of nowhere and the CB Fails To Proceed. Make regular rude gestures at highway cops and may the Patron Saint of Motorcyclists watch over ye.

:Punk:

Slim
6th January 2004, 16:43
Absolutely not too ambitious. :D

Advice or tips?

Get a good map. If you haven't got a pack frame & have to carry everything on your back, only take the absolute essentials. If you need to stop, stop! Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Don't let any other road users sitting right up yer arse push you harder than you're comfortable going - pull left at the best opportunity & let them past.

Have fun. :)

Slim
6th January 2004, 16:44
And don't forget to wave at all other 2-wheeled road users. :niceone:

jrandom
6th January 2004, 16:48
If you haven't got a pack frame & have to carry everything on your back, only take the absolute essentials.

Indeed.

If you don't yet have a bungee net to strap things down to your pillion seat with, get one. $15 or so from Motomail or most bike shops. Loop the hooks around something-or-other on the rear of the bike and you can transfer the backpack off your shoulders.

Of course, a packframe is a somewhat more elegant solution. I just don't like 'em because they stop me swinging my right leg over the bike with the greatest of ease...

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 17:09
If you plan to do a bit of touring, get a tankbag (with magnetic flaps) and a tailbag. Oxford make the best of both of these. Their tailbag is big enough to carry a helmet and then some. It has built-in bungees and I can recommend it highly. Both bag types work brilliantly on 250s and larger bikes (unless you buy a sportsbike with a plastic tank or a cruiser where the handlebars come into play against a tankbag).

Watch out on the long uphill drags between Mangaweka and Waiouru -- particularly where the road closes back to one lane at the end of the passing lanes. 250s don't have spanking amounts of power and road management is important. If it's windy watch out for wind gusts across the Desert Road -- if it's bad go via Ohakune and National Park.

Long distance touring is more enjoyable if you have somebody to ride with.

Stay upright and enjoy your ride.
:niceone:

Motoracer
6th January 2004, 17:34
No one mentioned this but its one of the most important things as obvious as it may be. IS YOUR BIKE UP TO IT? Throughly check/Get it checked. Check the tires, oil, brakes, chain. Make sure that every thing is intact and not going to come loose. Once you know that the bike is ready for a big trip, THEN go out and have lots of fun! :niceone:

Firefight
6th January 2004, 17:46
Don't forget some basic tools, if your bike does not have a tool kit, make one up, you won't need much, just the few standard metric sizes, maybe a few cables ties & a bit of elcky tape., Even if you don't know that much about fixin bikes, if someone stops to help, atleast you have the gear.

Also you may care to post the date that you are heading up some KB's may care to give you some co on the way up.

firefight :sunny:

Ms Piggy
6th January 2004, 17:48
This is all good stuff for me to go on with :yes:

I'll keep you posted on how it goes if I do end up going...which I really hope to! :niceone:

SPman
6th January 2004, 18:06
How long have you been riding? If you are brand new to it all, remember that riding for any length of time takes more out of you than when you have more experience - you tend to be concentrating harder and are more tense than you may expect, so take lots of breaks and, as Slim said, just tootle along at your own comfortable pace.
Good luck.:mellow:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 18:09
No-one mentioned lube. Oft forgotten on long trips. 380kms one way Wellington to Taupo. 153kms to Hamilton from Taupo. Most bike shops reccomend lubing every 600 kms.

But most important take your sense of adventure.
"A good Traveller has no set plans or destination".
Ignore the peasants who say "I can do it in 2hours".
Travel your way at your leisure and stop for fuel regulary (yourself as well as the bike).
Pick your time of day well, riding for an hour at a stretch in touring gear is less pleasant at midday in the middle of summer than at 7-12 (assuming you take 5 hours to do the 380kms) or 3-8. Make sure you know how far you can travel on a tank of juice when loaded so you can make informed decisions about where to stop for gas.

Keep your ID in your jacket and your cash in your pants or vice versa. It sucks to get seperated from your cash out of town with no ID. When going out of town I keep a $20 (more the futher i'm going from home) in my boot in case I get mugged. (enough cash to get home if mugged, or dropped).

You probably won't need a back up plan unless you don't have one.

The only time I would say a long trip was premature would be if you
* don't have proper gear.
* don't have insurance (towing charges can be a lot inter city).
* don't have a backup plan.
* don't have a bike that will stand up to the kms.

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 18:13
How long have you been riding? If you are brand new to it all, remember that riding for any length of time takes more out of you than when you have more experience - you tend to be concentrating harder and are more tense than you may expect, so take lots of breaks and, as Slim said, just tootle along at your own comfortable pace.
Good luck.:mellow:
The Road code reccommends hourly breaks for novices or those not currently bike fit. But when i was first learning I found 45 mins about right not too short but if you still feel good you can keep going to the next town with out wearing it too thin.

Slim
6th January 2004, 18:32
The Road code reccommends hourly breaks for novices or those not currently bike fit. But when i was first learning I found 45 mins about right not too short but if you still feel good you can keep going to the next town with out wearing it too thin.
Wow. That comment just brought a rush of memories back!

I used to live out Te Atatu North, and on my trips down to Hamilton on my GB250, I used to take breaks at the BP at Pokeno and the Mobil at Huntly. That trip's "just round the corner" for me now. Strange.

Big Dog
7th January 2004, 14:03
That trip's "just round the corner" for me now. Strange.
It's amazing how much more relaxed bigger cube bikes are. You automatically assume they will be more work. Not so. And a little bike fitness never hurt neither.

Andrew
7th January 2004, 20:05
If you join the AA make sure that you upgrade it to AA plus! I had to find this out the hard way, which believe me it really sux!

MadDuck
7th January 2004, 20:15
Hi Gurl

If you wanna nice cruise with some fellow chicks..try contacting WIMA. They are a bunch of biker girls who will more than likely be able to see you on your way and ride with you too

www.wima.org.nz

and they based in Wellington :2thumbsup

Kwaka-Kid
7th January 2004, 20:16
sounds like a great plan, dunno about how much help the AA are tho, i bet the numbers of 3 odd shift working KB'ers would do a better job at being able to get to you promptly, and even better at working on the bike... but anyway, you have a CB250, is it an RS or a twin? if its the RS then your set! nothing major can go wrong, even if you know nothing just take a prod at it or a little bang with your fist and it will settle her down :) -i still have many spares for the CB250RS if ever your in need.. most of it has chain drilled holes thru it tho! :p

MadDuck
7th January 2004, 20:23
hahahaha...damn Kawa didnt you know girls can do anything. A cellphone a an innocent plead work beter than any AA membershio ;)

MadDuck
7th January 2004, 20:30
dooohhh...sorry for posting again but if ya got a Honda then consider joining the Honda Rider Rescue Club. Similar to AA but for Honda bikes. You get a flat or any trouble and they come to you and they have 0800 number.

Might be worth your while :rolleyes:

Coldkiwi
8th January 2004, 09:38
man... after an hour on the GSXR, I'm dying for a break! possibly something to do with having my seat around where my shoulders should be and the fact that I enjoy finding tight corners to get myself out of (literally!).

Best advice I'd give you celtic is to do the ride with some other experienced people as well who are willing to go at your pace. there's so much to discover about biking on the open road and its much easier and relaxing with other people to explain stuff or just be a vote of confidence on the road.

ManDownUnder
8th January 2004, 13:05
Go for it... the trip should be fine - just pack a cell phone in case you do need assistance...

oh - and if your butt starts going numb after a while... stop and go for a quick walk before it goes REALLY numb. It'll make the trip much more pleasant.

Enjoy - and welcome to the NZ roads.

