PDA

View Full Version : South Island West Coast warning (2 January)

FJRider
2nd January 2013, 16:08
Those intending to tour the south islands west coast in the near future ... be warned.

The road leading the the one lane bridge over the Wanganui river (just North of Harihari) ... has been washed out. As yet ... No detours are available. NO roads bypass this bridge. It may be a week (of good weather) before the bridge is open again.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/deluge-cuts-west-coast-internet-connection-5309385/video

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/deluge-cuts-west-coast-internet-connection-5309385

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 16:31
Again. They could put a bailey bridge across that gap.:msn-wink:

FJRider
2nd January 2013, 16:39
Again. They could put a bailey bridge across that gap.:msn-wink:

By the time they get the bridge to the site and erected ... they could fill the hole in. (If the rain stops and the river level goes down)

Probably be done by the weekend. Arthurs pass is blocked too (west of the pass)

Gremlin
2nd January 2013, 16:41
Probably be done by the weekend. Arthurs pass is blocked too (west of the pass)
combined it will definitely throw a few travellers plans up the creek...

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 16:44

Oh yes. big detours whatever way you go.:eek:

Hitcher
2nd January 2013, 16:44
At times like these it is probably a good idea to take note of the First Law of Navigating by GPS: "When you get to water, stop."

FJRider
2nd January 2013, 16:49

Most of the free camp grounds will be under water. No cell coverage south of Hokitika (or north of Wanaka) The main optic fibre line is cut too.

West coast at it's usual ...

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 17:00
Most of the free camp grounds will be under water. No cell coverage south of Hokitika (or north of Wanaka) The main optic fibre line is cut too.

West coast at it's usual ...

Sounds like I could be getting a call soon then, my brother is gonna be real busy, he repairs the phone lines for downers from whataroa to haast and I do a bit of thrust boring for him. :Punk:

FJRider
2nd January 2013, 17:05
Sounds like I could be getting a call soon then, my brother is gonna be real busy, he repairs the phone lines for downers from whataroa to haast and I do a bit of thrust boring for him. :Punk:

With what I have heard ... Makaroa is as far as you'll get going north too ...

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 17:21
Shit, another 100 year flood, but its only been 6 since the last one.:lol: Maybe I could take the dozer up from makarora, but it would be next xmas before I get to franz.:banana:

Jantar
2nd January 2013, 17:53
Shit, another 100 year flood, but its only been 6 since the last one.:lol: Maybe I could take the dozer up from makarora, but it would be next xmas before I get to franz.:banana:

Nowhere near a 100 year flood, maybe a 16 - 20 year event at this stage. However it is still building, so it is remarkable not in flood volume, but rather in flood extent.

FJRider
2nd January 2013, 18:14
Nowhere near a 100 year flood, maybe a 16 - 20 year event at this stage. However it is still building, so it is remarkable not in flood volume, but rather in flood extent.

Global warming may shorten that even more.

Flash floods are common on the west coast. Slips up in the mountains dam up the rivers ... and when the dams let go ......

On the Poerua river (just SOUTH of Harihari) upstream of the main road .. such a dam is still in place.

MD
2nd January 2013, 18:15
I don't think that missing span is the problem. Who saw the footage of the bridge on the telly tonight. The remaining bridge was swaying like a drunk on new years eve about to fall over. Gave the impression the whole thing has been undermined.

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 18:18
I don't think that missing span is the problem. Who saw the footage of the bridge on the telly tonight. The remaining bridge was swaying like a drunk on new years eve about to fall over. Gave the impression the whole thing has been undermined.

Dont watch the news as a rule, but may just have a looksie on the tv :niceone:website.

scumdog
2nd January 2013, 18:23

I thought I saw it moving...but just put it down to a 'brian-de-marge' attack...:devil2:

unstuck
2nd January 2013, 18:30
Furk, that bridge is moving alright.:eek:

Gremlin
2nd January 2013, 18:35
I have no idea... he couldn't keep the damn camera still, preferring to look at clouds... they're hardly a danger to a bridge :eek: