PDA

View Full Version : Driver anger, L plate or not

f2dz
12th February 2013, 10:39
I just got my restricted a week ago and was extremely happy to finally get rid of my L plate. "There go the days of people tailgating me all the time", I thought. Oh how I was wrong..

Has anyone noticed this during the transition? The first week I was on a bike with Ls I was tailgated incessantly. When I finally figured out what I was doing and was able to keep up with everyone else it didn't seem so bad anymore, with the odd person still doing it. Now it seems I get it twice as bad as when I first started, and I easily ride faster than I did then.

The worst cases are when I split to the front of queues (a touchy subject, but it's mainly to avoid a rear end) and take off in front of the line of cars to only be raced by the one at the front whilst the others take off at a normal pace.

Not just that, but on the motorway I seem to get tailgated also. Not because I'm holding up the fast lane or anything, but it's happened a few times in the slow lane even. Yesterday a guy tailgated me in the slow lane for a good few minutes before almost missing his offramp..

It all just seems a bit strange. Is it something else, or do people just really hate motorcycles?

iYRe
12th February 2013, 11:15
Hi neighbour (I live in weymouth).

I dont have a problem, but then I ride a big black bike and try to look as intimidating as possible.

nodrog
12th February 2013, 11:27
Are you one of these twats that split to the front and then proceed to dawdle at 10kph under the speed limit? If so, i would try and run you over as well. If not, its probably due to the fact you live in auckland.

Grashopper
12th February 2013, 11:27
I don't think I ever had problems due to my L plate (in all those loooong...3 month of it :) ). I only have people tailgaiting me when I'm too slow, but then I just let them pass and problem solved.

Hehe, maybe I should just leave it on for the next 10 years or so until cars have automatic sensors that will force them to keep their distance. :yes:

Gremlin
12th February 2013, 12:15
It all just seems a bit strange. Is it something else, or do people just really hate motorcycles?
Generally, kiwis are crap drivers.

Oblivion
12th February 2013, 12:24
Ride at your own pace. I took a trip to Mokau and was sitting smack on 100 the whole way. Got overtaken by every man and his dog. Its not a big deal. Move to the left and wave them past.

Just dont be like a certain lady that decided to overtake by trying to cross the centreline as little as possible. :facepalm:

Akzle
12th February 2013, 14:06
you're in auckland.
aucklanders have no spatial awareness or reasoning. they also think it's perfectly reasonable to sit three abreast on a motorway, all travelling 20km under the speed limit, and don't realise that it's not actually normal to have a queue of cars behind you, when they get onto country roads,
get a shotgun scabbard for the forks on your bike, and a shotgun, obviously. if they don't get the point, give them the point.

Asher
12th February 2013, 14:16
Perhaps get your Speedo checked, you might be going slower than you think.
I'm still on my learners, I am able to sit my restricted now but i have never had a learners plate, i also never get tail gated. If someone tailgates me on the bike and im doing to speed limit i make sure they can see that im not happy about.

f2dz
12th February 2013, 14:51
Hi neighbour (I live in weymouth).

I dont have a problem, but then I ride a big black bike and try to look as intimidating as possible.

Howdy. If you ever commute north on the Southern then we've probably seen each other. :)

I ride a blue Ninja 250, white and black helmet.

Are you one of these twats that split to the front and then proceed to dawdle at 10kph under the speed limit? If so, i would try and run you over as well. If not, its probably due to the fact you live in auckland.

Definitely not me. I try to take off as quickly as I can to not hold up traffic at all. That's why it surprised me when I take off with my usual promptness only to see a car ride on my ass while all the rest of them are still back at the lights.

Perhaps get your Speedo checked, you might be going slower than you think.
I'm still on my learners, I am able to sit my restricted now but i have never had a learners plate, i also never get tail gated. If someone tailgates me on the bike and im doing to speed limit i make sure they can see that im not happy about.

Maybe. I've gone past a few of those digital speed checking signs and have been surprised by how less they tell me I'm actually going. I've done that before too; turned around and gave them a quick stare before looking forward again. Of course while making note I have a good run of clear road ahead of me first. A good stare at em through a tinted visor usually scares em a bit..

I don't think Auckland drivers are that bad on the whole. I really didn't have a problem up until taking my L off. Generally people are pretty aware while I'm riding, just seems like there's more cagers out to get me now that I'm L-less.

iYRe
12th February 2013, 15:10
Howdy. If you ever commute north on the Southern then we've probably seen each other. :)

I ride a blue Ninja 250, white and black helmet.

Hey, yo..

