PDA

View Full Version : Commute time from Pukerua Bay?

speeding_ant
7th February 2013, 21:32
Thinking of buying a house in Pukerua Bay. Commute into Wellington on peak traffic, what are your experiences? How long does it usually take you?

Cheers

Paul in NZ
8th February 2013, 06:39
Thinking of buying a house in Pukerua Bay. Commute into Wellington on peak traffic, what are your experiences? How long does it usually take you?

Cheers

Easy way is the train - say 45 mins max

On a bike, off peak - 30 to 40 mins. Avoid peak hour unless you are a super lane splitter and start early / finish early. If you must go peak hour travel time is decided by how brave/lucky you feel.

speeding_ant
8th February 2013, 08:20
If you didn't hoon it through the traffic, would you expect an hour in peak traffic? Problem is I need a vehicle for work. That means either bike or car.

Dragon
8th February 2013, 08:24
I commute from Paraparumu

Leave at 615am generally get in about 7-715am I don't lane split

Going home I leave about 455-5pm and get home about 605-630pm depending on the roadworks at Paekoriki

Im generally half way around the area between Paekoriki and pukerua bay by 630am

Paul in NZ
8th February 2013, 08:25
What time do you need to be at work?

If I'm driving I leave Kapiti at 6am and its roughly 50 mins. Leave at 6:30 its an hour and leave at 7am its Hour twenty sometimes.

speeding_ant
8th February 2013, 18:43
Around 9-9:30!

Thanks for the info so far all :D

mashman
8th February 2013, 18:55
Peak seems to be from about 7:15/30 - 8:30/45. In between those times you can expect the traffic to back up anywhere from Linden on a bad day (usually wet) to the Grenada North turnoff (about the norm). Splitting through it isn't usually too bad, no need to hoon and usually takes about 30/45 mins from Whitby as the traffic is usually crawling, but generally bumper to bumper and not too much lane changing of cars. I once had a job that started about 9 and could get in with time for a cig before 9 when leaving at 8:30... usually the school run traffic is over and done with and the early birds are in at work. Add 15 mins from Pukerua. Will likely get worse should Transmission Gully ever become a reality :shifty: but people don't like to talk about that.

Edit: Coming back isn't too bad until you hit the rounabout at Whitby. A great excuse to have a quick spin around the inlet :)

carbonhed
8th February 2013, 19:26
Will likely get worse should Transmission Gully ever become a reality :shifty: but people don't like to talk about that.

I know I'm gpoing to regret this but, go on, fucking enlighten me oh source of infinite fucking wisdom on every fucking topic imaginable.

mashman
8th February 2013, 19:31
I know I'm gpoing to regret this but, go on, fucking enlighten me oh source of infinite fucking wisdom on every fucking topic imaginable.

No you're not. I'm sure that shifting the same volume of traffic to a known bottleneck via 2 routes is really going to speed things up given that every bottleneck on that road happens at on/off ramps. Oh, and cheers for the compliment.

Shadows
9th February 2013, 10:24
No you're not. I'm sure that shifting the same volume of traffic to a known bottleneck via 2 routes is really going to speed things up given that every bottleneck on that road happens at on/off ramps. Oh, and cheers for the compliment.

It won't be the same volume of traffic going through each point. Traffic for Paekak North will use it, local traffic will stay on the old road. Somebody heading to and from Pukerua Bay will have a much easier run. Any "bottleneck" in the mornings will be no worse than the existing SH1/SH2 merge.

FJRider
9th February 2013, 10:46
I used to take Greys Road and then over the Heywards ... slightly longer and more fun. MUCH more fun.

Madness
9th February 2013, 11:15
I used to take Greys Road and then over the Heywards ... slightly longer and more fun. MUCH more fun.

That would have been before the "experts" lowered to speed limit on Greys Road to suit the lowest common denominator, i.e; fuckwits.

carbonhed
9th February 2013, 13:07

You're right you never fail to disappoint... reduce a complex web of costs and benefits to a peurile banality that would satisfy any halfwit, kudos.

Actually I'd have thought the benefits to Paremata, Plimmerton, Pukerua Bay and Paekakariki from not having the juggernaut of SH1 traffic thundering through the heart of their communities would have been immense. Your property values will soar as your lifestyles improve.

mashman
9th February 2013, 16:16
It won't be the same volume of traffic going through each point. Traffic for Paekak North will use it, local traffic will stay on the old road. Somebody heading to and from Pukerua Bay will have a much easier run. Any "bottleneck" in the mornings will be no worse than the existing SH1/SH2 merge.

Mebee... although given that it's going to be 2 lanes of traffic filtering into 1 lane of traffic from 2 directions, I can't see anyone norf of Linden getting a better run in. I equate it to heading into Pukerua at the end of the day where 2 lanes go into 1 and the traffic almost backs up to the Plimmerton roundabout. That will be happening as the traffic from the norf filters down into a single lane causing a bottleneck on the new road as well as causing a bottleneck on SH1 at the same time with the constant new traffic coming in from the left. I've yet to see that sort of junction work in the ways you highlight.

Edit: There's also the consideration of tolling having an affect on who will use the road... if they go ahead with tolls that is.

You're right you never fail to disappoint... reduce a complex web of costs and benefits to a peurile banality that would satisfy any halfwit, kudos.

Actually I'd have thought the benefits to Paremata, Plimmerton, Pukerua Bay and Paekakariki from not having the juggernaut of SH1 traffic thundering through the heart of their communities would have been immense. Your property values will soar as your lifestyles improve.

It's called summing things up :facepalm:. I often do that to satisfy the halfwits. You're welcome. If I was going to go into it, I'd say that the money would be better spent on a business centre in Kapiti somewhere. Something that would reduce the volume of traffic going into and out of town at rush hour, as well as making use of the all but empty norf bound lanes in morning for those who go to work in Kapiti.

I wee'd reading that last part and I don't mind saying so. Who told you that load of piffle? Pillow talk with JK was it? or was he greasing you up at the time? Women do shopping during the day, not first thing in the morning, which leaves them almost 8 hours of P&Q from the thundering traffic in which to enjoy their community and look at houses they can afford.

BMWST?
9th February 2013, 17:02

Thats Grays road and Haywards thanks

FJRider
9th February 2013, 17:06
Thats Grays road and Haywards thanks

It was fun on a '79 GS1000E ... :laugh:

BMWST?
9th February 2013, 17:07
It was fun on a '79 GS1000E ... :laugh:

more fun on a cb900 fz

caspernz
9th February 2013, 18:08
more fun on a cb900 fz

Not a lot of fun on a Suzuki GT750...blimmin two-stroke waterbus...but then that was about mumble mumble years ago haha :innocent:

carbonhed
9th February 2013, 18:50
Women do shopping during the day, not first thing in the morning, which leaves them almost 8 hours of P&Q from the thundering traffic in which to enjoy their community and look at houses they can afford.

In this bucolic vision you've got of the womenfolk getting on with the shopping are they on horseback? Because I'm having trouble figuring out which fkin century you're inhabiting. Do you imagine when you're in your office cubicle with your head firmly planted up your arsehole that the rest of the world goes quiet and all traffic ceases?

I can't wait for the Sandhills Motorway to be built. Every community that has the longhaul traffic diverted away from their centre will be better off for it.

Business Centres on the Kapiti Coast? You're at least 15 years late (why does this not suprise me).

What you should be concentrating your efforts on is making "pub bore" an Olympic sport. I'm thinking something along the lines of darts crossed with Monty Python. Lots of useless fat fucks shouting and free beer for everyone. You'd be a contender... not a winner naturally but definitely a contender.

FJRider
9th February 2013, 19:19
Not a lot of fun on a Suzuki GT750...blimmin two-stroke waterbus...but then that was about mumble mumble years ago haha :innocent:

I found it fun on an RZ350 ... which was during a loop that included the Paikakariki hill.

mashman
9th February 2013, 19:25
In this bucolic vision you've got of the womenfolk getting on with the shopping are they on horseback? Because I'm having trouble figuring out which fkin century you're inhabiting. Do you imagine when you're in your office cubicle with your head firmly planted up your arsehole that the rest of the world goes quiet and all traffic ceases?

I can't wait for the Sandhills Motorway to be built. Every community that has the longhaul traffic diverted away from their centre will be better off for it.

Business Centres on the Kapiti Coast? You're at least 15 years late (why does this not suprise me).

What you should be concentrating your efforts on is making "pub bore" an Olympic sport. I'm thinking something along the lines of darts crossed with Monty Python. Lots of useless fat fucks shouting and free beer for everyone. You'd be a contender... not a winner naturally but definitely a contender.

They are and they're riding side saddle performing Sharon Stone manoevers to attract mating candidates. Of course the traffic ceases. They womenfolk are all on horseback and vehicles scare horses :weird:

Is longhaul traffic a problem is it? Taking up all of that room on all of those roads that they use? Why did people build the centre of towns around the main road? T'would seem a bit stupid given the future volumes of traffic that would be passing through. Doh, sorry, WTF does common sense have to do with anything and you can always build more roads and then line them with business parks, shops etc... ironically creating the exact same problem for the future that the current proposal is trying to avoid. NZ isn't the only place on the world that has gone down this route ya know. Now don't freak out, but there are several hundred nations outside of NZ. I know, I knowm who would have thought, but I've seen them with my own eyes... oddly enough they're wasting fuckloads of cash on roading for no reason other than that's all they can think of as solutions to.

15 years too late? I haven't noticed a 10,000 people business centre, where is it?

Winning is overrated... and I've done the pub bore and I was relatively good at it, certainly not olympic standard... and whilst it was fun, those days are gone and I'm sliding into an old age that's suddenly dotted itself with epic fucktards, wizards and rainbow ponies. I'm guessing you're not a rainbow pony.

Shadows
10th February 2013, 10:00
Mebee... although given that it's going to be 2 lanes of traffic filtering into 1 lane of traffic from 2 directions, I can't see anyone norf of Linden getting a better run in. I equate it to heading into Pukerua at the end of the day where 2 lanes go into 1 and the traffic almost backs up to the Plimmerton roundabout. That will be happening as the traffic from the norf filters down into a single lane causing a bottleneck on the new road as well as causing a bottleneck on SH1 at the same time with the constant new traffic coming in from the left. I've yet to see that sort of junction work in the ways you highlight.

Edit: There's also the consideration of tolling having an affect on who will use the road... if they go ahead with tolls that is.

You're forgetting about the fuckload of people who live, work, shop and go to school in between those two points. They won't be merging anywhere. Also the new road won't be "bottlenecked" by 50k zones and the plethora of cuntwits on the road who are afraid to turn their steering wheels more than 5° at speeds in excess of 75k, as the road will be pretty much straight and multi laned. The road is long overdue and will work well. It is also a relief to finally see some of the roading fund to which I contribute a disproportionate amount being used where it will benefit my local area instead of yet another road I will never have the displeasure of using in Auckland.

FJRider
10th February 2013, 10:29
Is longhaul traffic a problem is it? Taking up all of that room on all of those roads that they use? Why did people build the centre of towns around the main road? T'would seem a bit stupid given the future volumes of traffic that would be passing through. Doh, sorry, WTF does common sense have to do with anything and you can always build more roads and then line them with business parks, shops etc... ironically creating the exact same problem for the future that the current proposal is trying to avoid. NZ isn't the only place on the world that has gone down this route ya know.

Longhaul traffic (especially the trucks) are not liked in main road/streets ... as they don't stop often to contribute to the towns economy. Put an alternative route for trucks (easier but not faster) away from the main streets is the usual first choice (if at all possible) but car traffic they DO want ... for the possibility they MIGHT stop for impulse buying of some type (Gas or food etc)

Towns and cities that have built roads that bypasses past their main centers .... have ALWAYS seen a big decline in sales (and property/business values) in those centers afterwards. The respective business associations in these towns that have "traffic issues" have long argued for retaining main road status for this reason. Regardless of local population dislike of the problem.
Whatever area any KB'r lives in or near ... they will know of such an area/town this has happened.

However ... those that build (or buy) next to/near a main road (or airport) shouldn't whinge about "issues" in later years ... especially if it's in relation to their property values.
But they do anyway ...

mashman
10th February 2013, 11:30
You're forgetting about the fuckload of people who live, work, shop and go to school in between those two points. They won't be merging anywhere. Also the new road won't be "bottlenecked" by 50k zones and the plethora of cuntwits on the road who are afraid to turn their steering wheels more than 5° at speeds in excess of 75k, as the road will be pretty much straight and multi laned. The road is long overdue and will work well. It is also a relief to finally see some of the roading fund to which I contribute a disproportionate amount being used where it will benefit my local area instead of yet another road I will never have the displeasure of using in Auckland.

How am I forgetting about people of live, school, work, shop etc...? I included them in the rush hour traffic as mentioned in my original response to the OP. As mentioned earlier, there's a 100k that goes down to a 50k at Pukerua and it bottlenecks with regular monotony innit. :rofl:@cuntwits, there's nowhere for them to move to (which is probably just as well)... but they're still stuck in the traffic going into Welly at about 30-40k during rush hour, so the 50k limit doesn't really matter does it? It's the speed of the traffic that counts. Which is part of my "reasoning". They can clatter down the new road at 100k, but they aren't going to filter on to SH1 at that same speed. They're going to slam into 40k (if that) traffic if they do and currently both lanes are doing that speed. So essentially you have a new Pukerua at Linden trying to filter into an already chocked SH1. If the volume is consistent, I don't see it making any real difference at best and see it making more problems when conditions are bad. So I'm gonna have to disagree that the road is gonna be value for money when there are other (better in my eyes) solutions available.

Edit: Once rush hour has gone the roads are all but empty anyway, by comparison that is... there certainly aren't the same bottlenecks are there?

mashman
10th February 2013, 11:31
Longhaul traffic (especially the trucks) are not liked in main road/streets ... as the don't stop often to contribute to the towns economy. Put an alternative route for trucks (easier but not faster) away from the main streets is the usual first choice (if at all possible) but car traffic they DO want ... for the possibility they MIGHT stop for impulse buying of some type (Gas or food etc)

Towns and cities that have built roads that bypasses past their main centers .... have ALWAYS seen a big decline in sales (and property/business values) in those centers afterwards. The respective business associations in these towns that have "traffic issues" have long argued for retaining main road status for this reason. Regardless of local population dislike of the problem.
Whatever area any KB'r lives in or near ... they will know of such an area/town this has happened.

However ... those that build (or buy) next to/near a main road (or airport) shouldn't whinge about "issues" in later years ... especially if it's in relation to their property values.
But they do anyway ...

You take that back now, say it ain't so.

carbonhed
10th February 2013, 14:00
Edit: Once rush hour has gone the roads are all but empty anyway, by comparison that is... there certainly aren't the same bottlenecks are there?

It's gratifying to see that the depth of your research amounts to putting the worst spin possible on how it might affect you personally and then screw everybody else. As to the bypassed towns losing business... Johnsonville, Tawa and Porirua always seem like hives of activity to me but maybe when I'm not there they cease to exist... to borrow your approach.

FJRider
10th February 2013, 14:09
It's gratifying to see that the depth of your research amounts to putting the worst spin possible on how it might affect you personally and then screw everybody else. As to the bypassed towns losing business... Johnsonville, Tawa and Porirua always seem like hives of activity to me but maybe when I'm not there they cease to exist... to borrow your approach.

Manure heaps are also a hive of activity if you look closely. But most sensible people prefer to keep their distance from them ... for obvious reasons ... :shutup:

speeding_ant
10th February 2013, 14:42
Nice diversion from the main topic, but it's related enough to keep it entertaining.

I think we'll inspect any plans before considering houses in certain areas. Staying away from the main road is a good tip.

mashman
10th February 2013, 14:51

I know. Riding around and seeing for oneself is no substitute for a furtive imagination it would seem. Actually the ceasing to exist was your ASSumption, but hey, why waste some good spin.

mashman
10th February 2013, 14:54
Nice diversion from the main topic, but it's related enough to keep it entertaining.

I think we'll inspect any plans before considering houses in certain areas. Staying away from the main road is a good tip.

Pretty tricky when you need to use it for going to work :eek:

speeding_ant
10th February 2013, 14:56

That's what streets are for :innocent:

FJRider
10th February 2013, 15:12

Real bikers take the back roads ... <_<

speeding_ant
10th February 2013, 15:15
:laugh:

Plenty around that area of Wellington!

mashman
10th February 2013, 15:52
That's what streets are for :innocent:

I don't like getting lost.

Real bikers take the back roads ... <_<

Oooo oooo I want to be a real biker too... praps I'll get used to getting lost.

speeding_ant
10th February 2013, 17:49
I don't like getting lost.

Oooo oooo I want to be a real biker too... praps I'll get used to getting lost.

That's more like it. Get that sense of adventure in ya.

radman
18th January 2014, 23:16
I commute from Paraparaumu Beach to Wellington City 6 days a week...I work shift work so my timings are different to most normal people, but the longest it's taken me is 50min to get to work in the morning when i had to start at 8am...and getting home who cares at least you're on the way home from work not to it....Paikakariki Hill Rd is always fun too. I actually find the traffic coming back into Wellington at the end of the weekend, especially long weekends, more of a problem than the every day rush hour. Kapiti Road can be a bit of pain in the ass as well sometimes.

As for main roads that bypass towns - I used to live in Taupo before the eastern arterial was completed, everyone was raving about it, then it opened and then they realised that maybe all that traffic bypassing the town wasn't such a good thing. It won't kill the town and business community, they will just have to rethink their marketing and business strategy to adapt to the changes. Personally I'm looking forward to the new expressway and transmission gully projects, it's going to bring in more jobs and people to the local and wider Wellington economy and isn't (in my opinion anyway) going to adversely affect local businesses and the roads aren't completely bypassing the towns....I don't know for sure but i imagine a good portion of business is sustained through local custom.

Thats my 2 cents worth....good night :)

roogazza
19th January 2014, 06:44
I notice a year has passed. Jeeesus ,where did that go ?
My last job ended in 2005. Kapiti to Wgton was a pain in the arse but has already changed quite a bit with McKays crossing gone etc.
I did shift work so it wasn't so bad to the middle of town but still allowed 50 mins.
I moved to Kapiti in 04 so a year and a bit was all I did and retired (that cured the pain in the arse).

Now, Kapiti road is becoming a joke, you have to know when to travel it. Like not in the morning at 0830 !!!!
Except Sunday where a fine wheelie can be had at 7am.( When it's dead as a maggot.) :rolleyes:

Retire fellas, I recommend it ! :killingme

speeding_ant
23rd January 2014, 06:57
Ended up buying a house in Pukerua Bay, and haven't regretted the decision. Both of our respective bosses are fine with us turning up at 9:30, so traffic problems aren't an issue. If it's quiet, I can get home in 23 minutes - so pretty happy with that. I've found it to be the same as Karori or Miramar.

It's so damn peaceful out here :2thumbsup

roogazza
23rd January 2014, 07:06
Yeah bud , nice place to live up the coast.
8 yrs years have passed now and we're moving further Nth again, maybe Otaki.
You'll notice the weather changes as you drive home at night.
Dropping down as Kapiti comes into view after Pukerua Bay is quite noticable.