MDU

Firefight
8th January 2004, 13:39
dooohhh...sorry for posting again but if ya got a Honda then consider joining the Honda Rider Rescue Club. Similar to AA but for Honda bikes. You get a flat or any trouble and they come to you and they have 0800 number.

Might be worth your while :rolleyes:

HRC also do very competitive bike insurance, and they insure non Hondas, both my R6,s were insured by their broker. :D

firefight. :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 14:05
:2thumbsup
Thanks again to you all for the handy info! I'm getting more & more excited about this trip.

Cheers Cathy

ManDownUnder
8th January 2004, 14:12
Also - if you get the chance to ride with some others - it's really really cool. Quite a buzz really.

Hard to explain till you've done it, but pair up with someone else on the road and you'll see what I mean. Don't forget to wave when you part ways too.

MDU

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 14:35
HRC also do very competitive bike insurance, and they insure non Hondas, both my R6,s were insured by their broker. :D

firefight. :2thumbsup

I got my insurance through Protecta in Auckland - they were able to give me fire, theft & 3rd party cover for $122-. I thought that was pretty good.

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 14:42
Don't forget to wave...

MDU

I need to start remembering to wave! Being a car driver it's not something I'm used to doing :o

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 14:44
Hi Gurl

If you wanna nice cruise with some fellow chicks..try contacting WIMA. They are a bunch of biker girls who will more than likely be able to see you on your way and ride with you too

www.wima.org.nz

and they based in Wellington :2thumbsup

Thanks - I've already contacted WIMA about joing up...I need all the help I can get!

LB
8th January 2004, 15:00
Hi - I saw your bike parked in the bike park in Mercer Street today and left my card on it to say "hi"......do you work close to there? (I saw it there yesterday also but didn't realise it was yours till I checked the photo in the members list last night)

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 15:29
Hi - I saw your bike parked in the bike park in Mercer Street today and left my card on it to say "hi"......do you work close to there? (I saw it there yesterday also but didn't realise it was yours till I checked the photo in the members list last night)

Ok cool. Yeah at the moment I am working in town & park there, handy but I'd prefer under cover.

Ms Piggy
8th January 2004, 15:41
sounds like a great plan, dunno about how much help the AA are tho, i bet the numbers of 3 odd shift working KB'ers would do a better job at being able to get to you promptly, and even better at working on the bike... but anyway, you have a CB250, is it an RS or a twin? if its the RS then your set! nothing major can go wrong, even if you know nothing just take a prod at it or a little bang with your fist and it will settle her down :) -i still have many spares for the CB250RS if ever your in need.. most of it has chain drilled holes thru it tho! :p

Ok much to my :o I'm not sure if it is an RS or twin and I don't even know what either of those are!

Big Dog
8th January 2004, 15:58
Ok much to my :o I'm not sure if it is an RS or twin and I don't even know what either of those are!
How many exhaust pipes do you have coming out of your engine? or even easier what does the registration say it is?

Twin refers to the number of cylinders it has.
I may be wrong but I think the Rs's are a four cylinder bike with slightly higher quality bits. fours normally have a slightly wider frame making them more suitable for open road type riding. Twins are normally narrower making them more fun for commuting and for twisty roads (twisties). Twins are normally lighter making them good beginner bikes.

SPman
8th January 2004, 18:12
How many exhaust pipes do you have coming out of your engine? or even easier what does the registration say it is?

Twin refers to the number of cylinders it has.
I may be wrong but I think the Rs's are a four cylinder bike with slightly higher quality bits. fours normally have a slightly wider frame making them more suitable for open road type riding. Twins are normally narrower making them more fun for commuting and for twisty roads (twisties). Twins are normally lighter making them good beginner bikes.
The RS is a single.
- like so

Redstar
8th January 2004, 18:22
:sunny:
If you are going to hamilton (Jewel of the Waikato) and its early Feb then why not do another 100klms and go to the Classic bike meet at Pukekohe raceway when is that? first weekend in Feb 7th-8th I guess heaps of bike and races and stalls and stuff and Beer and stuff a great day out. usually cost like $20 to get in and its worth the effort.
ill be wearing a red carnation and will go by the name of Bob. :niceone:
Did I mention the Beer?

Slingshot
9th January 2004, 08:13
OK...Here's my suggestion.

Don't stick to the learners speed limit of 70kph, if you feel comfortable do 100Kph. I believe that it's more dangerous to do 70 on the open road than it is to do 100 and my logic behind that is simple...other motorists will assume that you're doing 100 and may misjudge their movements.
Oh, and if you choose to follow this advise, get rid of the L plate. Otherwise you're advertising the fact that you're speeding.

I remember the first time I rode from Wellington to Palmerston North, I slept very well that night!!!

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 09:16
The RS is a single.
- like so
Ah so! I told you I may be wrong! :disapint: :doh:

But ah well it prompted someone to give you the right information. :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
9th January 2004, 10:00
The RS is a single.
- like so

That looks like my bike - just not such a wicked paint job :)

Ms Piggy
9th January 2004, 10:02
OK...Here's my suggestion.

Don't stick to the learners speed limit of 70kph, if you feel comfortable do 100Kph. I believe that it's more dangerous to do 70 on the open road than it is to do 100 and my logic behind that is simple...other motorists will assume that you're doing 100 and may misjudge their movements.
Oh, and if you choose to follow this advise, get rid of the L plate. Otherwise you're advertising the fact that you're speeding.

I remember the first time I rode from Wellington to Palmerston North, I slept very well that night!!!

Hmmmmm....yeah I was thinking about that. Of course I'd have to hope I don't get pulled over. :Police:

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 10:16
Hmmmmm....yeah I was thinking about that. Of course I'd have to hope I don't get pulled over. :Police:
If your going to do that snap off your L so that it's not obvious from a distance but you can feign ignorance if push came to shove " so thats what those little buggers were doing back at -put a gas stations name here- !"

Worked a treat for me. Never got pulled over for speeding but during wof&reg checks etc that worked 3 times. :msn-wink:

Ms Piggy
9th January 2004, 10:41
:sunny:
If you are going to hamilton (Jewel of the Waikato) and its early Feb then why not do another 100klms and go to the Classic bike meet at Pukekohe raceway when is that? first weekend in Feb 7th-8th I guess heaps of bike and races and stalls and stuff and Beer and stuff a great day out. usually cost like $20 to get in and its worth the effort.
ill be wearing a red carnation and will go by the name of Bob. :niceone:
Did I mention the Beer?

:beer: Sounds great! But I was thinking about travelling the following weekend b/c that is Waitangi weekend and there will be a lot more manic drivers on the roads then!

Ms Piggy
9th January 2004, 10:53
If your going to do that snap off your L so that it's not obvious from a distance but you can feign ignorance if push came to shove " so thats what those little buggers were doing back at -put a gas stations name here- !"

Worked a treat for me. Never got pulled over for speeding but during wof&reg checks etc that worked 3 times. :msn-wink:

:innocent: Oh yeah! Tee hee! Or maybe if I cry :weep: I heard that, that scares them off!

MrMelon
12th January 2004, 17:30
:innocent: Oh yeah! Tee hee! Or maybe if I cry :weep: I heard that, that scares them off!

I saw your bike today on mercer st too.. didn't realise it was yours till I got here and saw the same pic of it in your profile :P

Nice paint job - 250 million cc :D

I'm planning a ride from here to akl some time in the next month, and I've never done a really logn ride before, so I could go up with you if you wanted.

Ms Piggy
13th January 2004, 15:05
I saw your bike today on mercer st too.. didn't realise it was yours till I got here and saw the same pic of it in your profile :P

Nice paint job - 250 million cc :D

I'm planning a ride from here to akl some time in the next month, and I've never done a really logn ride before, so I could go up with you if you wanted.

Hey Mr Melon - I've pm'd you.

matthewt
15th January 2004, 09:17
If you plan to do a bit of touring, get a tankbag (with magnetic flaps) and a tailbag. Oxford make the best of both of these

Hi, If you want I have an Oxford tankbag for sale (including waterproog cover). It's in good condition and they are very durable. I'd rate it as one of the best tank backs out there.

I also have a Givi tail bag if you want (although more 2nd hand looking).

Draco
24th January 2004, 07:51
Hi Celtic,

I've done a few big trips now and they are awesome. But as everyone has said preparation makes a big difference. Your bike, your gear and you. Follow all the advice you've been given and you should have an awesome time. I like to carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket so if i bin my bike im not separated from my phone. Definately take the offer of company if you can get it, it's an entirely different experience in a group (even a group of 2). If you end up travelling on your own, make arrangements to notify (even txt msg) mates about where you are, where your headed and do a quick check in when you make that destination. If your on your own try and make your rest stops in a visible place preferably where other people are around. I hope you can do the trip and it all goes off hitch-free, and most of all HAVE AN AWESOME TIME. :wavey:

Ms Piggy
24th January 2004, 15:19
Hi Celtic,

I've done a few big trips now and they are awesome. But as everyone has said preparation makes a big difference. Your bike, your gear and you. Follow all the advice you've been given and you should have an awesome time. I like to carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket so if i bin my bike im not separated from my phone. Definately take the offer of company if you can get it, it's an entirely different experience in a group (even a group of 2). If you end up travelling on your own, make arrangements to notify (even txt msg) mates about where you are, where your headed and do a quick check in when you make that destination. If your on your own try and make your rest stops in a visible place preferably where other people are around. I hope you can do the trip and it all goes off hitch-free, and most of all HAVE AN AWESOME TIME. :wavey:

Thanks for that...I'm really hoping it will be a goer. As for my cell phone...hmmmm...well, err - I've just been on holiday in Nelson & discovered that it doesn't really like swimming in the ocean as much as I do! :o

Ms Piggy
24th January 2004, 15:20
Hi Celtic,

I like to carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket so if i bin my bike im not separated from my phone...I hope you can do the trip and it all goes off hitch-free, and most of all HAVE AN AWESOME TIME. :wavey:

Thanks for that...I'm really hoping it will be a goer. As for my cell phone...hmmmm...well, err - I've just been on holiday in Nelson & discovered that it doesn't really like swimming in the ocean as much as I do! :o

ching_ching
30th January 2004, 12:27
Greetings Celtic_Sea_Lily,

When dost thou thinkest of setting afoot on thy journey. By the will of the Gods, if I naught labour within my fields to provide for mineself by the sweat of my brow, whilst thou allow me to tarry with thee from the lands of my fathers (Turangi) to the lands to the North (at least to Taupo girl). And only if thou desire this. I, being raised here doth have familiarity of the hills and valleys of this land and will welcome such honour to accompany thee towards thine destination. Send word of thine intention by pigeon whether shouldst I prepare my steed for said journey.

Hark, I hear the roar of my palace guardian Sultan alarming its master tis time for its meal (coming kitty... tortoiseshell female 9 yrs old).

Sir "ching_ching"

franco
30th January 2004, 12:38
"Lord of the Ching Chings" :lol:

Justice
30th January 2004, 12:50
I rode from Upper Hutt to the North Shore in Auckland in a day. With only One real stop for about an hour! But lots of little stops cos of a small tank.

By the way nice CB! I'm gonna give mine a re spray - black. I think it will look ok, the frame is red.

Not one of the best bikes for a long trip but it does the job. At least its a 250 my brother just rode up to Palmerston North from Wellington on GL 145! Those Hondas will never die!

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 13:06

When dost thou thinkest of setting afoot on thy journey. By the will of the Gods, if I naught labour within my fields to provide for mineself by the sweat of my brow, whilst thou allow me to tarry with thee from the lands of my fathers (Turangi) to the lands to the North (at least to Taupo girl). And only if thou desire this. I, being raised here doth have familiarity of the hills and valleys of this land and will welcome such honour to accompany thee towards thine destination. Send word of thine intention by pigeon whether shouldst I prepare my steed for said journey.

Hark, I hear the roar of my palace guardian Sultan alarming its master tis time for its meal (coming kitty... tortoiseshell female 9 yrs old).

Sir "ching_ching"

Hey Sir Ching Ching,
Sounds good to me. My plan is to go from Wgtn to Taupo on the 12th of Feb and if I ever mange to get my cell phone up & running again I will give you my mobile number. Bought a 2nd hand one off Trade Me which NZ Couriers have managed to loose! :wacko:

:niceone: In fact anyone who might want to join the ride any part of the way would be more than welcome - Mr Melon is hoping that his bike will be fixed by then & he and I are gonna ride up together, I think he's going as far as Auckland.

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 13:14
I rode from Upper Hutt to the North Shore in Auckland in a day. With only One real stop for about an hour! But lots of little stops cos of a small tank.

By the way nice CB! I'm gonna give mine a re spray - black. I think it will look ok, the frame is red.

Not one of the best bikes for a long trip but it does the job. At least its a 250 my brother just rode up to Palmerston North from Wellington on GL 145! Those Hondas will never die!

Well my flatmate who the bike previously belonged to took it all the way up to Auckland and further North and then picked up her g/f and rode back down to Wellington with her as a pillion.

I think my butt might end up a bit sore but I wanna ride!! :rolleyes:

bondagebunny
30th January 2004, 13:42
If you plan to do a bit of touring, get a tankbag (with magnetic flaps) and a tailbag. Oxford make the best of both of these. Their tailbag is big enough to carry a helmet and then some. It has built-in bungees and I can recommend it highly. Both bag types work brilliantly on 250s and larger bikes (unless you buy a sportsbike with a plastic tank or a cruiser where the handlebars come into play against a tankbag).

Watch out on the long uphill drags between Mangaweka and Waiouru -- particularly where the road closes back to one lane at the end of the passing lanes. 250s don't have spanking amounts of power and road management is important. If it's windy watch out for wind gusts across the Desert Road -- if it's bad go via Ohakune and National Park.

Long distance touring is more enjoyable if you have somebody to ride with.

Stay upright and enjoy your ride.
:niceone:

catch out people who store their wallets in them - they have been known to wipe the info in the read strip leaving rider with non working eftpos card.
Carry your wallet and cards in your jacket or trou.

bondagebunny
30th January 2004, 13:45
provided you take your time. There was a guy on here some time ago who rode a 250 GN Suzuki on a Southern Cross Road Rally - some 6500km in 7 days.

Hitcher
30th January 2004, 13:47

Sir "ching_ching"

Keep taking the tablets mate...

ching_ching
30th January 2004, 14:03
Ohhh time for my hourly shock treatments, yahooooo. :crazy:

Ms Piggy
30th January 2004, 15:18
Ohhh time for my hourly shock treatments, yahooooo. :crazy:

:gob: :eek5: :lol:

MikeL
30th January 2004, 19:58
catch out people who store their wallets in them - they have been known to wipe the info in the read strip leaving rider with non working eftpos card.
Carry your wallet and cards in your jacket or trou.

Also I recall a mate had a problem with the electronic key for his VFR800. Put the key in the tank bag while he was having lunch and then couldn't start the bike. Anyone else heard of this happening??

Firefight
30th January 2004, 20:40
Also I recall a mate had a problem with the electronic key for his VFR800. Put the key in the tank bag while he was having lunch and then couldn't start the bike. Anyone else heard of this happening??

