PDA

View Full Version : Buckets Winter series Rd 4 writeup

Kickaha
14th August 2005, 19:56
Buckets Ruapuna Rd 4

Saturday arvo and I’m putting the finishing touches to my 125 motor as after the problems I’ve had trying to sort out the big block 140cc engine I decided I go back to the 125cc small block until I can sort the 140cc properly instead of the ½ arsed way I have done it until now

I pour the new oil into it, slap the tank on and give it a push and it fires up immediately, it’s sounding a bit rattly so I warm it up a bit and then do the tappets which quiets it down a little bit, it seems to hesitate a bit when I give it some gas but I can’t be bothered taking it out somewhere and giving it a decent run so I decide that’ll do for the day and if it’s not right tomorrow that’s just tough luck for me so I wander back inside and pack up my gear and sort out my toolkit

I go online and start chatting to Bren_chch who’s already making excuses for not racing,K14 is all set for another hammering and Dangerous is to busy with his new woman telling him what to do to be even able to work out what day it is, TonyB pops up as well and we talk about jetting for his GP125 and I explain that myself and most of the others are betting on him nuking it during the day

Despite the doom and gloom forecasts from the avid weather watchers it wasn’t looking to bad when I dragged myself out of bed of Sunday morning, so I toss the gear in the ute, load the bike up and as I’m doing that it starts to turn a bit colder and a few light showers blow across, ah well maybe it’ll be a wet race day after all, I head off to Dangerous place to see if his woman will allow him to come out and play, I get there and he’s already left so I head out to the track arriving about 10seconds behind him

A good KB Bucketeer field with TonyB/GP125,Bren_chch/CB125T, Dangerous CB125T, Kickaha/GN125, K14/CB125T, Stanko/RS50, Diesel Pig/CB125T making up just under half the grid with 16 bikes in total

TonyB is busy changing the jets in his bike and after putting it back together it’s pissing fuel everywhere, a few taps with a screwdriver because every thinks it’s a stuck float and it’s still pissing everywhere and he starts to pull it apart about this time Stanko notices the needle valve lying on the ground beside the bike having fallen off the float when TonyB had it apart, just more evidence of his mechanical incompetence to go along with thinking a 125cc piston would fit through a 100cc head gasket sized hole, what was that funny noise again TonyB? :rofl:

Practice

For the first time in a while my bike is running sweet I blow past a few of the slower guys and I thinking it’s going to be a good day when about lap three it starts making a funny noise and slows I pull off the track, Leigh arrives after the chequered flag comes out and tows me back to the pits, I’m guessing a dropped valve, which proves to be correct as I pull the head and find it’s a bit farrrkkkkkeeeed :oi-grr: and is a bit of a bugger as I have two brand new valves sitting in my ute that Tony B had bought out that day ready to go into it
I shoot across and grab Russell’s spare GP100 for the first race

Race 1
With only the warm up lap for practice I’m not feeling incredibly confident and as the flag drops and ¾ the field pass me before the turn 1 I get a couple back and get in front of Dangerous but not for very long as he pulls pass and engages in a race long battle swapping place but with K14 taking him on the last lap, in the meantime they’re pulling away from me on each lap but thankfully I’m staying in front of Bren and Stanko,Phil Clausen decides he’s a bit tired and has a lie down at the hairpin after low siding the club slut, about lap 4 the GP100 I’m riding decides it’s had enough and calls it quits so that’s two bikes I’ve fucked for the day, after winning the race Darryl Cotton stops off to tow me back to the pits and I decide to call it quits for the day and watch the others

Race 2
K14 and Dangerous get out quick and up on row one with TonyB and Stanko on row 2, lap 1 and Diesel Pigs running second and closing Tony Mac down with K14 running 6th and Dangerous in 7th, Dangerous and K14 get into a three way battle with Dylan on the Mb100 “Hotdog” and Bren and Stanko way down the back another lap and Dangerous,K14 and Dylan are still hard at it, Dangerous is running 7th with K14 right behind him, Stanko has managed to pass Bren_chch and when you consider Bren is on a 125cc and Stanko is on a 50cc whats that tell you about Bren_chch riding ability? K14 gets dropped off the back and as they hit the flag Diesel Pig gets a 2nd only to have his bike die on the slowdown lap Dangerous gets the better of K14 with a 6th and K14 comes in 7th and I’m sure TonyB was in there somewhere as he was showing a good turn of speed

Race 3
Despite already killing two bikes for the day Darryl Cotton gives me his RS/MB100 for the last non points race, I get out and on the front row and promptly bog the bike down and loose a heap of places off the start, I’m lucky as it’s a fast bike with good handling so I set off after the 8 or so bikes in front of me, I nail a few before the hairpin and get in amongst it another lap and I get by K14 and Dangerous and before I know it I’m up into third and then a second as I get past Mike and his GP100/RG400 hybrid I pull out past Tony Mac into the hairpin and then cock it up by changing gears the wrong way and he motors back past me, I get the power down early onto the start/finish straight and pass him before the kink and beat him into the hairpin and promptly bog the bike down again and loose the place again with two laps to go Mike sneaks back past to relegate me to third and we hit the hairpin just about nose to tail and I chase them through the s bends and as we get onto the start/finish I ride around the outside of Mike getting very close to the ripple strip as he goes out wider pull past him and close on Tony Mac but come second by about a bike length

With the racing over there’s the usual bullshit sessions going on and a couple of us head off to the Bar and BBQ, Dangerous was initially coming but soon gets the law laid down and has to head off home like a good little boy, all I all another great day out and despite rooting my motor I at least sorted out one other problem with it, but with Levels next weekend it’s looking doubtful I’ll have a bike to ride for that event :no:

dangerous
14th August 2005, 20:46
What an awesome day......... well after blowing the last motor to a quadzillion pieces, I managed to find a nother bike a later model for $130 so I transplanted it in to #68, now the thing is its a detuned version of what I had... but what the hell at least i was racing again, besides... Bren, k14 and Diesel Pig/Kick all striped the poor bloody thing before I had a chance to look at it myself.... what the hell I had the motor and they were more that welcome to the rest (pic#1)

So repowered it was running like a haunted shit house... but hey the dog of a thing had been sitting for a few years.
After the practice session it was getting better and hauling ass rather well (pic#2)

I had a ball out there today chasing k14 and dylan on a worked Mb100 just awesome shit... k14 did beat me in the last lap of race 1, but I soon got the hang of the bike and kicked his young balls back were the belong (try n fuk with a old dodgy bastard ya wee runt)

Pic #3 & 4 is TonyB's new rocket ship (still in a state of development) and Bren's 125T (which is beyond any kind of development) pic 5 is the mighty Italian water cooled Vee single 50cc of Stanko's

PS: did any of you guys see the hot chick out in the paddock taking the photos?

Kickaha
14th August 2005, 21:01
PS: did any of you guys see the hot chick out in the paddock taking the photos?

No but I saw Rashika, where was the hot chick? :rofl:

k14
14th August 2005, 21:02
She was the one from sportzphotoz, up by the hairpin. :spudflip:

Rashika
14th August 2005, 21:06
well what an awesome day!!
After convincing the old man that it REALLY wasn't snow out side and that YES it would get better, that day turned out perfect :)

we loaded up the most important piece of equipment....the camera of course...we left, unknowingly having Kick on our tail

So the end of the saga is that I have about 90 damn fine pics (if I do say so myself *cough*) of some f*** good riders in various states of :chase: along with those who didn't quite make even to the start of race 1....hmmm wonder who THAT was???

Tomorrow I will set 2 and post a few of them, hopefully I can remember who was doing what to who :woohoo:

Rashika
14th August 2005, 21:10
No but I saw Rashika, where was the hot chick? :rofl:

At least my reason to be walking across the paddock was for some cool photo shots, what was yours????????.... So how many suzukis did ya kill today? :devil2:

She was the one from sportzphotoz, up by the hairpin. :spudflip:

hmmm......... maybe more time spent focusing would help you see it was a BLOKE not a chick.
Was that why Dangerous was able to take you out so many times, cos you were looking for the spunky photographer? I never knew you were that way inclined K14 :whistle:

TonyB
14th August 2005, 21:11
A good write up as always K. Michelle reckons I got let off lightly. God knows how you keep track of everyone else when you're racing, all I know is what I've done...

I couldn't believe it when that bloody needle valve fell out- I had changed the main jet about 5 times at home with no problems, then when I had an unsympathetic audience the bloody float pivot pin just drops half way out and the float falls down. This being the first carb I have ever played with, I forgot that this would allow the needle valve to drop out :slap: Oh well, I'm sure Rashika will have some incriminating photo's of my incompetence.

The warm up went well, with the GP staying well clear of those behind me when the power was on. I thought "hmmm, this might go well" The bike currently has a brand new piston and rings and an RZ250 pipe. It works pretty well and pulls over a wide range of revs, unlike some of the other 2 strokes.

Race one was an absolute hoot! I was going hard out and was doing pretty well. I had a major problem with ground clearance on right handers, with the peg and the peg bracket hitting the ground. I had a fairly bad wobble going thru the kink (fastest corner on the B track) at one stage, but it was fine. Then shortly after I had a major moment at the infield left hand sweeper- the back end let go in a big way, then gripped and threw me up in the air in a near high side. I caught it and stayed on (just) but an across grass excursion was required to rejoin the race. With two laps to go I did it again on the last corner! Not so bad this time, but the assembled officials on the start finish line shook their heads as I skulked past (oops). D and K14 got past me shortly before the end- I realised I had to slow down or risk binning it. I think they were a tad surprised at how I went...

For race two I was knackered! I've been working long hours and then working on the bike, and I think that realising that I had got the bike sorted made me relax, which stopped the nervous energy I have been living on for the last couple of weeks. I did OK in this race, but the near misses in the first race slowed me down and I found it hard to get into it. D and co got infront of me and then pulled a gap of maybe 20 or 30m over the race. I'm pretty sure that I had another near miss at the kink in this race too.

Race three was a bit more like it. D managed to get by me at the last bend of aabout lap 2 or 3 in a great block pass and proceeded to slowly pull away- he had a bloody good day! I had cranked up the rear preload to the max and was now having a lot less trouble with things scraping, plus Stanko had the brilliant idea of "lathing' off the plasticy green rubber on the edges of the rear tyre. It definitely helped.... but I had a big moment at the kink again. I seem to hit a small bump on the entry which then throws the rear shocks into epilictic fits! I had no option but to take to the grass at max speed... I stayed on and kept it nailed, rejoining the track not far from the hairpin, and without loosing my spot to the guy on the GP behind me. After that I was amped! I realised part of the trouble was my riding position, so I got my shoulders lower down and further off, more like D, and this settled the bike somewhat.

No idea where I finished in any of the races. DP...any ideas?

A huuuge thanks to Stanco, who drove out of his way to pick me up this morning and then dropped me home tonight. He also gave me the RZ pipe and a few others, plus lent me his Dremel (which I forgot to give back- sorry!). Thanks mate :clap: And of course thanks D for the backprotector.

Off to Levels next weekend, (all going well), and hopefully with some stickier bloody tyres and maybe some rearsets. Just need a lift :whistle:

diesel pig
14th August 2005, 22:27
TonyB you came 9th in the 1st points race 10th in the 2nd.
My bucket was basicly heat seizing from running real lean on small main jets.
Took the head off and the oil was cooked but no damage thank huck :Punk:
and Hey TonyB hear you getting in pistons PM me if you can get in XR80 pistons
cheers

LB
15th August 2005, 05:09
A good write-up Kickaha, thanks.

Flyingpony
15th August 2005, 08:43
Awesome write up.
Saw the advert for these races in the local junk mail paper.
Once uni's out for this semester, I'll pop over and watch.

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 11:50
I got 2 words for kickaha and they are ' Rider Incompetence' :rofl:

Kickaha: Gee, whats that sound... mmm, that must mean I need to push harder!..... BANG!!!

See attached video:

TonyB
15th August 2005, 12:03
'Tis a mess indeed! Have you got any video of the racing? Just thought maybe you got someone to play camera man while we were out there. Michelle took a bit- actually got me doing my first off track excursion! That slide/ near high side/ save that seemed to take about 5 seconds actually happened so quick I didn't realise waht it was the first time I watched it- figured out what it was when it showed me taking the shortcut. It's an analogue camcorder though- can you convert it?

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 12:03
The 'Dangerous' one and his monster burnout! ok ok maybe it needs a little work?

To be fair dangerous was on slicks! ;)

See attached Video:

k14
15th August 2005, 12:12
The 'Dangerous' one and his monster burnout! ok ok maybe it needs a little work?

To be fair dangerous was on slicks! ;)

See attached Video:
Nah slicks is no excuse, let them see the master at work (me), now that is how a proper burnout is done.

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 12:19
But wait theres more!

Now it’s the Kirksters turn, again it’s just unfortunate that in this burnout event the awesome raw power is being held back by the slicks!

I’m sure this will make the millions of Kirkster maniacs around the world proud!

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 12:23
let them see the master at work (me), now that is how a proper burnout is done.

Oh you MUST mean me?

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 12:33
Awesome write up.
Saw the advert for these races in the local junk mail paper.
Once uni's out for this semester, I'll pop over and watch.

watch??? you can ride on that 150. :ride:

Rashika
15th August 2005, 15:34
right....finally...pics as promised.
Just a little delay, like flat camera battery, then figuring out how to do some *modifications* in fireworks, but all sorted now.
Fingers crossed I get the right names with pics

Here goes...
Pic 1,2,4,5 are self explanatory
Pic 2 was D's attempt at a burnout, less said about that one the better!

Kirk's at least *looked* good even if somewhat lacking in the smoke dept

TonyB
15th August 2005, 15:39
I have a bad feeling about this....

Rashika
15th August 2005, 15:47
and a couple more...
Pic 1: Self explanatory
Pic 2: the boys lining up for scrutineering: from left Brenchch (looking back), TonyB, Dangerous and Stanko
pic 3: Brenchch..."will I or wont I race this piece of crap, hmmm.. that is a very good question"
Pic 4: if you look close you may just be able to see tonyBs fluid problem peeing out

Rashika
15th August 2005, 15:49
I have a bad feeling about this....
:msn-wink: actually you were lucky tonyB, not many pics of you crying over the spilt fuel :devil2:

TonyB
15th August 2005, 15:59
:msn-wink: actually you were lucky tonyB, not many pics of you crying over the spilt fuel :devil2:
Ha! You're too slow- you didn't even get one of my tongue poking out while I was working on it. :motu:

Rashika
15th August 2005, 16:04
okay the SERIOUS stuff now...racing

Pic1: the ONE and ONLY pic of Kickaha on his own bike, no83....during warmup...thats all folks!

pic 2: Race 1...dangerous coming up along the outside of Kickaha (on borrowed bike, before it blew up)

Pic 3: k14 doing his damndest to hold out Dangerous

Pic 4: TonyB doing HIS damndest to hold out both dangerous and K14

Pic 5:...and NOT succeeding, dangerous now taking over with K14 and TonyB behind

Rashika
15th August 2005, 16:08
Ha! You're too slow- you didn't even get one of my tongue poking out while I was working on it. :motu:

hmmm...let me see....well no tongue but definately a bit of agonising going on!! :violin:

Rashika
15th August 2005, 16:26
Race 2

pic 1: no wait...now that cant be Dangerous up with the big boys....ah nope, just the warmup lap

pic2: the big boys in the lead...Diesal Pig (57)..dunno (67)...and 17 is Darryl Cotton

pic 3: Sorry K14 (14) this ones Dangerous's (68)

Pic 4:...but you're looking good k14!!

Pic5:....really good....

Pic 6:...got'em...dangerous gets his man :devil2:

Rashika
15th August 2005, 16:31
interlude...

yummy bikes

pic 1: the buell does Ruapuna...*swoon*...

pic 2, & 3: the ducatis battle it out

Rashika
15th August 2005, 16:46
phew, last race

pic 1: ready to race from left we have...Stanko (red helmet, no 41), Dangerous (68), brenchch (50), K14 (14) and TonyB (9)....allmost all the racers together...hmmm wheres kickaha?? think he may be in the back there too

Pic 2: Stanko ...cos i missed him earlier :slap: ...sorry dude

pic 3 &4: Dangerous getting Kirk *again* sorry mate, just couldn't find anymore of you in front :violin:

Pic 5: BrenChch having his day

Rashika
15th August 2005, 17:26
lucky last
pic 1, 2 & 3: dangerous leading into the corner....thru, taking it a bit wide, and damn back in the middle again

Still a damn good day, and didn't they all do well?!! :Punk:

Bren_chch
15th August 2005, 20:11
lucky last
pic 1, 2 & 3: dangerous leading into the corner....thru, taking it a bit wide, and damn back in the middle again

Still a damn good day, and didn't they all do well?!! :Punk:

GREAT! am looking forward to viewing these, but they wont load yet as something is rooted with kiwibiker!

Racey Rider
16th August 2005, 13:49
Good effort Guys and Girls.

Cheers me up no end to hear I'm not the only one to have problems at race days! :clap:

Well labeled pic's too. Thanks.

dangerous
16th August 2005, 18:35
Pic 2 was D's attempt at a burnout, less said about that one the better!

Kirk's at least *looked* good even if somewhat lacking in the smoke dept
Now they are some awesome pics there, but that pic of me trying a burnout..... no bloody wounder it wouldent lite up.... that wee shit k14 is pushing down on the arse end.... anyway look closer..... there is smoke out the back of the bike, I'm sure of it :clap:

gav
16th August 2005, 19:08
and Hey TonyB hear you getting in pistons PM me if you can get in XR80 pistons
cheers
I take it these XR80 pistons won't be for a bucket? Being a competition bike and all......wouldnt want to be fitting any illegal bits now would we? :psst:

k14
16th August 2005, 19:32
I take it these XR80 pistons won't be for a bucket? Being a competition bike and all......wouldnt want to be fitting any illegal bits now would we? :psst:
XR80 isnt a competition bike (is it??), competition bikes are like CRF, CR, YZ, KX etc. Well thats what i thought anyway.

steve k
16th August 2005, 20:16

correct me if im wrong but havent the restrictions on pistons been lifted?

gav
16th August 2005, 23:26
XR80 isnt a competition bike (is it??), competition bikes are like CRF, CR, YZ, KX etc. Well thats what i thought anyway.
See, all to confusing really, isnt it? Kick explained that if it could be registered for the road in standard trim it was OK.
Restrictions on pistons lifted? Really? Whats the point? Might as well open it right up and allow MX and GP stuff say 10 years old and older.

Bren_chch
16th August 2005, 23:34
that pic of me trying a burnout..... no bloody wounder it wouldent lite up.... that wee shit k14 is pushing down on the arse end.... anyway look closer..... there is smoke out the back of the bike, I'm sure of it :clap:

exhaust smoke, as for the rear being pushed down... gravity! :violin:

:devil2:

Rashika
17th August 2005, 06:34
exhaust smoke, as for the rear being pushed down... gravity! :violin:

:devil2:

hmmm :sherlock:
...yep...sorry D but I dont think that QUITE qualifies as real burnout smoke... :whistle:

TonyB
24th August 2005, 12:00
The Sportzfotoz pics are finally available.
Dangerous (68) (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0004.jpg)
Bren_Chch (50) (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0006.jpg)
Diesel Pig (57) (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0108.jpg)
Stanko (41) (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0127.jpg)
K14 (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0297.jpg)
Bren again (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0131.jpg)
DP again (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0133.jpg)
Me (9) and Dangerous chasing somebody- note the peg bracket on mine, bloody thing keeps hitting the ground (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0303.jpg)
Stanko again (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0310.jpg)
Me again (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0315.jpg)
Bren thinking about taking a short cut- eyes on the road!- while being chased by Stanko (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0316.jpg)
I hope thats tyre smoke DP... (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0331.jpg)
D again (http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz/Images/CBMCCWS2005R4/Buckets/_M7R0334.jpg)
God knows where Kickaha is amongst all this- he swapped and blew up so many bikes I have no idea where he is...

Bren_chch
24th August 2005, 13:58
Cheers Tony, good post!

TonyB
24th August 2005, 14:09
Exactly what were you looking at Bren?

dangerous
24th August 2005, 18:28
1) Bren thinking about taking a short cut- eyes on the road!- while being chased by Stanko
2) I hope thats tyre smoke DP...
3) God knows where Kickaha is amongst all this- he swapped and blew up so many bikes I have no idea where he is...

1) well he was that bloody slow that he had time to check the scenery out :ride:
2) Mate, all fast things smoke like that... looks just like a yank Starlifter barreling in :Punk:
3) aint that the truth :chase:

diesel pig
24th August 2005, 19:37
1) well he was that bloody slow that he had time to check the scenery out :ride:
2) Mate, all fast things smoke like that... looks just like a yank Starlifter barreling in :Punk:
3) aint that the truth :chase:

2) That's it dying mate :oi-grr: