PDA

View Full Version : First timer

Snake Rogers
14th August 2005, 15:59
Hey all i'm looking at getting my bike license and buying a bike as gas prices are getting to high.
My questions are...
Do sit my learners license then buy the bike or can i buy a bike with my car license?
How much should i spend on my first bike (have only ever been on a bike as a passenger)

What courses in auckland should i take and where (i live in new lynn)

noob questions i know but i do have to start somewhere:)

Btw i have always wanted to own my own bike i guess i've just be lazy.

onearmedbandit
14th August 2005, 16:35
Welcome to the site Snake, I'm sure you'll find answers to everything you need to know here, and probably some answers you wish you didn't know. If you're planning on financing a bike you will need your license as finance companies usually require the vehicle to be insured, no license no legit insurance. Your car license will only allow you to ride a bike under 50cc (I think). Banks are different in that yu can get an unsecured personal loan and buy what you want, however if you drop it or get hit you may run the risk of paying for something you don't have. Ie, bike gets written off but you still have to pay for it.

I would suggest sitting your learners license and getting a very cheap bike to learn on. Baby steps are very important on bikes. Buy something too powerful and expensive and you'll just end up being intimadated by it, too scared to discover it properly. Without knowing your financial situation, I would suggest pending around $1000-1500 on your first bike. Please don't forget the costs of riding gear, the cost of ownership of a bike is not only the bike itself, but proper boots, gloves, jacket and pants, and of course a helmet. Buy the best gear you can afford, you will never regret it. Believe me, and almost everyone else on this site. Sneakers, jeans, and a ratty pair of holed gloves will do nothing for you if you do happen to drop it, which with you being a learner I'm afraid to say has a higher chance of happening.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know what's involved. This is a great lifestyle, one that you will hopefully enjoy for a long time. Keeping your feet firmly planted on the ground will only increase the chance of you being involved for much longer.

As far as courses up you way go, I'll let one of your locals answer that question. Best of luck, don't be scared to ask anything as most of us are here to help when we can.

WINJA
14th August 2005, 16:58
Hey all i'm looking at getting my bike license and buying a bike as gas prices are getting to high.
My questions are...
Do sit my learners license then buy the bike or can i buy a bike with my car license?
How much should i spend on my first bike (have only ever been on a bike as a passenger)

LOOK AT MY PROFILE PIC ,ITS A TR50 , IT CAN BE RIDDEN ON A CAR LICENCE,
WELCOME TO THE SITE AND STAY AWAY FROM ZED

Snake Rogers
14th August 2005, 17:21
Thanks for the welcome guys and the quick response :)

i will keep ya updated on my progress :D

Wolf
15th August 2005, 16:02
Welcome, Snake.

As onearmedbandit said: get the right gear. You may have no intention of coming a cropper but you never know what the other bastards on the road have planned for the day. Then there's good, old-fashioned inexperience coupled with dicey conditions - wet road, car cutting you off suddenly (which you might have avoided with a bit more experience).

You'll learn a lot - how to be more aware of your surroundings than the average person in a cage, how to multitask to the point you'll be braking before you even consciously realise you were at risk, etc, etc. It can be a rally enjoyable time. Don't go mad - like spend vast amounts of money or buy a suped-up rocket - get yourself something that will teach you to ride without killing you or terrifying all the fun out of you and that will go the distance - suffice from Learner's Licence all the way through your Restricted.

There are lots of threads here on preferred/recommended learners bikes and what people think is the best gear. In the end you make up your own mind.

The important things are to make sure you have what you need and they are within your budget - an uninsured bike is probably outside everyone's budget as it sucks to be off the road trying to afford repairs because some bugger downed your bike in the New World carpark.

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 16:06
Welcome to KiwiBiker Snake Rogers

Snake Rogers
15th August 2005, 19:06
Well i just enroled in a defense riding course today for the 27th of this month so i can then sit my learners license.

I will try not to bore you guys with my progress :)

SARGE
15th August 2005, 23:29

you can buy the bike without a license if you are doing ca$h, but if you need HP, you will need to sit the tests. Suzuki GN250's are great bikes to learn / commute on , and you can usually find great prices on them ( even new at $2995 + orc)

i use Doug Swanson for all my new riders.. his # is 09 416-5096

Ixion
15th August 2005, 23:44
Just remember. See that person in the car, there . ANY person, ANY car. he or she WANTS TO KILL YOU. Truly. Remember that and you won't go too far wrong.

You're not paranoid. The bastiges ARE out to get you

Pixie
16th August 2005, 00:13
Just remember. See that person in the car, there . ANY person, ANY car. he or she WANTS TO KILL YOU. Truly. Remember that and you won't go too far wrong.

You're not paranoid. The bastiges ARE out to get you
Barstiges!! now I'm really confused.
Just yesterday I was wondering why you can have Prestige,but never hear of Postige and now you come out with barstige!! You barstige :confused: :crybaby:

Ninja
16th August 2005, 02:24
Check out www.RiderSkills.co.nz - Just up the road from you at Rosebank road.

Best of luck for years of happy riding!

InDeSkyz
16th August 2005, 14:05
Maybe we could have a sticky thread for all the new riders needing to know how to go about getting their licence etc.

Eurygnomes
16th August 2005, 15:17
I like the idea IndeSkyz. (in the skies? in disguise?? Masked but high??!)

I know I asked some fairly similar questions back when I was starting.

Snake: I purchased my bike (GN250) and had to put up with staring at it for a week until I got my lisence. But what I did was do the 'learn to ride' course (seriously, I had no idea where the indicators were or ANYTHING! Clutch you say? There are gears? *blonde*) and then ended that with the Basic Skills Cert. I sat on a GN125 I think (WHAT? The others get a 150 and I get a 125!??! What're you telling me?). After that, I popped down the local library, read the road code a bit - practised the questions so I could figure out what my weak points were, and then went to the AA. ALl in one day.

THEN, and ONLY then, did I get astride my bike. And rode her 20kms. :woohoo:

Good luck dude. And happy :ride:ing.

SARGE
16th August 2005, 15:58
My questions are...

hey Snake.. pop by Colemans Suzuki when you can and i will give you a booklet on getting your bike ticket ( book produced by MTA.. great read.. lotta info)

that goes for anyone wanting to get their tag

sels1
16th August 2005, 16:06
welcome aboard the site Snake, good luck with gettin a bike

Snake Rogers
16th August 2005, 17:19
Thanks again for all the advice.
I won't be getting a bike until i get my learners and take the second car to the auctions (at least my wife is happy as she will then get to drive the subaru) :)

starting to get all excited :ride:

MSTRS
16th August 2005, 18:09
Thanks again for all the advice.
I won't be getting a bike until i get my learners and take the second car to the auctions (at least my wife is happy as she will then get to drive the subaru) :)

starting to get all excited :ride:
Welcome to the novitiate section of KB. Full membership upon purchase of your machine. THEN the excitement really starts. (pass the tissues, someone)

hondacmx450
19th August 2005, 13:21
will c you on the road soon then ride safe

Snake Rogers
30th August 2005, 18:25
Well I did my defensive training course on Saturday so I’m off this Saturday to get to get my learners’ license.
Unfortunately my wife does not want me to sell the car. So need to save a bit more cash (should be sweet in a month)

I do recommend to any newbie like myself to use J.P Wright’s motorcycle school.
I found him really informative and patient.

Btw. I don’t want to buy a Suzuki n250 as I don’t think they are my style…lol

will keep you all posted on my progress :ride:

Turbo Bong
30th August 2005, 21:23
[QUOTE=SARGE]you can buy the bike without a license if you are doing ca$h!

Hey dude, Sarge.
Just out of curiosity, can you ride the bike from a dealers without a licence after buying it. In cash of course. I Know your not suuppposse too ride without a licence.
I already know the bike code but still need to do my B.H.T.

Nah probably not aye?

Snake Rogers
11th September 2005, 13:59
Got my learners today:D

Should have myself a new toy soon:D

Sniper
11th September 2005, 14:00
Congrats duddy! :niceone: So what bike are you going to get :)

zeRax
11th September 2005, 15:12
why not turbo bong, its ur bike, u can do what you like!

grats on the licence sr

Snake Rogers
17th September 2005, 18:51
And here i am waiting till tuesday to pick up my first bike...
93 ZZR250

And once again thanks for the help.

Now any other advice would be welcome:)

Gremlin
17th September 2005, 19:07
hey congrats, nice to see another ZZR250. Is it mint?? JSG and I both ride 'em except ours are both umm... well they have seen better days.

But you can ask us anything about them and we'll do our best to answer.

Have you got all the gear??

parsley
17th September 2005, 19:22
hey congrats, nice to see another ZZR250. Is it mint?
Wow, I didn't realise they come in flavours.

Snake Rogers
17th September 2005, 19:22
Will be getting my gear on tuesday when i pay for my bike:)

Couple if questions...

How much should i spend on Gloves?

What sort of maintenance do I need to do on my bike?

I will ask somemore questions once i have my bike:D

Snake Rogers
17th September 2005, 19:24
hey congrats, nice to see another ZZR250. Is it mint?? JSG and I both ride 'em except ours are both umm... well they have seen better days.

Not that bad:)

Gremlin
17th September 2005, 19:36
Wow, I didn't realise they come in flavours.
:finger: :bleh:

May I help you understand my position by posting a pic?? This was after my first bin... but in my defence I bought it damaged.

parsley
17th September 2005, 19:51
:finger: :bleh:

May I help you understand my position by posting a pic?? This was after my first bin... but in my defence I bought it damaged.
Oh yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to lick that.

Gremlin
17th September 2005, 20:03
Oh yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to lick that.
:killingme

Gloves, depends on where you buy and what features you want. Store prices are usually $90-$100. Features like knuckle protection, waterproof, finger protection, palm protection etc. are up to you as to what you want.

Maintenance, many good threads, things like lubing chain, checking oil, even things like tyre pressures, Pyro made the Maintenance Mega Thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11119). Probably a good place to start.

parsley
18th September 2005, 22:00
Up to you, but remember that the gloves you buy in the summer have to last you in the winter as well.

Get yourself along to the next KB Spanner night. Bloody good value (well, it's free) and it could end up saving your life.

Snake Rogers
22nd September 2005, 21:03
Got me gear, boots, helmet, gloves & jacket :)

Just waiting till saturday, then it's out about the block a few hundred times :D

have only gone up and down my driveway so far as the roads have been wet...lol :beer:

Snake Rogers
27th September 2005, 22:26
Well started riding to work today, Still abit dodgy with gear changes tho.
Had a mate come around in the weekend and help me out which was awesome. He made me go straight into to traffic and a couple of round abouts that i was hoping to do some othertime...lol
Just been taking it real easy (practice, practice)

When doing 50k are you guys or girls in 3rd or 4th gear?

And how many of you use the rear brakes. I know i was told to use both but my mate reckons leave it alone, that i should only use it in a urgent situation?

Gremlin
27th September 2005, 23:05
Bit of argument over the use of the back brake, but I use it all the time, sometimes I don't use the front because I'm only scrubbing off 5k.

In the wet, apply the back first, it makes the bike sit on the suspension, instead of loading the front, which is not good in the wet.

If you don't use it, then you will get used to not using it, and come an emergency and you want to use it, then you won't because you will not be used to using it.

That said, the front does 75% of the work, and that percentage only increases as you brake harder.

edit: gear and speed: just use whatever gear you want, depending on what you are doing. When pootling in traffic, my revs are about 5-6k, so whatever gear makes those revs... if I need lots of power (well, whatever it has) then I'll drop gears until I have what I want (anywhere up to 12k)

Ixion
27th September 2005, 23:18
Pretty much as Mr Gremlin m'self. always use the back brake, on its own if I'm just trimming speed, bring in the front if I need to some muscle. Having said that I don't use brakes much at all.

Revs, different bike, so not really applicable, but on Li'l Ratty (same cc), if I'm just doddering along with the traffic , I'll change up to 6th about 45kph. No point wringing the nuts off the engine if you're just going with the traffic flow, 6th is fine to keep up with the Corollas. 50kph is just under 3000rpm, which is start of the first power band. If I'm hurrying I keep it over 7000 , when the second jump on the powerband begins. Thats 2nd or 3rd for 50kph