PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please...1200 Bandits

kiwisfly
15th August 2005, 12:21
Hey team!
New to the group. After years off bikes (previously GSX1100, GPZ750, GT550 etc) & lately puttering to work on an old DR250 I'm looking at the Suki 1200 Bandit's either new or 2nd hand? New are $10,000 which seems reasonable but why so cheap? Also any opinions on the choose of bike & any other recomendations, just trying to think of consideration I havnt covered? General need is day to day commuting here in Wellington & rides in the weekend (kids have got old enough the wife & I can get a leg over & get away...so to speak)!
Cheers in advance.

Silage
15th August 2005, 12:46
Hi WS and welcome to the (generally helpful) madness here.

I understand it is the naked Bandit that is $10k with the fared on at around $13k. $10k sounds a very good price (the GS1200 was that last year for the tail-end 2002 models). It could be that Suzuki are trying to flick them off before a new model is released ??

sels1
15th August 2005, 13:00
welcome aboard Whole Shabang. The 1200 bandit is certainly good buying at its current price. Been meaning to take one for a test ride but not got round to it.

Hitcher
15th August 2005, 15:33
The Bandit is good value indeed at current prices. Buy the blue and white one that WMC has in stock. The rest look shite. And if you're going to buy a new muscle bike, don't ride anything else. That way you'll love it...

Paul in NZ
15th August 2005, 15:47
The Bandit is good value indeed at current prices. Buy the blue and white one that WMC has in stock. The rest look shite. And if you're going to buy a new muscle bike, don't ride anything else. That way you'll love it...

Good thinking! It's why I rate my Guzzi so highly....

kerryg
15th August 2005, 16:10
Hey team!
New to the group. After years off bikes (previously GSX1100, GPZ750, GT550 etc) & lately puttering to work on an old DR250 I'm looking at the Suki 1200 Bandit's either new or 2nd hand? New are $10,000 which seems reasonable but why so cheap? Also any opinions on the choose of bike & any other recomendations, just trying to think of consideration I havnt covered? General need is day to day commuting here in Wellington & rides in the weekend (kids have got old enough the wife & I can get a leg over & get away...so to speak)!
Cheers in advance.

In the past few years I've owned one of these, amd a GS1200s, and a GSX1200y, and a few GSXR1100s, and an XJR1200 , and an FZR100......I should stop, the depths of my foolishness greatly exceed the depths of my pockets. The Bandit has an old (mid-80s) technology oil/air cooled engine in a steel frame, with very limited suspension adjustments and fairly middle-of-the road componentry. Only 5 speeds. Carbs, not injected. Conventional forks. No bells or whistles. But it's IMHO greater than the sum of its parts. They're plenty pwerful enough for most riders (100hp odd at the crank from memory), good riding position for the older (more pear-shaped) rider, great with a pillion, will tour or scratch very capably. Not a crotch rocket, not gazillions of screaming RPM, so the younger and more flamboyant members of this forum would not disdain to sit upon one, let alone own one, but for 99% of riders their capability will run out before the bike's. I reckon they're great, and that engine is one of the most trusted and robust around.

DemonWolf
15th August 2005, 16:17
Welcome to KB Whole Shabang

calmone
15th August 2005, 16:23
Hey team!
Cheers in advance.
Hi Kerry I have just purchased a new K4 1200 Bandit after getting back into biking over the last 18 months and have done about 1200kms mostly in the rain over the last 5 weeks. They are very good value for money, they might not be as sophisticated as some others on the market but are in most cases half the price. I fitted a GIVI screen and after market muffler to mine. Riding position is good (for a senior like me) and on a recent 350km run found out just how fast they are in a straight line and around corners. There are lots of websites with postings on them which give a good idea of there capabilities. If you look at used pricing they also stack up well. As I said before great value for the money. Dick

Ninja
15th August 2005, 18:10
Not a bad choice Kerry. Very good value for money. I have ridden one in a wheelie school back in the uk and trained a couple of guys for their advanced test who ride 1200 bandits. No complaints from them at all. Only things to be aware of...they are oil/air cooled so don't like heavy traffic and have a fairly high centre of gravity (top heavy). Other than that they are highly recommended.

Best of luck,

Ninja
www.RiderSkills.co.nz

Hailwood
15th August 2005, 21:13
Hi and welcome to the madness that is KB. I was in a similar position to you several months ago in trying to find something to upgrade to. Rode a Blackbird (fast and comfy..possibly too fast for me), ZRX1100..not my liking, XJR1300 quite nice and comfy and a 2000 GSX1220Y which I ended up buying from TSS in Alicetown. I understand it has the same engine as the Bandit and is a great bike to ride...enough torque to make life a breeze and comfy with a pillion...go and ride everything you can find and then make a decision. Good position to be in too having to ride all sorts of bikes before you decide on one...enjoy.. :Punk:

Pixie
16th August 2005, 00:18
Luvley luvley :ride:

mstriumph
16th August 2005, 01:42
it's been recommended to me as a possible replacement for the trumpy ---- i need something with a button start, less angst and more oomph
but i'm not keen on the 'middle-aged' image being portrayed here
[ok - mebbe i am but i like to think i don't RIDE like that :oi-grr: ]
sooooo is it something a reasonable rider could improve riding? or is it a dead end? am i gonna be overtaken by stationary pushbikes? are small children gonna point at me and laff??

Hi Kerry I have just purchased a new K4 1200 Bandit after getting back into biking over the last 18 months and have done about 1200kms mostly in the rain over the last 5 weeks. They are very good value for money, they might not be as sophisticated as some others on the market but are in most cases half the price. I fitted a GIVI screen and after market muffler to mine. Riding position is good (for a senior like me) and on a recent 350km run found out just how fast they are in a straight line and around corners. There are lots of websites with postings on them which give a good idea of there capabilities. If you look at used pricing they also stack up well. As I said before great value for the money. Dick

Indiana_Jones
16th August 2005, 01:53
You want a FXR150 :D
Just not my one, it's a piece of poo lol, and no one say 'take it to frosty' :woohoo:

-Indy

mstriumph
16th August 2005, 01:57
Indy - Frosty has been BEGGING you to take it to him for megayonks!!

and no - i most decidedly DON'T want one - ta

in fact, i'd rather ............ oh hell - isn't upbringing a KILLER??? i can't TELL you wat i think about your suggestion without severely compromising ---- erm ----- mutter mutter mutter

You want a FXR150 :D
Just not my one, it's a piece of poo lol, and no one say 'take it to frosty' :woohoo:

-Indy

LB
16th August 2005, 04:07
Don't forget the GS1200SS is a good buy too - something like $10,000 grand brand new? Retro looking. Hamish (hubby) has one. Feel free to PM (private message - click on my user name in this message to get the option list) me if you'd like to have a look/chat about his - we're in Wgtn too.

Thought about a Ducati? Loads of accessories available........(for you as well as the bike).....

pritch
16th August 2005, 08:27
Just this last weekend I went for a ride with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. He has a Bandit and loves it. Compared to the Hornet the bandit is now $1000 cheaper, similar horsepower, somewhat more torque, and less tank range, and it seems one less gear.

Wouldn't worry too much about the older generation liking it, the Brit bike mags generally refer to it as a hooligan bike.

If you get one, do learn two-finger braking. The brakes on current bikes might be a lot more effective than what you were used to....

kiwisfly
16th August 2005, 10:51
Thanks folks!

Appreciate your input, I think it has underpinned my choice in going the bandit way, except...
:ride: LB, you mentioned a Ducati. Always thought hmmm exotic therfore expensive to own & run ie parts? Is this the case cause there seems to be a drop in prices with all the import bikes?
:ride: pritch008, thanks for the tip. 2 finger braking eh, now there's a another use for 2 fingers other than bloody motorist @ roundabouts!

Memorable experiences in far gone days were of the comradiere (sp?) that biking bought & I'm certainly "feeling the (mad) love" here so once again thanks. I can see wasted hours spent here in the forums sounding knowledgable & dishing shit!

Cheers Mark

Lou Girardin
16th August 2005, 11:38
Great bike. I've got a K2 with airbox mods and dynojet kit, Ohlins rear and traxxion fork springs. It's got more than enough grunt to stay with sprotbikes in the twisty's, only loses out over 180 - 200 k's. But you don't have to wring it's neck to travel quickly, 'cos it's got TORQUES, the things that let you haul nearly 200 kg's of rider, pillion and luggage without wearing out your boots dancing on the shift lever.
The savings don't stop with the purchase price either, all maintenance can be done yourself at home. Valves have adjusters not shims, everything else is easy-peasey to get at.
I like 'em enough to get a noo one.

kerryg
16th August 2005, 12:02
but i'm not keen on the 'middle-aged' image being portrayed here
[ok - mebbe i am but i like to think i don't RIDE like that :oi-grr: ]
sooooo is it something a reasonable rider could improve riding? or is it a dead end? am i gonna be overtaken by stationary pushbikes? are small children gonna point at me and laff??

FWIW my first bike after not riding for about 20 years was a ZZR1100. One test ride and I was hooked. The power!!!! :ride: Woo hoo!!!! A couple of months later I sold it. Gave myself a helluva of a fright on it. If you're coming back to riding after a long break or stepping up from a small-bore bike I think there are some risks associated with stepping into a hard out sport bike like an R1 or GSXR1000 or even their mid-weight siblings. The Kwaka 636 makes 120hp plus and only weighs what a 250 used to. Comes down to what your riding aptitude and experience is (mine's not that great, I am forced to admit, having done a few track days now and realised how slow I am) and also equally importantly what kind of riding you're planning. If you want to go touring, or do the odd track day, or just tootle around with the missus on the weekend, or have a quick fang in the countryside, you can choose your weapon accordingly. The Bandit does all those things well, not excellently, but well. If your budget stretches to it there are a vast range of choices but bang for buck the big air-oil cooled Suzukis are great value. As Linda said, you could consider a GS1200ss as well (or a GSX1200Y)and unless you're a really skilled rider I doubt you'll find their limits. My 2 cents.

Zookey
16th August 2005, 16:41
Quite awsome for a naked bike and dont let youself be fooled by the prices;Suzuki and their dealers dont rob you blind like some others we want mention,as for the bike ,Went out cruising with My son on his Firestorm and my Haya and the boys mate on his Bandit,doing 220 on a certain stretch and when the bandito came along side sitting on his rear wheel,Got it. :motu:

kiwisfly
16th August 2005, 16:59
Quite awsome for a naked bike and dont let youself be fooled by the prices;Suzuki and their dealers dont rob you blind like some others we want mention,as for the bike ,Went out cruising with My son on his Firestorm and my Haya and the boys mate on his Bandit,doing 220 on a certain stretch and when the bandito came along side sitting on his rear wheel,Got it.

...very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry
Yeh, the tension between going high end or aiming round the mid range. Not having the mates around now that used to provoke you to leave your brains at home & go for a scream to Palmy for an ice-cream will help!
Old age (43) and I hate to say it, wisdom has got the better of me!

mstriumph
17th August 2005, 02:05
thanks guys - will ride it an keep everyone posted :ride:

can't say that i've ever been wise though :drinkup:

LB
17th August 2005, 05:35
Thanks folks!

Appreciate your input, I think it has underpinned my choice in going the bandit way, except...
:ride: LB, you mentioned a Ducati. Always thought hmmm exotic therfore expensive to own & run ie parts? Is this the case cause there seems to be a drop in prices with all the import bikes?

Cheers Mark

I was just shit stirring really.....you're probably better off with a Bandit, unless you really want a Duc.

Horrible Henry
30th March 2006, 10:12
Hi and welcome to the madness that is KB. I was in a similar position to you several months ago in trying to find something to upgrade to. Rode a Blackbird (fast and comfy..possibly too fast for me), ZRX1100..not my liking, XJR1300 quite nice and comfy and a 2000 GSX1220Y which I ended up buying from TSS in Alicetown. I understand it has the same engine as the Bandit and is a great bike to ride...enough torque to make life a breeze and comfy with a pillion...go and ride everything you can find and then make a decision. Good position to be in too having to ride all sorts of bikes before you decide on one...enjoy.. :Punk:

Heh heh, the bike's mine now and it goes just nicely thank you. Err, the ignition is really finicky though. Sometimes takes a bit of prolonged wiggling to get the key to turn. What did you do?

Krusti
30th March 2006, 11:09
Had a 96 Bandit when they first came out...Awesome 2 up wheely bike!

Used to carry kitchen sink 2 up to rallies.

Never missed a beat. The pillion liked rear seat. Pulled like a Catholic school boy from 1500 revs.

Downside....chassis/suspension although new models have been improved. Is a tourer/sport though so can't expect everthing. They are a heap of fun!

Downside 2...seemed very hungry on fuel.

Still miss that bike at times.

Bonez
30th March 2006, 15:58
Old age (43) and I hate to say it, wisdom has got the better of me!43 IS NOT OLD AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!:gob: And as for wisdom were do you find that? :scratch: .

Morepower
31st March 2006, 19:24
Buy an SV 1000 S , at $12,500 they are great value and in a different century to the Bandit. You will thank me in time.
Oh yeah dont worry about the riding position , you will get used to it , I am 40ish + and the TL's fine
Dave

Edbear
31st March 2006, 20:20
For what it's worth,the GS1200ss has 2mm smaller carbs which makes it particularly economical, but with a pipe, esp. a full Yoshi system it gets about 120hp and of course you derestrict the speedlimiter as it's a Japanese domestic model... Only complaints I've heard are from testers that the screen can induce a bit of buffeting at certain speeds.

moko
2nd April 2006, 05:34
tail-end 2002 models). It could be that Suzuki are trying to flick them off before a new model is released ??

Jimmie`s right,just had a new model here,like the 650 Bandit it`s more a case of a few tweaks rather than a major overhaul with ABS as standard on the S(faired)models.New fairing is way better-looking than past efforts

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/model.asp?id=106

Dont know where the "middle-aged" bit came from,they`ve traditionally been popular with guys here who like plenty of grunt but dont want a sports bike,and by the way the average age of bikers here is knocking on for 39 though kids are getting interested again.Bloody good bikes,usual rot problems in the U.K. but pretty much irrelavent in N.Z. If having the latest is a big deal to you hang on for the new model,me I`d pile in and get myself a good deal.