PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a pack whilst riding

skelstar
11th August 2005, 13:21
Im a bit confused. What is the consensus regarding wearing a pack on ones back while riding a bike?

Im assuming that having sharp/hard objects in the pack during a fall is a bad idea, and maybe having something that can snag during a hi-speed slide could be a bad thing too? Im not really thinking about a large pack either, nor anything heavy in my pack.

Anyone care to comment?

TonyB
11th August 2005, 13:29
I sometimes wear a camelbak, but I do worry about it causing some bodily harm in a crash.

I can't ride with a pack on as it cuts the circulation to my arms and they end up going to sleep. I kid you not- on my first ever long trip I sat up to have a stretch on my old RZ while wearing a pack. Both of my arms fell off the bars and hung semi lifeless at my side. I could move my hands, but I couldn't lift either arm. :rofl: Could have ended in disaster, but I managed to get my right arm back up on the bars just before things started getting serious by straining like feck- it was like I had a huge weight on my arm :rofl:
Plus now that I'm older and wiser, there's no way I would wear a pack with gear in it. It could do terrible things in a crash.

Blackbird
11th August 2005, 13:44
I wore one on the Southern Cross ride covering about 800 km per day simply because I hadn't got a tank bag and my Ventura system was full. It caused all sorts of aches and pains and like Tony, I was really worried about crashing.

Would never do it again and will buy a magnetic tank bag. (Hint to my wife..... birthday coming up soon :whistle: )

TonyB
11th August 2005, 13:45
I wore one on the Southern Cross ride covering about 800 km per day simply because I hadn't got a tank bag and my Ventura system was full. It caused all sorts of aches and pains and like Tony, I was really worried about crashing.

At least your arms still worked!

skelstar
11th August 2005, 13:47
Yeah, might do the tank bag thing. They are just so damned expensive though, and its hard to find a relatively small one that doesnt cost $100+.

Lou Girardin
11th August 2005, 14:48
Yeah, might do the tank bag thing. They are just so damned expensive though, and its hard to find a relatively small one that doesnt cost $100+.

Oxford do a standard bag for $92.00 inc. or an expanding bag for $118.00 inc.

Paul in NZ
11th August 2005, 22:02

And they are an amazing bargain for the price! Bloody good shit for the $$ challenged biker

Gremlin
11th August 2005, 23:05
When going for a ride, I try to avoid carrying much at all, but when commuting, I have no choice.

Considering the backpack would weigh about 8-10 kg, its a fair bit, but having the laptop in it gives me extra incentive to behave :devil2:

Even after 30 min, my back is hurting... :no:

raster
11th August 2005, 23:14
I wear a small pack and try to have some padding inside it, blows around when empty so I have a jacket in it, probly carry something twice a week, heaviest was 4L of oil, filter and 1 rear vision mirror, not a problem although I wouldn't want to do it every day.

Fryin Finn
12th August 2005, 08:58
I use a backpack all the time. I had a high speed bin a few years - rolled over heaps with no damage to me or my back - must be testament to the size of my lunch in it. I also use a back pack to carry my video camera gear with no ill effect after a couple of spills off road. Having said that I'll probably knacker myself at the Trail Blazer this Sunday. :puke:

Krayy
12th August 2005, 12:44
One of the main issues for mine is in having a potential moving weight strapped to your back in a tight corner.

If you do insist on wearing a pack, make sure there are no heavy objects in it, and if thats unavoidable, ensure they are well wrapped and wedged right at the bottom so they can't move, and make sure the pack has an adjustable waist strap to cinch it in as tight as it will go. Chest straps too. Before mounting your bike (how rude), jump up and down a few times and twist from side to side to ensure that the pack and nothing in it will move. Then check it every stop.

sunhuntin
12th August 2005, 13:30
im still used to wearing a back pack from high school, and from courses. i push biked to and from most days unless the rain was really bucketing or i had a flat. [one thing for high school books = strong back! :yes: ]

ive only worn a pack once on the 'zuki, and that was cos the box was full and i didnt have bungy cords. i was more worried about it restricting monoeverability [SP????????] than anything. ive since bought bungy cords, so tie it to the box brackets if i have to. prefer to have my back and pillion seat clear, though the pack was nice to lean back on for a change, lol.

vifferman
12th August 2005, 13:41
(Hint to my wife..... birthday coming up soon :whistle: )
Does she frequent Kiwi Biker? If not, you'll have to find some more effective forms of hinting. Perhaps you could wait till she's near the gargre one day, and stack a whole bunch of things on the tank of the Blackybirdie, then go, "Damn! This would work a whole lot better iffen I only had a tankbag!" Or when she asks if you'd like some canoodling, you could say, "Yes, that would be very nice dear, but I'd rather have a new tankbag!" :rofl:

madboy
12th August 2005, 13:49
I bought a tank bag from TSS a year or so back for I think around $50/60?? Fits my lunch, or a change of clothes for sports. 99% of it's use is just the sammies...

skelstar
12th August 2005, 13:51
yeah, they dont really have anything at the moment. nothing under $100 anyway. can be wrong though.

AJAX
12th August 2005, 15:01
i travel to uni everday with my pack on with about 7kg in it and there is no prob with it. nothing moves at all

Aaron717
12th August 2005, 17:46
I commute on my bike so need the pack to chuck the laptop and some lunch in.. got chest and waist straps on it though so never had a problem... wouldn't like to come off with it on though boss would kick my a$$ :oi-grr:

but when i go for real rides :ride: i dont use it as it would be pretty annoying...

Az

XP@
12th August 2005, 23:12
I quite often wear a pack for commuting (targus laptop backpack). Always make sure the waist belt is done up, hopefully this will keep it close enough to my body to stop it snagging in a fall.

If it did snag in a fall then basically good bye arm... who knows. If it dosent snag then maybe the laptop & wet gear will take some of the impact. depends if the lady luck is on your side (or back).

If you are wanting to carry stuff to use for a ride then nothing beats a tank bag.

Squiggles
13th August 2005, 15:52
i commute everyday with my schoolbag on, nice nike stype with lots of padding, keeps my back from getting sore :P but i prefer using my tank bag when i can, is even better than the schoolbag

parsley
13th August 2005, 17:30
Unfortunately when I'm commuting to work it's ever so slightly too small to get my laptop in, so I use a backpack with a special "laptop slot" so it lies flat against my back. Pretty comfortable to wear and I think it would be safe in an accident because it's flat on. Might even protect me if I go somersaulting again... :spudflip:

Brett
27th August 2005, 13:12
My bro bought me a really wicked bag for my b/day, and it fits so nicely that it doesn't even feel like i am wearing it, even with a lot of weight in it. Well padded with a string back so that nothing pokes me in the back. I reckon that if I am in a crash, a bag on my back is the least of my worries! there are so many other things to whack your self on...impale yourself on!