PDA

View Full Version : K8 GSX-R 600 rear brake lines fouling my foot while cornering

tbs
14th December 2012, 09:40
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with this or whether the routing on the lines is incorrect on my bike. When I turn my heel in to stick my knee out for a corner, my heel hits the brake hose, and I can't wedge it against the bike like I want to. You can see the scuff mark in the photo.

A quick look suggests that I can change the routing by unbolting the reservoir and threading it under the other line, but the shock sits very close, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to achieve. I also wonder if there is a risk of the swing-arm hitting the line to the reservoir if it is routed underneath.

Ideas?

Deano
14th December 2012, 09:46
The line from the reservior to the cylinder looks to be impeded by the line from the cylinder to the caliper. It looks like an almost identical set up to my SV, but on mine the banjo can be pivoted downward, putting it out of the way of the other line.

If you could turn the banjo the other way so it points down a little, that might help ? But it would involve a twist in the line, unless you turn the whole line and banjos upside down?

Otherwise could you turn it in towards the swingarm a little, ensuring it doesn't rub?

If it is different to 'stock', someone with the same model might be able to advise better.

imdying
14th December 2012, 09:59
Lose the foot guard and replace the res with this:
http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SBS&Category_Code=brake-reservoir-gcraft

Either that or reroute it.

imdying
14th December 2012, 10:03
Another alternative is the rear master cylinder of a dirt bike, I think the CRF450 has one with an integral res.

Hoon
14th December 2012, 10:48
I'd just reroute and cable tie to the other hose if you're worried about it catching the rear hugger.

GSF
19th December 2012, 22:30
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone else has an issue with this or whether the routing on the lines is incorrect on my bike. When I turn my heel in to stick my knee out for a corner, my heel hits the brake hose, and I can't wedge it against the bike like I want to. You can see the scuff mark in the photo.

A quick look suggests that I can change the routing by unbolting the reservoir and threading it under the other line, but the shock sits very close, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to achieve. I also wonder if there is a risk of the swing-arm hitting the line to the reservoir if it is routed underneath.

Ideas?

The lines are definitely routed correctly. I checked on my brother's bike when I was at his place earlier, he's got a K8 Gixxer 600.
His even has a slight scuff on the rubber outer as well.

You may be able to get an aftermarket heel plate, or even make one that could extend a bit higher and stop the scuffing. Although that doesn't really solve your issue of being able to tuck your foot in closer.

tbs
20th December 2012, 16:40
The lines are definitely routed correctly. I checked on my brother's bike when I was at his place earlier, he's got a K8 Gixxer 600.
His even has a slight scuff on the rubber outer as well.

You may be able to get an aftermarket heel plate, or even make one that could extend a bit higher and stop the scuffing. Although that doesn't really solve your issue of being able to tuck your foot in closer.

Thanks.

I really noticed it at the last track day. I was able to wedge my left heel against the heel guard to give a solid platform. Not so easy with the heel guard on the right hand side, which I have also noticed is mounted higher to make room for the rear brake master cylinder.