PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Battlax S20R review - 5,000km

onearmedbandit
16th January 2013, 17:08
Five effing fantastic thouasnd kilometres to be honest. How much do I like these tyres? Maybe the picture below will demonstrate it better than I could describe.

They have served me well, in all conditions (wet and dry) and at all speeds. I've enjoyed them so much and found the sweet spot at 36 front and 38 rear, that they have been the only tyres I've checked the pressures on every time before a ride. Not because they perform poorly at other pressures, but because they perform so well at those levels.

Under hard braking and acceleration they are stable and secure, giving plenty of feedback. Something I was missing from my last set of tyres. The same can be said for their cornering ability, very stable feeling giving precise feedback, but responsive to change of lines as well.

The rear has had some abuse now and is starting to move a bit exiting corners with some serious throttle application, but nothing unnerving or cause for concern, it's just more feedback. The front is in a class of its own I feel, providing so much feedback and allowing you to take the piss throwing the bike around. It doesn't care whether your harsh with the steering inputs or smooth as Lorenzo (yeah ok I wish) it does as required with no fuss. Over potholes, ruts, etc cranked over you'll get the expected kick from the bar(s) but no silliness afterwards. Like I've said, confidence inspiring.

I've recommended these tyres to all, and a number of people have since fitted them to their bikes. All with the same results as me. Hand on heart when it comes time for me to be replacing them I will be going back to them again, or whatever Bridgestone bring out as their successor. Considering how they are looking after 5000km, I might even try the next step up the rung.

Lets see if they make it to a 7500km review.

george formby
16th January 2013, 20:53
T'is a funny thing. Bridgestones are often rated 2nd best but the best riders I know use them. I love the BT 021's on my TDM, particularly because the front lets a numpty like me get away with murder, wet or dry. Agile & secure.
Good, succinct write up. Cheers. You've obviously been having some good bike time:headbang:

mulletman
16th January 2013, 21:18
Is this mainly Akkas riding ? Many trips to the coast or kaikoura ?
Only ask because there doesnt look like much squaring off.
Great to have progress reports - cheers.

onearmedbandit
17th January 2013, 09:32
Is this mainly Akkas riding ? Many trips to the coast or kaikoura ?
Only ask because there doesnt look like much squaring off.
Great to have progress reports - cheers.

Mainly Birdlings Flat road to Little River, a couple trips over the Akaroa Hill, one trip down to Timaru and back and the rest commuting around town. Oh and a day out at the drags running mid 10's.

steve_t
17th January 2013, 09:36
Awesome review update. Thanks! And they're looking pretty good for 5000km for this sort of tyre. Will be keen to see if they make the 7500km mark too :drinknsin

Trade_nancy
17th January 2013, 09:37
Are you happy with 5,000 k's? Or are you hooning it to get that mileage? Not sure why you are so happy unless you own the tyre factory.
I got about 16,000 kms from my rear Pilot Road 2. Equally happy with their road holding.

steve_t
17th January 2013, 09:44
Are you happy with 5,000 k's? Or are you hooning it to get that mileage? Not sure why you are so happy unless you own the tyre factory.
I got about 16,000 kms from my rear Pilot Road 2. Equally happy with their road holding.

Kinda hard comparing a 'hypersport' tyre with a 'sport touring' one

roogazza
17th January 2013, 10:26
Mainly Birdlings Flat road to Little River, a couple trips over the Akaroa Hill, one trip down to Timaru and back and the rest commuting around town. Oh and a day out at the drags running mid 10's.

Thanks bud, great review. I going to have a go with a set of these.
How you do that to a set with just one arm amazes me, you're a champ.
As someone else said, interesting to see how far they go ?

willytheekid
17th January 2013, 11:29
Great stuff frazer :niceone:

Looks like the only chicken strips you ever see are at KFC! :laugh:

I just put a Battlax on the back of the VFR...as my michelin power pilot just destroyed its self! (went from WOFable to farked in under three weeks...Im blaming the hot weather! :innocent:)
I have always liked the battlax range, good millage, great grip and worth the money.
But as murphys laws seems to like me...I got a puncture on the way home the same day it was fitted :facepalm:

....now I just have to avoid Rastuscat & Co :Police: until my mechanics WOF guy gets back from his "extended" holiday (tomorrow...but murphys law an all that has me riding around with the mechanics bill that states "WOF"...paid, not recived!:laugh:....wof & reg expired on 23rd of dec :facepalm:...and the shreaded tyre didn't help speed things up lol....meh...shit happens aye)

Take care mate, look forward to your follow up review :yes:

ps...Ive also been looing at conti's new "motion" range (budget tyre apparently...but they seem to get really good reviews, might just try some out)

JayRacer37
17th January 2013, 12:55
Really pleased to hear you are having so much fun with them!

