PDA

View Full Version : Shoei Raid helmet

Beemer
11th August 2005, 17:01
I was lucky enough to pick up a Shoei Raid helmet with Shogun graphics at Wellington Motorcycles yesterday for $399. They only had two left, a small and either a medium or large, so I tried the small. My previous helmet was a Shoei RXR, size XXS so I doubted this would be a good fit but it was. They didn't have any XXS so I tried a plain helmet in XS to compare it and that was just too uncomfortably tight. I went for a ride today to try it out and I was really impressed. It's not only very comfortable, it's also extremely quiet. With earplugs in I could hardly even hear the bike going, and there was no whistling at all. On the way home I tried it without ear plugs and it was as quiet as the RXR is WITH ear plugs.

Beautiful fit, nice quick release visor and D-ring chin strap. The RXR has a seat-belt style clip that I have on the tightest setting and it is still a bit loose - but then after seven years I suppose it is getting a bit tired!

I've got a gold irridium visor on order to jazz it up a bit, but I can certainly recommend this model.

texmo
11th August 2005, 17:24
I have one too they are awesome, You should get the black visor instead if your anything like me and you helmet gets scrached as the irridium comes off and becomes see through instead off tinted

Beemer
11th August 2005, 17:47
I have one too they are awesome, You should get the black visor instead if your anything like me and you helmet gets scrached as the irridium comes off and becomes see through instead off tinted

I've got a black visor for my old helmet and never wore it once I got the irridium one. I scratched it the first week I had it, but it's been on the helmet for about five or six years now and doesn't look too bad. You just have to watch where you swing it - scratched mine locking the steering on the bike once, and on the edge of the supermarket counter at the checkout.

Hideous price though - $169! I ordered one through a friend so will hopefully get it a bit cheaper. I like the mirrored ones because you can see out but they can't see in! Plus, it matches the forks on the Goose!

I'm very impressed with it though, now I know how my husband feels about his new Arai!

Lou Girardin
12th August 2005, 09:48
They are still great helmets even though the Raid 2 is out.
We still have some various graphic styles left at AMPS for $399.00 inc.

Beemer
12th August 2005, 15:05
I tried a Raid 2 but the fit of the Raid 1 seems to be better for me. I was rapt to get a graphics one for $399, I'd always wanted one but being part Scottish and part Jewish meant I was too tight to fork out the extra few hundred! So I buy one on special then order a $170 visor for it - go figure!

vifferman
12th August 2005, 16:00
I tried a Raid 2 but the fit of the Raid 1 seems to be better for me. I was rapt to get a graphics one for $399, I'd always wanted one but being part Scottish and part Jewish meant I was too tight to fork out the extra few hundred! So I buy one on special then order a $170 visor for it - go figure!
Yeah, that was a good price all right. I bought a Raid for the vifferbabe (or did she buy it? Hard to say, what with all the nonsense of talking me into buying a new bike when I wasn't even thinking about it) anyway (sorry for the digression) hers was $399 for the plain black one, on special as part of stock clearance. She absolutely loves it, more so since I bought the iridium visor (paid a bit less than $170 for that, even though I had to order it). Comparing the Raid to my more expensive, multi-composite AGV, the quality looks much better, so I'll be holding out for a Shoei next time I fall on my head. :yes:

Beemer
12th August 2005, 16:50
I paid about $500 for my first helmet, a Shoei RXR. I thought it was great until I slipped the Raid on the other day - talk about luxury, and it's not like it's the top of the range even! I couldn't believe the price, and after taking a ride wearing it, I am totally in love with it! :love:

I've got a Nolan which I hate, and a Shoei open face rally helmet (looks dorky but very comfortable too!) and I have tried other brands on but none seem to feel as nice on as the Shoeis.

I'm hoping the visor won't be so expensive when it comes in - I ordered it through a shop where we always get a good deal so fingers crossed. I got sick of people saying "I can do you a clear visor if you want" - hello? I was standing in front of them WITH the helmet, currently fitted WITH a CLEAR visor - and no cracks or chips visible! Why, when I went in and asked "do you have any gold irridium CX1 Shoei visors?" did they think I wanted another clear one? Duh! :weird: