PDA

View Full Version : 1990 ZZR250 issues. Help!

Boodge1993
11th February 2013, 23:21
G'day from aussie land, hahah ive recently brought a project zzr250 for 500$ IMO the guy who soled it got ripped off it runs just needs a couple of things done, im an apprentice diesel mechanic so not very cluey on the whole carby and wet box and stuff and was wondering what am i looking for (as in wear wise in the jets) as in like diaprhagm and stuff and whats what, as in are the jetts the one attatched to the floats and yeah need some expert help haha cause ive cleaned it all out and everything looked in great condition but my bike wont idle still it will rev fine after cleanin it it was more reaponsive, but takes forever to idle down from 4-1.5 thou and when it gets to 1500 it slowly keeps going down untill it stalls im going to replace the pod filters and adjust mixture and replace fuel filter to see if that helps, any help would be hugely appreciated, and now for the other one i have an oil leak just behind the from sproket somwhere im not sure where because theres oil near that area (behind gear lever) not sure where to look,, and yeah im going to replace all the fuel/ vacumme hoses coolant hoses etc and yeah hopefully that fixes something, anyway any help is amazing cheers!!

gammaguy
12th February 2013, 05:42
you could start by getting a manual

Akzle
12th February 2013, 06:12
you could start by getting a manual

and then learn to use the [return] key, and punctuation.
but yeah. get a manual.
fuckin 'srtayans.

unstuck
12th February 2013, 07:37
Yes, It would be a good idea to get yourself a manual. I would look at your mixture setting first. The oil leak you speak of is probably just a seal, either around the gear lever shaft, or in behind the sprocket, should be fairly easy to do.:Punk:

Boodge1993
12th February 2013, 08:08
Cheers unstuck and yea ive only had the bike 2 days so i was just trying to get an opinion, thanks for the stupid comments you first two idiots theres always those keyboard warriors.

The End
12th February 2013, 08:40
Cheers unstuck and yea ive only had the bike 2 days so i was just trying to get an opinion, thanks for the stupid comments you first two idiots theres always those keyboard warriors.

Welcome to Kiwibiker.

Akzle
12th February 2013, 14:09

put on your big girl panties sunshine, this is kiwibiker, not the fucking knitting club forum.

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 14:43
It's lean

I hate pod filters on CV carbs, 99% of the time you lose power.
Soooo...
Check
Air leaks
Carb sync
Float level
Pilot screw adjustment (under the carb, small brass screw on each carb between the butterfly and the head), turn it in 'till gently seated, then back them out 2.5 turns.
Exhaust leaks
Holes/rips in carb diaphragms
Blocked air jets (these are in the bell mouth at the airbox side, teeny tiny things)

You may need more turns than 2.5 on your pilot screws, because you have pods.

Oh, jets:
They're in the carb bowl, main jet is in the middle, it'll be round with a flat blade c\slot to unscrew, it's seated in the emulsion tube which has the 8mm hex on it, also unscrews
The pilot jets are smaller and set in the recess at 10-11 oclock if you hold the carb with the float needle pointing at you

I'll put a pic up if need be

Boodge1993
12th February 2013, 16:58
Photos would help heaps aye, i dont really know much bout carbys im trying to find manuals but no luck yet. Ive like stripped carbs back the rubber diaphragms in the carbs looked fine i cleaned absolutley everything and it was all pretty clean to start with. Nothing was blocked or anything. Yeah i didnt want pods but it had then and yea photos of everything to look at would be greatly appreciated, like photos of were the mixture screws are pics of the jets and stuff, and where to look for air leaks, like lines an other stuff thanks for the help!

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 17:48
Get a GPX, GPZ, EX250 manual to help you out

#1 pilot screw
#2 Main jet and emulsion tube
#3 pilot jet
#4 Float needle and seat, manual will tell you how to set it, or look up Keihin CV (or CVK) float setting

Boodge1993
12th February 2013, 20:52
Awesome cheers man!! Only thing is this looks nothing like my carbs hahaha but i get it and it was a massive help, only thin now is where do i check for these air leaks? Again i really really apreciate all the help!!

ducatilover
12th February 2013, 21:32
They all work the same, from memory they have a CV/CVK series Keihin, the one in the pic is a CVK-D32 upside down with no bowl on (evidently), yours will have the same bits, but they may look a wee bit different

If you pull your carbs off at some point and take a pic, I'll label what's what

Air leaks is easy, just get some CRC and spray it around the manifold while it's running, only doing small areas at once. If the revs drop, or suddenly stabalise you've got a leak where you sprayed
Google may explain better :innocent:

Boodge1993
13th February 2013, 08:45
Thanks so much for all your help!! I did some work on it last night, carbs are off again.. Haha the floats are all good im going to adjust the mixture screw while its off and also get rid of the pods and get the original air box,
thanks again for all your help

Banditbandit
13th February 2013, 08:57
G'day from aussie land, hahah ive recently brought a project zzr250 for 500$ IMO the guy who soled it got ripped off

And who did the ripping off??? Fucking Illiterate Godless convicts over the ditch ... you're just another rip off artist !!! Piss off ...

Boodge1993
13th February 2013, 09:48
Your a dick mate... He was selling it for $500 wake up to yourself aye thought people knew what they're doing on here not being tough cunts go find something constructive to do mate. Fuck me everywhere there is wankers like you sitting at a keyboard being tough ruins everything only 2 decent people posted on here aye.

Jeff Sichoe
13th February 2013, 11:31
Hope you get the problem sorted dude, maybe check the Technical / Bike mechanics sub forums for more help?

Sometimes the monkeys get a bit excited here in 'General Bike Ravings'!

bogan
13th February 2013, 11:42
Thanks so much for all your help!! I did some work on it last night, carbs are off again.. Haha the floats are all good im going to adjust the mixture screw while its off and also get rid of the pods and get the original air box,
thanks again for all your help

I think ducatilover has covered the carb stuff pretty comprehensively, just be aware it could be a top end or compression issue as well, but apart from doing the valve clearance fixing that is harder, so start with the carbs is the best plan.

Also, it makes it easier for us to internet diagnose if the problems, changes and effects are set out clearly, line by line is probably a good way of doing that. Also pictures, and include anything that you may not think are relevant; good to see you're a quick learner and have noticed a few things around here that aren't relevant :laugh:

Boodge1993
13th February 2013, 11:51
Yeah thanks fellas, ive got carbs off now as i've said and yeah its just hard cause ive only got my phone for the net atthe moment so makes it harder haha, but all is good getting a manual and doin valve set and going to check compression so fingers crossed

Akzle
13th February 2013, 16:15
but all is good getting a manual and doin valve set and going to check compression so fingers crossed

so you're going to solve your own problem, with the solution provided you by the first two responses you got :niceone:

fucken 'strayan.

ducatilover
13th February 2013, 16:42
I think ducatilover has covered the carb stuff pretty comprehensively, just be aware it could be a top end or compression issue as well, but apart from doing the valve clearance fixing that is harder, so start with the carbs is the best plan.

This is actually a possibility, they'll destroy valves and seats when run lean (pods/zorst) just like the 500 twins do :niceone:
Or it's just because it's a ZZR

Boodge1993
13th February 2013, 20:05
Got a question guy's the coasting enricher, what does it do?
I pulled it apart and the spring was all good but, there was what looked like rust on the rubber and the metal part in it.
Also the metal (plunger looking thing) doesnt move is it supposed to?
Cheers guys again thanks for all the help!!
P.s still trying to find a manual from motorbike shops, hahaha

ducatilover
13th February 2013, 20:15
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_a_carburetor_works:_Carbs_explained this may be of some use to you

Boodge1993
13th February 2013, 20:44
Ahhhh yes!!!! Awesome!! Thanks so much ducatilover!!! Your awesome thanks soo much man!!!

gammaguy
14th February 2013, 02:29

So getting a manual is a stupid idea?

Banditbandit
14th February 2013, 08:35
Your a dick mate... He was selling it for $500 wake up to yourself aye thought people knew what they're doing on here not being tough cunts go find something constructive to do mate. Fuck me everywhere there is wankers like you sitting at a keyboard being tough ruins everything only 2 decent people posted on here aye.

You know nothing about me idiot ...

You were the one who said the seller got ripped off ... if you had said "I got a good deal" I would have said "congratulations - good deal"

Your atittude sucks ... (not to mention your level of literacy)

Akzle
14th February 2013, 16:58
Your atittude sucks ... (not to mention your level of literacy)

and trust me, coming from that cat hugging hippy nigra, dem's fightin' words'...

Boodge1993
16th February 2013, 11:22
I got it to idle guys runs brilliant but its really slow to return to idle any ideas?..

Akzle
16th February 2013, 11:49
I got it to idle guys runs brilliant but its really slow to return to idle any ideas?..

vacuum slide springs....

unlubed throttle cable...

Boodge1993
16th February 2013, 13:24
Thanks akzle appreciate it!
How do i check if the spring is still okay?

Akzle
16th February 2013, 14:43
Thanks akzle appreciate it!
How do i check if the spring is still okay?

take the top off the carbs, there'll be a free length specified in the manual you bought in step 1. if it's shorter than that, it's fucked.

probably about 1ft, if it's shorter, stretch it. (ideally, replace it)

also take this opportunity to check the rubber diaphragms...

who the phuck invented the word diaphragms. that shit's just stupid. die-a-frag-imms. fucking english.