PDA

View Full Version : Bushing Play?

speeding_ant
21st January 2013, 07:02
Whenever I lift up the rear of the bike and place it back down, I feel a good half cm of play when the wheel hits the ground.

Hornet has a monoshock, is it bushing play (do motobikes even have bushings?) or something else?

Cheers in advance!

unstuck
21st January 2013, 07:08
Is it greasable linkages? Sounds like the pins or bushes could be worn.probably going to be some sideways movement starting too.:Punk:

bogan
21st January 2013, 07:12
From memory the hornets don't have a linkage right? So it'll be either the bearing?? on the bottom end of the shock or the rubber bushing?? (not sure if it is a bushing/bearing top/bottom arrangement) on the top. When you move the wheel up and down can you tellwhat parts are moving and what isn't, to isolate the join where the play comes from. Sounds like you've noticed it before any real damage would have been done though.

speeding_ant
21st January 2013, 12:18
Correct, no linkage. I'll try and figure out where the play is coming from in more detail soon. I presume it's the same as downhill (mtn) bike rear shocks, they have needle bearings/bushings that wear out before to protect the shock eyelets? I found single pivots wore them out quicker.

Have started to notice sideways play, confirmed wheel bearings are fine... Wish I had a garage, being able to remove the shock myself would be nice.

bogan
21st January 2013, 12:28
Correct, no linkage. I'll try and figure out where the play is coming from in more detail soon. I presume it's the same as downhill (mtn) bike rear shocks, they have needle bearings/bushings that wear out before to protect the shock eyelets? I found single pivots wore them out quicker.

Have started to notice sideways play, confirmed wheel bearings are fine... Wish I had a garage, being able to remove the shock myself would be nice.

Its summer, don't be a pussy, use the driveway!

yeh generally needle bearing on the lower eyelet, sideways play on the shock, or on the wheel? if its the wheel it'll be swingarm arm bearings, the shock and it might be normal.

speeding_ant
21st January 2013, 12:34
All good things to check. Thanks for your help!

actungbaby
21st January 2013, 17:05
Whenever I lift up the rear of the bike and place it back down, I feel a good half cm of play when the wheel hits the ground.

Hornet has a monoshock, is it bushing play (do motobikes even have bushings?) or something else?

Cheers in advance!

Yes they do just fixing my prolink on 90,s honda xr 200 does it make any sort sweaking sound

My cbx 400 did as had mositure in the swing arm bearings they drilled some grease nipples

Which is good idea then u can add grease as matinece thing without taking the bike to bits

Mind the suspesion with drop down you mean sideways play, you probley feel that when riding the

bike around a corner feel like not quite inline

speeding_ant
21st January 2013, 18:51
No squeaking sound, can definitely feel sideways play when cornering. From what I understand I believe any sleeve type bushing is supposed to run dry anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong (usually am).

It's definitely the lower bushing - hopefully a nice quick easy fix!