PDA

View Full Version : 999S.... Who says they are slow???

Sparky Bills
14th August 2005, 01:15
Just thought id share this info...

Had a new Ducati 999S on our dyno this week.
Got 140 Hp on the back wheel!!!!
Plus the torque!!! (didnt see what that was)

So those who say that Ducatis dont have much power...
well this proves you wrong.

Thats all I have to day.

Slipstream
14th August 2005, 01:17

Thats all I have to day.

Doesn't count if you push them ;)

Mooch
14th August 2005, 01:32
Sparkybills , how does that compare to your R1 ? , ever had it on the motormart dyno ?

Slipstream
14th August 2005, 01:42
Sparkybills , how does that compare to your R1 ? , ever had it on the motormart dyno ?

huh??? what you talking bout Willis??!!.....nothing compares to an R1!!!:love:

Mooch
14th August 2005, 02:09

Really , Probably NZ's most crashed bike , (and why the rest of us pay so much for bike insurance) , I can't count the number of mates who've crashed them on one hand anymore. I do know two people that haven't though :confused: . Give me a bike that can get the power down on the road any day.

Slipstream
14th August 2005, 02:15
Really , Probably NZ's most crashed bike , (and why the rest of us pay so much for bike insurance) , I can't count the number of mates who've crashed them on one hand anymore. I do know two people that haven't though :confused: . Give me a bike that can get the power down on the road any day.

You are missing the point my friend....in a post somewhere I have already admitted that the R1 is slower, heavier and more expensive than some bikes...but come on, how can you say that you don't love the look of this sexy beast??????

Mooch
14th August 2005, 02:23
I liked them in Blue (1999-2000), but that was before I became a 1 eyed Ducati fanatic, having said that wife and I have hired a couple of R6's (its smaller cousin).
I still prefer a Red Ducati R models with hits of black carbon fibre though.... I can't be helped anymore ......

Uncle B
14th August 2005, 09:33

I'll be down on Monday to dribble all over it.

Is it avaliable for a test ride? buddy, pal, mate........pplleeaassee......can I at least sit on it and make brrmm brrmm noises?

zadok
14th August 2005, 09:48
Wow, you have R1itis real bad. :motu:

Sensei
14th August 2005, 10:02
[QUOTE=Sparky Bills]Just thought id share this info...

K3 GSXR1000 RWHP 151 & 81 Ftlbs
04 999s RWHP 140 & 81 Ftlbs

Nice TRY !! , but the K5 is even better than these . Go away & come back when you have something abit better !!!!!!!!! :motu:

Bonez
14th August 2005, 10:16

Thats all I have to day.There is no need to try and justify your ride ol bean. Just try and be happy with wot ya got. You are happy aren't you? :grouphug:

Coyote
14th August 2005, 14:04
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/superbikehp.jpg
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/superbiketorque.jpg

Bit far off from the "180hp" they all seem to claim

Brains
14th August 2005, 14:12

Thats all I have to day.

Wow what a bargin, 34 large or so for a bike thats not slow!? Don't know many people that would call a 999 slow, but in that same vein I don't know anyone that would call them fast either. When are ducati going to give up on the twin thing and start making V4's?! Better to spend a little bit extra and get an MV thou.

LB
14th August 2005, 18:24
It's all about what spins your wheels.

For what I paid for my M1000Si.e. (95bhp with aftermarket cans) I could have gotten a K4 GSXR1000 with about 160bhp, plus still had a couple of grand left.

But that's not what I wanted.

I love my two bikes, and wouldn't change for the world. There's heaps of other nice bikes out there, but I'm very very happy with what I've got.

Coyote
14th August 2005, 18:33

For what I paid for my M1000Si.e. (95bhp with aftermarket cans) I could have gotten a K4 GSXR1000 with about 160bhp, plus still had a couple of grand left.

But that's not what I wanted.

I love my two bikes, and wouldn't change for the world. There's heaps of other nice bikes out there, but I'm very very happy with what I've got.
Damn right. My CBR only has about 33hp at the wheel but I'm still happy with it. Makes a good race bike, and sounds bloody awesome when you redline it :2thumbsup

Sensei
14th August 2005, 18:34
When I owned my 2 Ducati's I loved them to Bits even tho they where in bits alot . They still are only a 90% complete bike .Would be great to see them get that xtra 10% to put them up with Aprilia's & the others .

White trash
14th August 2005, 19:00
Those are indeed impresive numbers from a V-twin. Very tasty and I'd love a blast on one.

And for the record, I certainly didn't say they were slow, just a little less fast.

mattt
14th August 2005, 20:38
And for the record, I certainly didn't say they were slow, just a little less fast.

Like you on the TL yesterday :Pokey:

The Stranger
14th August 2005, 22:03
Something troubles me about those graphs. Why do they stop at 13,000 rpm?
That is about 2,000 under the yamaha's red line.
Are those extra 2,000rpm useless?

I understood that RPM can effectively be converted to torque via gearing. If so surely that portion of the rev range would still be effective in all but top gear.
Sure it would not pull as hard as the torque curve is dropping off but still surely there is an advantage in using these revs.

Mooch
14th August 2005, 22:17
Wow what a bargin, 34 large or so for a bike thats not slow!? Don't know many people that would call a 999 slow, but in that same vein I don't know anyone that would call them fast either. When are ducati going to give up on the twin thing and start making V4's?! Better to spend a little bit extra and get an MV thou.

Due out next year based on Ducati motogp v4. :woohoo: http://www.ducati.com/desmosedici/
Still fires like a twin. :Punk:

Sparky Bills
15th August 2005, 08:39
The R1 has 145hp at the rear, so 140 is not too bad.

Id always own a 999 over a Gixer ANY DAY!! So you can keep your 151hp thankyou very much. :devil2:

And dont forget about the torque!!! I mean its a Ducati after all. :Punk:

Slipstream
15th August 2005, 10:53

Right on!! :Punk: You hit the nail on the head there LB :D
When you find a bike that you love, you don't care whether it's faster, lighter, cheaper etc than any of the others.

I like at least one bike from each brand, (although I still haven't found a BMW I like...yet) but there is just something about R1's, especially the '02 model. Can't explain it, just love it :D....Can't wait to own and ride one :ride:

Sensei
15th August 2005, 19:57
Id always own a 999 over a Gixer ANY DAY!! So you can keep your 151hp thankyou very much. :devil2:
And dont forget about the torque!!! I mean its a Ducati after all. :Punk:[/QUOTE]

Fuck that a Aprilia RSVR Factory would EAT it . Having owned Ducati's it still doesn't mean Shit when you get pissed on by a Jappa . Your only Kool when you've Stopped . :motu:

Bonez
15th August 2005, 20:08
Having owned Ducati's it still doesn't mean Shit when you get pissed on by a Jappa . Your only Kool when you've Stopped . :motu: You've done it now big falla :nono:

Sensei
15th August 2005, 20:39
:violin: :rofl:

Zed
15th August 2005, 21:24

Thats all I have to day.I think you've been giving too much ear to them die-hard Suzooki riders Sparky! No experienced sportsbike rider in their right mind (that could be the key) thinks that the Duke 999 (http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Ducati/999/2003/Ducati_999_Montage_1024.jpg) is gutless! :nono:

Sensei
15th August 2005, 22:13
:rofl: Calling me Crazy now & a Shit rider ZED . ?? :oi-grr:

loosebruce
15th August 2005, 23:32
I for one reckon the 999 is a awesome looking bike, and tis fast too match, no doubt at all on that.
But when it comes down to the real world, i paid $13K for my K3 which is still on par and if not better than the 999 at whatever figure they sell them at $30k plus, thats a bit much for me and a lot of people. And at the end of the day thats what it comes down to the 999 is a great bike, too much coin though. If i had a spare $30K though................

Zed
16th August 2005, 10:16
:rofl: Calling me Cray now & a Shit rider ZED . ?? :oi-grr:I wouldn't say that about you Sensei! :psst: I'll leave that call up to the groupies who ride with you down there in the Naki. :chase:

TonyB
16th August 2005, 10:26
Gotta say- Yamaha seem to have lost the plot slightly with the R1. It's well down on torque and HP at useable revs. Wonder why?

matthewt
16th August 2005, 13:42
Gotta say- Yamaha seem to have lost the plot slightly with the R1. It's well down on torque and HP at useable revs. Wonder why?

It's all just a leap frog competition. A few years ago none of the hardcore sports riders would touch a gsxr. Now suzuki seem to be on top. Give it a couple years and Honda/Yamaha/Kwaka will bite back.

Brains
16th August 2005, 14:08
Due out next year based on Ducati motogp v4. :woohoo: http://www.ducati.com/desmosedici/
Still fires like a twin. :Punk:

Hmm, at one a day I'm guessing the price will be in the 6 figure bracket, why is it that everyone else can build xtremely fast bikes for less than 30K, but ducati need ya to sell the wife and girlfriend, morgate the house, and put your own organs up for sale on ebay, for ya to afford a decent ducati? Heck even in the twins, the 999R is twice the price of a Aprilla factory and has the same components and around the same poke.

Ducatis are marketed on the fact that they win, but they don't win that much any more, why anyone would spend that much money on a bike that is not as fast as others, or wins races, is a little odd. Don't even get me started on servicing costs. Whats really funny is when people try to justify their purchase, when all they need to say is that they enjoy riding their duc - and thats what it's all about.

matthewt
16th August 2005, 14:35
why anyone would spend that much money on a bike that is not as fast as others, or wins races, is a little odd.

Not everyone is into ultimate speed, the 4 valve ducs are fast enough for most people (something lost on gsxr1000 owners it seems :whistle: )

If you can afford one and you like it then why not ??

You could substitute the word Ducati with Harley or Triumph or BMW or Aprillia or any number of bikes that cost more than the big 4 jap makers.

You're right though, in the end it doesn't matter as long as the person on the bike is having a good time.

White trash
16th August 2005, 17:06
A few years ago none of the hardcore sports riders would touch a gsxr. Now suzuki seem to be on top. Give it a couple years and Honda/Yamaha/Kwaka will bite back.

A few? Mate, pure sports bike riders have been riding nothing but Gixxers since 1996. Between 1988 and the things were a bit lardy, admitedly, but the GSXR has been at or very near the top for almost a decade now.

matthewt
16th August 2005, 17:36
A few? Mate, pure sports bike riders have been riding nothing but Gixxers since 1996. Between 1988 and the things were a bit lardy, admitedly, but the GSXR has been at or very near the top for almost a decade now.

You sure about that ?? I seem to recall when the fireblade first came out it was #1, that reigned until the R1 took the crown. Wouldn't that put it close to 2000 before sue-zoo-key really put their foot down. I'm not trying to mock you gsxr1k riders (coz fuck knows your knees jerk hard enough as it is :rofl: ) but I don't really recall them being the daddy until 2000.

WINJA
16th August 2005, 17:57
[QUOTE=Sparky Bills]Just thought id share this info...

K3 GSXR1000 RWHP 151 & 81 Ftlbs
04 999s RWHP 140 & 81 Ftlbs

Nice TRY !! , but the K5 is even better than these . Go away & come back when you have something abit better !!!!!!!!! :motu:
MUST REVERT BACK TO MY MASTERS OF RAM AIR STATMENT CAUSE I KICKED A 999 ALL OVER NORTHLAND AND I WAS DOUBLING

Coyote
16th August 2005, 18:05
The R1 has 145hp at the rear, so 140 is not too bad.

Is your R1 stock though? What year is it?

And also, don't the ex-race bikes in the motorcycle trader have like 180hp at the wheel?

riffer
16th August 2005, 19:53
Don't the ex-race bikes in the motorcycle trader have like 180hp at the wheel?

180bhp at the rear wheel does not equal useable horsepower anywhere else in the range.

I would think they are probably tuned for more horses at higher rpms at the expense of the bottom end.

White trash
16th August 2005, 20:00
You sure about that ?? I seem to recall when the fireblade first came out it was #1, that reigned until the R1 took the crown. Wouldn't that put it close to 2000 before sue-zoo-key really put their foot down. I'm not trying to mock you gsxr1k riders (coz fuck knows your knees jerk hard enough as it is :rofl: ) but I don't really recall them being the daddy until 2000.

Yeas I am sure. In 96 when the new look SRAD 750 was released, the worlds motorcycle press voiced it as a far superior bike to the 'Blade.

'98 saw the rease of the R1, granted, but the 98-99 Gixxer seven was still regarded as offering better handling. 2000 model 750 delivered R1 power with alot better handling. 2001 comes the 1000cc Gixxer and the others have been playing catch up ever since.

WINJA
16th August 2005, 20:14
Yeas I am sure. In 96 when the new look SRAD 750 was released, the worlds motorcycle press voiced it as a far superior bike to the 'Blade.

'98 saw the rease of the R1, granted, but the 98-99 Gixxer seven was still regarded as offering better handling. 2000 model 750 delivered R1 power with alot better handling. 2001 comes the 1000cc Gixxer and the others have been playing catch up ever since.
I DONT THINK THE NEW BLADE HAS CAUGHT UP TO THE 01 GSXR1000

Sensei
16th August 2005, 20:44
Nothing in the Naki got near my 93 GSXR1100R for years on the road or the Drag Stip !! 10 .2 sec Timed 1/4 Took a mates 86 GSXR1100R to a 11.02 sec 1/4 the same day May not have been the best handler for its day but still one Hell of a motor .

Deano
16th August 2005, 20:51

What, is the 01 GIXXER only a bike length and a quarter behind the 03 between 120k and 220k ? :rofl:

Sensei
16th August 2005, 20:56
What, is the 01 GIXXER only a bike length and a quarter behind the 03 between 120k and 220k ? :rofl:

Still not taking the News well a Deano . Don't worry Dude wait till your told your bike looks Pretty . :clap:

Deano
16th August 2005, 21:06
Still not taking the News well a Deano . Don't worry Dude wait till your told your bike looks Pretty . :clap:

You and Winja can say what you like mate - I'm happy as Larry with my decision.

You'll have to do much better than that to wind me up - just showed me that you don't seem to have much perspective.

Don't you think if I was worried (about a bike length and a half - :rofl: sorry I'm still laughing) I would have got the 04 GXR and saved a couple of grand ?

Each to their own. It's all about the ride.

Sparky Bills
16th August 2005, 23:23
Is your R1 stock though? What year is it?

And also, don't the ex-race bikes in the motorcycle trader have like 180hp at the wheel?

I got an Arrow Can and DNA air filter on the R1.
Nearly all the bikes in F1 are tuned for top end. As thats where they are ridden. But there is no way anyone could use that on the road.

All in all,

DUCATI DO MAKE GREAT BIKES!!! :motu:
GO DUCATI!!!!

matthewt
17th August 2005, 00:51
In 96 when the new look SRAD 750 was released, the worlds motorcycle press voiced it as a far superior bike to the 'Blade.

Well, they can say all they want but we all know when your mate has just toasted your 750 on his r1 down some straight whatever they said just counted for half of bugger all.

'98 saw the rease of the R1, granted, but the 98-99 Gixxer seven was still regarded as offering better handling.

10 points for someone finally saying the obvious. It doesn't matter how fast you are in a straight line if you can't throw the bike into a corner. All this BS about inline4 vs v-twin, the reason I said it was a load of old wank is because 99% of the roads people here rave about are all twisty. On those same roads I doubt many would go much faster if they rode a v-twin or a inline4. Whether I was on the Brutale or a 996 I'd still make it up to the takas in the same time.

White trash
17th August 2005, 08:55
You and Winja can say what you like mate - I'm happy as Larry with my decision.

You'll have to do much better than that to wind me up -

He's right Sensei, I've been giving the prick shit all weekend about his new bike and he's just sat there with a stupid fucking grin on his face.

White trash
17th August 2005, 08:59
10 points for someone finally saying the obvious. It doesn't matter how fast you are in a straight line if you can't throw the bike into a corner. All this BS about inline4 vs v-twin, the reason I said it was a load of old wank is because 99% of the roads people here rave about are all twisty. On those same roads I doubt many would go much faster if they rode a v-twin or a inline4. Whether I was on the Brutale or a 996 I'd still make it up to the takas in the same time.

I agree MOST people couldn't, but I know a few people that can. Myself for one.

But I also believe that the Gixxer thou' is a better handling bike than the Duke too. Although, I've never ridden a 999S, the 999 was alright, but not quite as sharp as the Zookey. The 916-996S were just too slow steering completely.

RSV1000R? Now that's a totaly diferent story! Gimmegimmegime!

WRT
17th August 2005, 10:03
RSV1000R? Now that's a totaly diferent story! Gimmegimmegime!

Love the way that appears directly above the line stating "twins dont rate except in the minds of their owners". However, as far as the RSV goes, I'm with you on that one - gonna have one of those as my next baby!!

Brains
20th August 2005, 12:00

Right? You the man winja - or is that winnever?

hondacmx450
20th August 2005, 16:17
Doesn't count if you push them ;)
well that is harsh considering you r in a push chair at the mo :violin:

hondacmx450
20th August 2005, 16:30
Right? You the man winja - or is that winnever?
now brains you have to understand winger was droped as a child of the all the bike that were around back then the only one he could manage to hold on to was a suzuki a 50 that is why he like suzukies so much CAPS CAPS CAPS compensating for lost youth and time spent in the girls changing room sniffing used undies

get out and paint your own roof you fat brat (c@#t)

Squiggles
20th August 2005, 17:13
Damn right. My CBR only has about 33hp at the wheel but I'm still happy with it. Makes a good race bike

hell yeah :D go the under 60hp bikes :Punk:

WINJA
20th August 2005, 18:16
now brains you have to understand winger was droped as a child of the all the bike that were around back then the only one he could manage to hold on to was a suzuki a 50 that is why he like suzukies so much CAPS CAPS CAPS compensating for lost youth and time spent in the girls changing room sniffing used undies

get out and paint your own roof you fat brat (c@#t)
CONSIDERING I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT TURNED UP TO YOUR ORGANIZED RIDE YOUD KNOW I HAVE MORE THAN JUST ONE BIKE ,
BTW GOT THAT HOUSE YET OR ARE YA STILL DREAMING :motu:

Coyote
20th August 2005, 18:22
Nearly all the bikes in F1 are tuned for top end. As thats where they are ridden.

So how would I go about tuning the CBR? Since I've got my restricted I'm now getting back into racing

Sensei
21st August 2005, 09:09
So how would I go about tuning the CBR? Since I've got my restricted I'm now getting back into racing

Drop a 954 Blade motor into it :Punk: you'll be the MAN till the first corner !

WINJA
21st August 2005, 10:45
Drop a 954 Blade motor into it :Punk: you'll be the MAN till the first corner !
I SAW A BIKE MAG DID THIS BUT IT WAS SLOWER IN EVERY ASPECT THAN THE DONER BIKE , BUT THE MOTOR WORKED GOOD IN A GO KART 8 SECOND QUARTER MILE YEHAA

Coyote
21st August 2005, 10:55
I SAW A BIKE MAG DID THIS BUT IT WAS SLOWER IN EVERY ASPECT THAN THE DONER BIKE , BUT THE MOTOR WORKED GOOD IN A GO KART 8 SECOND QUARTER MILE YEHAA
Now this is a Kart http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/lhkart.shtml

ams67
21st August 2005, 17:42
I have 141HP on my Aprilia 1000.
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/aprilia_rsv_mille_1000_r_factory_2004.php
It is more than enough for having a great deal of fun.
But power is not everything. I have less HP than my previous bike (CBR 1000R5), but handling the Aprilia as the Ducati is a completely different experience. To this we need to add also a better design (they are good looking machines.. ;-) ).
Since I moved from 4 to V twin and appreaciate the torque, I have relized that I would not go back to 4 or a Jap bike.
The Aprilia is spoiling me...

Sensei
21st August 2005, 18:09
I have 141HP on my Aprilia 1000.
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/aprilia_rsv_mille_1000_r_factory_2004.php
It is more than enough for having a great deal of fun.
But power is not everything. I have less HP than my previous bike (CBR 1000R5), but handling the Aprilia as the Ducati is a completely different experience. To this we need to add also a better design (they are good looking machines.. ;-) ).
Since I moved from 4 to V twin and appreaciate the torque, I have relized that I would not go back to 4 or a Jap bike.
The Aprilia is spoiling me...

I ride with 5 Aprilia owner's RSVR's & a Factory R & 1 Mille . Beautiful bikes & go bloody fast too . But still the GSXR holds it own in the corner's . They are good for about 270k then it's all over Rover , which is plenty quick enough for anyone . But I aren't in to getting blasted by at 250k , so will just put up with the Old Girl till Aprilia turn out a Fire breathing 200HP Twin then look out :Punk:

Brains
21st August 2005, 22:23
CONSIDERING I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT TURNED UP TO YOUR ORGANIZED RIDE YOUD KNOW I HAVE MORE THAN JUST ONE BIKE ,
BTW GOT THAT HOUSE YET OR ARE YA STILL DREAMING :motu:

You weren't the only one winja, it's just a group of us saw you where there and turned off and headed off to Bruces and waited for him there. And most of us realise you have more than one bike, most of us wouldn't have pointed it out though, can you say build quality b'arch? :motu:

Brains
21st August 2005, 22:28
Not everyone is into ultimate speed, the 4 valve ducs are fast enough for most people (something lost on gsxr1000 owners it seems :whistle: )

If you can afford one and you like it then why not ??

You could substitute the word Ducati with Harley or Triumph or BMW or Aprillia or any number of bikes that cost more than the big 4 jap makers.

You're right though, in the end it doesn't matter as long as the person on the bike is having a good time.

Just need to delete Aprillia from that list mat, $32 (or so) grand for a great looking bike, ohlins front and rear, brembo radials, oz wheels, carbon fibre galore, a stokin motor, for my money that's priced as wheel as any japanesse bike - GSXR1000 $23K, Ohlins front $4K, Ohlins rear $2.5K, Oz wheels $3K, Brembos $3K, and the list goes on.

mikey
22nd August 2005, 13:23
not as slow as you, found my one crash bung yet?