Yeah I think thats the same with my yam key mike, it'some sort of memory thingy in it, the dealer told me to keep it away from magnets and shit :wacko: otherwise it would deprogramme it or something, I can't recall what he said, I was like," yeah yeah just give me the dam key I'll figure it out,", all I wanted to do was get the dam thing out of the showroom, and ride it. :rolleyes:

Firefight :eek:

LB
31st January 2004, 04:17
provided you take your time. There was a guy on here some time ago who rode a 250 GN Suzuki on a Southern Cross Road Rally - some 6500km in 7 days.
the 2003 Southern Cross had a guy on an RG50 who did the whole ride, and he went from Cape Reinga to Bluff non-stop in about 36 hours - rested up on the ferry. He'd put a sign on the side of his bike "Cape Reinga to Bluff non-stop - no shit". Now THAT'S a keen motorcyclist..... And he beat some (if not all?) of the big bikes to Bluff. :crazy:

Ms Piggy
2nd February 2004, 19:42
:soon: Not that long until my planned road trip - provided my bike is fit (which it appears to be) and the weather is not too crap I'm off on the 12th of Feb as far as Taupo and then Taupo to Hamilton on the 13th and then back through from Hamilton to Murupara (have a mate there) on the 16th and then Murupara to Wgtn on the 17th.

Anyway, if any of you wish to accompany me any part of the journey just PM me...I should have a mobile by the time I leave (cheers Jim2!!) and so I could text anyone who wants to know where I am.

Hopefully Mr Melon shall join me & we'll criuse up the country at a leisurely pace adn I believe Ching Ching is hooking up with us at some pint (I still have my L plate)...of course 100kms is leisurely enough! :yes:

Anyhoo - thanks for all your advice, tips & positive feed back! :cool:

mccool
10th February 2004, 18:48
Bon voyage Ms Lily and accomplices. We will need an indepth account of every burger eaten, every speed trap evaded, every bug squashed.

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 18:58
Bon voyage Ms Lily and accomplices. We will need an indepth account of every burger eaten, every speed trap evaded, every bug squashed.

Thanks. :D

This has already been requested, so will be done. :niceone:

Unfortunately it will mostly be a solo ride, as Mr Melon is unable to make it now. So apart from riding with Ching from Turangi through to Taupo, I'll be all on my lonesome. :bye:

LB
10th February 2004, 19:48
Unfortunately it will mostly be a solo ride, as Mr Melon is unable to make it now. So apart from riding with Ching from Turangi through to Taupo, I'll be all on my lonesome. :bye:
You'll be fine CSL - just take your time, have lots of rest and drink stops (then pee stops!!). You'll have a ball!!

Ching: how about being a gentleman (which I'm sure you are anyway) and meeting CSL at the Brown Sugar Cafe in Taihape and riding with her from there to Taupo? (just a thought......they do lovely food/coffee at the BSC)

merv
10th February 2004, 21:03
Great to meet you for lunch today and have a good safe trip.

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 21:51
You'll be fine CSL - just take your time, have lots of rest and drink stops (then pee stops!!). You'll have a ball!!

Ching: how about being a gentleman (which I'm sure you are anyway) and meeting CSL at the Brown Sugar Cafe in Taihape and riding with her from there to Taupo? (just a thought......they do lovely food/coffee at the BSC)

Thanks Lynda :cool: The Brown Sugar is going to be my lunch stop - yum, yum!

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 21:53
Great to meet you for lunch today and have a good safe trip.

Thanks Merv, great to put a face to name :D

ching_ching
10th February 2004, 22:02

Gentleman? That only gets you in the shit (and methinks you assume too much) hehehe. (Sitting... contemplating... wrestling with my conscience...) Awww, OK. Geez you're a hard woman Lynda. And you guys out there. Don't give me any shit about giving in to a woman. I'll pm her and see what she says.

ching_ching (the softass... apparently)

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 22:40
Gentleman? That only gets you in the shit (and methinks you assume too much) hehehe. (Sitting... contemplating... wrestling with my conscience...) Awww, OK. Geez you're a hard woman Lynda. And you guys out there. Don't give me any shit about giving in to a woman. I'll pm her and see what she says.

:banana: Yaaaaaaaay! Gotta lova that Lynda! She always gets the boys to do wot they're told!

Cheers Ching - I'll have to shout you a latte (at least) for this! :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
10th February 2004, 22:44
Don't give him shit boys! He's only doing what he knows is the right thing to do...or it could be that he's a little scared of Lynda! :bleh:

Ooopppss I better stop there or I won't be getting accompanied anywhere!

LB
11th February 2004, 05:43
:banana: Yaaaaaaaay! Gotta lova that Lynda! She always gets the boys to do wot they're told!

And I'm so SUBTLE about how I do it!!

LB
11th February 2004, 05:47

ching_ching......you're not a softass, you're wonderful :2thumbsup . Anyone gives ching shit they'll have me to deal with (is that feet in boots I hear trembling??!!) I'll shout you a latte too, when I finally get to meet up with you! (perhaps the Taupo weekend Jim2 is organising?)

Can we have an update when you get back from Taupo to let us know how things have gone so far?

Do you think we should start a new thread titled "Celtic Sea Lily's Epic Adventure" with postings after each leg of the journey?

Ms Piggy
11th February 2004, 08:14
Can we have an update when you get back from Taupo to let us know how things have gone so far?

Do you think we should start a new thread titled "Celtic Sea Lily's Epic Adventure" with postings after each leg of the journey?

I'll do my best to get access to a PC while I'm away - if not I'll take copious notes & plenty of pics. :2thumbsup

riffer
11th February 2004, 08:47
Cathy - from one celtic to another - a blessing for your trip:

May the roads rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May your God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Ms Piggy
11th February 2004, 10:02
Cathy - from one celtic to another - a blessing for your trip:

May the roads rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May your God hold you in the palm of His hand.

:D Thanks I'll take that with me.

mccool
11th February 2004, 17:25
"May the roads rise to meet you."

As a gen-u-ine Irishman and speaker of Irish I must point out that the first line of that blessing is usually mis-translated from the Irish - Go n'eiri an mbothar leat. The verb eirigh (eiri) means both 'succeed' and 'rise' in Irish. The line really means "May you succeed on your road". Irish is tricky.

If anyone meets John (Rotten) Lydon soon please tell him this. He put this line in a song.

Ok ok, this information is not crucial to the success of Ms Lily's trip.

Ok I'm a geek.

James Deuce
11th February 2004, 21:29
"May the roads rise to meet you."

As a gen-u-ine Irishman and speaker of Irish I must point out that the first line of that blessing is usually mis-translated from the Irish - Go n'eiri an mbothar leat. The verb eirigh (eiri) means both 'succeed' and 'rise' in Irish. The line really means "May you succeed on your road". Irish is tricky.

If anyone meets John (Rotten) Lydon soon please tell him this. He put this line in a song.

Ok ok, this information is not crucial to the success of Ms Lily's trip.

Ok I'm a geek.

An Irish gentlemen from Galway with an impenetrable accent once tried to explain this to me.

All I ever understood was ..."ahahahaha, right!" at the end of every sentence.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Though a "road rising to meet" does describe the average Irishman staggering home from the local rather well.

Jim2

riffer
12th February 2004, 07:20
Hmmm. Yes, on reflection that does sound a little better....

Thanks for pointing that out. Being a scot, I'm bound to misquote the Irish from time to time. :bleh:

mccool
12th February 2004, 18:51
All Celts are brothers No6.

Jim2, yes, I have a fleeting memory of the road rising to meet me when I stacked my GS1000 in 1990.

LB
12th February 2004, 18:56
"May the roads rise to meet you....." was the verse on the order of service at the funeral for a good bike mate of mine who died of cancer coming up four years ago. It was chosen by his wife (who was not at all into bikes, disliked them really) and I thought it was a lovely gesture on her part - it was the first time I'd heard the verse before but it seemed very fitting. He would have approved.