PDA

View Full Version : CBR250 fork seals?

0li123
7th February 2013, 16:41
Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer so hear I am.

I have just had my fork seals replaced on my mc22 cbr250 about two weeks ago. I have just started noticing a fair amount of oil being left on the forks after they have been under full compression, its enough to leave a ring around the fork and dribble down. Also after riding for short distances I can see a reasonable amount of oil pooling on the fork seals themselves. Now I don't know for sure but I am pretty sure this is not how it is meant to be?

If someone could tell me for sure I would appreciate it so I can take it back to the shop and get it fixed properly if this is not how it should be.

cheers

george formby
7th February 2013, 16:44
How do you know it's full compression, did they hit full compression before the seals were replaced?

No, your forks should not leak oil, at all. Nary a skerrick.

unstuck
7th February 2013, 16:58
Take it back, it could be that your forks are scratched or pitted, although a competent mechanic should of noticed that when doing the seals. If you are not happy with it, take it back.:Punk:

0li123
7th February 2013, 17:01
How do you know it's full compression, did they hit full compression before the seals were replaced?

No, your forks should not leak oil, at all. Nary a skerrick.

Sorry I just mean pushing down on them as hard as I can while not riding.. Probably not fully compressed. Well they are definitely leaking so Im taking the bike back.

Robert Taylor
7th February 2013, 17:36
Sorry I just mean pushing down on them as hard as I can while not riding.. Probably not fully compressed. Well they are definitely leaking so Im taking the bike back.

Can you have a really close look at the chrome sliders with the forks fully extended ( clean them thoroughly first ) See if there are any nicks, scratches or rust pit marks in any of the area swept by the seals?

Ask the mechanic how he installed the seals, did he use a proper seal driver? Did he instal them cold or did he warm the outer tubes to ease fitment? You might wish to do a bit of detective work, perhaps with the help of a mechanically competent friend if you dont feel confident. BEFORE you take the bike back. Carefully prise the dust seals up and have a look in the area that the seals are installed. If there are any irregular installing marks or cupping of the top surface of the seals then they havent been installed properly

If the forks are indeed rust pitted or marked etc and if also the bushings are worn the shop should have informed you prior to proceeding further, and if you decided on a ''patch up / low cost'' job then a disclaiming statement including ''at owners risk'' should be on the invoice

It will also be interesting to know what brand of seals have been fitted, its not a nice thing to state it on here so PM me on that score. There are a handful of brands we stay well away from.

0li123
7th February 2013, 20:14
Can you have a really close look at the chrome sliders with the forks fully extended ( clean them thoroughly first ) See if there are any nicks, scratches or rust pit marks in any of the area swept by the seals?

Ask the mechanic how he installed the seals, did he use a proper seal driver? Did he instal them cold or did he warm the outer tubes to ease fitment? You might wish to do a bit of detective work, perhaps with the help of a mechanically competent friend if you dont feel confident. BEFORE you take the bike back. Carefully prise the dust seals up and have a look in the area that the seals are installed. If there are any irregular installing marks or cupping of the top surface of the seals then they havent been installed properly

If the forks are indeed rust pitted or marked etc and if also the bushings are worn the shop should have informed you prior to proceeding further, and if you decided on a ''patch up / low cost'' job then a disclaiming statement including ''at owners risk'' should be on the invoice

It will also be interesting to know what brand of seals have been fitted, its not a nice thing to state it on here so PM me on that score. There are a handful of brands we stay well away from.

Hmm well I cant see any obvious scratches or pits, I will try and have a look at the seals tomorrow. The mechanic actually mentioned that the bushes were in fairly good nick so that rules that out, im not sure what seals were used though.. I only have about a week left in Auckland before I am meant to ride down to Dunedin, so I am under some time constraints. The seals were not even particularly bad when I got them done it was more just a preventative measure for this ride as its pretty big and I would hate for something to go wrong on the trip and now I have this issue which appears to be worse than before. VERY ANNOYING.

ducatilover
7th February 2013, 20:23
Any dull parts on the chrome?
I re sealed and bushed my forks, only to notice one of my sliders is poo-poo. And after a few hundred km, I think that fork is more or less dry
:facepalm:

0li123
8th February 2013, 18:02
I went and spoke to the mechanic and he was great about it. He mentioned that they may have forgotten to sand back the forks as there are some minor patches of rust and thought maybe they used cheap seals. Any way he said to drop the bike in next week and he would sort it out so all good. :yes:

unstuck
8th February 2013, 18:14
I went and spoke to the mechanic and he was great about it. He mentioned that they may have forgotten to sand back the forks as there are some minor patches of rust and thought maybe they used cheap seals. Any way he said to drop the bike in next week and he would sort it out so all good. :yes:

Sounds a wee bit amaturish to me, but if you are happy for them to do more work on your bike, go for it. Good luck with it anyway, nothing worse than having a bike and not being able to ride it.:Punk:

Edbear
8th February 2013, 21:21
Sounds a wee bit amaturish to me, but if you are happy for them to do more work on your bike, go for it. Good luck with it anyway, nothing worse than having a bike and not being able to ride it.:Punk:

Yup, being told never to ride again by your surgeon who spent several hours rebuilding your shattered back and who said if you do and stuff it up again, there is nothing more he could do. :no:

Then your neighbour comes home this evening with his new Thruxton...

Sorry, off topic. hope you get the desired result, mate.

0li123
12th February 2013, 18:32
Got my baby back to day free of charge which is to be expected. the bike felt great and after being put through its paces the seals looked as though they were doing there job. Much happier with the end product but time will tell, unfortunately im leaving town for the remainder of the year so it will be more difficult to get them replaced for a third time lol. but for know im happy, has been a beautiful afternoon for a cruz/thrash :Punk:.

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 18:55
I like a winning result :woohoo: