PDA

View Full Version : FYI - Getting blood from a stone

nomnomnom
21st December 2012, 11:33
Or should I say getting something outta ACC !

I tore my ACL Jan 2012, had surgery, still recovering, and have managed to get ACC to fund a knee brace for me :D

Just thought I'd post this up to let people know IT IS POSSIBLE!!!!

I approached my surgeon asking for a brace for when I can get back into riding, all he had to do was fill out an ACC form with his details/ sign it bla bla bla. He sent this to me, and I took it to an Orthotist (Welly area I'd HIGHLY recommend Des Nicholson at Orthopro www.orthopro.co.nz, hes all about riding too). Des then forwarded the form and application to ACC, who approved it, and Des paid a visit to me at work to try a couple of braces, and just delivered me one today WOOO EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

Carbon firbe knee brace, with amazing support. Can't wait to use it.

So if you are recovering from an injury - THERE IS HOPE!

r.2stroke
31st December 2012, 13:50
Hey Bud,
Good to hear your'e on the mend,when was ur knee Op?you say you did in Jan 2012 and still recovering.I've got a damaged Medial,and possiably ACL as well,any tips or recommendations on what you been through so far?

Grizzo
31st December 2012, 16:51
:gob:So miracles can happen!

nomnomnom
26th January 2013, 10:34
Woopsies my bad for late reply!

Op was 7th June 2012 and yup still recovering. Recovery time after op can range between 4-9months. I've had a couple of complications with my tendon which is really uncommon so that has made mine more drawn out. but it really depends on you and your muscle tone etc. Before my crash I was hitting the gym a lot so my leg muscles were kind of ok, but still took a lot to built up strenght again. The delay in getting surgery was pretty much because of how weak my leg got after not being able to walk on it and use it. If you are pretty active you might be able to walk on it way sooner and get lots of exercise so keep the muscle all good. The biggest thing I can recommend is PHYSIO! and to do everything your physio says, even if it seems stupid.

Otherwise time and patience.....

thorns
28th January 2013, 16:10
Has anyone had a shot at getting some knee braces through insurance before injury's?
Or would that really be getting blood from a stone.

nomnomnom
4th February 2013, 11:11
do you mean through like health insurance? or accident? I didnt try that as didnt have that insurance at the time, but I guess it would be along the same kinda lines as ACC right?