PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Z1000 (ZR1000B), after 5,000km

Hitcher
6th January 2013, 14:12
Time flies when one is having fun. And so it is with my recently acquired Kawasaki.

Loving it, I am. Apart from its unyielding rider seat, but Mac McDonald will be sorting that for me in the next couple of weeks.

Some people who fit Oxford heated grips aren't particularly diligent when it comes to gluing them in place. After a couple of weeks of being dragged off by Little Old Ladies in Morrie Thous, I've had mine reglued and am now basking in the enjoyment of having the throttle response directly proportional to the amount of twist applied to the righthand grip.

It's now set up for touring, with the addition of a Ventura pack rack. After Mac sorts my saddle, I'll be acquiring a rear hugger. Then I'll figure out a way of affixing my GPS. That should do the modifications for a while. Much as I would like some 'safer' exhausts, us self-employed folk are mindful of cash flow...

The new Conti Road Attack 2s have now been on for over 1,500km and I'm greatly enjoying those.

Despite its street fighter looks, the Z1000 is actually well set up for what I would describe as "real world" motorcycling.

The engine is a peach. Its mid-range is huge, pulling brilliantly from just under 2,000rpm until the Saturn V kicks in at 8,000rpm. The open road legal limit is about 4,100rpm in sixth gear. It only takes a few seconds to reach that mark from standstill, particularly so now the throttle grip does what it's told. I'm impressed with fuel economy. The last few fills have consistently averaged 18.75km per litre (that's 5.33 litres per 100km, for those so inclined).

Ergonomics are good for the taller rider, although I will get Mac to raise the seat height by about 30mm. That should also have the effect of lowering the bar height a fraction.

Something else to report on is its pillion performance. The Gold Standard Pillion(TM) reports that this is "surprisingly good" and "quite enjoyable". She was surprised about how much room she had on what looks to be a very compact bike. Satisfaction was also expressed about how "engaging" the pillion experience was with the ride itself. All of the published reviews I've tracked down on these Zs fail to mention pillionability. From a rider's perspective, a pillion does alter the performance of the rear suspension a bit but otherwise the Z still handles brilliantly. I'll get Mac McDonald to tweak the pillion seat a bit too when we're in Tauranga. He may be able to lift the Pillion Satisfaction Standard to over 8 out of 10. I'll let you know how that goes.

For those who like a bike with a bit of Hoonability, the Z shouldn't disappoint. At this point the Old Geezers Motorcycle Club advises that I shouldn't note any relevant experiences in that regard, preferring to let a rear tyre with no chicken strips speak for itself.

If you're thinking about acquiring a Z1000, you should do so. You'll love it.

Gremlin
6th January 2013, 16:43
You're supposed to include a piccy you know...

Always found them a nice looking bike, but I'm kinda spoilt by my fuel range now...

ducatilover
6th January 2013, 16:54
You clocked those miles up pretty quick, must be a hoot!

I request more pics, because, one can never have enough Z pics.

Hitcher
6th January 2013, 16:59
Piccies, as requested

scumdog
6th January 2013, 17:18
Looks like some kinda young yahoos bike:crazy:

Hitcher
6th January 2013, 17:28

It has been a while since one was a Young Yahoo. I've still got the T-shirt...

madandy
7th January 2013, 05:42
It has been a while since one was a Young Yahoo. I've still got the T-shirt...

...and no chicken strips :2thumbsup
A very moden and attractive thing to gaze upon, is your Z mr H.
In pic. 4 the rear view mirror seems to be the focus so does it offer a rear view past ones elbow? It appears so, which must be a wonderful thing!

Hitcher
7th January 2013, 16:29
In pic. 4 the rear view mirror seems to be the focus so does it offer a rear view past ones elbow? It appears so, which must be a wonderful thing!

Indeed. Mirror extenders ex-Hong Kong for $30 have transformed the vision in a rearwards direction.

98tls
7th January 2013, 16:49
Have to say its a great looking bit of kit,like the colour to never was a fan of the orange they did them in.

actungbaby
8th January 2013, 08:53
For those who like a bike with a bit of Hoonability, the Z shouldn't disappoint. At this point the Old Geezers Motorcycle Club advises that I shouldn't note any relevant experiences in that regard, preferring to let a rear tyre with no chicken strips speak for itself.

yes always read good things about the motors sounds great

The bit that got me going whooo was 18.km litre cool

Like the looks these bikes the z 750 too

sugilite
8th January 2013, 10:10
Loving it, I am. Apart from its unyielding rider seat, but Mac McDonald will be sorting that for me in the next couple of weeks.

Love your problem solving skills, how many Big Macs is it going to take?
Nice bike and write up too :2thumbsup

Hitcher
8th January 2013, 16:31
Like the looks these bikes the z 750 too

The Z800 looks like it may be an even better proposition.

MD
8th January 2013, 21:28
So that was you we passed Hitcher, between Longbush Rd and Gladstone I think, four of us on our way back from Castlepoint on Sat. 6th. We were clever enough to get up early to ride and beat the mid day heat. How far did you travel. Just a short 500km outing was it.

The Castlepoint road is in outstanding condition except for that stupid 100m dirt detour over a 2 year old wash out. Why on earth haven't they resealed it?

The white Z coming at us was an unusual sight ( I mean that in a good way), not one of those bikes you come across ever five minutes. One must stand out in a crowd.

yod
8th January 2013, 21:43

How do you find the wind/weather protection, or lack thereof, and what size is the tank?

thanking you

actungbaby
9th January 2013, 15:41
The Z800 looks like it may be an even better proposition.

Yes I seen the add in two wheels does look good

Hitcher
9th January 2013, 16:44
How do you find the wind/weather protection, or lack thereof, and what size is the tank?

thanking you

Naked bikes rock. Wind and weather protection is overrated. The tank is 18.5 litres, or 330km to fumes.

Berg
9th January 2013, 18:51

But some of us ARE young yahoos:bleh:

ducatilover
9th January 2013, 19:46
Naked bikes rock. Wind and weather protection is overrated.
No tupperware makes a bike much more enjoyable and entertaining at semi-insane speeds :yes: I prefer my one naked to when it had a dress on.

Pwalo
16th January 2013, 12:21
Very, very nice Mr H.

Can empathise about the loose grips, even a loose grip on the clutch side makes things feel really strange.

OnCam
16th January 2013, 12:49
very nice & a great read, wouldn't mind a scratch on a big naked someday

Hitcher
16th January 2013, 16:43
1,300km clocked up this last weekend. A trip to Tauranga to see Mac at McDonald Motor Trimmers. No guessing what that was for.

raziel1983
7th February 2013, 13:17
1,300km clocked up this last weekend. A trip to Tauranga to see Mac at McDonald Motor Trimmers. No guessing what that was for.

To have your motor trimmed, of course.