PDA

View Full Version : Steved and Keystone19's big day out

Keystone19
13th August 2005, 18:56
Steved and I did our CBTA Learners to Restricted course today.

We spent the day learning about hazard identification and 12 second rules as well as how to put the stuff into practice.

There were 15 people on the course and it was pretty interesting to see an R6 and an SV1000S with L plates on!

I have to admit I got a bit stressed out. They made us repeat the practical skills stuff you do for your Learners and after riding at some ridiculous speed down the back straight of Puke yesterday, do you think I could ride at 10kph round a bunch of cones in a carpark! :doh:

Anyway, it's all good news, we both passed! :clap:

Byebye L Plates!!

crashe
13th August 2005, 19:46
Congratulations Keystone and Steved......

Well done you two. :woohoo: :woohoo:

So Keystone you could hoon around a race track and tackle the hairpin nicely, yet struggled to go around a few cones... maybe you should have hooned around the cones and then you would have had no trouble....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah where are the pics from yesterday's track day and the few video's that you took as well.

I was really impressed with your riding at the track day yesterday....
Next you will be wanting to do a few wheelies...

How was the throttle today.... all go well?
Twas great of Gazzar to work on it for you at the track day.

Keystone19
13th August 2005, 20:10
Yeah where are the pics from yesterday's track day and the few video's that you took as well.

How was the throttle today.... all go well?
Twas great of Gazzar to work on it for you at the track day.

Pics are coming. Having trouble reducing them!

Throttle was great - thanks Gazzar and you too Crashe. Also thanks to Frosty for having the tools to do the job and providing input when needed!

SixPackBack
13th August 2005, 20:20
Steved and I did our CBTA Learners to Restricted course today.

We spent the day learning about hazard identification and 12 second rules as well as how to put the stuff into practice.

There were 15 people on the course and it was pretty interesting to see an R6 and an SV1000S with L plates on!

I have to admit I got a bit stressed out. They made us repeat the practical skills stuff you do for your Learners and after riding at some ridiculous speed down the back straight of Puke yesterday, do you think I could ride at 10kph round a bunch of cones in a carpark! :doh:

Anyway, it's all good news, we both passed! :clap:

Byebye L Plates!!

Superb......stress but you did it,[ thinking about the track all day no doubt] and count yourself lucky, took me 15 years to sort my cone issues out :clap:

steved
13th August 2005, 21:36

Byebye L Plates!!
The R6 arrived first and I thought, hmmmm. Then the SV1000 and the VTR1000. Then two 1500 cc cruisers. Amazing that these guys were so competent on bikes they never ride :whistle:

Only two weeks until we get the exemption, and then we can apply for the restricted licence, which will then arrive within a week! Seems a shame they can't hand out licenses on the day (only paperwork remains afterall) but the concept is still a trial.

soundbeltfarm
13th August 2005, 23:06
good stuff.

Zapf
13th August 2005, 23:36
nice.... one step closer to the big twins :)

what plans for the restricted to fulls CBTA?

steved
14th August 2005, 12:40
nice.... one step closer to the big twins :)

what plans for the restricted to fulls CBTA?
The course organisers were pushing it quite hard (all the applications forms were provided at the start of the restricted course) for in 6 weeks time and a lot of the participants were keen. I'm gonna give it some time as I'm not in a rush to jump on a big bike. Keystone may be though after her blat on the SV650 :Punk:

Mr Skid
14th August 2005, 12:55
The course organisers were pushing it quite hard (all the applications forms were provided at the start of the restricted course) for in 6 weeks time and a lot of the participants were keen. I'm gonna give it some time as I'm not in a rush to jump on a big bike. Keystone may be though after her blat on the SV650 :Punk:When I did my basic handling skills certificate they were pushing the CTBA 6L>6R course then. I'd imagine it's quite a good little money spinner for passrite.

I'll write a review of my CBTA 6R>6F course when I get around to it.

P.S. Stopped crashing my bike yet?

steved
14th August 2005, 17:56
I'll write a review of my CBTA 6R>6F course when I get around to it.

P.S. Stopped crashing my bike yet?
Does last weekend count? The group I was with reckoned you cursed it good and proper :violin: I put it on it's left yet again. The bike obviously has gotten bored of all the times you've laid it down on the right. I've broken the same damn mirror 3 times now!

I look forward to the review.

Zapf
14th August 2005, 20:51
The course organisers were pushing it quite hard (all the applications forms were provided at the start of the restricted course) for in 6 weeks time and a lot of the participants were keen. I'm gonna give it some time as I'm not in a rush to jump on a big bike. Keystone may be though after her blat on the SV650 :Punk:

yep... its all money and BS driven... you learn much more from Ride Right Ride Safe.... but oh well... lets u get a big bike...

Keystone19
14th August 2005, 20:58
yep... its all money and BS driven... you learn much more from Ride Right Ride Safe.... but oh well... lets u get a big bike...

Yeah, I'm going to do the Restricted to Full at the next opportunity.

I have now done the Ride Right and yesterday's CBTA course. I actually learnt heaps on both courses. The CBTA had some good stuff in it. I think the main thing they could improve on is providing more positive one-on-one feedback after practical sessions. One of the instructors was a bit negative in his comments about people's riding which did not inspire confidence! Ride Right was brilliant at that and a much more positive experience.

There is so much to learn!

Zapf
15th August 2005, 02:40
Yeah, I'm going to do the Restricted to Full at the next opportunity.

I have now done the Ride Right and yesterday's CBTA course. I actually learnt heaps on both courses. The CBTA had some good stuff in it. I think the main thing they could improve on is providing more positive one-on-one feedback after practical sessions. One of the instructors was a bit negative in his comments about people's riding which did not inspire confidence! Ride Right was brilliant at that and a much more positive experience.

There is so much to learn!

ah... the grumpy old guy? And I hate that carpark.... covered in oil and sawdust last time we used it.

steved
15th August 2005, 08:54
ah... the grumpy old guy? And I hate that carpark.... covered in oil and sawdust last time we used it.
He's no longer in charge of the course. He's passed it to a more mellow Irishman.

Keystone19
15th August 2005, 08:56
He's no longer in charge of the course. He's passed it to a more mellow Irishman.

Yeah, but he's still a grumpy old bastard. Didn't like his approach. Phil was nice though.

stify
15th August 2005, 09:07
congrats all, i did the cbta restricted to full course,was a little amazed with the riding skill of the instructor that took our group, part of the way back he took off and we would have needed to break the speed limit to catch up.....
so much for the "observation"

i learn't you need to order your lunch first when riding with a bigish group thou, and thats come in handy

2_SL0
16th August 2005, 10:32
The Irish guy on a CBR? The old grumpy guy, the ex MOT officer?

steved
16th August 2005, 11:20
The Irish guy on a CBR? The old grumpy guy, the ex MOT officer?The Irish guy was on some enormous Honda thing. The only model name I could find was something like "Pan-European". It looked kinda like a Blackbird, only bigger and festooned with panniers.