Hmm.. rarely use the southern, usually the south western - because I can detour out to the airport, then ihumatao-Oruarangi-ambury-mangere waterfront on the way to work for some corners :P (same way I ride my bicycle - which I also ride out your way to clevedon then up twilight and back)

If you saw me I might look like this:
or this:

clonak
12th February 2013, 15:14
Quite simpily, it is Auckland. We tailgate, even when we dont need to. We slow right the fuck down to gork at an accident, or someone pulled over by the cops. We cant keep constant speeds. We are just crap drivers, end of story. Spend a few days in a truck driving around Auckland, you will never stop being amazed at the stupidity. Of course, none of that applies to me, because I am the best driver in Auckland, mind you thats what every Aucklander thinks. :laugh:

I got over taken on the bike heading upto warkworth yesterday by a diesel 4x4, on the bend part of the passing lane before the sharp corner, then theres the passing lane straight after it. She didnt go any faster, and only held me up when she came up behind a truck who would kindly pull left every chance he got, but she couldnt over take, and I was stuck behind her. Once I got back in front of her, she was gone, and I was sitting dead on 100. Plain aragance. Cant expect anything more from an Aucklander.

mhm
12th February 2013, 16:25
hey mate, I'm also a neighbour over in weymouth lol,you'll just have to get used to it ae,people just don't care about others.'I too split and go to the front,take off quick etc,99% no probs but there's always that 1%.sometimes I get chased down,other times they take off while the lights red and cut me off,other times they speed up the right hand turn only lane then cut me off.best thing ive found is dark screen,good gear and ride aggressively to the point where you play chicken if you have to. I had a guy tail me up the sw the other day,wouldn't get off my arse even after id pulled way ahead of others and he had more than enough space, I knew he was watching my brakes cos I had a finger on the front lever to light up the brakes and he'd slow a bit then speed up so last resort I jumped on the anchors and was ready to be hit.he slammed on his and locked up,skidded sideways a bit and then never came close to me again :laugh:

matdaymon
12th February 2013, 16:36
It's just the shit Auckland driver thing, I get tailgated all the time, when I was on my plates, Restricted and now on my full, always when I'm sitting between 100 and 110kph indicated.

Just today doing 107kph indicated I was getting tailgated up the Northern motorway by an erratic driving Aston Martin Vanquish owner. That was out of the norm, normally it's assholes in Audi's tailgating me for no apparent reason!:scratch:

chasio
12th February 2013, 17:30
Something I have found to help is to find a good spot (slight downhill helps), pull the clutch in and gently wave your right hand backwards and forwards a few times (straight arm, fingers down) as if to ask them to ease back. I find that 8 or 9 times out of 10 they will wake up and give me more room. No need to be aggro about it, just remind them that you'd like a safer gap to be kept.

My current theory is that they are not really registering your bike as a vehicle, so they are half-pie following the vehicle in front of you, as if you are not there. The 'ease back' wave seems to wake them up a bit. Could be worth a try..?

It's not foolproof and they're are some total arsehats out there. For those, either leave them behind or make it easy for them go around you.

GrayWolf
12th February 2013, 17:35
Ride at your own pace. I took a trip to Mokau and was sitting smack on 100 the whole way. Got overtaken by every man and his dog. Its not a big deal. Move to the left and wave them past.

Just dont be like a certain lady that decided to overtake by trying to cross the centreline as little as possible. :facepalm:

Sorry but I really DO have an issue with this 'move to the left' thing..... Advanced/safe riding ' OWN YOUR BIT OF ROAD' a bike needs as much room as a car, you should be positioned approximately 2/3 or. level with a car driver for road position. moving to the left simply encourages people to use 'bully' tactics. Especially if a fuckwit (WRXGTSEVO) driver is following and observes it. A car does NOT 'move to the left' of its lane when being overtaken.
Secondly, by moving to the left you have automatically removed any manoeuvring space you had, in the event of...... thats my view, and I'll stick to it <_<<_<

bosslady
12th February 2013, 17:42
Answer = Cause they're dicks.

End of story.

mhm
12th February 2013, 18:11
Sorry but I really DO have an issue with this 'move to the left' thing..... Advanced/safe riding ' OWN YOUR BIT OF ROAD' a bike needs as much room as a car, you should be positioned approximately 2/3 or. level with a car driver for road position. moving to the left simply encourages people to use 'bully' tactics. Especially if a fuckwit (WRXGTSEVO) driver is following and observes it. A car does NOT 'move to the left' of its lane when being overtaken.
Secondly, by moving to the left you have automatically removed any manoeuvring space you had, in the event of...... thats my view, and I'll stick to it <_<<_<

very well worded and agree completely

McFatty1000
12th February 2013, 18:20
Don't worry, it happens everywhere, to all sorts and for no reason.
The big one I find though is that they don't register you there as much, and as they can see more road as you don't take up as much space, they seem to think they should be able to go faster/the gap is bigger than it actually is

Assertive riding does help, trying to stay moving past them (Within reason) also helps them notice you

Road kill
12th February 2013, 18:40
As already stated it's just how people drive.

I drive a truck around Auckland most days and like tailgaters then because they give me something to laugh about on slow days.

Favourite trick is to slow down fast "not jump on the brakes" just slow down pretty quick.

Then watch the reactions,,,fucking price less:laugh:

In my car I flip the mirror up so I can't see directly behind me,,,,,,,,an what I don't see don't bother me.

On my bike I move at a slightly faster average speed than the rest of the traffic,,so I never give anybody the chance to tailgate.
That comes with it's own very real risks but I'd rather be in some control of them than leave myself open to the driving skills of some mouth breather who as far as I'm concerned are 99% of all other road users.

The bikers I see tailgating cars on the southern motorway every day are some of the more interesting but only in how close the dumb fucks get to the cars their following,,,often 3-4 meters away where as the average car would be around 6 meters back.

Probably KB regulars.:yes:

Berries
12th February 2013, 18:50
I would have thought it was common courtesy, something sadly lacking on NZ roads. If I am driving the work truck or the wife's car and I see someone catching up to me I will move to the left, as much to allow them to see past me so they can decide when to overtake. It doesn't matter what speed I am doing, if they are going faster than me and I can see it is safe for them to overtake I will move over within the lane. Doesn't happen to me on the bike because, well, I've never had that problem. I would get pissed at someone who is holding me up sticking doggedly to their own perceived personal space. It might be safer for them to move over and let the vehicle get past and get away rather than hold them up and suffer a really dodgy overtake borne out of frustration.

Or go faster. That works.

Dogboy900
12th February 2013, 19:01
I recently had a 250 loaner from the bike shop and I have to say I noticed that cars were more likely to tailgate, and force themselves into my lane than when I am on my Fireblade.
Of course once I got a little used to it, I had so much fun thrashing that little 250 I seriously started looking for one for a while. It turned me into a maniac around town! Dangerous those little bikes!

FJRider
12th February 2013, 19:06
Really don't have a big problem with that down here ...

Country people like space between each other. Townies like to get a bit closer.

City folk like to get REALLY close ...

reggie1198
12th February 2013, 20:32
Definitely not me. I try to take off as quickly as I can to not hold up traffic at all. That's why it surprised me when I take off with my usual promptness only to see a car ride on my ass while all the rest of them are still back at the lights.

You can't be leaving the lights that quick if the cars can keep up with you.

My solution was to take clutch hand and place behind back, form wanker sign and proceed to stroke hand up and down slowly, this usually pisses him off so he comes along side you. Problem solved, you are no longer being tailgated.

"Warning, this advise may result in road rage, and even death, not to be used on car loads of patched up blokes with hash smoke billowing from the windows, suitable only for non threatening looking white guys in suits and old ladies only"

FJRider
12th February 2013, 20:39
Answer = Cause they're dicks.

End of story.

Or they're married to a dick. (it's contagious)

Subike
12th February 2013, 21:21
Tail Gaters?? what are them things???
If the fuckers cant keep up, I dont care,
Hell, my 250 is just a putter putter, but over the 100 foot dash, I tend to win the race to the next gap in the traffic on four lane roads.
I have always rode i an aggressive style, moving at about 5kph faster than the flow seems to keep me always ahead of any problems.
even do it passing police cars, yet to be ticketed.. but will happen in due time.
Not on my XS11, fuck ya hoo if some turkey in a cage want to lights race...tee you latter cager....
Bugger time to lock the XS11 away in the garage again...

But seriously, On my Black XS1100, I never have problems with tail gaters, lanes changers or SMIDSY fellas,
On my Red/ White XS1100 I have to be aware of them as much as on my 250.....now why would that be..... oh wise bikers of KB?

FJRider
12th February 2013, 22:24
On my Red/ White XS1100 I have to be aware of them as much as on my 250.....now why would that be..... oh wise bikers of KB?

Unpaid ACC levies .. ??? :innocent:

GrayWolf
13th February 2013, 13:05
I would have thought it was common courtesy, something sadly lacking on NZ roads. If I am driving the work truck or the wife's car and I see someone catching up to me I will move to the left, as much to allow them to see past me so they can decide when to overtake. It doesn't matter what speed I am doing, if they are going faster than me and I can see it is safe for them to overtake I will move over within the lane. Doesn't happen to me on the bike because, well, I've never had that problem. I would get pissed at someone who is holding me up sticking doggedly to their own perceived personal space. It might be safer for them to move over and let the vehicle get past and get away rather than hold them up and suffer a really dodgy overtake borne out of frustration.

Or go faster. That works.

Ok, fair response,
so lets consider this... move left.. in a truck, unless there is a chevroned area, slow lane etc, at best its a 'few' feet.
move left on a bike? even to 1/3 of the lane remaining on your left. So NOT to be in the kerb and riding on the drain lids etc. you now have enough room for said impatient fucknut to pull level with you, straddling the centre line, instead of being all the way over and in the opposite lane...
Now just how many of our outstanding NZ drivers can you think of would not attempt a dodgy overtake anyway, just BECAUSE they are halfway in their own lane, misjudge it, or simply not give a wanks thought to the poor bugger on the 'wee 250' and simply crowd the motorcycle into the kerb. They cant 'force' a truck further left, but they sure as hades can see the bike can be pushed a few more feet,,,,
Sorry but 'owning' your bit of road is not done in an 'aggressive' manner, as pointed out, it allows manoeuvring room in the case of.......