PDA

View Full Version : Honda introduces new 500cc LAMS range

Hillbilly
28th December 2012, 23:51
Honda Australia have introduced a range of three new 500cc bikes spcifically for the LAMS market. They are the naked CB-500F, Sporty CBR-500 and the Adventure CB-500X. Rather than go into details, you can check out the full range on the dedicated website:

http://honda500.com.au/

If they're introduced into NZ they're certain to be a hit. Even the humble Suziki GS-500F isn't imported, which is silly as thy're such a great bike, especially now that LAMS is here in NZ.
They'll probably be reasonably priced too, as the CB-400 Super Four was a tad expensive, even in Aussie dollars. However, the $17,495 pricetag for the 38Kw Ducati Monster 659 is plain silly! Honda here in NZ has such a dismal range available for new riders as well. Take a look at what is available from your Honda dealer in Oz if you're a new rider:

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Learner_Approved_Motorcycles

nerrrd
30th December 2012, 21:59
If they're introduced into NZ they're certain to be a hit.

Copied from the "News" section of the blue wing website:

"Revealed at the EICMA (Milan Motorcycle Show) earlier in the week, Blue Wing Honda is thrilled to announce that the new CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X will all be making their way to New Zealand from March 2013."

nerrrd
1st January 2013, 11:06
And for those interested in ABS:

"Dedicated to providing the utmost rider confidence, the CB500F and CB500X will both feature an ABS braking system."

Taken from http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/News/1164/meet-the-new-middle-class-hondas-500cc-trio

Makes me wonder if the NC700S and X will still be available (seems like a bit of an overlap).

HenryDorsetCase
1st January 2013, 12:20
they will be stupidly expensive here. All new Honda product is.

DEATH_INC.
1st January 2013, 12:32
The 500R is 192 kg !!!!! did they put lead in the tank or something????
Shame, a new middleweight sprotbike would be cool.....

James Deuce
1st January 2013, 12:50

Exactly to both those points and the X has the wrong wheels sizes. Needs Transalp wheels.

The advertising bumpf from Honda Australia were some of the least inspiring specifications I've ever seen. I'd like to know what tyres are OEM please.

gunnyrob
1st January 2013, 14:43
According to the Feb 13 Cycle world mag, pricing for the for the R&X is 6,000USD with the F going for 5,500USD. ABS will be a 500 USD option. US pricing for the NZ700X is 7,000USD which is $12,500 in NZ.

Glowerss
1st January 2013, 15:02

They made it for some new EU regulations, apparently. If you look at the new EU restrictions for learner bikes, honda tailored the bikes to fit the reqs exactly.

It really is a pity. I wouldn't mind a middleweight bike with a riding position that doesn't entail my knees being around my ears.

GrayWolf
1st January 2013, 15:13

Dont see the problem, 192kg isnt THAT heavy, its a power restricted learners style bike, to put it in perspective the old air cooled RD250 series bikes weighed in at around 150 to 165kg depending on version (the cast wheel version being heavier). Too light and it's also got a chance of being more unstable in high winds, and skittish over rough surfaces.

DEATH_INC.
1st January 2013, 16:05
Dont see the problem, 192kg isnt THAT heavy,
C'mon...a tl1000 is lighter than that. I'm not saying they should weigh 120 either, but it'd be much easier for a youngun/smaller chick etc if it didn't weigh as much as a full size bike.
And as a bonus have much more potential for the non-lams group....

bogan
1st January 2013, 16:26
Beige, not enough cylinders to be called a CBR, not enough V to be called interesting. And too much weight (unless they have quoted the dripping wet figure) to do well at what it is supposed to do.

HenryDorsetCase
1st January 2013, 16:32
They made it for some new EU regulations, apparently. If you look at the new EU restrictions for learner bikes, honda tailored the bikes to fit the reqs exactly.

It really is a pity. I wouldn't mind a middleweight bike with a riding position that doesn't entail my knees being around my ears.

Triumph Street Triple.

Marmoot
1st January 2013, 18:30

My thinking exactly when I read the specs.
And what's with the 30cc missing displacement? Oh right, CBR470 wouldn't have the same gong as a 500.

Must've been the power-to-weight ratio.
But, would've been better with less power and less weight, as asking learners to control a 2-wheeled tractor is not a very smart move.

aderino4
1st January 2013, 19:19
192KG wet weight.. It's about the same as old age 600cc bike.. albeit with less power.

Definitely not a sports bike.
160 section rear tyre.
Non adjustable front and rear (except preload) suspension

Kinda like riding on the old CBR250R (not RR) with bigger engine I suppose.

Gremlin
1st January 2013, 21:06
Triumph Street Triple.
I don't know about that... I moved Blackbird's Street Triple in November for him, the first thing that struck me was just how tiny the bike was... no way I could squeeze myself onto one.

AllanB
1st January 2013, 22:01
Doh - it is not a sport bike - it is a learner bike. Sheeezzzzzz Go to America where you can learn on a Busa ......... a good way of improving the national IQ I suspect.

Prob here (and I'll eat my hat if proven wrong) is Bluewing will load the price up.

PLUS - when did you last see a young(ish) person getting into motorcycles - they pop down a grand of their hard earned McDonalds 'trainee manager' wages on a $10k Skyline and fill it up with preloaded likeminded mates.

actungbaby
2nd January 2013, 09:10
Honda Australia have introduced a range of three new 500cc bikes spcifically for the LAMS market. They are the naked CB-500F, Sporty CBR-500 and the Adventure CB-500X. Rather than go into details, you can check out the full range on the dedicated website:

http://honda500.com.au/

If they're introduced into NZ they're certain to be a hit. Even the humble Suziki GS-500F isn't imported, which is silly as thy're such a great bike, especially now that LAMS is here in NZ.
They'll probably be reasonably priced too, as the CB-400 Super Four was a tad expensive, even in Aussie dollars. However, the $17,495 pricetag for the 38Kw Ducati Monster 659 is plain silly! Honda here in NZ has such a dismal range available for new riders as well. Take a look at what is available from your Honda dealer in Oz if you're a new rider:

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Learner_Approved_Motorcycles

I was told by local bike shop that going have race series in the uk with these bikes

I read good preivews on them there a practicle sports comuteer not a cbr 600

designed to be good on mpgs and good price range

Subike
2nd January 2013, 09:58
I wounder if their VT400cc cruser will become availabile. At the moment that market in vary much a desert, lyfin and yamaha seem to be all thats is availabile. If 750cc cruser is all we can get, and its reg is the same as a 1000+, then the obvious selection is the 1000+ for similar road costs. But as Im older, a 400cc crusier would be about the right thing for me. and honda's VT400 would suit me rather well. I have riden its bigger brother the VT750, and found it to be enjoyable for my size and age. But its full reg, may as well get a Harley....

Im talking a daily riding bike, Still enjoy my toy, the XS1100 Yammy...

AllanB
2nd January 2013, 10:11
I still wonder were the hundreds of new riders itiching to buy a LAMS 500cc new bike are in NZ............. happy to be proven wrong. Unless they are well priced and new motorcyclists are supported by the bike shops with ride days, gear discounts, education etc the 80's heydays for motorcycle sales are gone until fuel prices force car owners back to two wheels.

Glowerss
2nd January 2013, 10:35
I still wonder were the hundreds of new riders itiching to buy a LAMS 500cc new bike are in NZ............. happy to be proven wrong. Unless they are well priced and new motorcyclists are supported by the bike shops with ride days, gear discounts, education etc the 80's heydays for motorcycle sales are gone until fuel prices force car owners back to two wheels.

The ninja 300 seems to be selling quite well. And that's a $10,000 300cc LAMS bike. If the CBR is priced similarly and not 3x the US price as is usual, it could sell fairly well.

Although, I'm not sure where the extra 200CCs went. The Honda is 47 and the ninja is 40. Ninja weighs quite a lot less as well.

ducatilover
2nd January 2013, 11:49
The ninja 300 seems to be selling quite well. And that's a $10,000 300cc LAMS bike. If the CBR is priced similarly and not 3x the US price as is usual, it could sell fairly well.

