PDA

View Full Version : Skating rinks to offer helmets

GSW
14th January 2013, 14:09
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8175818/Ice-skating-injury-leads-to-death

What do reckon, HiZis will be required soon as well?

But not a good thing to happen to anyone.... accidents do happen though...

sil3nt
14th January 2013, 14:22
Don't see the problem. Ice isn't soft and helmets are hardly inconvenient when ice skating. Although when was the last time anyone actually listened to a coroners suggestions?

tigertim20
14th January 2013, 14:39
I dont see a problem with them being offered to patrons, but I dont see a need for them to be mandatory either - which be the next suggestion.
Yes, very sad to hear of one's passing, but how many thousands of ice skaters have gone ice skating, and fallen, and there been no problem? I havent heard of any before now.

Trouble is, the bureaucrats demand that any time anything bad happens, it MUST have been avoidable, and there MUST be somewhere to lay the blame - ignoring that if 1 in 1 million people die doing something, its just a 'shit happens' scenario, not an excuse to go wild with ridiculous suggestions around how to police the activity in question

Milts
14th January 2013, 15:09
I was surprised the coroner's suggestion was as mild as "should be made freely available". Usually you would indeed expect them to yell "compulsory! compulsory!".

I think the findings were entirely appropriate. It would maintain the entire 'personal choice' aspect while minimizing the risk, because if helmets are freely available then they are more likely to be used. Good call IMO.

Zedder
14th January 2013, 15:15
I was surprised the coroner's suggestion was as mild as "should be made freely available". Usually you would indeed expect them to yell "compulsory! compulsory!".

I think the findings were entirely appropriate. It would maintain the entire 'personal choice' aspect while minimizing the risk, because if helmets are freely available then they are more likely to be used. Good call IMO.

Well said.

FJRider
14th January 2013, 15:21
I dont see a problem with them being offered to patrons, but I dont see a need for them to be mandatory either - which be the next suggestion.

You and the others are totally missing the point.

The skating rinks are a business. They (as a business) pay ACC premiums which are based on ACC claims made that occurred AT the rink. ANY ACC payout to a rink client ... directly affect the rinks premiums.

"Offered to patrons" is the first step. THE RINK may make it mandatory later ... no doubt depending a lot on (positive) patron feedback.

Zedder
14th January 2013, 15:43

The skating rinks are a business. They (as a business) pay ACC premiums which are based on ACC claims made that occurred AT the rink. ANY ACC payout to a rink client ... directly affect the rinks premiums.

"Offered to patrons" is the first step. THE RINK may make it mandatory later ... no doubt depending a lot on (positive) patron feedback.

No company panders to workers/patrons when it comes to making the workplace etc safe so you're barking up the wrong tree there.

mashman
14th January 2013, 16:33
I don't think human beings should be allowed to leave their houses without wearing a helmet. Perfect for when falling down drunk, being hit by cars, falling off bicycles, falling on the ice, slipping in dog poo and many many more. You're all just so fuckin stupid... which, ironically, kinda negates the need for a helmet.

The Lone Rider
14th January 2013, 17:18
Wore them when I played hockey.

And other pads.

Worst team sport injuries I've had were on skates, much to the hardness of if you fall.

Swoop
14th January 2013, 19:42
What do reckon, HiZis will be required soon as well?

I would like to know what exactly "HiZis" is.

It sounds quite painful.

bosslady
14th January 2013, 20:57
No company panders to workers/patrons when it comes to making the workplace etc safe so you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Care to explain? I don't believe that's true.

Zedder
14th January 2013, 21:05
Care to explain? I don't believe that's true.

Companies don't ask workers or patrons if it's ok by them or an inconvenience to them if things were made safer. They just do it, it's the law.

bosslady
14th January 2013, 21:17
Companies don't ask workers or patrons if it's ok by them or an inconvenience to them if things were made safer. They just do it, it's the law.

oh I see, thought you meant the opposite

tigertim20
14th January 2013, 21:17

I haven't missed 'the point' at all - I was talking about such things being forcibly regulated by govt, be it at a local or national level. The rink in question MAY decide to institute such a policy in order to be seen to be doing anything they can to prevent further incidents - But I don't think THAT particular rink instigating such a policy is likely to cause a flow on effect of all other rinks automatically adopting a policy of forced helmet use of their own volition.

Zedder
14th January 2013, 21:22
oh I see, thought you meant the opposite

Why, you got a problem with panders? They're so cute and furry...

Zedder
14th January 2013, 21:38
Panders, barking up the wrong tree, pandas get it? Sorry.

bosslady
15th January 2013, 08:54
Panders, barking up the wrong tree, pandas get it? Sorry.

I get it ;)

Grizzo
16th January 2013, 05:55
I don't think human beings should be allowed to leave their houses without wearing a helmet. Perfect for when falling down drunk, being hit by cars, falling off bicycles, falling on the ice, slipping in dog poo and many many more. You're all just so fuckin stupid... which, ironically, kinda negates the need for a helmet.

Amen to that.
Put us in bubble wrap and keep preening the paranoia so that anything with any kind of mild associated risk is deemed dangerous.
Fuck me, I can kind of understand it in countries that when this type of thing happens they can sue the shit out of you, but c'mon, in NZ?
Their turning us into a bunch of blimpy, helpless, whiny, blame someone else babies.:weird:

scumdog
16th January 2013, 06:04
Their turning us into a bunch of blimpy, helpless, whiny, blame someone else babies.:weird:

Actually they HAVE turned us into the above...:(

Grizzo
16th January 2013, 06:44
Actually they HAVE turned us into the above...:(

Yep, may as well just roll over silently and get dry boned in the arse.