PDA

View Full Version : Help! Clutch cable snapped on Boxing Day

CoolDude1234
26th December 2012, 09:52
Hi all,

Long time lurker here. I am doing a NZ tour from Auckland to Christchurch at the moment, but my clutch cable snapped just outside of Wellington :weep:. Does anyone know where I can go to get some emergency help? Please give me a txt on 021 192 1212 if you can help out.

I have a 2012 Hyosung 250. The cable is about 1.5 meters long.

Thanks
Ron

haydes55
26th December 2012, 10:17
Call your insurer. They can get it towed to a bike shop. Also should be under warranty so chase hyosung nz up for the cost

FJRider
26th December 2012, 10:43
I hadn't realized New Zealand ended in Christchurch ... I learn new things each day ... :yes:

Madness
26th December 2012, 10:45
I don't think you could have picked a worse day to have this problem. TSS is probably your best bet but I think there's something on in Wanganui today?

Melbar Cables in Wingate is worth a shot too but they'll be shut for the holidays.

Flip
26th December 2012, 11:36
I hope you have an AA card?

They have got me out of the crap a couple of times over the years.

slofox
26th December 2012, 11:59
Just don't use the clutch. A little difficult starting from stationary but it is possible - (speaking from bitter experience:angry:)

FJRider
26th December 2012, 13:35
Just don't use the clutch. A little difficult starting from stationary but it is possible - (speaking from bitter experience:angry:)

I rigged one up using tie-wire once .... using the outer still in place. Worked for a while too. (longer than I thought it would)

Number 8 wire works too ... and lasts longer.

CoolDude1234
26th December 2012, 14:06
thanks, got a bicycle brake line temp thing going untill the shops open :-) made it to the inter islander on time :-D

scumdog
26th December 2012, 14:11
thanks, got a bicycle brake line temp thing going untill the shops open :-) made it to the inter islander on time :-D
THAT'S the spirit, good on ya, enjoy your trip!!

The Lone Rider
26th December 2012, 21:50
Post a photo when you can, of your road side fix. I'd be interested in seeing in case I ever have to do the same.

Though frankly looking at the thickness of the clutch cable and the amount of force to pull the clutch... can't imagine many ways to repair it on the road.

FJRider
27th December 2012, 07:28
Though frankly looking at the thickness of the clutch cable and the amount of force to pull the clutch... can't imagine many ways to repair it on the road.

Side-cutting pliers and fence wire ... pull the broken inner cable out and set adjusters to minimum length.

Replace inner with the wire. Adjust outer to suit ...

Doesn't take long to do. Just doesn't look pretty.

p.dath
27th December 2012, 07:37

THAT'S the spirit, good on ya, enjoy your trip!!

+1 to that!

SMOKEU
28th December 2012, 16:47
I thought Hyosung had solved their earlier build quality issues.

FJRider
28th December 2012, 17:18
I thought Hyosung had solved their earlier build quality issues.

No ... just increased their useful life span. Now it's two weeks ...<_<

Zedder
28th December 2012, 18:28
Side-cutting pliers and fence wire ... pull the broken inner cable out and set adjusters to minimum length.

Replace inner with the wire. Adjust outer to suit ...

Doesn't take long to do. Just doesn't look pretty.

She's a hard road...Good on ya mate...