Given your bike usually is running pretty quick (not too much open road 100k action I don't think?) 5000km thus far seems reasonable - how are they holding out Vs. other tyres you have run on the same bike with similar riding?

Jay

Gremlin
17th January 2013, 13:45
You need to compare apples with apples. I'm shocked you only got 16k from a PR2 rear. My last, I got 24k.

On the other hand, I smoked a Conti Race Attack tyre (different bike) in 1500km (and to get that far it was basically a slick)

Apples with apples matey...

onearmedbandit
17th January 2013, 16:09

As others have said this is a sports tyre, I expect increased grip with decreased life.

Really pleased to hear you are having so much fun with them!

Given your bike usually is running pretty quick (not too much open road 100k action I don't think?) 5000km thus far seems reasonable - how are they holding out Vs. other tyres you have run on the same bike with similar riding?

Jay

Yeah it's seeing some reasonably high speed work, the tyres encourage it. So far I'm rapt with their longevity, so much so I wonder whether I'm working them hard enough! Compared to other rubber, the grip is as good as anything I've run yet they are mainaining their shape and integrity well better than most.

I honestly have no criticisms of these hoops. For the money they are outstanding (Ive paid more than these are worth on other tyres yet have not been as impressed) and they haven't let me down once. I've tried to shake them (I love the feeling of a bike kicking under me) but they just don't give up.

Timmeh:P
17th January 2013, 16:10
Getting these fitted today! :niceone: Glad to hear good things about them.

Trade_nancy
18th January 2013, 18:19
OK - my bad. Point taken. Didn't see from your thread narrative that you were rating a sport tyre...I guess your thread was for a "select" audience who know these things.
However I just finished off a set of Battlax BT-45's (yep - crossplys) on my classic CB750 - got to 4,500 km and had about 2,000 at most left in them. I guess you did real well...for the sort of riding you describe. My usage being much more sedate on the K2.

slofox
19th January 2013, 10:20
Just had the S20's fitted to The Vixen.

OK, so brand new and I only rode them home and then to work (via the scenic route of course) so I've only done about 70km so far.

As with all sets of new tyres, there's that wonderful feeling of progression from one side to t'other. But the most obvious first impression is that these buggers run on a rail. I frigged around with lines in a couple of corners and they didn't turn a hair - just went wherever I pointed them. Maybe I was imagining it but they felt better than I remember other new tyres.

I had the usual warnings about "go easy on those new tyres" which I duly did. For about five minutes. By then I had forgotten they were new. They didn't seem to think they were new either. Course, I didn't really have a chance to wring their necks but all the same, very positive first impression.

Nothing like new hoops, eh?

DAY TWO:

200k's and a tank of gas...

Two attempts at riding these tyres today. First was early morning. Dry here when I started (just) but immediately got damp. Never heavy, just enough to make the road wet. So no brave stuff in that from me. All the same, lean didn't seem to be a problem. I made no attempt to see how hard it would have been to spin the wheel...

Second go was this afternoon. Fine and dry. Windy.

Went over the hill to Raglan even though I should have known better. Gazillions of cars on the road, most sitting around 85 - 90. Which, I would have to say, is about as fast as cars should travel on that road in that volume of traffic.

There were a few gaps to zip through and eventually some corners to lean into.

The linear, "on a rail" thing is still in my face with these tyres. There is no conscious feeling coming from a change of angle when you lean - it all feels as though it is upright. I have yet to fully utilize this feeling, but I don't recall ever noticing this to the current level with any other tyre. It's just all down the line. Every time. Impressive.

Took a small detour on the way home along Te Pahu Rd. Much less traffic here. Again, very confidence-inspiring ride. The only time I got into a corner a little faster than planned, the tyres just hung on without so much as a wiggle. Very nice.

I can only echo what has already been said by onearmedbandit. These are noice toires.

onearmedbandit
19th January 2013, 10:24
As with all new sets of tyres, there's that wonderful feeling of progression from one side to t'other. But the most obvious first impression is that these buggers run on a rail. I frigged around with lines in a couple of corners and they didn't turn a hair - just went whereever I pointed them. Maybe I was imagining it but they felt better than I remember other new tyres.

I had the usual warnings about "go easy on those new tyres" which I duly did. For about five minutes. By then I had forgotten they were new. They didn't seem to think they were new either. Course, I didn't really have a chance to wring their necks but all the same, very positive first impression.

Nothing like new hoops, eh?

Echoes exactly what I felt with these tyres from day one. And it's only got better as time as progressed. I look forward to reading your opinion on them once you've put a few km's on them.

MIXONE
19th January 2013, 10:30
Being in the market for a new rear hoop for the duck what's one of these cost?

slofox
19th January 2013, 13:22

Boyds have the 190/55-17 for $322.

nzspokes
19th January 2013, 17:11

Im really happy with my PR2s, but these S20rs seem to be a higher traction tyre for bikes with some HP. Would be wasted on my run to work each day.

slofox
20th January 2013, 11:18
Im really happy with my PR2s, but these S20rs seem to be a higher traction tyre for bikes with some HP. Would be wasted on my run to work each day.

PR2's are pretty damn good. I used them on me SV when I had it. Got around 14000k per set.

Talked to a dude yesterday who had PR3's on his gixxer 750. He reckoned they were the bees' knees.

Coldrider
20th January 2013, 21:12
Boyds have the 190/55-17 for $322.Cycletreads have BT023 for $239, I expect everything from them that my OEM S20's gave, except track day capability, and far more kilometers.

\m/
21st January 2013, 20:04
My 750 will be needing new tires soon, might give the s20s a try.

Kruzah
24th January 2013, 12:55

Honda Hamilton has the best S20 prices that I've seen, and I know lots of people who get them fitted there.
$299 for a 190 rear. or $503 fully fitted for a set of 120/70 and 190/55.....

Kruzah
24th January 2013, 13:00
Boyds have the 190/55-17 for $322.

Thats expensive. As mentioned in previous reply, Honda Hamilton have 190 rear S20's for only $299

I've just checked thier advertising. Honda Hamilton (next to Speights pub, north end of Anglesea Street) has S20 tyres FULLY FITTED for the following prices, ON ANY BIKE....

180/55 & 120/70 - only $501
190/50 & 120/70 - only $502
190/55 & 120/70 - yep you guessed it, only $503

and if you don't live near Hamilton they will freight them FREE for only $499 a pair in any of the 3 size combo's above.

Kruzah
24th January 2013, 13:15
PR2's are pretty damn good. I used them on me SV when I had it. Got around 14000k per set.

Talked to a dude yesterday who had PR3's on his gixxer 750. He reckoned they were the bees' knees.

When you say PR2 and PR3 I assume you are referring to the Michelin Pilot Road 2, and Pilot Road 3 ? These are both awesome tyres. I run only Michelins on my own bike, not tried the Road3 yet though.
I have heard, and read, that the Road 3 tyres are AMAZING in wet weather - should be a great winter tyre, or year round touring tyre. Not really comparable to the Bridgestone S20 though as it's intended for a totally different type of riding. The S20 does share the PR3's awesome reputation for wet weather grip and handling though, so a great winter sports bike tyre. For a Gixxer of any kind the S20 is definately the way to go if the owner has intention to do any track days :headbang:

(just to clarify, I'm a bike mechanic, so I get to hear a lot of opinions about tyres from lots of different riders)

slofox
24th January 2013, 14:34
Honda Hamilton has the best S20 prices that I've seen, and I know lots of people who get them fitted there.
$299 for a 190 rear. or $503 fully fitted for a set of 120/70 and 190/55.....

My set was $480. Fitted. 120/70 and 185/55

mulletman
26th February 2013, 14:14
At the Bears racing at Ruapuna last weekend TSS had some crazy cheap deals going on these tyres.

AllanB
26th February 2013, 20:21
at the bears racing at ruapuna last weekend tss had some crazy cheap deals going on these tyres.

tss? .

mulletman
27th February 2013, 10:01
tss? .

Yep thats what i was thinking to when i saw it, (Welly? or AKL?)

ducatilover
27th February 2013, 11:11
:drool: Crikey that's some decent mileage from a proper tyre!
I don't think my Pilot Power is going to manage 4000km, let alone 5 on the 600. It's done a little over 2000km and a wet qualifying at Manfield on an SV and it's getting ready for replacement, seems to eat out the sides pretty fast (could just be me running shit pressures, suspension and rider)

SPP
27th February 2013, 19:51
Why so cheap??

I'm gonna give these a go on my new bike and start doing some road rides again with mates (having an R6 put an end to road trips).

These sound like they'd be primo for that. Thx for the heads up.

Corse1
27th February 2013, 20:09
I fitted a FRONT S20 to the 999 before my last track day and it was so confidence inspiring compared to the power 1 it replaced that I have just fitted a 190/55 to the rear. Different feel to 190/50 but on the 100kms I have spent on the road with it I love it. Have another track day Monday so well looking forward to that. Thumbs up to S20 tyres. Price I paid is $172 NZD for the rear from the states:2thumbsup
Had some stuff coming from the states for work so no Freight cost:cool:
Great to see they look good after 5000kms. Have you reached the 7500 yet OAB?

SPP
27th February 2013, 20:17
190/55 to the rear. Different feel to 190/50 but on the 100kms I have spent on the road with it I love it.

I haven't found any measurements for the S20, is the 55 taller and pointier or just taller?... I'm undecided on 50 (stock) or changing up to 55.

Corse1
27th February 2013, 20:47
I haven't found any measurements for the S20, is the 55 taller and pointier or just taller?... I'm undecided on 50 (stock) or changing up to 55.

The 55 is about 14 mm larger in diameter than the 50. Yes a pointier radius on the tyre. I had to space the hugger up.
The 999 only has a 5.5 inch rear rim so most guys who track them fit a 180/55 which is closer in diameter to the 190/50. 190 has a 6" rim as recommended with the 5.5" an acceptable option. I found this info out after I ordered the tyre so will go with 180 next time around

Definitely better turn in with a 55 profile. Stock the 999 is known to turn in slow buy super stable. Probably why Ducati fitted the OEM tyre as most bikes would be ridden on the road

SPP
27th February 2013, 20:58
The 55 is about 14 mm larger in diameter than the 50. Yes a pointier radius on the tyre. I had to space the hugger up.
The 999 only has a 5.5 inch rear rim so most guys who track them fit a 180/55 which is closer in diameter to the 190/50. 190 has a 6" rim as recommended with the 5.5" an acceptable option. I found this info out after I ordered the tyre so will go with 180 next time around

Definitely better turn in with a 55 profile. Stock the 999 is known to turn in slow buy super stable. Probably why Ducati fitted the OEM tyre as most bikes would be ridden on the road

Thanks, that's what I was after.

Corse1
27th February 2013, 21:07
Thanks, that's what I was after.
Check this out for details. Tyre specs bottom of page. Actually 16mm larger in diameter.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/s20.html

SPP
27th February 2013, 21:12
Check this out for details. Tyre specs bottom of page. Actually 16mm larger in diameter.
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/s20.html

ha ha thanks.

I flicked over a page like that, got as far as the pictures and thought marketing fluff and moved on.

Pointier profile was the info I was looking for.

Awesome, cheers.

gripper
3rd March 2013, 08:26
5000kms !! ?? Ive had two riding buddies with the s20's and neither of them got anywhere near 5000kms

onearmedbandit
3rd March 2013, 11:49
5000kms !! ?? Ive had two riding buddies with the s20's and neither of them got anywhere near 5000kms

I hear what you're saying, a friend of mine only got 3000 out of his rear before it was junk. We ride hard but he does a lot of slower speed hill corners where most of my riding is high speed open road corners. In saying that mines virtually poked now.

Ender EnZed
3rd March 2013, 12:14
In saying that mines virtually poked now.

How far has it been?

Coldrider
4th March 2013, 16:00
I'm guessing 6K.

onearmedbandit
4th March 2013, 17:25
How far has it been?

I'm guessing 6K.

And Coldrider is about bang on the money. Going to have to make it last a little longer yet, not working at the moment.

JayRacer37
5th March 2013, 14:50

Hi SPP, as Corse1 said the 55 is taller, 632mm outer diameter for the 190/50, 650mm for the 190/55. By virtue of this the tread area is also slightly wider - 193mm for the 190/50 and 198mm for the 190/55. For your bike on the 6" rim I would highly recommend the 190/55 as an upgrade - why some of the manufacturers are still using the 190/50 on their Superbikes as new is beyond me, I guess for higher grip at low lean angles (larger contact patch) although the 190/55 is a superior shape for the 1000cc bikes and 6" rim.

