PDA

View Full Version : WOF and modified bikes

merka685
8th February 2013, 09:29
I have been plugging away modifying my RF400 and I think I'm nearly at the stage that I think it'll get a warrant (fingers crossed). Anyone have some advice or experience on what I might get pinged on?

imdying
8th February 2013, 10:17
Doesn't look like you've made any radical changes so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Make it easy for them, make sure all the lights and the horn work. Easiest thing to do is get a WOF sheet and do your own. If you can tick all the boxes, they probably can too :)

bogan
8th February 2013, 10:36
Yeh, just make sure it looks tidy as, and you'll likely save yourself a bit of hassle. The catch tank and the loose red hose on the front guard strike me as things they might not like. Whether their dislike is justified or not is less relevant than the fact it'll make them go over the rest a lot more closely, and sometimes you don't want that :shutup:

BuzzardNZ
8th February 2013, 10:41
Check the headlight is aiming at the correct angle. Mine almost failed due to that.

toebug
10th February 2013, 20:26
looks like the mods are mostly cosmetic so you will most likely not have too much of an issue.

FJRider
10th February 2013, 20:36
Looks like a WoF wont be an issue ... but it's no longer a LAM's class bike though. A full licensed rider will have no issues ...

avgas
10th February 2013, 21:47
Looks nice man. Best of luck

merka685
12th February 2013, 08:43
Yeh, just make sure it looks tidy as, and you'll likely save yourself a bit of hassle. The catch tank and the loose red hose on the front guard strike me as things they might not like. Whether their dislike is justified or not is less relevant than the fact it'll make them go over the rest a lot more closely, and sometimes you don't want that :shutup:

Thanks, Red hose is bike lock

merka685
12th February 2013, 08:46
Looks like a WoF wont be an issue ... but it's no longer a LAM's class bike though. A full licensed rider will have no issues ...

Just had a look at the LAMS list, RF 400 is still on there (Suzuki RF400 )

merka685
12th February 2013, 08:49

Ah, on closer inspection I see what you mean:
The following list of motorcycles with engine capacities between 251cc and 660cc - these motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio.

oh well, I'd rather risk the fine for riding a bigger bike on a restricted than the fine of riding a bike with no WOF, REGO and bigger bike on a restricted

nzmikey
12th February 2013, 13:48
Ah, on closer inspection I see what you mean:
The following list of motorcycles with engine capacities between 251cc and 660cc - these motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio.

oh well, I'd rather risk the fine for riding a bigger bike on a restricted than the fine of riding a bike with no WOF, REGO and bigger bike on a restricted

They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio.
Yeah I cant see what you have done has increased the power to weight ratio of the bike .. since it is plastic n all.
The only other significant mod that I guess anyone would have a bitch about is that you have gone from clipons to more upright bars

FJRider
12th February 2013, 17:54
They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio.
Yeah I cant see what you have done has increased the power to weight ratio of the bike .. since it is plastic n all.
The only other significant mod that I guess anyone would have a bitch about is that you have gone from clipons to more upright bars

Actually ... Passing a WoF should present no problems. LAM's conditions have no affect on any WoF requirements. Short of asking for your license ... the tester wont know (or probably care) what class's you have.

Getting stopped by Plod might get a few questions ... as to riders license conditions .... The modifications seem well enough done, to be able to get claimed as an imported version .... not common in NZ.

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 18:16
Actually ... Passing a WoF should present no problems. LAM's conditions have no affect on any WoF requirements. Short of asking for your license ... the tester wont know (or probably care) what class's you have.

Getting stopped by Plod might get a few questions ... as to riders license conditions .... The modifications seem well enough done, to be able to get claimed as an imported version .... not common in NZ.

I've got WoFs on bikes way, way over the learner limit on a learner licence, licence has no effect on WoF :Punk:

FJRider
12th February 2013, 18:25
I've got WoFs on bikes way, way over the learner limit on a learner licence, licence has no effect on WoF :Punk:

Yep ... they're testing the bike. NOT you ... <_<

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 18:47
Yep ... they're testing the bike. NOT you ... <_<

:laugh: Thank fuck

FJRider
12th February 2013, 18:57
:laugh: Thank fuck

I thank after a fuck too ... I'm that kind'a guy ... (mum always said be polite)