Although, I'm not sure where the extra 200CCs went. The Honda is 47 and the ninja is 40. Ninja weighs quite a lot less as well.
The 300R thing is around 172kg wet according to teh gooooogles. So there's 20kg in it. The CBR500R is the same wet weight as my 20 year old 600 is :rolleyes: but with less than half the powaah

I do not like the CBR moniker being stuffed on bikes with less than 4 cylinders though

AllanB
2nd January 2013, 12:15
That's the thing - $10k will buy a 20 year old male a quick jap import car and he can carry around four of those muffin-topped, boob showing slappers that appear to be attracted to young men these days.

ducatilover
2nd January 2013, 12:33
That's the thing - $10k will buy a 20 year old male a quick jap import car and he can carry around four of those muffin-topped, boob showing slappers that appear to be attracted to young men these days.
:bleh: I'll take on any $10k car with a bike that owes me a lot less than that

James Deuce
2nd January 2013, 12:37
:bleh: I'll take on any $10k car with a bike that owes me a lot less than that
Yes but you won't have a bike boobed, peroxide blonde, muffin-topped chiquita on the bike. That seems to be more important these days.

ducatilover
2nd January 2013, 12:54
Yes but you won't have a bike boobed, peroxide blonde, muffin-topped chiquita on the bike. That seems to be more important these days.
That's okay because the kitchen is at home

James Deuce
2nd January 2013, 13:15
Fair point. May I pop around for some eggs?

ducatilover
2nd January 2013, 13:23
Fair point. May I pop around for some eggs?
She would love that

James Deuce
2nd January 2013, 14:00
I suddenly feel like I'm being set up.

HenryDorsetCase
2nd January 2013, 14:05

........boob showing? not to me they havent. :(

\m/
2nd January 2013, 14:26
PLUS - when did you last see a young(ish) person getting into motorcycles - they pop down a grand of their hard earned McDonalds 'trainee manager' wages on a $10k Skyline and fill it up with preloaded likeminded mates.
Actually there are young people getting into bikes, though we usually go for 2nd hand bikes. Either because we can't afford to buy new or to save our money for when we get our full (was a bit of both in my case).

TheTengTheory
2nd January 2013, 16:30
Its a tempting bike to get. If I wasn't going to go study soon I would consider it. Even though it may be 10grand ish, after two years, if you upgrade to a bigger non LAMS bike would the resale value be very low compared to the purchase price? I would imagine been a 1-2 year old bike with around 20k on the odo would be a decent trade in for something bigger if you went through a dealer?

This is provided you didn't drop it or crash it during your learning phase.

I only just started in november and I'm super glad I only spent a couple of grand on my hornet 250. Dropped it once in the first week and occasionally have a near oppsies when I stop on uneven terrain. However now that I've learnt the bare minimum and can somewhat handle the bike confidently. I'm considering a new bike. I would assume it would be much more reliable and require less messing around with.

ducatilover
2nd January 2013, 16:32
I would assume it would be much more reliable and require less messing around with.
You already own the most reliable small bike out there :niceone:

TheTengTheory
2nd January 2013, 16:39
You already own the most reliable small bike out there :niceone:

Once I fix this irritating idling problem I'll probably get over the lusting for a new bike. That and loctiting every dam bolt. I've had a faring side bolt, front fender bolt and the right side rear wheel tensioner bracket fall off in the last 4 weeks. :(

AllanB
2nd January 2013, 20:12
A shame that the 500's are not physically or electronically restricted - ie as LAMS they are 40 -45 hp but with a dealer only chip change or similar once you have a full they will release more power thus no need to sell and 'upgrade'.

James Deuce
2nd January 2013, 20:39
A shame that the 500's are not physically or electronically restricted - ie as LAMS they are 40 -45 hp but with a dealer only chip change or similar once you have a full they will release more power thus no need to sell and 'upgrade'.
That practice has been specifically banned in the latest EU regs and has flowed through to UK licensing practice. The second tier of UK licensing specifically bans ECU or throttle restrictions to bikes available in other power trims. Like 33hp GSXR600s for instance.

I don't think you'd find the twin cylinder 500s in these bikes would be capable of much more power so it's all a bit moot.

p.dath
3rd January 2013, 08:09
...I'd like to know what tyres are OEM please.

Not that it really matters what they specify, since there isn't much correlation between an OEM sourced version of a tyre, and the normal "retail" version. OEM versions are often "modified".

James Deuce
3rd January 2013, 08:29
Not that it really matters what they specify, since there isn't much correlation between an OEM sourced version of a tyre, and the normal "retail" version. OEM versions are often "modified".

Oh, that's right, I'm so green I don't know that.

I'd like to know what OEM tyres are specified please. If I have to change them straight off the bat, and the dealer won't pay for that, then I'm not buying one, am I? I suspect they are getting Malaysian nylon ones, given that Honda usually trumpet the brand and model of tyre in their advertising literature.

pritch
3rd January 2013, 09:59
I was told by local bike shop that going have race series in the uk with these bikes

I read good preivews on them there a practicle sports comuteer not a cbr 600

designed to be good on mpgs and good price range

IIRC the "sports" version has been chosen for the European Cup which is the feeder series for WSBK. Riders aged 14 to 19? That's the series where Simon Crafar coaches. Last year they used the KTM Duke, the year before Ninja 250s.

The new 500s are designed for the third world markets and are built in Thailand to be priced at an affordable level in Asia.

Of course the "affordable" bit will go out the window when BlueWing do their financial calculations. They will set the price at the maximum they think the local market will bear. And they will get it wrong. Again! :tugger:

ducatilover
3rd January 2013, 13:18
Oh, that's right, I'm so green I don't know that.

I'd like to know what OEM tyres are specified please. If I have to change them straight off the bat, and the dealer won't pay for that, then I'm not buying one, am I? I suspect they are getting Malaysian nylon ones, given that Honda usually trumpet the brand and model of tyre in their advertising literature.
Well I know the little Ninja 250/300R have the appalling and disgusting waste of space IRC RX01 Road Winners fitted... They're impressively poo by modern standards and I'd expect a dealer to swap 'em for a set of BT45 or Schport Demons :cool: hopefully the Honduh doesn't have them

I expect they'll be quite nice bikes though, in terms of easy to ride and smooth learner/commuter goodness

TheTengTheory
17th January 2013, 23:20
Well I know the little Ninja 250/300R have the appalling and disgusting waste of space IRC RX01 Road Winners fitted... They're impressively poo by modern standards and I'd expect a dealer to swap 'em for a set of BT45 or Schport Demons :cool: hopefully the Honduh doesn't have them

I expect they'll be quite nice bikes though, in terms of easy to ride and smooth learner/commuter goodness

The Ninja 300 I test rode a couple of months ago actually surprised me with how comfortable it was. Was a lounge seat compared to the cbr250rr my friend had.

If only they brought the cb400 over...I would probably buy one if given the option.

ducatilover
18th January 2013, 07:28
The Ninja 300 I test rode a couple of months ago actually surprised me with how comfortable it was. Was a lounge seat compared to the cbr250rr my friend had.

If only they brought the cb400 over...I would probably buy one if given the option.
The Ninja and CBR are very different bikes though, one's an overpriced silly looking commuter, the other is purely silly, light and made for fun.

I'd take your bike over any of the current offerings :niceone:

tons
3rd February 2013, 11:23
I see that Motomart in Wellington was advertising the 500's as 'coming in March' in the newspaper this weekend.

I am trying to decide between a CB500F and the new KTM Duke 390 - which do you folk think would be the best bike?

ducatilover
4th February 2013, 14:33
I see that Motomart in Wellington was advertising the 500's as 'coming in March' in the newspaper this weekend.

I am trying to decide between a CB500F and the new KTM Duke 390 - which do you folk think would be the best bike?

Ride them and see, we can't know how you'll feel about each one.

But the KTM will be best, coz it's cooler

tons
5th February 2013, 08:03
Will definitely give both bikes a ride when they're available.

But just wondered if anyone had any particular thoughts either way or what people see as the pros and cons of each:

e.g. Honda more powerful but heavier so less power to weight, Honda likely to have more sold so easier to re-sell/get parts, Honda possibly more reliable,

vs

KTM probably having better quality componentry (WP shocks, 'ByBre' (cheap Brembo) brakes, better dash etc), and having 'ice cold' coolness factor.

Keen to hear thoughts if anyone has any ...

ducatilover
5th February 2013, 08:23
The KTM will do sick wheelies, that's all you need.
Plus it's not an ugly boring turd.

Gremlin
5th February 2013, 09:52
But just wondered if anyone had any particular thoughts either way or what people see as the pros and cons of each:
If they're typical for their respective brands, it's easy.

The KTM will give you a stupid grin from one side of your head to the other but require maintenance.

The Honda will be bulletproof, reliable, but the only grin you'll get is from having cheap fun.

nerrrd
20th February 2013, 07:46
I see blue-wing now have separate product entries for the 500s on their site - still no prices when I looked.

307a
20th February 2013, 12:17
Honda Motorcycles Nz will price it out of the market as they have been for years now.

I'm guessing $15,495 to start and after they only sell maybe two units they will run them out at $12,995

I wouldn't buy a new one even at $9,000.

Eddieb
20th February 2013, 13:39
If they're typical for their respective brands, it's easy.

The KTM will give you a stupid grin from one side of your head to the other but require maintenance.

The Honda will be bulletproof, reliable, but the only grin you'll get is from having cheap fun.

What he said.

The KTM will make you grin from ear to ear and ride like a lunatic everywhere but will likely cost a bit more to run in maintenance and tyres, and it looks cool.

The Honda will probably be a lot more comfortable for longer rides but will be comparitively soulless both to look at and ride.

BMWST?
20th February 2013, 21:00
honda have lost the plot.they dont even know if they are gonna bring in the 1100

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/balou44/none ya/phot2.jpg

ducatilover
20th February 2013, 22:12
honda have lost the plot.they dont even know if they are gonna bring in the 1100

That's proper cool!

nerrrd
20th February 2013, 22:35

...and then there's these from the mothership, cruiser versions of the nc700: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/02/honda-reveals-new-affordable-ctx700-motorcycles-with-auto-transmission-abs.html

sil3nt
20th February 2013, 23:17
It is priced the same as the Ninja 300 in the UK. That should mean something around the $10,000 mark.

Glowerss
27th February 2013, 22:09
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-567256913.htm

Cyclespot has them at $10.5k. Stupid amounts of money for a beginner bike. Just as stupid as the ninja300.:brick:

ducatilover
27th February 2013, 22:35
:facepalm: "only 192kg"

How is the name of the sweet baby Jesus, can they make a small twin that heavy? My 5 million year old 600 weighs less.

nerrrd
27th February 2013, 22:36
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-567256913.htm

Cyclespot has them at $10.5k. Stupid amounts of money for a beginner bike. Just as stupid as the ninja300.:brick:

No surprises there then.

Although if the X is the same price when it gets here it might suit someone boring like me...

sil3nt
28th February 2013, 08:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVWnxQ9wClc

Doesn't look too bad. Shame about the price.

Glowerss
28th February 2013, 10:00
Doesn't look too bad. Shame about the price.

I don't mind the looks. The weight and the price are a bit shocking, however. Shit, that thing has like 40-50kg on the hornet. Man alive it's a pig.

nerrrd
1st March 2013, 06:42
Official (?) prices now on the website, bizarrely without GST:

CBR500R $9,126 ex. GST ($10494.90)
CB500F $9,561 ex. GST ($10995.15)
CB500X $9,996 ex. GST ($11495.40)

Must be charging a premium for ABS, since the F is dearer than the R.

PeloNZ
1st March 2013, 09:28
I wonder if the weight measurements are calculated differently to the older bikes? ie wet ready to drive weight, vs. dry without fork oil etc...

tons
1st March 2013, 18:36

These prices are MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE.

For example, the CB500F ABS is $5999 US, which at today's exchange rate of 0.827, means it should be $7,250.81 NZ.

So essentially $3745 overpriced.

Nice one Honda NZ!

arcane12
4th March 2013, 11:13
These prices are MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE.

For example, the CB500F ABS is $5999 US, which at today's exchange rate of 0.827, means it should be $7,250.81 NZ.

So essentially $3745 overpriced.

Nice one Honda NZ!

I agree and disagree. Overpriced, yes. However if you bought that bike, and had it shipped it would cost you more than 7250. You'd have to pay shipping costs (ok which shouldn't be much different than shipping to the States from Japan), plus GST to import it. You'd be looking at, worst case, 9500 plus ORC. (For Mordor!)

But yes, rather overpriced. That is our issue for living in a small country with a small sales base. Economic factors and all that. I wonder if it would be even cheaper sourcing straight from Japan? And unfortunately it's not your local shop that is the problem, though perhaps we need to keep complaining to them so they will complain up the chain until someone does something...

Eddieb
4th March 2013, 13:10
I don't mind the looks. The weight and the price are a bit shocking, however. Shit, that thing has like 40-50kg on the hornet. Man alive it's a pig.

I wonder if the weight measurements are calculated differently to the older bikes? ie wet ready to drive weight, vs. dry without fork oil etc...

Honda is quoting Kerb weight on the new bikes, I'm not sure what was quoted on the older ones.

The only reference I can find as to what measurement standard Honda uses for it's kerb or Curb weight on the Honda Canada site.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/cb500x#/sport/cb500x/specifications

Curb Weight 197 kg (434 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride

tons
4th March 2013, 17:11
I agree and disagree. Overpriced, yes. However if you bought that bike, and had it shipped it would cost you more than 7250. You'd have to pay shipping costs (ok which shouldn't be much different than shipping to the States from Japan), plus GST to import it. You'd be looking at, worst case, 9500 plus ORC. (For Mordor!)

But yes, rather overpriced. That is our issue for living in a small country with a small sales base. Economic factors and all that. I wonder if it would be even cheaper sourcing straight from Japan? And unfortunately it's not your local shop that is the problem, though perhaps we need to keep complaining to them so they will complain up the chain until someone does something...

For another example, taking Canada, the CB500F ABS is $6299 CAD, which at today's exchange rate of 0.846, means it should be $7,447.83 NZ.

So essentially we're $3547 overpriced.

I realise we are a smaller market, but I'm sure there is a base rate that Honda (Worldwide HQ - Japan) sells them at to different markets e.g. they sell them to every market at the same price, let's say equivalent to $4000 US, and the rest is localisation for shipping, marketing, setup etc.

But for Honda NZ to be selling them for equivalent to $9025.02 US, meaning $5000 US localisation, is just blatant profiteering.

A price around $9000 NZ would have been more reasonable, or $10000 NZ at the most, and at those rates I'm sure they would sell a lot more of them.

ducatilover
4th March 2013, 17:45
Curb Weight 197 kg (434 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride

Well that's a fairly reasonable weight then :2thumbsup

nerrrd
4th March 2013, 19:21
Compared to what's on offer from the other big brands in a bigger-than-250 LAMS bike they seem to be roughly in the same price bracket, so who can blame them?

I guess if you want a "budget" new bike in NZ you really have to look at something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-567984417.htm

nerrrd
4th April 2013, 12:47
Noticed this today on Trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=579061668

"First shipment gone & taking orders for subsequent shipments..." but at least they have a demo to try.

Maha
4th April 2013, 14:40
Noticed this today on Trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=579061668

"First shipment gone & taking orders for subsequent shipments..." but at least they have a demo to try.

$11,000 + ORC?...holy crap!

Welly-Ray
4th April 2013, 15:12
When $12k can get you a NC700S, what bother with 500cc if not for LAMS?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-574285307.htm

Glowerss
4th April 2013, 16:34
$11,000 + ORC?...holy crap!

And the first order was already sold out.

Ol P.T.Barnum was right.

If I had 11thou to dump on a bike, id spent 1000 on a shit GN250, learn to ride for 4months then dump the thing and say fuck lams and buy a properly nice bike.

$11,000+ ORC for an underpowered cheap bike is pretty insane :sleep:

nerrrd
4th April 2013, 22:53
$11,000+ ORC for an underpowered cheap bike is pretty insane :sleep:

Yeah, 35kw compared to my 37kw beast. Suckers!

Although I dread to think what some poor Japanese person paid for my bike new...and it gets half as many more torques again at much lower revs (laaaaazy).

Somebody's got to buy the new bikes or there wouldn't be any used ones, I guess.

How about a 2013 LAMS ER6 for $16k or Monster 659 for $17.5k?

Glowerss
5th April 2013, 08:45
Yeah, 35kw compared to my 37kw beast. Suckers!

Although I dread to think what some poor Japanese person paid for my bike new...and it gets half as many more torques again at much lower revs (laaaaazy).

Somebody's got to buy the new bikes or there wouldn't be any used ones, I guess.

How about a 2013 LAMS ER6 for $16k or Monster 659 for $17.5k?

Both are ridiculously overpowered as well.

The non-LAMS er6s you can pick up for $10,000 or less if you find some older models. And it wouldn't be all that cheap/easy to remove the restrictions the lams er6 either.

Suzuki is just as bad. the restricted GSX650f is between 14-16k and the normal one can be had for 9-10. 7 If you find one used.

All of the lams bikes we get are hugely overpriced for what they are, and especially compared to what the rest of the world pays.

actungbaby
8th April 2013, 10:42
When $12k can get you a NC700S, what bother with 500cc if not for LAMS?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-574285307.htm

Myabe because its a great bike

actungbaby
8th April 2013, 10:44
That's proper cool!

Isint it just mate for the honda haters what planet are you on something wrong with you cant smile after riding anybike

actungbaby
8th April 2013, 10:46

hello cbr 250 , is 7,400

actungbaby
8th April 2013, 10:51
Dont see the problem, 192kg isnt THAT heavy, its a power restricted learners style bike, to put it in perspective the old air cooled RD250 series bikes weighed in at around 150 to 165kg depending on version (the cast wheel version being heavier). Too light and it's also got a chance of being more unstable in high winds, and skittish over rough surfaces.

I understand grey wolf i looked kg weight and was like nooo as from design point view esp if you like racing bikes

but you know i guess way i think why have extra weight , u think alot thought been but or care eg cbr 900

or my mazda mx5 it shows alot love hehe

but in real world i look build quality if was chaper option i did this when broght cb 400 n thought just

Was better finished than the suzuki gs 400 of the time .

years later brought a old cruggie gs 400 and love its feel and handling and was well past use by date

Got me down to chch from palmerston north back lovley bike

for sure buddy these real world kgs i guess with fuel and oil air in the tires hehe

And the knockers it have abs too about time honda should be standred on all bikes well at least u chould option of turning it of if you so deem it for racing etc .

make it option only exp can acess

I have opion if ride the bike sir alan chathcart liked it and think ridden a few bikes hehe hasint he

simple if dont like it dont buy one but dont try put people of it before even got here stubid

I tend to agree That Hondas pricing needs be looked at for lower range of bikes to encourage new people take

Up bikes but cost fuel they still make sence of a car if you travelling as one person mostly esp

In town

Botany Honda
12th April 2013, 10:04
Nice to ride, price, well you pays yer money and takes your choice,:cool:

Reubix
14th April 2013, 11:44
IMO

The bike was ok, the brakes were the best part of the whole experience, real nice.

For the price - yeah, nah... I'll save my cash and get a Viffer :wari:

actungbaby
18th April 2013, 20:24
Well that's a fairly reasonable weight then :2thumbsup

Hi I think reality checks in order after
harping on being 12 grand when 2 grand cheaper, oh think other brands
are not apart from Kawasaki, and increased. The price on that, by way love Kawasaki, know to weight issue
most figures at be anyway. The bike mags know it ditto ps power figure
my cbx 400 was 200kg with full tank
ok it was a 4 cylinder bike.
it felt way better than cb400 n
parrell twin, centre gravity.I used go by figures in fact buy bikes without
even test rides. Fact is u can't judge
bike by spec sheet alone.

pyroguy55
21st May 2013, 18:14
I test rode the CB500F today.

Loved it.

It was comfortable and smooth... oh so smooth.

The acceleration was great especially if you have only ridden 250's. Even up in top gear at 100kph it had more than enough pull to pass cars without breaking a sweat.

The brakes worked well, the seat was comfortable and the riding position was great.

I wasn't actually expecting to like this bike but after the test ride I am very tempted because in my opinion it is a bike you could just continue to ride long after you get that full license endorsement. Now to decide if I want this or a Kawasaki EX650... decisions decisions.

Glowerss
21st May 2013, 18:18
I test rode the CB500F today.

Loved it.

It was comfortable and smooth... oh so smooth.

The acceleration was great especially if you have only ridden 250's. Even up in top gear at 100kph it had more than enough pull to pass cars without breaking a sweat.

The brakes worked well, the seat was comfortable and the riding position was great.

