PDA

View Full Version : The age old question: cheap and new or cheap and flogged? (Hyosung or CBR)

ollyjg
15th February 2013, 12:00
Had my licence for an age and been looking at bikes for the past 7-8 years in the hope that 'one day' id have a bit of cash to spare.
At this rate it doesnt look like it'l be anytime soon so I figured its time to just jump on in there.

The qaundry; and yes it is an age old question....

Cheap and new?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-560586598.htm

or cheap and ancient?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-558739402.htm

The thought of buying a 20+ yr bike with 60-140ks scares me a little. To my eye the old f1-3s are particularly pretty either. Crazy how they hold thier value

Hyosung? no top end, steel frame (akin to the f1,f2), terrible reviews etc etc and no aftermarket value.
I think I could live with a slower bike. I'm not out to set any records and if I made it to the track it would still be ample for me.

Would appreciate any comments. I'm just trying to gauge what its likely to cost in the long term.
Ideally I'd like something that I can put 20k on without having to send it down to the shop to spend what amounts to an F4.

Then again in another few years I might be able to afford that 600rr I've been drooling over

Cheers all,

Great forum

Glowerss
15th February 2013, 12:16
First off the Hyodung hasn't hit reserve/isn't within 15% of reserve so keep that in mind.

Secondly, there are 2 things I've found to be true buying second hand bikes in New Zealand.

A) You get what you pay for. If it's cheap, it's probably cheap for a reason. Yes, you can occasionally find a cheap bike thats in reasonable nic, but by and large, you get what you pay for.

B) When it comes to the sub 6-7k market (and possibly over) any trademe bike WILL need something sorted out. How severe will likely depend on how much you're paying :lol: Budget accordingly.

Do you need a sportbike? There are heaps of nakeds/tourers/motards that are newer bikes with low Ks that will be extremely reliable, cheap, and would still be tons of fun. A "cheap" bike may not end up being cheap in the long run.

Cam_NZ
15th February 2013, 12:18
I am no expert, but i asked a similar question recently. My response was to stay clear of CBR's all together. Such a long history of riding and most Rev quite high, so have been ridin that way

As for the hyo, it has alot of mixed reviews. Apparently made poorly and have uncomfortable riding positions. They have supposedly improved quality on the 09+ models but again im no expert

Anyway a list i got given, hornet, gn, scorpio, or ninja. All have good reviews and all last long enough.

If you check of the first 3 or so pages of my thread it has it all in there anyway

Goodluck!

Akzle
15th February 2013, 12:21
depending how handy you are, older tech is easier to fix, adjust, tune etc.
if you're the generation that expects a USB port on everything, and buy a new-fangled bike, then you'll be paying a workshop to do maintenance.

FYI. 1991 is not "old".

TheTengTheory
15th February 2013, 12:28
I am no expert, but i asked a similar question recently. My response was to stay clear of CBR's all together. Such a long history of riding and most Rev quite high, so have been ridin that way

As for the hyo, it has alot of mixed reviews. Apparently made poorly and have uncomfortable riding positions. They have supposedly improved quality on the 09+ models but again im no expert

Anyway a list i got given, hornet, gn, scorpio, or ninja. All have good reviews and all last long enough.

If you check of the first 3 or so pages of my thread it has it all in there anyway

Goodluck!

+1 for the hornet. Same engine as the cbr250rr but altered timing and cams for a lower limit (16k vs 19k). Full size frame and PHAT tires :D...

Plus everyone seems to think it's a 600cc :killingme

Zedder
15th February 2013, 12:52
It depends what you're into. For me, 'cos I'm a cheap bastard but like working on and fixing things, I don't mind buying older bikes etc.

Having said that, I check them out carefully before buying.

Even if I had bucket loads of money, I'd probably still muck around with the much newer machinery I bought.

arcane12
15th February 2013, 12:57
One point to note - the Hyosung is a 650 - >$100 a year extra rego

Why is he selling the Hyosung? only 9000kms, new tyre, battery, brakes. Shouldn't be near needing any major replacements, unless I am wrong?

Rhys
15th February 2013, 13:21
Jappers will go for ever if well looked after but tend to be more expensive to repair

the korean made hyosung will a little less reliable but will be cheaper to fix

ollyjg
16th February 2013, 14:55
cheers all for checking out the links and for the feedback.

CAM_NZ thanks for the link :)
The hornets look great. have read some really good reviews. I would like something I can eventually take down to the odd club day so I'm leaning a little more towards the cbr/zxr than say a scorpio.

Zedder, you got me thinking there. Have you managed any Honda rebuilds on the cheap? I've done a little bit of tinkering in the past..
Maybe its worth looking at something mid 90's with high ks?

Something to work with perhaps? More road orientated but still I'm sure a bit of fun on the track
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-562022649.htm

SMOKEU
16th February 2013, 16:26
FYI. 1991 is not "old".

It's not old, it's ancient.

Zedder
16th February 2013, 16:31
[QUOTE=ollyjg;1130500903]

Zedder, you got me thinking there. Have you managed any Honda rebuilds on the cheap? I've done a little bit of tinkering in the past..
Maybe its worth looking at something mid 90's with high ks?

The only Honda road bike I had was a 1994 VFR750 which was super reliable (something they were known for) hadn't done many kms plus it wasn't a commuter so got good long runs. I never did a thing to it rebuild wise.

My other Hondas were off roaders and got the usual minor treatment.

There's alway an element of risk involved in buying older bikes of course but it can be reduced by buying carefully as I wrote earlier. Having a workshop manual is vital (and a mechanic mate if possible) but I've never regretted doing it even though things haven't always gone to plan at times. That's part and parcel of motorbiking though.

Akzle
16th February 2013, 17:01
It's not old, it's ancient.

what do you care, you'd just drop it in your driveway anyway.

SMOKEU
16th February 2013, 17:18
what do you care, you'd just drop it in your driveway anyway.

I learned my lesson from that one.

Glowerss
17th February 2013, 11:03
If you're looking to spend around 3k why dont you have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-560962624.htm ?

If I had my full I'd be down to look at that in a heartbeat. Geared cams ( :drool: ) extremely reliable and V4s are tasty.

Considering it's an 01 with bugger all KMs it's a damn sight better then any of the choices you've linked so far.

eSOL
17th February 2013, 11:12
Picked up my CBR250rr MC22.

LOVE IT. Can take any other 250 on the road with ease. Have taken it up to around 170km/h (on private roads of course) and it felt like it could go way harder. Just make sure you service the shit out of it as soon as you get it and it should do you well.

GrayWolf
17th February 2013, 12:41
Had my licence for an age and been looking at bikes for the past 7-8 years in the hope that 'one day' id have a bit of cash to spare.
At this rate it doesnt look like it'l be anytime soon so I figured its time to just jump on in there.

The qaundry; and yes it is an age old question....

Cheap and new?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-560586598.htm

or cheap and ancient?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-558739402.htm

The thought of buying a 20+ yr bike with 60-140ks scares me a little. To my eye the old f1-3s are particularly pretty either. Crazy how they hold thier value

Hyosung? no top end, steel frame (akin to the f1,f2), terrible reviews etc etc and no aftermarket value.
I think I could live with a slower bike. I'm not out to set any records and if I made it to the track it would still be ample for me.

Would appreciate any comments. I'm just trying to gauge what its likely to cost in the long term.
Ideally I'd like something that I can put 20k on without having to send it down to the shop to spend what amounts to an F4.

Then again in another few years I might be able to afford that 600rr I've been drooling over

Cheers all,

Great forum

The Hyo's have a 'bad rep'.. once again I'll remind the young masses the Japanese made some HUGE fuck ups in the late 60's to the 80's and STILL have to recall bikes for repairs, modifications even today... so lets get THAT into perspective.
Hyosung were involved with Suzuki on the SV650, but the hyo isnt an exact copy, but they used a lot of the japanese 'know how'.. yes the early bikes had some issues, they have improved, and there are people even on here who have done some good mileages on them, even the 250's. Once a bike has a reputation? it never shakes it, and it's finished.. Classic example of this is the horrendous fuck up of the Yamaha TX750, it was a brilliant piece of engineering thought, but 'poorly executed'... basically it used a chain driven counter weight to prevent vibration found on parallel twins.. they didnt make it adjustable and it ftotheed up the oil, seizures galore, Yamaha fixed the problem's and if you read up on the final version it was a sorted, reliable bike... too late it's goose was cooked! There were several jap bikes in the 1980's with fork seal issues... didnt stop them selling in big numbers, in fact a lot ofYamaha's TODAY still can do the fork seals at low k's.. my MT? has a known issue with the steering head bearings, they get water in them and nearly all end up replaced by 30k. Honda in the 80's fitted all their bikes with FVQ shocks... fade very quickly, didnt stop hundreds of thousands buying bikes with shit shock absorbers. The Hyo may not be 'quite' japanese standard, but like Daiwoo, Kia, Hyundai they are catching up bloody fast.
yes I will agree the hornet seems to be one of the better 250's for durability and ability... but you answer your own question really.... high revving, old, and a lot of previous owners more than likely, Vs a lower revving, newer, lower K's bike that is unlikely to have gone through a series of 'enthusiastic' riders with dubious maintenance schedules.

I doubt there will be a lot between them for performance. The edge would have to go to the 650, but it will pull better in mid range, and it will be cheaper to service and repair................. caveat emptor