PDA

View Full Version : Counting to TEN

FROSTY
13th August 2005, 16:07
Folks I've seen a fair few threads lately where some cage driver has done this or that and the KB er has been pisssed of by it.
I completely understand where you folks are coming from -I'm out there with ya.
For your own safety and possibly for the long term safety of other bikers can I suggest you count to ten before reacting.
Heres a little reality check .
2.0 tonnes of car versus 200kg of bike/rider -Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out whose gonna come off best if they collide.
The other thing is you'll get a shit load better response if you are calm and cool

zadok
13th August 2005, 16:10
Folks I've seen a fair few threads lately where some cage driver has done this or that and the KB er has been pisssed of by it. The other thing is you'll get a shit load better response if you are calm and cool
Here Here.

SixPackBack
13th August 2005, 16:28
[ if you are calm and cool[/QUOTE]
:Punk:

Beemer
13th August 2005, 16:54
I find yelling and shouting at them in my helmet while not giving them any indication (other than the initial shaken fist/raised or waving finger) I am still pissed off works well in most instances! Especially with an irridium visor...

I would probably be too scared to chase them or even stop if they pulled in where I could see them - you never know what they are like and this could be all the provocation they need to beat the crap out of you.

I was scared enough when a woman tried to cut in front of me at a roundabout a few years ago - she was in the left-turning lane but wanted to go straight ahead and attempted (unsuccessfully) to pull in front of me. I tooted and flashed the lights and she ended up behind me. She immediately jumped out of her car and ran up to me but unfortunately for her, the way was clear for me to move into the intersection so I just floored it and left her behind! I made sure I turned into a few side streets to ensure she wasn't following me too! Talk about increasing the heart rate! :sweatdrop

Motu
13th August 2005, 20:00
Those guys piss me off alright,I gotta turn down the music,but you can't hear them anyway with the stupid full face helmet and mirror visor,duh,thickos! When you've seen it all like me....something new crops up pretty quick! Never get personaly involved on the road....unless you have a 4X4......

Odin
13th August 2005, 20:42
Agree. In most cases it's just the cage drives ignorance/stupidity/inability that has causes the insedent. In some cases it might even be an ok driver but we all do stupid things/mistakes now and again so forgive and forget. If its a dickhead driver then getting angry at them will mostlikely only amuse them. :whocares:

Turn the other cheek :yawn:

parsley
13th August 2005, 20:46
I was scared enough when a woman tried to cut in front of me at a roundabout a few years ago - she was in the left-turning lane but wanted to go straight ahead and attempted (unsuccessfully) to pull in front of me. I tooted and flashed the lights and she ended up behind me. She immediately jumped out of her car and ran up to me...
I agree about counting to 10 and not overreacting, but I wouldn't have said tooting and flashing was overreacting.

TwoSeven
13th August 2005, 21:59
Well, I drive in town mostly at 40kph and I use the half face lid (preference). I'd have to go back to xmas last year for the last time someone cut me up - its amazing what a difference that extra 10kph makes in traffic to your stress levels.

Yesterday tho, someone waved to me (some person in a car). The latter happens quite a lot for me - usually every couple of days from car drivers being extra curtious.

I've noticed with the half face over the decades that cagers are more polite when they can see your face. I get waved on at intersections, people will chat to me at the lights etc.

Many years ago, I used to be as stressed out as the best of em, but since scrubbing off that 10k (even on the open road), I dont think its so bad any more.

Still get the old rush hour stress tho (i have to drive thru an industrial zone) , but thats me being granny mode cautious rather than car drivers messing up.

So I would suggest while counting to 10 as suggested - try taking that speed of ye old dial as well :)

Posh Tourer :P
13th August 2005, 23:51
She immediately jumped out of her car and ran up to me but unfortunately for her, the way was clear for me to move into the intersection so I just floored it and left her behind! I made sure I turned into a few side streets to ensure she wasn't following me too! Talk about increasing the heart rate! :sweatdrop

Maybe she wanted to apologise???

FROSTY
14th August 2005, 14:08
I agree about counting to 10 and not overreacting, but I wouldn't have said tooting and flashing was overreacting.
big differnce between the --Yea gidday here I am toot and flash and the
You Fucken NODDY Cager fist shake finger mashed on the horn

Beemer
14th August 2005, 15:14
The tooting was of the "hey, you're about to run into me, please be aware I am in your path" variety, not the "you're being a fuckwit, I'm not letting you in because it's not my fault you're in the wrong lane" variety! I didn't mean that I overreacted by tooting and flashing my lights at her - I was quite restrained, and there were no hand gestures involved!

As for her wanting to apologise, I think the fact she was bright red (well, the Maori equivalent anyway) and yelling and screaming her head off with a raised fist didn't give me that impression!

placidfemme
15th August 2005, 08:31
Whenever something like that happens to me... I just fume off to myself in my helmet and try to get as much space between me and whomever it was that pissed me off... Sure I'll come on here and bitch and moan about it, but I always try to never show my anger to the actual cager (mainly because I'm small n weak lol)

Counting to 10 is a good idea :)

Beemer
15th August 2005, 08:43
Same here, it's just not worth risking your life over. I will toot or flash the lights to let them know they have done something stupid, but after a particularly scary run-in with a gang member in Wellington, I am usually pretty careful about who I pick my fights with! I'd forgotten about this incident, but I was heading down a narrow street and there was a courier double-parked on the opposite side of the road and a big Valiant double-parked on my side of the road, effectively blocking the whole road. There was someone in the car, so I gave a toot - no response. I tooted again - still no response, so I gave a long blast on the horn. Response! This HUGE guy got out, Black Power vest and all, and walked back towards me! No way out, so I sat there quaking in my seat and cautiously wound the window down. "You're not tooting at ME, are you?" he asked. "No," I shakily replied, "I was tooting at that inconsiderate courier driver - look where he has parked, they think they own the road!" "Yeah," he said, "they're bastards" and walked back to his car! Thankfully the courier driver moved off at that point so I gave him a toot and waved my fist at him for good measure before driving around the Valiant and giving my 'friend' a cheerful wave! Talk about nearly shitting myself though!

placidfemme
15th August 2005, 09:23
lol I would have done the same thing... lol your "friend" was proberly smiling to himself...

And that is the perfect example... who knows who the person is that has offended you... in my case 99.95% of people that do something to piss me off are bigger and stronger then me... so I generally get all angry but don't show it...

T.I.E
15th August 2005, 09:40
this will seem big headed but i have to look at it like this, well i'm the best out there on the road. everyone out there is a complete idiot. they are all trying to kill me.
so seriuosly i don't have time to get pissed as the next idiot is only the next car away.

but a few wing mirriors for a collection would be nice.

Slipstream
15th August 2005, 11:18
ROAD RAGE MUCH?!

I agree that you should be angry if someone goes into your lane without indicating, I agree that you should be pissed off, if they pull out infront of you in a dangerous way....I agree with all of that. But what on earth do you think getting off your bike or out of your car and threatening the driver of the car is going to do? Make you feel better...not really, make them feel worse....doubt it, if anything that driver is just gonna think that all bikers are Wankers.

I still believe the best thing to do is, swear, beep horn to let them know you are there and take down their licence plate and car details. Give that info to the cops.....Karma WILL get them.

I seen it happen man.

Getting off your bike and acting like a retard is not the way to get things done, you're lowering yourself to their level and looking like a moron. Damaging their vehicle is just gonna get you a fine and not them.
I understand that if it's a near miss you'll be feeling the adrenallin....but like Frosty says....

COUNT TO 10!

SARGE
15th August 2005, 11:26
She immediately jumped out of her car and ran up to me but unfortunately for her, the way was clear for me to move into the intersection so I just floored it and left her behind! I made sure I turned into a few side streets to ensure she wasn't following me too! Talk about increasing the heart rate! :sweatdrop

i pray that some Fucktard jumps out at a light at me..i can get all my frustrations out at once at that point... ( he was swearing and throwing punches officer..) :devil2:

Dadpole
15th August 2005, 22:57
I had road rage before it became fashionable. Worked on the 'count to 5 system'. If I got to them before 5 would do the deed, after 5 had calmed down enough to be rational (most of the time). Age brings a more philosophical approach. :motu:

Ixion
15th August 2005, 23:55
I had road rage before it became fashionable. Worked on the 'count to 5 system'. If I got to them before 5 would do the deed, after 5 had calmed down enough to be rational (most of the time). Age brings a more philosophical approach. :motu:

No, it doesn't. They piss me off just as much as they ever did.

If I ever find I have cancer and thus have nothing to lose, there are going to be some REAL sorry cagers around the town.

Lou Girardin
17th August 2005, 10:15
I can never get to ten, the red mist descends around 5.

Dadpole
17th August 2005, 11:26
No, it doesn't. They piss me off just as much as they ever did.

By philosophical I really mean I try to find out first if they are big and willing to stamp on the ranting old git. :crybaby:

Gremlin
18th August 2005, 23:21
i pray that some Fucktard jumps out at a light at me..i can get all my frustrations out at once at that point... ( he was swearing and throwing punches officer..) :devil2:
the other way is:

Officer, he was jumping up and down ranting and his hands were clenched into fists. I thought he would hit me... So I hit him first :devil2: :kick:

username
20th August 2005, 15:32
Cont to ten.Sure sure i'll count to ten.
Kick the shit out of their car then One metre two metres Ten meters,gas it hard and away

unhingedlizard
22nd August 2005, 08:15
the other way is:

Officer, he was jumping up and down ranting and his hands were clenched into fists. I thought he would hit me... So I hit him first :devil2: :kick:

Do unto others before they do unto you

TonyB
22nd August 2005, 08:43
For your own safety and possibly for the long term safety of other bikers can I suggest you count to ten before reacting.
Heres a little reality check .

Good idea Frosty.
A while back I was nearly taken out by a guy coming the other way in a black Subaru who was passing a car on a big sweeping blind corner. It was close enough that I'm not sure how I managed to get past without running off the road. As soon as I was clear I started to brake, determined to turn around, chase him down, and kick some good sized dents in his doors. Then I realised that I was going to:

Stop and do a U-turn on a blind corner
Chase the other guy down by speeding
Ride along side him and attempt to damage his property, endangering both of us in the process.
and all because he had made a simple mistake and misjudged how quickly he could get past the other car. I've done that a few times myself, and I've always regretted it afterwards.
So I just let it go, and hoped that he was going to learn something from his mistake.

oldrider
30th August 2005, 23:13
Good advice frosty. It took me 60yrs to learn to count to ten. Just couldn't seem to get there. Did you know that contracting arthritis in the knuckles improves your learning capacity. I have arthritis all over the place now and I can go on counting forever. The ragers end up going away then because I can't remember what happened. Old age is wonderful. You meet so many nice new people and when you go slow everyone toots and waves to you. Ohh well back to the asylum its bedtime.
I think I'm John. Goodnight. :zzzz:

scumdog
31st August 2005, 12:35
One of the few good perks in my job is: getting the rego number of the offending vehicle, going to work, locating ph. number of said offending driver and giving them a call.

Fun starts now - "I'm contacting you as a result of a driving complaint regarding you driving at xxxx time at xxx place, it involved a vehicle registered to you and a motorbike"

Listen to some long-winded bull-shit story about how it was all the bike-riders fault yadda yadda yada and how "I am always a safe driver" etc.

THEN tell them I was the guy on the bike they cut-off/pulled out on front of or whatever.

Normally get a really long silence followed by "oh"....

:woohoo:

Flyingpony
31st August 2005, 17:28
Counted to 10 yesterday and got everybody’s attention from the nearby petrol station & car sales yard but not from the offending car :oi-grr:

Oldish dude pulled out from drive way right into the lane without looking once for traffic. Was big time on the brakes and into the medium strip followed by much heavier brakes because town planners have decided randomly placed pedestrian islands are all go and fashionable. Opposite lane was full of heavy traffic so that escape route was closed. Couldn't aim for car's tail, too close.

Well, my counting to 10 was 10 seconds of the horn; definitely need a much louder unit. It wasn't till he was fully in the lane and lined up to go was there any reaction to look for traffic. By this time I was right beside the driver door travelling at walking pace patiently clicking from 6th into 1st gear.