PDA

View Full Version : Full face, open face or flip-up??

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 11:54
What's everybody current wearing?
Discuss your preferences as well.
:whistle:

LB
9th January 2004, 12:10
Personally, I would never wear an open-face, and I have an inherent distrust of flip-up helmets. Currently wear a Shoei XVR and am looking at upgrading soon to a Shoei XR1000. I LOVE the current graphics I've got (called Myazaki/Trump/Ace depending on where you look) and am not that fussed on the current graphics available, though will probably go for the blue/black/white rather than plain. Although I understand that plain white is supposed to be very good for visibility.

I like the look of some of the Arais but the Shoei fits my head better.

Coldkiwi
9th January 2004, 12:16
always worn a full face, always will. heard to many horror stories from my sister about guys coming into the Emergency dept in PA hospital in Brisbane looking like they've been attacked witha cheese grater after crashing in an open face.
as for flip up... well, maybe ok (great idea in theory) but just how much of a knock is needed for them to fail? I personally like my facial features the way they are.
Using a KBC galaxy atm for shear value ($400 from mT eden) but I really like the feel, fit and look of the Sharks. One's on my list!

jrandom
9th January 2004, 12:31
Using a KBC galaxy atm for shear value

As opposed to, say, the chinguard on a flip-up, which poses a shear risk? :bleh:

jrandom
9th January 2004, 12:43
Shoei Raid, cheap at 'arf the price ($600 back in '02 iirc) fits a treat and comes in the One True Colour. Arais just don't seem to go on my head very well, and I've heard too many dodgy stories about AGVs to consider buying one.

I don't think I'll ever buy a helmet with graphics.

Anything other than a full-face was never even a consideration. I like my rugged, manly jawline with that un-grated look :crazy:

James Deuce
9th January 2004, 12:48
I have a Nolan N100E Flip-up that is just bloody brilliant. The pin-lock anti fogging system is the best anti fogging system I have ever used and the vents actually work. The only thing I would complain about is it is a bit heavier than a normal full face.

On top of that it recently won an EU sponsored safety contest in the impact category, so I am quite confident that it is safe. It is also rated as safe for racing in GB.

I don't ride around with it open though.

Coldkiwi
9th January 2004, 13:07
As opposed to, say, the chinguard on a flip-up, which poses a shear risk? :bleh:

indeed... smartarse :baby: hehe

I like the Nolan range too although like you say, they do appear a bit heavier than the others. I rate the sharks also because of their thicker visor to help prevent fogging. I've used one briefly in winter with a fog city insert and I had a lot of trouble getting it steamed- what a difference! And despite Jrandom's assertions, some of those graphics are dead sexy!

About the AGV's, they look ok but they seem to have a bit of an underdog, low quality reputation despite Rossi wearing one. Whats up with that??

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 13:07
I have a Nolan N100E Flip-up that is just bloody brilliant. The pin-lock anti fogging system is the best anti fogging system I have ever used and the vents actually work. The only thing I would complain about is it is a bit heavier than a normal full face.

On top of that it recently won an EU sponsored safety contest in the impact category, so I am quite confident that it is safe. It is also rated as safe for racing in GB.

I don't ride around with it open though.
I really like the look of those Nolans. I would own one except for the fact that Nolan don't make them big enough! I've tried their so-called XXL but it sits on top of my "massive cranium" like a thimble. Same problem too with the other manufacturers of flip-ups. That's the only reason I ride with a Shoei full-face. Hobson's choice, I think it's called...
:crazy:

wari
9th January 2004, 13:23
... their so-called XXL ... sits on top of my "massive cranium" like a thimble ...
:crazy:

How does your head compare with Andre the Giants ??? ... now thats a BIG cranium !!! Cant imagine he was a biker tho' :no:

jrandom
9th January 2004, 14:21
had a lot of trouble getting steamed ... even though some of those graphics are dead sexy!

Well, we all know about those metrosexual issues now, don't we? :eek:

About the AGV's, they look ok but they seem to have a bit of an underdog, low quality reputation despite Rossi wearing one. Whats up with that??

