PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trailer MkII

mossy1200
23rd December 2012, 16:34
I couldnt help myself.

Started making another bike trailer today.

frame and swingarm started.

12 inch scooter wheels and tyres for 20 plus freight.
2 time fibre glass paniers for 100 including freight.

mossy1200
25th December 2012, 10:11
To thin and even a third main rail left it a bit risky so in the bin.
Swingarm was same tube so didnt even bother trying.

May be better to buy a MX swinger of a 125.
If anyone has a suitable swinger steel or ally let me know.

mossy1200
28th December 2012, 12:02
After failure on frame I decided to do a bit more.
I found at Supercheap a small jack plug plus bracket ,harness plug and some small reflectors which went on my gift card just like the add claims about the card being the beginning of something massive.

Plug male and female 6 pin only $2 each. Not complaining but thats got to be an imput error by the person who sets prices.

Wired up a 6 core lead. All I need is the bike and to make a trailer now.

:cool:

mossy1200
31st December 2012, 17:42
New frame design today and MX swingarm ordered. Used the other of the 2 shocks I got on trailer one and I hoping it goes through the swinger hole.

Intend on using the xz14r rear fender on the back seeing as the yoshi tail tidy is going on the bike.
Fibre paniers arrived today but didnt get a chance to collect them.
Wheel is on its way I hope
Universal joint should arrive late this week.

mossy1200
4th January 2013, 12:26
Further progress today. A bit on the luggage. Still waiting on parts. Going to machine up some teflon swinger bushes as soon as i can get my hands on a plastics shop thats open.

Bag hinges and latch not worth saving so ill have to find some that fit.:facepalm:

mossy1200
5th January 2013, 16:05
Bit of paint as the garage was like a bake oven. zx14r still not ready. Waiting on the ecu to arrive. Everything else is set though.

I think im starting to like this trailer more than the last one.

mossy1200
13th January 2013, 11:01
Swingarm and wheels arrived.

Swingarm is mint but some changes required. Suspension had been relocated to one side rather than in the middle.
Took the panniers back off and will need relocate them because the wheels I got from down south are no good and going in the bin.
The 12inch front was bent so bad the tyre wouldnt bead. looks like someone tried to remove the tyre buy smashing at the rim. im not to happy at the waste of money required to have rubbish in my skip.

BUT!!

I found a zx14r front wheel on tardme from a 2009 that looks like my lighter version on the 12/13 model (just a bit heavier) already in black so thats going to be the rear wheel. havent told the wife that $300 trailer budget killing dollars doesnt even include a tyre.:ar15:

Subframe on trailer needs cut off and remade to suit a 17inch wheel now. Swingarm angle also need changed to keep weight low down.
maybe the panniers wont be used either. Ill see what happens.

mossy1200
13th January 2013, 15:28
Progress. Bush for swinger and zx14 front wheel coming. Coupling sleeves for universal joint ready.
Ill have to start looking at the bike hitch at some point soon.

Grizzo
13th January 2013, 21:34
Nice work there Mossy!

mossy1200
13th January 2013, 21:43
Nice work there Mossy!

Few things still to work out im starting to not like the pannier boxes now.

hayd3n
13th January 2013, 22:03
ive been thinking alot about making a trailer, i had a swingarm and shock of a cbr1000, but decided it was to heavy, i now have my old cb600hornet shock and concidering using a 250 hornet rear end with a 16" front rim (when i upgrade the 16 on my hornet to a 17)

mossy1200
16th January 2013, 14:31
More progress.

mossy1200
28th May 2013, 22:28
Lots of work done ands its ready to get plate. Havent been online much as my pc fried itself. PS3 isnt the easiest to post on. Staying at friends house until house settlement. Bikes in Welly and trailer in Petone so easiest thing is wait 3 weeks for them to be in the same garage.
Trolling tardme for man cave gear is keeping me busy. Home gym, tv, sat freview receiver, stereo, workbench, chairs, and more power tools so far. Running out of storage area for everything until the move.

ducatilover
29th May 2013, 09:41
Looking forward to pics mate :2thumbsup

mossy1200
29th May 2013, 18:00
Looking forward to pics mate :2thumbsup

i have on phone but no method to load them. PS3 isnt the best for net work. Its not able get in to my emails either. Maybe i should text the photo to someone.

mossy1200
30th June 2013, 20:25
road legal. still no method to download pix yet.

Madness
30th June 2013, 20:25
road legal. still no method to download pix yet.

How's the 14?

mossy1200
30th June 2013, 21:04
How's the 14?

Good but im painting house and shifting so its been stored at work until Saturday. Only ride in last 4 weeks was collecting it and plating the trailer. Managed a wheelie while towing. Got to turn the traction control on.

mossy1200
13th July 2013, 23:58
Into new house now and have broadband conneced. Got an android as a temp option. Checked emails to see what I missed. Fork it I have 1670 new emails and he android isn't fast. I'll try the camera on it tomorrow and download some trailer shots if the camera is any good.

unstuck
14th July 2013, 09:24
:whistle::wait::wait::wait::sleep:

mossy1200
14th July 2013, 11:45
Android shots.

AllanB
14th July 2013, 11:57
Bloody tease - take some decent images!!!!

mossy1200
14th July 2013, 12:18
Bloody tease - take some decent images!!!!

Ordered a new laptop today idd say Tuesday and I'll be able to get camera shots sorted. Think android cam is about 0.2 megapix.

unstuck
14th July 2013, 12:25
Crappy pics, but still looking good chap. Well done.:niceone:

Eddieb
15th July 2013, 12:00
Not as flash a Mossy's but this was yesterday.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/McBfLqvZxB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gremlin
15th July 2013, 12:26
Looking good. Your electrics aren't working though :yes:

Looks like a little work to be done on lateral stability? Note how in one take off, the trailer tilts to one side. With a load on, it would have a greater effect.

Oh, and feed your poor dog, it's trying to eat rubber it's so hungry ;)

Eddieb
15th July 2013, 12:39
Looking good. Your electrics aren't working though :yes:

Looks like a little work to be done on lateral stability? Note how in one take off, the trailer tilts to one side. With a load on, it would have a greater effect.

Oh, and feed your poor dog, it's trying to eat rubber it's so hungry ;)

Yep, there's a little bit of slack in the hitch and flex in the spine, both of which should be easily addressed. The dog isn't mine but it's known for having a plastic and rubber fetish.

unstuck
15th July 2013, 13:15
Good stuff Eddieb.:2thumbsup

mossy1200
15th July 2013, 18:40

ht="360" src=. Nice
. Mine wobbles also. It seems worse when you wheelie. I'm going to fill the frame with resin and replace the quad drive shaft universal joint with 2 14mm bolts and a steel central link.

mossy1200
18th July 2013, 16:52
Ok laptop got here so can download photos.

:yes:

unstuck
18th July 2013, 17:14
Looking good mossy.:2thumbsup

Maha
18th July 2013, 17:15
What's it like reverse parking? :blink:

mossy1200
18th July 2013, 17:20
What's it like reverse parking? :blink:

Its longer than my last one and the zx14r has a poor turn angle so it takes a while to get it turning. Havent had it out much due to moving and poor weather.

This was the first one which was shorter and reacted quicker in reverse. But it was also unstable at 180. Im hoping the new one is better at speed. Land speed record towing is only 256kph.

hayd3n
18th July 2013, 17:21
nice I WANT ONE )

mossy1200
18th July 2013, 22:14
nice I WANT ONE )

Step one. Build or buy a swingarm. I wasted alot of time trying make a swingarm fit the frame. Easier build the frame to suit shock and arm.

ducatilover
18th July 2013, 22:59
Sooooo... does it wheelie?

Very cool Mossy

Eddieb
19th July 2013, 10:33
So a backup chain/cable is required from the trailer to the bike same as a car?

mossy1200
19th July 2013, 17:02
So a backup chain/cable is required from the trailer to the bike same as a car?

Even though mine has no hitch i have one. Law says wire on chain. Mines shark wire trace. It doesnt say how heavy the wire needs be.

blackdog
19th July 2013, 23:45
Even though mine has no hitch i have one. Law says wire on chain. Mines shark wire trace. It doesnt say how heavy the wire needs be.

Interesting call. I reckon if it was gonna break away, I'd want to leave it behind.

Eddieb
20th July 2013, 07:29
Interesting call. I reckon if it was gonna break away, I'd want to leave it behind.

Yeah its not about us though, its about other road users not being hit by an out of control trailer.

hayd3n
20th July 2013, 10:40
Step one. Build or buy a swingarm. I wasted alot of time trying make a swingarm fit the frame. Easier build the frame to suit shock and arm.

step 2 have a garage and a welder?? and tools??:lol:

mossy1200
20th July 2013, 11:37

Theres no hitch though so the chain or wire is cosmetic only.
The issue is if you have a hitch then your bike has a towbar. If your bike has a towbar then the towbar needs certified. Trailer rego warrent plate is easy. Towbar certification not so easy. My trailer bolts on and off. Takes about 5mins.
2 nuts at front on passenger peg mounts with a push pull bars that takes no up down stress and 2 hanger bars that stay on the bike have 2 bolts below the indicators.
So 4 bolts and unplug wiring jack.

Eddieb
23rd July 2013, 12:03
Here's my setup, the bar off the universal bolts into the tube under the number plate.

mossy1200
23rd July 2013, 16:20
Here's my setup, the bar off the universal bolts into the tube under the number plate.

If the tube has 2 or more bolts joining the trailer on its not classed a towbar. One bolt ot a quick release pin and the tube needs certified if your going to get it road legal. I guess the interpretation will vary also when inspected as the trailer rules were not designed for art like yours.

Eddieb
23rd July 2013, 16:36
If the tube has 2 or more bolts joining the trailer on its not classed a towbar. One bolt ot a quick release pin and the tube needs certified if your going to get it road legal. I guess the interpretation will vary also when inspected as the trailer rules were not designed for art like yours.

Ok, it has one bolt at the moment. I'm not sure if there will be enough meat for 2. I'll get my mate to check it out.

mossy1200
23rd July 2013, 17:37
Ok, it has one bolt at the moment. I'm not sure if there will be enough meat for 2. I'll get my mate to check it out.

2nd one doesn't need take any weight etc. Even a M6 will do. Its the ability to disconnect that determines if the tube is a part of the trailer or a towbar on the bike. Towbar certification is what you want to avoid.

mossy1200
10th August 2013, 13:30
Modified coupling installed and load tested ready for cold kiwi. Cant tell its there at 90kph observing the speed limits.

unstuck
10th August 2013, 15:42
Good work chap.:niceone:

buggerit
10th August 2013, 18:57
I thought drawbar certification for cars was put in the to hard basket or is it different for bikes?

mossy1200
10th August 2013, 21:00
I thought drawbar certification for cars was put in the to hard basket or is it different for bikes?

I have no towball or quick release hitch. The bar is classed part of the trailer which bolts onto the unmodified bike making it a bolt up addition.
Towbar cert would cost a fortune with engineers report and cert with load limits.

buggerit
10th August 2013, 21:19
I have no towball or quick release hitch. The bar is classed part of the trailer which bolts onto the unmodified bike making it a bolt up addition.
Towbar cert would cost a fortune with engineers report and cert with load limits.

From what I can find it reads like light vehicle and motorcycle towbars do not need certification unless used as a passenger service vehicle, the only requirement seems to be nzs 5467 which anyone could comply with,am I missing something or are there recent changes(trailer looks :2thumbsup by the way)

mossy1200
10th August 2013, 21:26
From what I can find it reads like light vehicle and motorcycle towbars do not need certification unless used as a passenger service vehicle, the only requirement seems to be nzs 5467 which anyone could comply with,am I missing something or are there recent changes(trailer looks :2thumbsup by the way)

A lot of questions about safety chains etc so was easy to go hitchless. Takes about 5mins to unbolt from bike and only going to use it for holidays etc. Also harder to steel if parked outside hotel room etc. I don't think many trailer rules were designed with motorbikes in mind.