PDA

View Full Version : Gloves!

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 11:12
Well well.. rode to work this morning...

and goodness gracious me... COLD fingers! very cold this morning.

Anyways.. Would just like to know what the general opinion is and what people wear Gloves wise..

Whats the best?
Whats practical and in peoples opinion essential?

Please let me know...

TerminalAddict
15th August 2005, 13:44
I recently purchased some gloves off trademe.
they are excellent for the money I think
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=30851150

clint640
15th August 2005, 15:16
If you're on a budget have a look in the shop for the cheap ($40-50) unbranded winter weight leather gloves, the ones with ribs above yer knuckles & suede index & middle fingers. I had a pair for years & they did good. held up in a couple of crashes. A bit of sno-seal every now & then & they'll stay fairly waterproof. When they finally wore out I got some flash $100+ Orina's which although very warm & dry, promptly started coming apart at the seams. Those $300 electric heated ones look like the bizzo if $ is not a problem.

Cheers
Clint

Hitcher
15th August 2005, 15:25
Gloves should:
- Fit nicely
- Not impede your ability to use all controls
- Be appropriate for seasonal conditions (I have summer, between-seasons, and winter models)
- Offer some protection (i.e. not made out of cotton or synthetic fabric other than kevlar)
- Always be worn when riding a motorbike.

Those criteria met, then fanny around with fashion, features and affordability.

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 15:28
Hitcher.. what are your winter models??

I've got Spidi NK2 (and my fingers were freaking cold this morning =(

Hitcher
15th August 2005, 15:35
Hitcher.. what are your winter models??

I've got Spidi NK2 (and my fingers were freaking cold this morning =(
Spidi H2Outs. Which, at the moment, are capable of keeping the H2O out...

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 15:51
Was thinking of wearing thermal's with the Spidi's NK2 (also H2Outs)... Though I guess I'll have to try them on, to see if I lose any grip or whatever ... hmm

Pancakes
15th August 2005, 15:51
Laether slides and can be re-proofed with sno-seal or similar, if your looking on trademe, a guy called Rick Luissi does a heap of bike gear at reasonable prices. His user name is madmax5.

Slipstream
15th August 2005, 15:56
I have Spidi gloves...and I love them. They have a lining and are small...not that puffy kind of glove you can get...I find that when they get wet, they take longer to dry.

I also hear that electric heated handgrips are the go too :ride:

sunhuntin
16th August 2005, 14:22
i have 2 pair of leather. one thin pair for day/summer riding, and another bigger pair that fits over the summer ones. that way i just take the smaller pair out to dry them. my hands still get cold in both pairs, but i dont want to go any thicker till i can feel the controls without thinking and glancing. the bigger pair are slightly gauntlet style, so they come over my sleeve which helps keep the wind out a bit.

my partner gets really cold hands at times and since he does most of his riding at night, he has heated hand grips and also heated glove, but he rarely uses those due to the weight from the batteries.

DemonWolf
16th August 2005, 14:29
I might have a look into heated hand grips... could be an option. =)

Beemer
16th August 2005, 16:12

They are wonderful - I have them on the Beemer and they really make a difference. Even when it is really cold, that warmth on the bars means your hands don't freeze up. I used to get aching hands when riding in winter but the heated grips are great. Wish you could get battery operated heated gloves for pillions, then I'd be made!

Lou Girardin
16th August 2005, 16:18
Heated grips = around $100 - $120 at your friendly local bike shop. Spidi silk liners also help and don't make gloves too bulky. Or you could order them from AMPS.

Zookey
16th August 2005, 16:26
Go to Motor Mail and you will find an array of prices and kinds but Clint is right on with his reply.
Cheers Don

James Deuce
16th August 2005, 16:27
Teknic Thunder for Antarctic/Wet conditions. Icon Patrol for anything over 5 degrees C, and a nice pair of Orina vented gloves for hot weather.

TonyB
16th August 2005, 17:01
Get them! I've got Daytona heated grips and would never go back. No need for bulky or even lined gloves. Even if your gloves get soaked through your hands will still be warm. On the odd occasion where its ridiculously cold and the hands are getting chilled even with them on (5 watts in each hand), all I do is put them on "Start" for a bit- 25 watts of glorious heat in each hand ahhhhhhhh!

Hitcher
16th August 2005, 17:05
25 watts of glorious heat in each hand ahhhhhhhh!
Thanks for that bit of useful information. I had noted that "start" was a lot warmer than "on". Now I know exactly how much.

DemonWolf
17th August 2005, 15:54
Cheers guys... Must look into the heated grips =)

Thanks for all the good info

NC
18th August 2005, 16:51
I have red gloves and yellow gloves...

ZorsT
18th August 2005, 19:46
I have thin polyprop gloves that i wear under my other gloves. They make LOTS of difference

Hitcher
18th August 2005, 20:48
Silk liners are good too.

hondacmx450
19th August 2005, 12:38
heated grips the girls like heated grips and you will too

sunhuntin
19th August 2005, 12:49
They are wonderful - I have them on the Beemer and they really make a difference. Even when it is really cold, that warmth on the bars means your hands don't freeze up. I used to get aching hands when riding in winter but the heated grips are great. Wish you could get battery operated heated gloves for pillions, then I'd be made!

beemer...my old man has battery operated gloves like what your after. the only thing he doesnt like is the weight of the batteries. i havent used them, so dont know how well they work. not sure if you can get them over here [hes canadian] but likely around somewhere.

Groins_NZ
19th August 2005, 22:37
Gloves, gloves, gloves... gloves gloves!

There's so many to choose from them isn't there...

Anyway, my 2 cents - Icebreaker merino/silk liners $29 @ some camping shops near you :msn-wink:

They are thinner than the ole polyprop gloves and SUPER warm.

zadok
19th August 2005, 22:46
I have red gloves and yellow gloves...
Colour coordinated? What colour is your jacket?

DemonWolf
25th August 2005, 06:20
argh! Rode to NP yesterday arvo.. had a appointment with the Tenancy Tribunal (ex-landlord was being cunty) and it obviously rained.. and quite heavily in sections.. just before inglewood.. the water run off from my jacket seeped into my gloves! ugh.. not very nice..

How do other people wear their gauntlet style gloves.. over the top of there jacket sleeve? or tucked in underneath?

The other gear I brought... was all good. =)

Zookey
26th August 2005, 12:01
Good Bike lol,should have a an extra VS for the rain ,then you can get soaky elbows;Serious now Gloves inside jacket and carry a roll of "All Blacks" ear tape,rap around ya glove ta jacket.sweet as.cheers Don.
GO THE BLACKS Saturday. :Punk:

Ixion
26th August 2005, 13:36
Gloves inside, gloves outside, neither works. Jacket inside gloves, water runs down sleeve into glove. Jacket outside gloves, water blows up inside jacket (jacket sleeve is nicely horizontal) , soaks sleeve, then runs down back into gloves . What is needed is the equivalent of gaiters.Or , as suggested, duct tape. Not very satisfactory that, though

sunhuntin
28th August 2005, 15:24
with my gauntlet style gloves, i wear the "sleeve" of the glove over the sleeve of my jacket. seems to work ok.