PDA

View Full Version : 2013 BSA Rally

BezaNut
2nd January 2013, 12:26
The 18th New Zealand BSA Motorcycle Owners Club Rally will be held from 16 to 17 March 2013 at Pahiatua. The ‘Tararua Country Rally’ will be in the Tararua District, famous for its history, its trout fishing and its farming. Rally HQ will be Masters Hall, which was the Pahiatua Hospital.

The Rally ride will include the Manawatu Gorge, Te Apiti Windfarm, a private motorcycle museum and will meander through the backroads of the Tararua district around Pongaroa. There will also be a mini swap meet, dinner and prize giving.

Non members welcome. Information and registration form: bsamembership@xtra.co.nz

Chooky
7th January 2013, 20:14
Crikey... not a lot of Beesa owners out there...
Here's mine, but this is back in 1962... bought it brand new for 365 pounds.
6 weeks work at Westfield freezing co in the school holidays earns enough to buy a new bike.
I wonder if you could do that today....?

Mental Trousers
7th January 2013, 20:51
Mines not running. Unfortunately I can really only afford one project at a time so it may be a while before it's running again.

koba
7th January 2013, 20:52

I'll get the one in the shed going one day...

6 weeks work at Westfield freezing co in the school holidays earns enough to buy a new bike.
No, you couldn't do that today; not unless you were selling a bit of crack on the side.

koba
7th January 2013, 20:53
Mines not running. Unfortunately I can really only afford one project at a time so it may be a while before it's running again.

Cool, so is that a B33?

I'm not much of a trainspotter.

Mental Trousers
7th January 2013, 20:56
Cool, so is that a B33?

I'm not much of a trainspotter.

You sure? Yes, it's a B33.

Kickaha
7th January 2013, 21:00
Well if I could be arsed I spose I could get the A10 back up and running, think that's HD NZ champs weekend though

Voltaire
8th January 2013, 05:41
Well if I could be arsed I spose I could get the A10 back up and running, think that's HD NZ chaps weekend though

To think the BSA was a runner when you got it......

Kickaha
8th January 2013, 05:46
To think the BSA was a runner when you got it......

Like the other bike I broke someone elses previous work was the cause of the breakdown, at least BSA parts don't require you to sell your soul to the Devil to be able to afford them

koba
8th January 2013, 19:33
You sure? Yes, it's a B33.

I'm sure, I just know it's the same engine as the one in the shed.
That has a B33 engine but in an M20 style frame, this making it an M33 or or a BM33, depending on who you ask.

Shit, I am a bit of a railfan.

Banditbandit
9th January 2013, 13:22

That doesn't look that bad .. what would it take to get it running?

Banditbandit
9th January 2013, 13:27

Yeah .. six weeks work at minimum wage would give you enough money to buy a bike ($13.50 an hour x 40hours = about $400 x six weeks = $2,430 .. enough for a 250cc bike on tardme) .. as long as you has no other expenses ...

And this 250 Bandit, for instance http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-550785926.htm wil be a little quicker than a 1960s C15 ..

Mental Trousers
9th January 2013, 14:47
That doesn't look that bad .. what would it take to get it running?

It was part way through a restoration but that fell by the wayside when the restorer moved house. The engine hasn't run in at least 25 years and there's some bits missing from the drive line.

Banditbandit
10th January 2013, 08:24
So basically an engine and gearbox strip down and rebuild ..

I had a 1949 Competition Bantam with a 1963 125 engine in it (running) a 1963 C15 (running) a 1951 B33 (plunger frame - running) and a 1950 A7 (plunger frame - half built project) as well as a couple of Triumphs ...

I got sick of being a mechanic, I wanted to be a rider, so I sold my collection and went modern ...

Mental Trousers
10th January 2013, 10:24
Yeah pretty much. Although the entire thing would need a going over as the guy who was restoring it put it back together in a hurry, did things up finger tight and there are little bits and pieces that are missing. However, that was at least 10 years ago and I have no idea who the guy was.

xknuts
14th January 2013, 20:28
This thread should be moved to Meetings & events. :wings:

xknuts
21st January 2013, 21:39
This post should be in "Meeting & Events" ??? Should it not.

I was at the last BSA Nationals, will miss this one unfortunately,

BUT just scored a barnfind '69 Lightning (7000 miles Genuine) Work is underway as I type, hell yeah! :2thumbsup

When I was pulling the Lightning out from under boxes & mattresses in the (73 yr old) guys basement, his 2nd wife of 20 years came down & said that in 20 years of living with him she had never seen that bike before. LOL He had partly stripped it with good intentions, started some restoration (both Wheels with rubber & s/s spokes), brought new parts that would be required (Headers / Mufflers) THEN life got in the way!! :brick:

Engine now done, Frame finished, Nickel plating done, Chrome sorted, Now the bolt up! Yeah, I know, the hard part but I've documented & bagged everything.
Will I enjoy riding a real BSA?
Ive only ever ridden one, it vibrated soooo much I was glad to get off & give it back to its owner, LOL :scooter: