PDA

View Full Version : GSXR1000k4/CBR1000 repsol

FROSTY
14th August 2005, 16:46
I was lucky enough to get to ride a suzuki gsxr1000 k4back to back with a Honda cbr1000 repsol replica. I got a 20 minute track session on both of them at Pukekohe park raceway.
To paint a quick picture --Lovely day ,dry track, with a bit of debris on a couple of the corners. Ive been testing my SV650 race bike but got offered a ride on the two bikes.
My first impression of them both side by side was --Suzuki Mmm yumee
Honda--Holey shit that is one sexy looking bit of kit.
Easing the Suzuki onto the track I felt a little trepidation-I was someone elses 15k machine . Straight into the first set of corners and I found myself trying too hard Leaning deeper than I needed to. I expected the bike to be like the last superbike I rode round Pukekohe-a 91 Gsxr1100 quite a handfull at really high speed.I was sooo wrong. After just one lap I felt Totally at home and relaxed.
I spent the next 19 or so minutes haveing a total ball easing up to a reasonable fast touring type pace.Top speed I saw was 280 -Im not too sure how much it had left to go.I was actually disapointed-not with the speed more with the sense of speed You just have no idea you are going so darned fast.A compliment to suzukis smooth power delivery.
Handling --OMG handling. I just could not believe how good the suzuki felt.
Pukekohe is not a track I usually get my knee down on but on the suzuki I was comfortably leaning it to knee on the ground.The lean angle is strictly defined by how far you are prepared to go.The brakes were totally no nonsense and apsolutely confidence inspireing.
Every lap I was able to brake a little later and throw the bike around with a bit more confidence.
I was able to slice my way up and down through the gearbox without even thinking about it -really slick and smooth.
I came back into the pits with a huge grin on my face wanting nothing more than to get back out there for some more laps.
Next session was on the honda and after the suzuki I was dead keen to get out there.
Immmediately it became clear the honda is more sharp edged with less fairing protection , a slightly harsher feeling engine and sharper brakes.
Apsolutely razor sharp handling and the slight engine harshness gave a sense of speed and accceleration the suzuki diddnt give.
The brakes were in a world of their own -totally fade free and plenty of feel.
The smaller fairing was really noticeable down the back straight with a bit more helmet buffetting even in a full race crouch.
I had a hairy moment exiting the hairpin as I wound on full power -a reasonable head shake showed me I need to be on top of my game to ride this bike fast.
the gear box doesnt rate a mention-smooth and slick as you would expect.
I finished the session feeling like I'd worked harder than on the suzuki but with the feeling It would just get better and better as I improved my riding.
To sum the two bikes up. If they could talk it'd be like this
The suzuki felt like an old freind who happens to be a super fit athlete.
The suzuk would say -- You wanna go for a ride mate?--lets go I'm here for ya -as fast as you wanna go lets just go for it.
The Honda is a wise oriental sensei --also super fit
"Frosty san first you will learn to respect me --then I will teach you to go faster than you have ever been before"
Given the choice bettween the two bikes I must say with my level of riding skill and age I would choose the suzuki -I just don't think at this point I'm good enough to master the honda.

I must thank the owners of these two bikes for trusting me with their steeds.
Sixpackback and JD03

onearmedbandit
14th August 2005, 17:20
Interesting read Frosty, a little different from what I expected. Having not ridden either bike before (hard enough finding someone to loan you their $20,000 sportsbike, let alone consider swapping the clutch to the right clip-on!!) I can only go on what I've read, which would have led me to a different conclusion. Sounds like a great day Frosty.

(BTW, I would never actively seek to ride someone elses bike, maybe if offered I would, but even then I'm not sure I would. Hate to dump someones bike.)

FROSTY
14th August 2005, 17:47
Interesting read Frosty, a little different from what I expected. Having not ridden either bike before (hard enough finding someone to loan you their $20,000 sportsbike, let alone consider swapping the clutch to the right clip-on!!) I can only go on what I've read, which would have led me to a different conclusion. Sounds like a great day Frosty.

(BTW, I would never actively seek to ride someone elses bike, maybe if offered I would, but even then I'm not sure I would. Hate to dump someones bike.)
Quite honestly mate I diddn't expect to like the sazuk as much as I did.
I must say in all honesty I was probably riding both bikes at total max probably 3/4 normal race pace for me and 2/3 of both bikes potential--and that was on my best lap.
Always in the back of my mind was the thought that these are borrowed bikes.

SixPackBack
14th August 2005, 17:51
Glad you liked it FROSTY, it was with a degree of trepidation on my part swapping bikes.......was more concerned i would crash 911, than you would bin the Gixxer. I fully intended letting WT take it for a spin as well, if the TL had'nt stopped in the first two session's, i would have.

inlinefour
14th August 2005, 17:52
I recently took a GSXR 750cc bike for a ride, actually forgot that it was a sooooooki and found myself wanting one. Took the 636 ZXR for a ride, and I'd be more than happy to own one of those, what a ride. However every time I see the 600ss Fireblade I remember that this is the bike that I reallty want. Why? I'm stuffed if I know... :whocares:

Sensei
14th August 2005, 18:08
Humm nice to see you to have had a blast on both GSXR & CBR Frosty . Tryed my mates new Blade & noticed the lack of bottom end . Will no bottom end til 5000rpm then it took off . Plus the steering felt abit positive when pushed into a downhill corner , where my GSXR was totaly neutral . . We did a 6th gear full open from 120k & the CBR went back 1 bike length over the first 400m then another 1/2 a bike over 2k's . The Honda was to small for my body but excellent for some one under 6ft . Sound like ya had a kool day Frosty . :Punk:

White trash
14th August 2005, 19:06
I fully intended letting WT take it for a spin as well, if the TL had'nt stopped in the first two session's, i would have.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Beanman, you're a trusting soul, but I already know what they go like. No one has to convince me. Appreciate the thought massively though.

Frosty: Great write up man. It's cool to have a totaly back to back ride impression of two totaly different machines. Interestingly for me, everyone else I've spoken to or read of, puts the Honda as the easier to ride with the Sazook having more outright potential as a track weapon. Maybe because of your race experiance and track knowledge, you bend the other way.

FROSTY
14th August 2005, 20:43
I was suprised just how much I like the gixxer.
but I do god help me I do Now
I WANT ONE

Sparky Bills
15th August 2005, 08:54
Nice right up.
Maybe at the KR trackday you could ride the R1...

OMG!!! Did I just say that??? :oi-grr:
sounds like a good day though.

FROSTY
16th August 2005, 11:13
Yessum pleasum mem saam :devil2:

Two Smoker
16th August 2005, 18:08
Yessum pleasum mem saam :devil2:

nah your wasting your time Tony... its a nice bike, but doesnt even compare to the gixxer 1000...

FROSTY
16th August 2005, 20:44
well Ill just have to see for myself young smoker -

SPman
18th August 2005, 23:16
I was suprised just how much I like the gixxer.
but I do god help me I do Now
I WANT ONE

No - you're not havin mine. After a shaky start Im starting to really like it!