PDA

View Full Version : Turning a carb szr (XT)660 into fuel injection, any advice?

hypoboang
13th January 2013, 12:23
Yay! my first post!

so I have some parts and an idea.

Im hoping to turn a szr660 99 model sports bike into fuel injection using parts from a donor xt660r (2008).

The szr shares the same engine as the teneree, mz mastif and maybe some others. it has a 5valve head and a twin carb set up.
Ive done a little research and the raptor 660 has a 2-1 manifold as they run a single carb.
Im hoping to use the raptor manifold on the old 660 carby motor and fit the airflow meter etc to it.
I would have to use the complete wiring loom,dash,ecu etc, the header pipe with its o2 sensor and modify an airbox. I would also need to fit some kind of external fuel pump.

there is a sensor that bolted to the engine but I think this was for the speedo. because of this I guess I would have to run a seperate speedo off the front rim (std on the szr). I would also run a seperate rev counter as the xt660r doesnt have a tacho.

Ive googled about doing this conversion but cant find any info out there.
other things I would do is fit a power pipe as the szr is an ugly heavy thing...

why do it? well my original szr dash is damaged and theyre hard to find. If I did this conversion I wouldnt have carb tuning hassles and would have the digi dash from the xtr. Another advantage would be easier to source parts as Im not sure what electrics the szr have - its made by belgarda italy and is based around a tzr250 sports (marzochi rear, paoli USD forks,brembo brakes etc). Also these xt660 carb engines are getting hard to find with low k's yet the italian fuel injected xt660 engines come up time to time at the damaged auctions, so I could find one easily in the future.
(if admin needs to move this to the fueling section please do so, if ive put it in the wrong section, cheers)http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk233/dakomoto/sizzler660/IMG_2760_zpsd89ca53e.jpg

FJRider
13th January 2013, 14:18
What fuel management system does the injected 660's use .. ???

ducatilover
14th January 2013, 22:11
I would say it'll be a lot of trouble, but go for it

You'll find the XT runs a crank angle sensor unit, you'll need some way of setting that up, a MAF sensor of some sort, O2, TPS and possibly ambient temp, but not likely.

What I would do, is sort out a crank angle sensor, get a throttle body and MAF, then run a microsquirt ECU in it

A cooler, cheaper and easier route would be to get a TM38 or 40 flatslide and an aftermarket dash (KOSO or something), because going to the trouble of setting it up on injection instead of a carb and dash swap, is really a false economy

hypoboang
15th January 2013, 00:14
yeah i think a few days ago i was going through a manic stage and maybe having illusions of granduer! I still think its possible, but easier to do the complete swap with a xt660r engine. Ive been offered one thats written off for 2500 (but still completely ridable). It's even got a hot pair of pipes..I would make about $1000 selling the excess parts off and could use the xtr engine and do a complete swap. loom/ecu/engine... I could still keep the original carbed donk and slowly do it up and stroke it. I could always swap loom and engine back at a later stage.

I think this would be a top bike with the xt660r engine & the upswept twin pipes.

or maybe a triunph 675 engine... i wounder if that would fit.....

wheres my meds...

hypoboang
15th January 2013, 00:23
sorry - forgot to reply to the first question. I cant remember what ecu it runs but I think its italian. moto ma... something... i'll check it out soon as I get the 660r down from off the wall....

actually heres a pic of when I still had some duc parts and the old 660r engine still in the frame. another manic idea!
I never could get the forks not to hit the tank so abandoned it. The parts were only just sat on there.
ducati monster tank, sub frame, seat, rear fender, akra pipe and duc bars. Kawasaki zx636 forks & wheels, was going to use a vtr1000 rear caliper,and it had the xt660 donk and frame.http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk233/dakomoto/project%20xt660/2012-04-07131555.jpg

Kickaha
15th January 2013, 05:42
You can get a complete injection kit here http://www.ecotrons.com/400cc_to_800cc_Engine_EFI_kit.html