I wasn't actually expecting to like this bike but after the test ride I am very tempted because in my opinion it is a bike you could just continue to ride long after you get that full license endorsement. Now to decide if I want this or a Kawasaki EX650... decisions decisions.

Keep in mind it's not all EX650s that are LAMs approved, but only specially restricted ones that need to be imported. And they're quite dear (like $16,000 or something dear).

pyroguy55
21st May 2013, 18:36
Keep in mind it's not all EX650s that are LAMs approved, but only specially restricted ones that need to be imported. And they're quite dear (like $16,000 or something dear).

Yes I have kept that in mind. I have a friend who is selling one for $9k, model name reads exactly as it does on the LAMS list on the LTNZ website. its the EX650FDFW and theres no other notes or anything next to it on the LAMS list.

Erelyes
22nd May 2013, 00:39

I hate when companies advertise ex GST, when they know full well that hardly a single soul is going to buy one for business purposes. It's not a quadbike or tractor we're buying, Honda. Does this reflect their understanding of the market perhaps?
They do have incl GST prices on there now tho.

As a learner, the bike looks cool, I could maybe get over the weight if it was the same price as a Ninja 300. But this is 40kg heavier AND 1k dearer.

That said, these get ABS, and the Ninja 300's don't (even though the rest of the world get 300s with ABS).

Also, how the hell is the X a grand dearer than the R? Makes no sense to me.

Gremlin
22nd May 2013, 01:42
I suspect not all models get ABS, only the F lists it specifically.

Also, the X gets an additional 2L of fuel capacity, so there are some slightly different configurations in amongst the bikes.

nerrrd
22nd May 2013, 23:20

An impression from one of the first hands on reviews of the X:

"This new X offers another dimension again. It’s deliberately slighter bigger all round with longer forks, higher wider bars, a slightly higher seat and slightly longer wheel base, which makes it feel more like a fully grown machine."

Might explain how they justify the higher price tag; pretty sure when it was first announced it for NZ they specifically said that both the X and the F would have ABS but the R wouldn't - why they don't mention it now in the specs for the X is a mystery to me.

nerrrd
22nd June 2013, 09:30
Paul Owen ;) review of CBR500:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/8820290/Honda-CBR-500-is-cute-compact-and-cuddly

And the CB500X does have ABS:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-601389505.htm

wellyriderz
2nd July 2013, 22:47
Just bought me an F. Test rode the R but didn't really like the sportier riding position, too much weight on the wrists for me. The F was perfect. Have done a couple hundred Ks and no issues, just really smooth, stable, predictable and fun! Still has enough get up and go - haven't even revved it yet either- but can quite happily cruise round as well. It's a bit quiet though- Could definitely do with a muffler change, but not sure whether that would breach the LAMS rules.

Also the mirrors are straight off a 1982 Honda City, uuuugly! Will be going when the bank balance has recovered...

The first service at 1000K looks nasty - need to check valve clearances which involves taking the cover off the engine, which requires dismantling half the bike apparently. I should have tried to get that thrown in when I bought it!

haydes55
3rd July 2013, 12:09
The first service at 1000K looks nasty - need to check valve clearances which involves taking the cover off the engine, which requires dismantling half the bike apparently. I should have tried to get that thrown in when I bought it!

Seems early to be checking valves? I would of just taken it easy. Change oil and filter after 2 tanks of gas then Change oil and filter after 1000km. Unless it's thrashed I wouldn't bother checking valve clearances until 10,000km service.

SPman
3rd July 2013, 15:50
Quite like the look of these.....the missus is thinking of getting one for an everyday hack - at $8000 for the 500R it's cheaper than a Striple.......and with new car, new van and more solar forked out for recently........

wellyriderz
3rd July 2013, 17:47
Seems early to be checking valves? I would of just taken it easy. Change oil and filter after 2 tanks of gas then Change oil and filter after 1000km. Unless it's thrashed I wouldn't bother checking valve clearances until 10,000km service.

Owner's manual states it needs to be done to retain warranty cover- same with the CBR250 apparently. issue is that the valves bed in to the seats during this time, and if they bed in further than expected they can be too tight with the cams and stick open I guess.

Good thing is after that there's no big service due for a long long time.