Not quite the same as the 999 I admit, but we were (and for many riders still are) running a 190/55 on a 5.5" rim on the 600 Supersports bikes for more mid corner and early exit grip than the 180/55. Was worth about 1second a lap at Manfeild for me when we first made the change. I would have thought with the lean angles the 999 is capable of in the right hands and the torque it produces, the 190/55 would be a better option in almost any application than the 180, by having more edge grip? Also gives you a free ride height increase, if it's anything like the 748R I raced for a few meetings it will appreciate that!

Jay

Corse1
5th March 2013, 15:46
Not quite the same as the 999 I admit, but we were (and for many riders still are) running a 190/55 on a 5.5" rim on the 600 Supersports bikes for more mid corner and early exit grip than the 180/55. Was worth about 1second a lap at Manfeild for me when we first made the change. I would have thought with the lean angles the 999 is capable of in the right hands and the torque it produces, the 190/55 would be a better option in almost any application than the 180, by having more edge grip? Also gives you a free ride height increase, if it's anything like the 748R I raced for a few meetings it will appreciate that!

Jay

Yeah the grip on exit was much improved yesterday. Not dissappointed with the choice of size at all. It was AB's in Nelson that recommended the 180 on a 999 as thats what they have found worked best. Pretty impressed with the S20.

SPP
5th March 2013, 22:03
Hi SPP, as Corse1 said the 55 is taller, 632mm outer diameter for the 190/50, 650mm for the 190/55. By virtue of this the tread area is also slightly wider - 193mm for the 190/50 and 198mm for the 190/55. For your bike on the 6" rim I would highly recommend the 190/55 as an upgrade - why some of the manufacturers are still using the 190/50 on their Superbikes as new is beyond me, I guess for higher grip at low lean angles (larger contact patch) although the 190/55 is a superior shape for the 1000cc bikes and 6" rim.

Jay

Hey thanks Jay.

Yeah 190/55 sounds like the go.

Drew
6th March 2013, 05:56
I squeezed a 190/55 onto the 5 inch rim of my RF900 which has 170 section tyre from the factory, and it loves it. Admittedly I don't use the bike quite as Suzuki intended, but the S20 is the first tyre that is still stable when doing wheelies, that I've had on there.

JayRacer37
6th March 2013, 09:26
I squeezed a 190/55 onto the 5 inch rim of my RF900 which has 170 section tyre from the factory, and it loves it. Admittedly I don't use the bike quite as Suzuki intended, but the S20 is the first tyre that is still stable when doing wheelies, that I've had on there.

The RF has a 5" rim? Didn't realise, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one...

Drew
6th March 2013, 11:13
The RF has a 5" rim? Didn't realise, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one...

That's the word. I've never actually checked to see if it'ss still original.

onearmedbandit
6th March 2013, 11:37
From what I can see they had a 5.5" rear rim as standard.

Corse1
6th March 2013, 11:51
Suspect the RF has 5.5. You wouldnt want to put a 190 on a 5" rim. You would never use all the tyre anyway so all you achieve is a perceived cool factor:cool:

Drew
6th March 2013, 11:52
From what I can see they had a 5.5" rear rim as standard.

Might depend which year. The first of them wore a 170 rear hoop, dunno about the later ones though.

Drew
6th March 2013, 11:54
Suspect the RF has 5.5. You wouldnt want to put a 190 on a 5" rim. You would never use all the tyre anyway so all you achieve is a perceived cool factor:cool:

It's an RF900. There's no cool factor.

JayRacer37
6th March 2013, 12:43

The Aussie Post classic guys race on 200 section Dunlops on 4.5" rims in their Forgotten (Rulebook) Era class, its mental - half the tyre is still new when they bin them!

Might depend which year. The first of them wore a 170 rear hoop, dunno about the later ones though.

94 thru 97 all show a 170 as a fitment, which would suggest 5" rims...

Drew
6th March 2013, 15:14
94 thru 97 all show a 170 as a fitment, which would suggest 5" rims...

There ya go then. That's all of them.

Drew
6th March 2013, 15:17
Oh yeah, cool or not the tyre is used, edge to edge.