PDA

View Full Version : new here

magg
12th August 2005, 15:52
hey to all!

im new frm dunnas, and just about to do restricted on my bike.
has any1 done it recently in dunedin? what is it like? do they give u any tricky stuff to do?

help pls ;>

Artifice
12th August 2005, 16:17
hi
yes they ask you to perform all sorts of basic stuff, like turn your head to inspect all sideroads. do a u turn without putting your feet down. go through roundabouts. ah yeah and have a warrant rego and "L" plate...and the big toughy for a lot is... obeyeing the road rules.

magg
12th August 2005, 16:30
im really nervous bout it. and have been tryin to get as much info as i can b4 i go and sit the practical ridin test. my bike is off road till summer (need sum repairs) so i got 150cc from my mate to do it. ...

campbellluke
12th August 2005, 17:22
I sat it in Dunedin last year. It was pretty easy.

I just reminded myself not to run red or yellow lights that day. Which I didn't, and I was fine. No marks off.

I think if you get 4 mistakes they will fail you. But if you don't lose them and keep head-checks and looking in your mirrors. It's an easy pass.

ktee
12th August 2005, 18:20
I've been told by the officer that they only have to test your general riding ability and some places make you ride around a circuit.
In my experience the chap asked for a u-turn in a really narrow street facing uphill and then again downhill. It was raining, and I dropped the bike. (My hubby tried the u-turn on his bike later and had to put one foot down too). I asked the inspector what else he had to test me on and this was his reply.....

"I only have to test your general riding skills, but I like to throw something in like that coz it tells me alot about a rider"

Advice I got later said I got a raw deal so I guess it depends on where you go and who you see as to what they ask you to do.

Good luck and relax. I'm going to try again in a fortnight.

scumdog
13th August 2005, 00:09
So long ago I can't remember! Sorry.

magg
15th August 2005, 11:10
I've been told by the officer that they only have to test your general riding ability and some places make you ride around a circuit.
In my experience the chap asked for a u-turn in a really narrow street facing uphill and then again downhill. It was raining, and I dropped the bike. (My hubby tried the u-turn on his bike later and had to put one foot down too). I asked the inspector what else he had to test me on and this was his reply.....

Hi!

Well im booked for this friday, and the more i hear bout it the worse i feel. But i shouldnt be stressin out, i dnt even care if i fail (touch wood) at first, i just wanna go and do it.! Cos ive waited for so long! And it all depends on a guy that will examin u anyway. Hope hes gonna be cool with me.... Soooo nervous, damn! ;>

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 11:16
Welcome to KB magg =)

magg
15th August 2005, 11:16
I sat it in Dunedin last year. It was pretty easy.

I just reminded myself not to run red or yellow lights that day. Which I didn't, and I was fine. No marks off.

Hey!

Well, good for you man. Ive just booked it today, havin the test on fri morning!!!! Thats gonna be a long week for me. Anyway, i do need to calm myself down b4 i go there. The only thing im worried about (i think) is not to stall the bike, cos i tend to do it when im really nervous. Plus im using my mates bike, so it even worse. Need to have a few rides on it just to get used to that bike. Cross ur fingers for me.
Anyway, r u goin to kaka point rally?

placidfemme
15th August 2005, 11:30
hey to all!

has any1 done it recently in dunedin? what is it like? do they give u any tricky stuff to do?

help pls ;>

Hey welcome to KB :)

Good luck with your restricted :)

campbellluke
15th August 2005, 19:41
Hey!

Well, good for you man. Ive just booked it today, havin the test on fri morning!!!! Thats gonna be a long week for me. Anyway, i do need to calm myself down b4 i go there. The only thing im worried about (i think) is not to stall the bike, cos i tend to do it when im really nervous. Plus im using my mates bike, so it even worse. Need to have a few rides on it just to get used to that bike. Cross ur fingers for me.
Anyway, r u goin to kaka point rally?

Keep calm! It really is nothing. Shake the instructers hand before you begin and you should pass.

Kaka point rally? Is that next month? I will check up on the date. I don't know, I guess I might go.

gamgee
15th August 2005, 20:53
i'd be keen if it's late september, could be good if there's a group of us kiwibiker 250's there i'd hate to go on my own as i wouldn't know anyone and being on a 250 might get laughed at :violin:

campbellluke
15th August 2005, 23:43
i'd be keen if it's late september, could be good if there's a group of us kiwibiker 250's there i'd hate to go on my own as i wouldn't know anyone and being on a 250 might get laughed at :violin:

Been to a few rallys. Even with one of the smaller bikers there you don't get laughed at. Coming to and from the brass monkey I am constantly overtaking people with larger bikes anyway. Some born-again bikers are pretty slow, so they won't get cocky and sledge your bikes.

I think this rally might be in 2 weeks time. Which in that case I will go. Brother visiting from Wellington, maybe he will be keen to take his Honda there. Dunno.

gamgee
16th August 2005, 09:13
damn i'm busy for the next 4 weekends so that rules me out

magg
16th August 2005, 10:17
Keep calm! It really is nothing. Shake the instructers hand before you begin and you should pass.

Kaka point rally? Is that next month? I will check up on the date. I don't know, I guess I might go.

Yea, it is the first weekend in sept. Have been organizin ppl to go there with, as i dont have my own bike now - which is a pain! And no matter wot u ride, noone will laugh at u.,.

crashe
16th August 2005, 15:25
hey to all!

help pls ;>

Well I dont know the roads that they will take you around down there but....

Make sure the bike is rego'd and WOF and also up to date.
They check that out and look over the bike.
They give you time to put all your bike gear on.
Also make sure that you are there at least 5 to 10 minutes ahead of the appointment.
Make sure that you have your license on you as they check that out as well.
If you are meeting the person in a shopping centre car park, with other cars around...indicate even when trying to get out of the carpark.

They will either tell you that they will follow you in a car and indicate ahead of time or as some have used headfones.

If they indicate, keep an eye on your mirrors. Ther do give a reasonable amount of warning.

When you come to a stop sign STOP and place both feet on the ground and check left right and left again. Dont let the bike move at all.

Take off when its safe to do so. If you get throu and the guy/gal doesnt then pull over and wait for him/her and then indicate to pull off and then proceed.

Make sure that you also stay in the middle of your lane.. dont get too close to the white line.

Remember the NEW indicating laws at a roundabout.

If you come up to a orange light STOP safely and wait til it goes green.

If by any chance you miss him/her indicating and you have lost him/her.
Turn around and go back to where you last saw him/her. Apologise.

Stick to 49km so that in case your bike is not quite right in the speedo.

But most important RELAX and it will all be over in 20 minutes.
Good luck.

magg
16th August 2005, 16:29
Thanx a lot for that crashe ;> That is awesome, helped me realize few things.

campbellluke
16th August 2005, 20:27
Yea, it is the first weekend in sept. Have been organizin ppl to go there with, as i dont have my own bike now - which is a pain! And no matter wot u ride, noone will laugh at u.,.

Do they tent? Like the brass monkey? Don't have a tent, but then again.. I didn't go to sleep at the brass monkey. Sounds like fun. 1st weekend,, im there I guess. $25 at the gates I have been told. Would be cool if a gang of 250cc's could race to the site. But oh well.

GN1NiteStnd
24th August 2005, 09:27
Welcome to KB! :ride: