PDA

View Full Version : Honda Magna mods?

Craig#347
27th January 2013, 14:24
hey all just picked up 1996 magna 250cc good bike etc blah blah , really interested in making it a wee bit quicker without thowing a lot of $$$ at it .
Does any one know jetting mod sizes exhaust mods etc along those lines thanks:msn-wink:

FJRider
27th January 2013, 15:23
Throw it over a really big cliff. It will go faster than it ever has gone in the past. And you'll never need to spend money on it again .... EVER ...

tigertim20
27th January 2013, 15:35
honestly, it isnt worth it.

If you want to go a little quicker, sell it and buy a 400, or a 650 lams bike or similar - more get up and go, but not mind boggling power.

The Lone Rider
27th January 2013, 16:25
Quicker 250 magna? No.

Custom 250 magna, yes.

http://ridersrides.webs.com

FJRider
27th January 2013, 16:39
honestly, it isnt worth it.

If you want to go a little quicker, sell it and buy a 400, or a 650 lams bike or similar - more get up and go, but not mind boggling power.

I agree ..

To buy a half decent aftermarket can ... then re-jet it. After fitting aftermarket air filters to get the best out of it. For around 1-2 % gain in top end power (at red line) ... you could/would have paid at least $500 - $600 in parts/labour ... Often more.

Spend the money on GAS. And get a faster bike later. For now ... look at improving your riding skills so you ride smarter and faster.

Craig#347
27th January 2013, 16:50
hey all just picked up 1996 magna 250cc good bike etc blah blah , really interested in making it a wee bit quicker without thowing a lot of $$$ at it .
Does any one know jetting mod sizes exhaust mods etc along those lines thanks:msn-wink:

throw it off a cliff you fucking winner

DEATH_INC.
27th January 2013, 17:00
You get the same sort of gains % wise as you do with a bigger bike. So, if spending $500 gets you 6 hp on a 112hp bike (like it did on My old gsxr-aftermarket muffler) $500 will get you somewhere around 2 hp on your 250.
If you can live with that then go for it.
Mufflers, then filter, bigger carbs, full exhaust etc etc. There is no cheap way of getting a lot of power though.
I'd probably suggest doing a couple of mufflers, because you'll always feel faster with a better exhaust note, and a GOOD tune/service etc.

Or you could put the KX engine into it.... :p

FJRider
27th January 2013, 17:06
throw it off a cliff you fucking winner

To quote and abuse your own post is not a good look <_<

Craig#347
27th January 2013, 17:15
raced mx bikes for years most guys happy to swap mods e.g jetting clip height etc to make better than rich as stock settings obviously not the same on the road bike seen
not trying to make a 1200 out of a 250 . anyone got advice apart from throw of a cliff

FJRider
27th January 2013, 17:22
raced mx bikes for years most guys happy to swap mods e.g jetting clip height etc to make better than rich as stock settings obviously not the same on the road bike seen
not trying to make a 1200 out of a 250 . anyone got advice apart from throw of a cliff

If you have raced MX for years ... talk to the people YOU trust to do it. All such information is in various forums ... these ones and others. If you're too lazy to look ...

But on Magna 250's ... the cost gain ratio is not worth the effort.

chop
27th January 2013, 18:22
If you have raced MX for years ... talk to the people YOU trust to do it. All such information is in various forums ... these ones and others. If you're too lazy to look ...

But on Magna 250's ... the cost gain ratio is not worth the effort.

Are you serious chump???!! Get your head out of your arse!!! He bought what he bought so give it a rest,he didnt ask for your special needs opinion did he? From what i read in his orginal post he asked for help which every one is intitled to do. Take a look at yourself be for you pick at others. Either be helpful or f#ck off.

tigertim20
27th January 2013, 18:25

its pretty much been answered for you MX bikes are performance oriented and fairly easy gains can be made - a magna isnt performance oriented
Like Death said, several hundred bucks will get you a different exhaust note which will sound cooler, but will result in such a miniscule increase in performance that you simply wont even notice it.

Sell the magna and get something slightly bigger for similar money really is your best bet here. I would guess that a rejet, air filter and aftermarket exhaust system wil probably set you back $1200, and you MIGHT get 2.5 HP more out of it - OR $1200 PLUS what you sell the magna for is probably going to land you on a 600cc~ cruiser.

bogan
27th January 2013, 18:38
You get the same sort of gains % wise as you do with a bigger bike. So, if spending $500 gets you 6 hp on a 112hp bike (like it did on My old gsxr-aftermarket muffler) $500 will get you somewhere around 2 hp on your 250.
If you can live with that then go for it.
Mufflers, then filter, bigger carbs, full exhaust etc etc. There is no cheap way of getting a lot of power though.
I'd probably suggest doing a couple of mufflers, because you'll always feel faster with a better exhaust note, and a GOOD tune/service etc.

Or you could put the KX engine into it.... :p

Ahh, but he'll use those extra 2 ponies much more often than when you've got 100+ hp to begin with ;)

I'm with The Lone Rider on this one, quicker isn't worth it (beyond the simple can and filter mods), but customising other aspect of it could be a bit of fun.

FJRider
27th January 2013, 19:06
Are you serious chump???!! Get your head out of your arse!!! He bought what he bought so give it a rest,he didnt ask for your special needs opinion did he? From what i read in his orginal post he asked for help which every one is intitled to do. Take a look at yourself be for you pick at others. Either be helpful or f#ck off.

Considering that 4 out of the 6 that replied .... advised AGAINST spending time/money on the bike for little gain. The one positive post was advising that there was little gain apart from the sound of the exhaust. Not what the OP intended or hoped for no doubt.

Your post was certainly no help to him. But you are entitled to make stupid posts ... just as I am ... :killingme

bogan
27th January 2013, 19:15
Considering that 4 out of the 6 that replied .... advised AGAINST spending time/money on the bike for little gain. The one positive post was advising that there was little gain apart from the sound of the exhaust. Not what the OP intended or hoped for no doubt.

Your post was certainly no help to him. But you are entitled to make stupid posts ... just as I am ... :killingme

Yes, but a weight of opinion is up to fuck all compared to a helpful opinion...

Craig#347
27th January 2013, 19:20
dude get a f#king life no one wants your poo c#nting cuttle fish opion your like a b#
tch always gotta have the last say f#k off

FJRider
27th January 2013, 19:25
Yes, but a weight of opinion is up to fuck all compared to a helpful opinion...

I'm guessing he'll spend his money on aftermarket stuff ... just to prove me wrong and in spite of what I (or anybody else) said.

I'm fine with that.

It's up to him to figure out whats helpful.

carburator
27th January 2013, 19:30
I could use a new target backstop..

really abusing people an't going to get you no where
if you want a faster bike flick the magna and get a Race rep

its seriously not worth sinking $$$ into it..

as for MX bikes.. Meh racing is a little different
plus most MX bikes are setup very conservitive to start with.

bogan
27th January 2013, 19:31
I'm guessing he'll spend his money on aftermarket stuff ... just to prove me wrong and in spite of what I (or anybody else) said.

Yeh, if his writing style is anything to go by, he might not have the creativity or aptitude to do custom parts :bleh:

chop
27th January 2013, 19:33

I.am more than happy to help the chap mod they bike he CHOSE to purchase. You on the other had would appear to be looking for an argument and to bag people for their choice in motorcycles. Little sad really wouldnt you say, now off you go precious i think i hear your mother calling. Craig347 pm me if youd like actual help as it would seem the young lady wont stop churping in with usless posts

Craig#347
27th January 2013, 20:19
1200cc some ones compensating for a little pee pee aye MATE

but weight she must have last word

Hugo Nougo
27th January 2013, 23:34
http://youtu.be/suEyV6L39eI

Good luck with the magna, a friend of mine had one a few years back and like you he wanted more.

The exhaust is restrictive but you can't just gut it, unless you have access to gear and skills i'd leave it alone.

The gearings not bad but a few extra teeth on the rear made it mildly more interesting.

Just remember that going faster is not all about horsepower, the magna suffers from a shortage of brakes and handling, before you do anything else make sure they are as good as they can be. And put some decent handlebars on it.

ducatilover
27th January 2013, 23:51
Easiest option would be do a huge shit and drop that attitude, then get back to school.

Next I would:
Reverse megaphone mufflers (they look cool)
Uni foam filters
Ignition advancer
Re-jet.

This should see it pull near 20whp, but it'll sound fucking fast.

Then I would:
Have the cams re-ground, you'll be wanting 104 degree lobe centers and at least 250 degrees duration @.050, with massively steep ramps, probably a casual 9mm of lift
Then I'd look at cutting valve reliefs in to the pistons, while the head is off for the port work
I would then be fitting the nitro tank in the place of the rear seat
I'd chuck a set of Mikuni RS32s on it
This all would be very nice and should see you get close to 30whp

The next step would be:
IHI RHB3
Big custom plenum
Fuel pump
RR FPR
BOV
Cute intercoller
Dirty external waste gate
Retard ignition (herp derp)
Run the carb bowl vent to the intake (so it flows in to it, gotta get them bowls at pressure)
I reckon, if it'd push an RHB3 series turbo, you should be fingering 45-50hp on a decent set up with a decent amount of boost

I can help with all that, can help with the carbs and whatnot too (being serious)
But, my best advice is: Don't chase power, make the cunt loud and enjoy it.

Or shove some massive motor up it

unstuck
28th January 2013, 06:56
1200cc some ones compensating for a little pee pee aye MATE

but weight she must have last word

He isnt the one on here massaging his clit. Just get a bigger bike ya fag.Why the fuck you riding a girls bike anyway.Man up time sonny.:Punk::Punk:

FJRider
28th January 2013, 07:00
He isnt the one on here massaging his clit. Just get a bigger bike ya fag.Why the fuck you riding a girls bike anyway.Man up time sonny.:Punk::Punk:

You must spread ... :laugh:

FJRider
28th January 2013, 07:07
Easiest option would be do a huge shit and drop that attitude, then get back to school.

He's been racing motorcross for years ... that attitude gives him another 1/2 horsepower.

Next I would ...

Spend lots and lots of money ... (shortened version of yours)

Or shove some massive motor up it

Or ... insure it to the hilt ... and then chuck it in the tide.

caseye
28th January 2013, 09:54
Wow, revenge of the nerds has come to KB.
You young fella's really know how to win friends and influence people.
A 250 Magna, make it go faster? yep can do.
First get your hand of your cock, then start the thing up, ride it to a good high cliff and ride off it.
I did say ride off it,as in, stay on the fucking bike.
This way we will all know we are safer out on the roads as there will be one , no sorry at least 2, brain faded arseholes who most likely can't ride properly anyway on the roads with us.
OK, now we've got to know each other, yes I can swear and insult people too, your question is a valid one, the answers you received were just as valid and until you got picky and started the shit throwing this thread was going gangbusters.
If you want real advice on how to soup up a Magna, or any other bike for that matter, why don't you try asking for it, and then accepting that any and all answers received don't necessarily have to be taken personally and that many here in KB have some modicum of experience with making old/slow, impossibly lethargic bikes go better,they have learn't that in general terms these days the real answer lies in simply spending better and buying bigger to start with.

imdying
28th January 2013, 11:54
hey all just picked up 1996 magna 250cc good bike etc blah blah , really interested in making it a wee bit quicker without thowing a lot of $$$ at it .The only thing worthwhile would be putting a larger rear or smaller front sprocket on it. It'll make it accelerate faster, but it'll rob some top speed.

Does any one know jetting mod sizes exhaust mods etc along those lines thanks:msn-wink:Jetting never makes more power unless it was incorrectly jetted in the first place, which is probably unlikely.

nzspokes
28th January 2013, 19:06
raced mx bikes for years

They why did you buy a Magna? Couldn't find a slower 250?