'scos they're Italian and therefore very sexy, also very likely to fall apart. Do a Google Groups search for AGV-related comments on uk.rec.motorcycles for more pithy remarks than you can shake a stick at. :Pokey:

James Deuce
9th January 2004, 14:25
How does your head compare with Andre the Giants ??? ... now thats a BIG cranium !!! Cant imagine he was a biker tho' :no:

Bit difficult as he died a number of years ago.

He had the child onset form of Acromegaly called gigantism which is a thickening of the skeletal structure. There are heaps of other complications caused by this hormonal disorder such as diabetes and increased chances of colon cancer. Ultimately his heart conked out in '93. He was over 7ft tall.

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 14:26
65cm for me. I have no idea how that compares with Andre
:doctor:

wkid_one
9th January 2004, 14:49
Hasn't this thread been done in some form?

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 15:08
65cm for me. I have no idea how that compares with Andre
:doctor:

Is that all you got? Try 66cm with an abnormaly long stretch between crown and chin.

The only helmet I could get my light bulb shaped head into was a hjc full face or a agv semi open face (after trying for four weeks of sending away on sale or return to 7 manufacturers) like on the state add. Even then My jaw creates a seal around the chinguard if my hair gets to be any longer than a #4, this causes major problems with ventilation and means I can only comfortably ride for about an hour before my head starts to swell. :doh:

I used to wear a nz made brand 2peice (flip front)with a custom interior shell. But they are out of business. I'm told that overall these are safer as they allow some flex on impact. At high speed ie illegal speeds in nz they become less safe by comparison. I found my old flip face more convenient and more comfortable even before it was customised as there is less road noise.
JM2C

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 15:15
Is that all you got? Try 66cm with an abnormaly long stretch between crown and chin.

The only helmet I could get my light bulb shaped head into was a hjc full face or a agv semi open face (after trying for four weeks of sending away on sale or return to 7 manufacturers) like on the state add. Even then My jaw creates a seal around the chinguard if my hair gets to be any longer than a #4, this causes major problems with ventilation and means I can only comfortably ride for about an hour before my head starts to swell. :doh:

I used to wear a nz made brand 2peice (flip front)with a custom interior shell. But they are out of business. I'm told that overall these are safer as they allow some flex on impact. At high speed ie illegal speeds in nz they become less safe by comparison. I found my old flip face more convenient and more comfortable even before it was customised as there is less road noise.
JM2C
So what are you wearing at the moment? I've had no luck with HJC fit-wise.
:disapint:

James Deuce
9th January 2004, 15:23
65cm??? 66cm!!!!!?

Far out. Them's damn big craniums.

I had hydrocephaly as a baby, but thankfully my cranium returned to normal fairly rapidly after some plumbing was performed. I think mine was around 60cm at 4 weeks old. It's 58cm now so maybe its just my brain shrinking.

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 15:31
65cm??? 66cm!!!!!?

Far out. Them's damn big craniums.

I had hydrocephaly as a baby, but thankfully my cranium returned to normal fairly rapidly after some plumbing was performed. I think mine was around 60cm at 4 weeks old. It's 58cm now so maybe its just my brain shrinking.
The best collection of wisecracks aimed at the cranially challenged amongst is is in "So I married an axe murderer".
"A head so huge it looks like an orange on a stick" is a personal favourite...
:bleh:

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 15:43
So what are you wearing at the moment? I've had no luck with HJC fit-wise.
:disapint:
CL12 xxl Like I said when I first got it I had to go the skin route to get it on.

wkid_one
9th January 2004, 16:41
57-58cm here.....Shoei fits better than Arai. I was trying on MotoX helmets today - quite nice really.....

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 17:51
I don't have a big head, just motorcycle and accessory manufacturers assume no-one over 5'11 will ever want to ride.

Compared with the rest of me (seen from a distance) i look like I got a small noggin. :stoogie:

I would be more like a bowling ball sat on a bale of hay. ;)

What?
9th January 2004, 19:02
I have a Nolan N100E Flip-up that is just bloody brilliant.
Me too. Also wear a N70E and a Star open face (in the dirt - not on the road).
The N100 is no heavier than many fibreglass lids on the market.

sAsLEX
9th January 2004, 19:14
Currently wearing a HJC AC-10 King Mingus , gotta love that name :eek5:

sAsLEX
9th January 2004, 19:15
Currently wearing a HJC AC-10 King Mingus full face , gotta love that name :eek5:

georgedubyabush
9th January 2004, 19:38
Currently wearing a HJC AC-10 King Mingus full face , gotta love that name :eek5:

As do I. With the 'eyes' in the back of the head. WTF does King Mingus mean anyways? those crazy Koreans. :banana:

Lou Girardin
9th January 2004, 20:21
I went for a Nolan 100E, seems no heavier than my HJC Z7. It's aerodynamically neutral, but a little noisy. Ear plugs fix that.
It's really convienient not to have to take your lid off in banks etc.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Lou

onearmedbandit
9th January 2004, 21:31
2003 Arai Condor Blue Flagstar. Its got a flag and a star on it, and its blue. :confused2

Oh, Arai fits my strange head qute well, unlike a few others here. 57-58cm.

spudchucka
9th January 2004, 21:59
I've only ever worn an open face helmet in my old Harley riding days in Nth Queensland. These days purely full face. Don't care about graphics or brands so long as it keeps the brain from turning to soup.

LB
10th January 2004, 05:26
I forgot to say that my size is 57cm, or medium in Shoei. Way way back Bell used to do their helmets in 1cm size increases - don't think anyone does that now but it was amazing how 1cm makes a diff - I used to wear a 57 and one of my mates wore a 56 and I could really tell the difference when I tried his on (of course his was shaped already to his head, but even so.....)

A couple of years ago I almost bought a Suomy - in Ben Bostrom graphics of course. It felt pretty good, but I decided it was stupid to buy a new helmet just because I lusted after the guy who used to have those graphics a season previously (and of course who probably didn't even know NZ existed, let alone me). I'm glad I didn't buy it, as talking with a couple of mates who'd bought them after having top of the line Shoeis, they said in their opinions the Shoei was a superior helmet.

I also wear earplugs. I find the odd short trip that I don't wear them, I get alarmed hearing all the noise coming from my engine and chain.

Ogri
10th January 2004, 07:00
58cm here and I had a hell of a job trying to find somewhere where I could actually try a few different lids on.
Finally bought a Shoei XR1000 Size M, but if I had gone for the XR900 (old stock) I would have required a Large (totally different shell). Colour - plain old blue (to match the bike) and then I had it professionally graphic(ed) with the St Andrew's Cross and my name - totally wicked. Also had the bike done too - even more wicked.

Yamahamaman
11th January 2004, 20:18
My favourite lid is a Slight Replica Suomy. I don't use it so much now as Aaron autographed it for me at the Wanganui Cemetary Circuit road race 2002. Light and comfortable and would have no hesitation in purchasing another Suomy.

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 20:36
Now - I am looking in to a whole new helmet thing - with the whole trailie thing - any advice?

Drunken Monkey
11th January 2004, 22:21
Wouldn't wear anything but a full face. Spent way too much on dentistry in my life time to knock teeth out when a simple chin guard was all that was needed to save them :)

Hitcher
12th January 2004, 07:46
58cm here and I had a hell of a job trying to find somewhere where I could actually try a few different lids on.
Finally bought a Shoei XR1000 Size M, but if I had gone for the XR900 (old stock) I would have required a Large (totally different shell). Colour - plain old blue (to match the bike) and then I had it professionally graphic(ed) with the St Andrew's Cross and my name - totally wicked. Also had the bike done too - even more wicked.
That's interesting feedback. I wear an XR900 in a XXL (with inner styrene lovingly crushed to facilitate fit) and was wondering if the new XR1000 was a different set up. By the way, by the latest "Two Wheels" and have a squiz at some rad custom graphics you can get over there...
:wacko:

k14
12th January 2004, 10:49
Yeah, i have had the Shoei RF900 not sure what design (it has a big yellow star on the side) and that is really good. It is really comfortable and has a low amount of wind noise. With ear plugs in i hear hardly anything.

I got 2 tinted visors and a clear visor for it. The visor swapping over is so good, you can change in about 30 seconds and that would be the longest i have taken.

Might get an X11 at the end of the year, as the RF900 is sporting some "wounds" from earlier this year when i fell off :whistle:

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 19:06
Wear an open face most of the time,have done for thirty years.
Have a Davida jet that is more quite than my full face.
Only wear the full face if it's already raining when I leave home or I,m on a long trip.

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 21:00
The article I posted on a different thread

May change some peoples minds

James Deuce
12th January 2004, 21:13
Now - I am looking in to a whole new helmet thing - with the whole trailie thing - any advice?

One with a hole in the front so you can see. ;)

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 23:08
The article I posted on a different thread

May change some peoples minds
Why? it's just more of the same.
May as well just wrap ya' self in cotton wool an never step out the front door.
I really think most of us know the risks and take what ever form of protection
we feel comfortable with.

wkid_one
13th January 2004, 12:10
Yes Yes Jack - stick to your open face helmet - just don't expect us to peal your face off the road when you crash.....YUMMY

Having had a college friend who binned a bike in a open face helmet - this is the LAST form of protection I woudl choose for a helmet. Yeah your brain may be okay - but too bad if you have to eat through a straw whilst your facial structure is reconstruction (yes I am VAIN before you reply JR).

In saying that tho - your bike would look wrong if you had a full face on

Jackrat
13th January 2004, 13:45
This should be interesting.
Just how would my bike look any different depending on the helmet I wear.
Hell I look at it either way it looks the same to me.
I wear an open face because I like the feel,I don't like full faces because they make me feel closed in,as in may as well be in a car.
And as for anybody peeling me off the road,well don,t hold ya' breath,I am a natural survivor and I don't need any BS show of concern on behalf of somebody that don't know me or where I am coming from,It rings kind'a false .It's your attitude that gets you by,not the gear you wear,I thought you worked that out and thats why you spat the dummy.
And BTW I don't question how other bikers ride,what they ride,or what they wear while they ride.And before you start on the ACC thing,I pay my dues and also have my own private insurance.
But tell me,How would my bike look different? :lol:

wkid_one
13th January 2004, 16:29
For fucks sake - lighten the hell up.......

As for 'show of concern' - not fucken likely.. As for ACC - who cares and who am I to talk. As for your supposed 'ten foot tall, bullet proof and holier than thou' on a bike attitude - good luck.....you won't crash - I prefer to wear clothes on the eventually I may - I was always told - prevention is better than cure.

Maybe the Darwin Theory means you are supposed to wear a full face helmet....who I am to stand in the way

Jackrat
13th January 2004, 17:41
Yeah but you still havn't told me how my bike would look different :devil2:

spookey
19th April 2005, 12:32
Crashed with a full face then got a lone flip up...flip up would have done that considering where my head hit the kerb

Badcat
19th April 2005, 14:37
i wear a roof boxer flip up
http://www.roof.fr/ROOF%20ANGLAIS/Ero5boxer.htm
it's terrible in the rain - leaks like a seive - but looks MEAN...

and a full face CRAFT VR1 which is made by KBC (gotta love those $50 smoke visors) - it's a brilliant helmet - light and comfy.

I always wear an armoured jacket, my sidis and kevlar gloves. (of course, other clothes too)
i dress to fall off, because i fall off.
you may not fall off - or just be a double hard bastard, all power to you.

oh - and have you ever seen someone who hurt the BACK of their head in a motorcycle accident? i've seen a lot of facial damage from open face helmets, often women, often on scooters. i think i'd rather go without the back of my helmet than the front, but hey, i'm exceptionally beautiful.

ManDownUnder
19th April 2005, 15:08
Full face - no exceptions for me.

If I fall, or something hits me in the face, want to know there is something going to slow it down at the very least. The opssibility of part of it folding up (flip top) doesn't appeal. Likewise the option of nothing in front of my face...

I think anyone that's been riding more than a year or two has has a bee or stone WHACK! into their helmet...

Gees Louise, I don't want to have skin stopping that thing at 100kph ... ish...

As for falling and travelling face down along ashfelt.... shudder

Nope... simple but effective full face for me. If I want air, I buy one with vents, and or open the visior.

MDU

Flyingpony
19th April 2005, 16:29

:first: :)

I think anyone that's been riding more than a year or two has has a bee or stone WHACK! into their helmet...

I hate stones hitting the helmet. Then I've to buy a new plastic thingamagigee because Murphy's law said it will hit right where you look too. :Pokey:

Motu
19th April 2005, 17:00
I've been riding for 35 yrs and never had a stone hit my helmet...or my head when I didn't wear a helmet - but I'm pretty short,maybe they all go over my head?...

Pixie
19th April 2005, 17:05

If I fall, or something hits me in the face, want to know there is something going to slow it down at the very least. The opssibility of part of it folding up (flip top) doesn't appeal. Likewise the option of nothing in front of my face...

Gees Louise, I don't want to have skin stopping that thing at 100kph ... ish...

As for falling and travelling face down along ashfelt.... shudder

Nope... simple but effective full face for me. If I want air, I buy one with vents, and or open the visior.

MDU
If you think a Nolan N100 can flip up on it's own ,you obviously have never locked at the locking system.Anything that would do that would also rip you head off.

Skyryder
19th April 2005, 18:43
I've got a Rex flip-up.With this helmet I can just lift up the plastic visor if I need to have a scratch, etc. Nice feature this but at speed and into the wind the plastic visor can lift an inch or two. No vision problems but a little disconterting.

The down side is that the flip-up visor has a habit of falling down if I am riding with it up. This has happened twice and is caused by the two nuts that hold the swilveling mechanism in place, being loose due to the contand opening and closing of the vissor. Now I check them on a regular basis, usually when I pull of the plastic visor for a clean. One thing I like about the flip up is in town you can ride with the wind in your face and as soon as you want to stretch your legs just pull it down.............and go.

Skyryder

Wolf
20th April 2005, 15:26
Have used open face in the past (in conjunction with air-force styled goggles) and had a bee strike me just between the top of the goggles and the top of the opening in the helmet - quite a nasty sensation as it promptly stung the thing that "attacked" it.

Normally wear full-face. Would like a flip-up like one of the Nolans. A friend of mine wears one and says it's easier when putting your glasses on than feeding them through the opening in a full-face. I also like the idea that if I'm just stopping for a short rest I could have a drink without pissing about taking off glasses then helmet then putting helmet then glasses back on.

Lou Girardin
20th April 2005, 15:39
Once you've used a flip front, especially for commuting, you don't go back.
Abuse directed at cagers doesn't get muffled.

yoggo
21st April 2005, 17:49
Anyone know what the new FFMs are like - looking for a white helmet - not a lot around except for cheapo cirrus & FFM - is the FFM K3 flip-up any good?

thanks

Y.

Grizz
26th May 2005, 20:49
Anyone know what the new FFMs are like - looking for a white helmet - not a lot around except for cheapo cirrus & FFM - is the FFM K3 flip-up any good?

thanks

Y.

Exactly the same as me, I was looking for a white helmet and just bought the FFM K3 today as the idea of a flip top appeals to me, it does feel a bit heavier, but the true test will be when I go for a ride as I tend to get buffeted a lot, and hopefully it won't leak if I get caught in the rain. I won't be using the bike until the weekend but will let you know how it goes.

zadok
26th May 2005, 21:42
Full-face KBC helmet.
Judging by the poll, I would say open-face is predominantly a Harley thing, and there are few K.B Harley riders.

Pixie
26th May 2005, 21:56
I've been riding for 35 yrs and never had a stone hit my helmet...or my head when I didn't wear a helmet - but I'm pretty short,maybe they all go over my head?...
I was hit by a stone with enough energy to jerk my head back, :no:

Holy Roller
26th May 2005, 21:58
I prefer the open face though I have a full face for when the weather cuts up rough. Now I have a big screen up in front I don't get so many bugs in my beard anymore. :ride:

Lou Girardin
27th May 2005, 09:01
I'd avoid cheap flip fronts if possible. The latch mechanisms aren't usually as durable as dearer models. Check to see if the latches are metal or plastic.

XP@
27th May 2005, 09:52
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/roof-helmet/roof-boxer/roof-boxer.jpg
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/roof-helmet/roof-boxer/roof-boxer-flip.jpg

Home page http://www.roof.fr/

Eurodave
27th May 2005, 10:03
Man, now theres a couple of COOL helmets!!!esp the pilot styles with the dark visor & facemask- help keep out bloody diesel fumes? Pity no NZ dealer/importer? Lazer do a similar style but again not bought in

XP@
27th May 2005, 10:12
Man, now theres a couple of COOL helmets!!!esp the pilot styles with the dark visor & facemask- help keep out bloody diesel fumes? Pity no NZ dealer/importer? Lazer do a similar style but again not bought in
Yeh, the plan is... win lotto, buy plane ticket, eat a croixante and buy a Roof...

thehollowmen
27th May 2005, 16:21
Wife and I purchased flipups today
They're great with glasses / sunglasses

pete376403
27th May 2005, 23:14

thanks

Y.
I have a white FFM K3. Cheap at $200 but (I assume) it meets all the relevant safety standards. Weight is advertised as 1700gm + or- 3 and thats what it weighs on the digital scales. Seems as comfortable as, and no more leaky than the BMW System III it replaced. (Visors are no longer available for the BMW)
It must make me look like a cop, as cars seem to move over when I come up behind

DingDong
28th May 2005, 09:27
If you ride, you will eventually hit the deck. see www.rotten.com to see what an open face helmet does not protect... you'll need to search for it, very graphic... I've seen many injuries but It sickens me to view this image.
If you can handle such things, go for it (only if your disturbed)

Get a good quality full face $300+

Cheers

Badcat
28th May 2005, 10:16
i have a roof boxer.
it looks the biscuits, but leaks and rain manages to sneak past the closed visor into little needles...
the closure mechanism is very basic also - using fabric-type domes like a cheap pair of jeans...
only buy one for its looks IMHO.

Eurodave
28th May 2005, 10:57
i have a roof boxer.
it looks the biscuits, but leaks and rain manages to sneak past the closed visor into little needles...
the closure mechanism is very basic also - using fabric-type domes like a cheap pair of jeans...
only buy one for its looks IMHO.

Bugger, that may have shattered my illusions!!
Can you post a pic perchance?

Badcat
28th May 2005, 11:12
Bugger, that may have shattered my illusions!!
Can you post a pic perchance?

try this:
http://www.kenkong.com/album/album.php?albumId=82&libraryId=36&personId=3
although it now has a black visor.

k

XP@
28th May 2005, 11:30
try this:
http://www.kenkong.com/album/album.php?albumId=82&libraryId=36&personId=3
although it now has a black visor.

k
Still looks good though :-)

bummer about the leaking, kinda makes them usless if you ride in all weather :(

Badcat
28th May 2005, 11:32
Still looks good though :-)

bummer about the leaking, kinda makes them usless if you ride in all weather :(
yep - totally useless.
k

sunhuntin
28th May 2005, 11:49
i used to wear a full face, but got used to the "pudding bowls" while in canada and find the full ones too stifling now. i wear instead an open one that has a visor that can be attached. but i dont use that either as i found it catches the wind and makes it hard for the person im riding with to keep the bike in control. so i simply wear an open one with sunglasses and maybe something over my mouth and nose once winter really sets in.

FROSTY
28th May 2005, 11:55
I wear a full face,an open face and a MX helmet -friggin hard to get em all on at the same time.
The open face is for test rides when mechanicing on the bike--I find I can hear whats going on better. The other two lids are self explainetary.