PDA

View Full Version : So, my CC has 8 ends

Akzle
16th February 2013, 10:54
and that's only what i've pulled out the top.

how many KMs would you e'spect a simplex chain to do? (this is probably ~75k, unless it's gone around the clock, or been swapped out, or something...)
the bits i've pulled out don't feel too worn, lengthy wise, and the CCT seems in good order...

it's always had oil while i've had it, there's no heat damage et al on the cam shafts...

r0aR!!

paturoa
16th February 2013, 12:47
Is there a spec for chain length between pins? If you can find that, it may explain something.

Not sure on the truth of it, but on those model zooks, I have a recollection that the cam chain tensioner can be turned the wrong way / fiddled with and over tighten the chain. Perhaps a prev owner ferked that.

FJRider
16th February 2013, 13:39
Only one break in the chain would have started it all. The rest would be in the following miliseconds ...

Is the joiner intact .. ???

Akzle
16th February 2013, 14:39
Is there a spec for chain length between pins? If you can find that, it may explain something.

Not sure on the truth of it, but on those model zooks, I have a recollection that the cam chain tensioner can be turned the wrong way / fiddled with and over tighten the chain. Perhaps a prev owner ferked that.
it may be in the manual. it doesn't feel worn AFAIK, and i've fiddled a few chains in my time. i haven't checked specs of the CCT, but it looks/feel right (what's left of it ><) although you probably need a chain to actually measure.
f@ckF@ckf@ck.

Only one break in the chain would have started it all. The rest would be in the following miliseconds ...

Is the joiner intact .. ???

a) yeha. duh.

b) i assume you mean the joining link, didn't notice a clip (dnt know if rivet or clip), didn't look too hard though, i was swearing a lot and thinking of beer. it might be part of my gearbox now.

FJRider
16th February 2013, 14:53
a) yeha. duh.

b) i assume you mean the joining link, didn't notice a clip (dnt know if rivet or clip), didn't look too hard though, i was swearing a lot and thinking of beer. it might be part of my gearbox now.

Yep ... I did mean that. Usually a locking clip on Cam chains. (as I recall ... never seen rivets on them)

Katman
18th February 2013, 09:21
Yep ... I did mean that. Usually a locking clip on Cam chains. (as I recall ... never seen rivets on them)

I don't actually recall seeing a cam chain joiner link with a locking clip.

The pins are usually peened over to secure the link.

neels
18th February 2013, 10:20
I don't actually recall seeing a cam chain joiner link with a locking clip.

The pins are usually peened over to secure the link.
Often the factory ones don't have a joining link, replacement ones may do because that's the easiest way to get them in there dragging the new chain through with the end of the old one.

Can't say I've heard of too many camchains failing like that (except in Hondas but that's a different story) usually they just start making noises on the inside of the engine to let you know they need replacing.

Katman
18th February 2013, 11:02
Often the factory ones don't have a joining link, replacement ones may do because that's the easiest way to get them in there dragging the new chain through with the end of the old one.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

What I was saying is that joining links are usually secured by means of peening the pin ends - not by the use of a locking clip.

paturoa
18th February 2013, 11:42
Are the guides ferked or bent? Perhaps a loose guide may have cause the chain to come off a sprocket to kill it (ie there was nothing wrong with the chain)

Akzle
18th February 2013, 13:24
Are the guides ferked or bent? Perhaps a loose guide may have cause the chain to come off a sprocket to kill it (ie there was nothing wrong with the chain)

the bottom of the guide at the front of the engine was smashed to hell. but unsure which came first, the chicken, or the rooster.. y'know?

haven't taken anything more than the head off, for all i know the CCT guide could be shat too, or the bottom end shaft runout, or. or. or...

of course, i did try to crash start it after it went bang, so that's going to make diagnosis a bit more fun.

i'm now thinking a 'ffroader conversion... jack up the arse, long forks, rip the wiring out....

of course, that's if i get enough engine bits to make it go, and the gearbox isn't shat. although i do have a collection of needle files...