PDA

View Full Version : Riders' Rep feedback

Maido
7th January 2013, 19:15
Hi Team,

Just a quick word about my experience being riders rep in the weekend. Something that I do routinely at chch club meetings as I am from a different club and know alot of riders and alot of officials both of which I have good relationships with. (and still do after the weekend)

READ YOUR FUCKING RULE BOOKS AND READ THE FUCKING SUP REGS BEFORE SIGNING

I would like to think I did a pretty good job in the weekend, Every query I got I followed up on, and made a real effort to try and please everyone. but please oh please

You cannot change major things in the middle of a meeting cos you think that they aren't correct. you all signed the forms that outlined the sup regs, if something doesn't please you or you don't agree with it, sort it out prior to the weekend before signing the forms.

Don't get me wrong, There were some legit questions that need answered about passing under yellows etc but there were some questions that would be easily answered by reading hte rules and regs you sign prior to the racing.

I guess what i am trying to say is

and one last time just to be sure you get it.....

Have fun and be safe this weekend.

Kickaha
7th January 2013, 19:20
Well said, I dont think enough people are familiar with either the rule book or sup regs at these meetings

SWERVE
7th January 2013, 19:23
I think you might need to be a bit clearer as to the message you are putting across!............. or is that the largest type font that you can fit on the page;)
GOOD WORK that man.
Cant be easy especially when you are trying to race also.

yungatart
7th January 2013, 19:30
Top marks for trying to get the message across!

I totally agree with you FWIW.

jellywrestler
7th January 2013, 19:47

Have fun and be safe this weekend.
your font is bigger than some of the race numbers people turned up with Jeremy....
nuff said

Skunk
7th January 2013, 21:56
Love your work there J. Hope you're the Rep come Round 5.

quickbuck
7th January 2013, 21:57
Love your work there J. Hope you're the Rep come Round 5.

So long as he hasn't shouted his fingers off by then.....

gammaguy
8th January 2013, 02:31
your font is bigger than some of the race numbers people turned up with Jeremy....
nuff said

Isn't That why we have transponders?

Does Johnny public care much about numbers?

Drew
8th January 2013, 05:44

Does Johnny public care much about numbers?The rules are clear about numbers, I would be fucked off with myself should my points be taken away because of incorrect sized numbers.

Yes, John public do use the numbers to identify bikes on the track.

jellywrestler
8th January 2013, 05:54

I commentate and I'm pretty well the last person on the track who needs the luxury of the numbers. As each bike passes the start I'll check the number on the screen and make a mental note of the bikes image and colours and log that in my head so I don't usually need to search for numbers and I can do my job the best i can.
Johnny public wants to know whose who and PAYS for a programme ( at most meets). When I call I sometimes call a number, they want to be able to look that number up and see who it is, flip side is I often call a name, they don't know what bike so they can look up the number and get a better experience of their watching. They also might want to know whose who on their own.
This is all minor stuff the real issue is Safety. If a bike has a malfunction like an oil leak the corner marshalls need to be able to read that number clearly so they can report it to race control and if need be a Black flag be displayed to remove that bike from the circuit, before it hurts someone.
If they can't read the numbers it can take some time to work out who it is and something bad could happen in the meantime.
Plus it also adds a bit more proffesionalism to the whole game.
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, it's not rocket science really

Maido
8th January 2013, 06:03

This is pretty much the problem (not a personal attack by the way), most people "think" that transponders are all that is needed fine and good, however each competitor signed the regs so they agreed that their numbers will be that size. It has nothing to do with johnny public. The sup regs may have a clause that everyone has to wear blue eye shadow to copy Craig Sherriffs, if you signed them then best be popping over to Craigs tent to borrow his. No point asking riders rep to do something about it on the day.

sidecar bob
8th January 2013, 08:05
Once upon a time many years ago, riders rep was somewhat of an honorary position, that involved doing fuck all. Now with the majority of competitors being whinging bitches that have completely forgotten how to have fun, the riders rep seems to be a full time job.
I wonder, if in the interests of personal sanity, if the riders rep should be a non competing, experienced racer.
It must be very distracting to be trying to keep your own bike & team on top of the game, while dealing with spoilt brats that cant read.

codgyoleracer
8th January 2013, 08:11

Yes they do.

codgyoleracer
8th January 2013, 08:22
[QUOTE=Maido;1130460928]Hi Team,

Just a quick word about my experience being riders rep in the weekend. Something that I do routinely at chch club meetings as I am from a different club and know alot of riders and alot of officials both of which I have good relationships with. (and still do after the weekend)

Haha, whilst its a privlidge it can also get pretty petty at times aye J. never-the-less you are correct in most cases the answer is already written somewhere, and to be honest there are often officials at the track (believe it or not) that have a pretty good understanding of the rulebook. Did i just say that ? :-) .

Note to the other riders, - only hassle the riders rep (especially if he/she is someone that is racing 'on the day' ) - only after tracking down an official that might have an answer for you, and then only if you absolutly cant make any headway with said official.

Its interesting to note also that there is a rather limited explanation on the riders-rep duties and their protocols / powers on the day in said rulebook. Something i have talked with Billy about before.

Clivoris
8th January 2013, 08:35
I knew there was something different about Craig last weekend. I just couldn't put my finger on it.
Loving your work J.

scott411
8th January 2013, 08:44
[QUOTE=Maido;1130460928]Haha, whilst its a privlidge it can also get pretty petty at times aye J. never-the-less you are correct in most cases the answer is already written somewhere, and to be honest there are often officials at the track (believe it or not) that have a pretty good understanding of the rulebook. Did i just say that ? :-) .

Note to the other riders, - only hassle the riders rep (especially if he/she is someone that is racing 'on the day' ) - only after tracking down an official that might have an answer for you, and then only if you absolutly cant make any headway with said official.

Its interesting to note also that there is a rather limited explanation on the riders-rep duties and their protocols / powers on the day in said rulebook. Something i have talked with Billy about before.

Actually , you are ment to contact the riders rep before the official, i can not believe you still have a 'riding' riders rep tho, its pretty unfair on that rider, imo it needs to be a non riding person, perferably someone that has raced at a high level before,

budda
8th January 2013, 08:56
Once upon a time many years ago, riders rep was somewhat of an honorary position, that involved doing fuck all. Now with the majority of competitors being whinging bitches that have completely forgotten how to have fun, the riders rep seems to be a full time job.

AMEN to that

Maido
8th January 2013, 09:29
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually mind doing the job.
If anything as others have said on here and I have talked to a few officials on the day the riders rep is a representative for the riders, it really shouldn't have to be a rider. I don't have time at the moment, but after the 3 rounds in the south I will email MNZ with a proposal to change the current wording to allow a non rider as voted by the riders to do the job, or possibly have 2 riders reps in different classes so that if you are heading out for a practice etc you can go to the other riders rep.

Glen, it was stated that you see the riders rep first, It was said in the briefing that there was to be no direct contact on these matters between riders and officials. I can fully understand this, the riders rep is like a mediator and should be impartial to both sides, this means cool heads will prevail and you don't get a gang up mentality going on from both sides.
However what happens if the rep him/herself has a complaint or query, or someone wants to protest the riders rep for something they did in the race then we have a grey area.

Like any rule, it is put in place as a common sense approach, generally rules are changed once they are found to be flawed and I think I was unluckily especially the way my weekend went that I happened to be a great example of how having a rider (or at least a single rider) as the rep can backfire or become difficult.

Lets move on.

budda
8th January 2013, 10:25
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually mind doing the job.
If anything as others have said on here and I have talked to a few officials on the day the riders rep is a representative for the riders, it really shouldn't have to be a rider. I don't have time at the moment, but after the 3 rounds in the south I will email MNZ with a proposal to change the current wording to allow a non rider as voted by the riders to do the job, or possibly have 2 riders reps in different classes so that if you are heading out for a practice etc you can go to the other riders rep.

Glen, it was stated that you see the riders rep first, It was said in the briefing that there was to be no direct contact on these matters between riders and officials. I can fully understand this, the riders rep is like a mediator and should be impartial to both sides, this means cool heads will prevail and you don't get a gang up mentality going on from both sides.
However what happens if the rep him/herself has a complaint or query, or someone wants to protest the riders rep for something they did in the race then we have a grey area.

Like any rule, it is put in place as a common sense approach, generally rules are changed once they are found to be flawed and I think I was unluckily especially the way my weekend went that I happened to be a great example of how having a rider (or at least a single rider) as the rep can backfire or become difficult.

Lets move on.

There are other issues to contend with with multiple reps too, dont need to get into that here though - my understanding for the last 40 years has been that the primary functions of the rep were A/ to do exactly as Jeremy said, and B/ act as a filter for DUMBARSE questions .... most will take it a bit kinder if another Rider tells them to bugger off and grow up, rather than hear it from an Official. It is now and always HAS been, a thankless job - just seems to be getting worse as people pass the buck on knowing their shit and think life owes them a "fair" shot at Club Day glory !!!!!!!!!

Valid points raised though, these WILL be discussed ...........

codgyoleracer
8th January 2013, 10:58
[QUOTE=Maido;1

/QUOTE]

Ok, thats a change to how its often presented up here which is 'dont hassle the rep, come see us first', but i can see it from both sides for sure aye.

The impartial comment i am not so sure of though - as you are the 'riders rep" ..........

My experience is when the shit hits the fan the riders rep actually needs more than a few average skills, including depth of knowledge of processes and rules, a non-flappability under pressure skills, and as you say a balanced viewpoint for all parties (including the sport as a whole) with the ability to keep things in perspective. This can be no easy task especially when you ride a Honda , as your time is already in high demand mechanic-ing..... (Haha ;-) )

Grumph
8th January 2013, 14:40
Last time I looked there was no requirement for the riders rep to actually be a competitor at that meeting...

I well remember Dallas Rankine almost being a professional riders rep back in the day after he'd stopped competing at top level.

budda
8th January 2013, 14:43
My experience is when the shit hits the fan the riders rep actually needs more than a few average skills, including depth of knowledge of processes and rules, a non-flappability under pressure skills, and as you say a balanced viewpoint for all parties (including the sport as a whole) with the ability to keep things in perspective. ;-) )[/QUOTE]

Thats a very long way of saying " I volunteer " isn't it ?

clmintie
8th January 2013, 16:58
Speaking as a photographer, legible racing numbers are very important. Makes it very hard to deliver images to sponsors sometimes.

Kickaha
8th January 2013, 17:57
I wonder, if in the interests of personal sanity, if the riders rep should be a non competing, experienced racer.
I nominate Shaun Harris for the job then :whistle:

or possibly have 2 riders reps in different classes so that if you are heading out for a practice etc you can go to the other riders rep.
Not quite what you're proposing but Sidecars used to have a seperate one, one per class?

sidecar bob
8th January 2013, 18:37
I nominate Shaun Harris for the job then :whistle:

Na, he cant, hes racing a 675 Daytona at the nationals this season. . . . .

scott411
8th January 2013, 19:39
Not quite what you're proposing but Sidecars used to have a seperate one, one per class?

this happened at the NZ junior champs a few years ago and was a big success, made it easy for a few people rather than one person being snowed under,