PDA

View Full Version : WEBBS Classic Bike Auction

Paul in NZ
20th February 2013, 10:45
Oh Dear...

http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction/vintage-motorcycles-and-industrial-design

Good for the owner but these prices are rather sucking the fun out of things.... Still - the market will decide...

Voltaire
20th February 2013, 11:42
The Commando has' steel tank and covers'.....and "Mikuni Carb Upgrade"...... " akront rims" .....

First thing I would do is toss the Jap carb " upgrade" and fit some new Amal 32's and original filter.,,,don't want no stink'n japanese parts on my

Commando.:rolleyes:

Paul in NZ
20th February 2013, 11:46
Assuming you could afford new carbs after buying it.... Those prices are eye watering...

Ocean1
20th February 2013, 12:34
That Maico would be tempting at not much less than rrp.

But if I bought it I'd have to ride it, which means I'd have my nose rubbed in the fact that it's nowhere near as quick as either my memory or my 525.

HenryDorsetCase
20th February 2013, 12:42
I quite like the Indians and some of the Harley Hyphen Davidsons. Particularly the bakers van one. Not enough to go into debt again to buy it though.

and some of the vintage dirtbikes.

Today I learned you could buy a parallel twin Indian.

Paul in NZ
20th February 2013, 12:55

Yes - yes you can but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to ride it... Bit like a parallel twin Ducati

HenryDorsetCase
20th February 2013, 13:14
Yes - yes you can but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to ride it... Bit like a parallel twin Ducati

I know of someone who has (or maybe had) an early 1970's dirtbike with a two stroke engine badged Indian. I'd quite like to take one of those to the national rally.

Imagine the money you could make if you had the Harley hyphen Davidson bakers van at the HOG rally, and were selling donuts and bacon sandwiches out of it. Pay for itself in a week.

Zedder
20th February 2013, 13:26
I know of someone who has (or maybe had) an early 1970's dirtbike with a two stroke engine badged Indian. I'd quite like to take one of those to the national rally.

Imagine the money you could make if you had the Harley hyphen Davidson bakers van at the HOG rally, and were selling donuts and bacon sandwiches out of it. Pay for itself in a week.

Which other Harley hyphens do you like HDC?

HenryDorsetCase
20th February 2013, 13:32
Which other Harley hyphens do you like HDC?

Sportsters generally but particularly Nightster, 48 and XR1200. I dont like bling for blings sake so that dark custom line works for me. Rather a 1200 than an 883. I would love an XLCR or an XR1000.

The Billy bike from Easy rider.

Any XR750 including the one at McIver and Veitch.

In that list that 1960 DuoGlide gets me all excited (though quite blingy). A WLA or WLC might be nice. (Particularly if all cafe'd up)

MIXONE
20th February 2013, 13:56
If only I knew then what I know now...

Zedder
20th February 2013, 14:09
Sportsters generally but particularly Nightster, 48 and XR1200. I dont like bling for blings sake so that dark custom line works for me. Rather a 1200 than an 883. I would love an XLCR or an XR1000.

The Billy bike from Easy rider.

Any XR750 including the one at McIver and Veitch.

In that list that 1960 DuoGlide gets me all excited (though quite blingy). A WLA or WLC might be nice. (Particularly if all cafe'd up)

Yep, with you on those. I hired an XL1200C for a week in the USA a few years back, good fun.

Most of the guys I worked with in roading there had a Harley hyphen of some type so I got to try a few out.

Voltaire
20th February 2013, 14:13

I'd like one of those...and a Ducati scooter.:drool:

Maha
20th February 2013, 14:18
Bought as an investment only....surely?...some of those would be trailered to a show twice a year and spend the other 363 days under a sheet in the garage.

HenryDorsetCase
20th February 2013, 14:20
Bought as an investment only....surely?...some of those would be trailered to a show twice a year and spend the other 363 days under a sheet in the garage.

with bank deposit rates so low, if you pick wisely and look after your investment I reckon you could do bloody well out of it.

Five years ago I wanted to use $30k (off our mortgage so cost of money etc) to buy a fleet of classic Jap bikes before prices went mental. All the ones I picked would have at least doubled in value. Could I convince SWMBO? Like fuck.

Voltaire
20th February 2013, 15:25
I spent all my yoof money on shitbox cars and motorcycles.....should have bought a run down villa in Grey Lynn......
I bought my Ducati in sydney in 1987 for about 5K NZ.....the terrace house next store sold for about 70K nz......I'm guessing it would be over a mill now. I take the Ducati out the odd time.....you cant do that with a house...:lol:
I don't think you should buy motorcycles purely as an investment. They were built to ride maaannnnn......

pete376403
20th February 2013, 21:29
I quite like the Indians and some of the Harley Hyphen Davidsons. Particularly the bakers van one. Not enough to go into debt again to buy it though.

and some of the vintage dirtbikes.

Royal Enfield Interceptors were sold as Indians by Floyd Clymer. IIRC they were Rickman framed.

avgas
20th February 2013, 21:54
I hate artsy fuckers who make online magazines then don't let you download them/print them as a full pdf. What was the fucking point of making an online only version. I don't use internet in the shitter.

Paul in NZ
21st February 2013, 07:04
Royal Enfield Interceptors were sold as Indians by Floyd Clymer. IIRC they were Rickman framed.

I think The rickmans purchased a shed load of engines destined for 'Indian' after Clymer stopped making them thus there was a rickman interceptor. There were a lot more with a Velocette 500 engine and they command big $$ now. Not sure if Clymer ever sold the twins directly.

But - I was referring to the earlier parallel twin using (I think) a horrible brockhouse twin. From memory they were scouts and warriors or some such nonsense. They look 'wrong' and went even wronger....

BigAl
28th February 2013, 09:31
Some tasty stuff here http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction/vintage-motorcycles-and-industrial-design

I'd love the waterbucket:drool:

HenryDorsetCase
28th February 2013, 09:51
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/156771-WEBBS-Auction

Paul in NZ
4th March 2013, 14:22
Someone at work showed me the catalogue for the auction. VERY nice pictures - nice bikes etc etc but the general consensus is that I'm going to have to stop riding the 1970 TR6C (guide price for their minter 69 version $18 to $20K) or the cruddy Mk2 LeMans (Mk1 or LeMans 850 for the pendants is waaay cooler and guide price is $12 to $18K)...

Shit - I can't afford motorcycles like this? What was I thinking....

Bikemad
5th March 2013, 20:23
went and had a drool today..............can't say i'm a hog fan but this is one i would be happy to see in my garage..........
http://www.webbs.co.nz/auction-item/1960-harley-davidson-duo-glide

SpankMe
10th March 2013, 09:29
Saw the bikes lined up outside as I went past today. Had to stop for a drool. :drool: