PDA

View Full Version : Bike Costs

wkid_one
9th January 2004, 14:47
Wow - seeing as I am now moving on to the great realm of past bikers 'Fell Off, Can't Ride, so giving it up' Club - I did a tally up to see what the priviledge of owning a bike cost me per year...well - bugger me....

Registration say $230pa
Petrol say $25pw (Only weekends - two fills 400km average)
Tyres say $600/6 months
Loan $250pfn (yes my choice)
Insurance say $100pm
Servicing say $250/6 mths

--> the loan payment is obviously higher than normal payments, but this is at my choice

This amounts to a shit load of money....$4680 excluding the loan.....this means - assuming I ride the bike once a week it is costing me $90pd to ride the bike - I am better off to hire the bike. This doesn't include the poor weather weekends where you can't ride.

Now, if I add the loan cost in to the bike - thats another $6000.

This excludes things like chains, sprockets, etc which happen. Lube etc is also omitted as this lasts ages and costs feck all.

Now - me is content with sitting in an air conditioned car with the music on, being able to carry more than a box of matches and a block of butter, being able to (if I had some) take more than one person, being able to actually just grab the keys and go without doing the 'Getting My Leathers On' Boogie, arrive somewhere in shorts and a singlet and without sweat dripping down my back.....but I still will miss biking.

The bike is now repaired - and shit I am nostalgic........but at that cost - it just isn't economic to keep it......add in to that paying the excess and my increase in insurance premiums from the accident........

Hitcher
9th January 2004, 15:03
Man that is a sad story Wk1d. And here's me having left my violin at home...
:D

Big Dog
9th January 2004, 15:32
Man that is a sad story Wk1d. And here's me having left my violin at home...
:D
You'll be back. It aint about the money.

She's a vicious mistress is biking.

Heres 12 reasons I think you will be back, like it or not!
1. The more money you have the more she demands.
2. Some of the BEST moments in your life paid for with some of the worst.
3. A short ride can be good a long ride even better but a too long ride leaves you with sore balls and stiff thighs.
4. Quality of the ride is dependant on the time you spent preparing for the ride.
5. If she ain't lubed all through the ride there will be strange groans coming when you push it a little.
6. When you want to change jobs you have to consider her welfare.
7. The more often you ride her the less it cost you per ride.
8. Any good looking bike is also high maintanence.
9. Your wife resents your bike if you spend too much time with it.
10. If you treat your bike with care love and understanding she will never dump you, but other bikes will be jealous.
11. If you really love the ride nothing will make you let go, not money, not social stature, not even your wife.
12. If you do give her up there is a void in your heart, and it eats at you until you admit you will never be happy until you get her back. :lol:

wkid_one
9th January 2004, 18:02
Wasn't intedned for sympathy - just totalled the costs is all.

Trail biking yes, racing yes, road biking never.

In rebut to your reasons: None of those really press me to ride on the road.
Racing is different however.....admittedly I was probably treating the road as a race track anyway...........but not on the road. WHY? I have a car that is paid for....I'll stick to getting my biking jollies on the track - when I am allowed

onearmedbandit
9th January 2004, 21:38
Wkid One, these costs, and probably slightly more could be applied to an average performance car, say a WRX or RX-7. (More probably for insurance, tyres and fuel).

My point is that you can't unfairly single out bikes for high ownership costs, especially when you compare the relative performance factors between bikes and other means of transport. (not to mention grin factor)

SPman
9th January 2004, 22:34
Just checked my data - cost me 41c / km, including fuel,
total cost of bike and all servicing and repairs, tyres, etc., over 45,500 km. - doesn't seem too bad to me for the jollies I've got out of it! :hug:

wkid_one
9th January 2004, 23:38
Wkid One, these costs, and probably slightly more could be applied to an average performance car, say a WRX or RX-7. (More probably for insurance, tyres and fuel).

My point is that you can't unfairly single out bikes for high ownership costs, especially when you compare the relative performance factors between bikes and other means of transport. (not to mention grin factor)
I wasn't - my god - read me post. All I was saying is this is what it cost when I added it up......I didn't pass any comment in comparison with the car - I even said I will MISS RIDING. I just said I am content driving the car.

plus if I was - me is comparing it with a company paid car....no contest. :argh:

I was merely adding up the cost for the priviledge of having a motorbike parked in my garage - no more no less. When you add it up - it is a lot of money for SECONDARY form of transport and a TOY (I don't commute - that is what work pay for me to have a car and car park for)....therefore comparing with a car is a ridiculous comparison......

Lou Girardin
10th January 2004, 05:19
Good point, onearmedbandit. Compare bike costs to something close in performance, maybe a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A set of tyres for these things cost more than my bike.
Lou

onearmedbandit
10th January 2004, 06:29
You were making a point about the cost of running a bike. Now to you a bike is weekend only fun, not a commuting tool. Thats fine. But if you replace that weekend only bike with a weekend only performance car the costs would probably still be more.

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison with cars, just thats the most usual other form of vehicle that people will buy to get their thrills. Don't get your panties in a twist over it.

wkid_one
10th January 2004, 10:10
You were making a point about the cost of running a bike. Now to you a bike is weekend only fun, not a commuting tool. Thats fine. But if you replace that weekend only bike with a weekend only performance car the costs would probably still be more.

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison with cars, just thats the most usual other form of vehicle that people will buy to get their thrills. Don't get your panties in a twist over it.
Ahhh- not getting my panties in a twist...was merely stating the cost of riding

Redstar
10th January 2004, 13:28
:blah: I too have done the cost thing and really worked it out. I came to the conclusion that its is a myth that bikes are cheaper to run than Cars of average type. but you miss three fundemental points.

Point 1 Depreciation

Buy a car even a secondhand one and try to sell it the next day for $3000 less than you paid for it. (good luck)

Point 2 Joy

If you love the feeling of the process you'd pay for it right? if not don't do it take the Box or the Bus.

Point 3 Efficiency and ecology

If your sat in traffic burning gas and clogging up the Motorway :mad:

If you need more justification time to move on good luck :niceone:

onearmedbandit
10th January 2004, 18:02
Actually Wkid, you did make mention of a car, comparing it by saying air/con, ability to carry more than a matchbox and a block of butter, and lack of attire.

Anywayz, the inference from your post is that bikes are expensive to own. Correct? I thought so. My point is that compared to what cars has to offer in terms of grin factor, I'd pay twice as much as a car. But I don't, I pay more for my car.

wkid_one
10th January 2004, 22:17
Ummm - people seem to be missing the point of my post. I was merely detailing the costs of owning a bike ON TOP OF OWNING A CAR. My bike is a weekend toy and as such is an expensive hobby. At no stage did I say driving a car was more preferable or that I didn't like riding a bike.

I was NEVER comparing it to the cost of owning a car - merely commenting ONLY on the cost of owning a bike.

I was merely indicating that I would have to be content with driving a car and the certain priveledges it has over riding (not discounting the opposites)....which they both have. Take today for example - I could take the missus and the dog out - in comfort for a swim - can't do that with a bike.

I love riding - and will still do it (track only) I have never discounted this nor denied it.

If YOU feel you have to justify why you ride - so be it, I wasn't passing an opinion - merely stating a fact as to my cost of bike ownership

It was the first time I had added up all the costs of owning a bike and was surprised is all at the cost.

Re Depreciation - work this out per trip on your bike?? As I only ride the bike in the weekends - depreciation to percentage of use is huge. Plus I have a company car - so depn isn't an issue. If you think bikes don't depreciate one arm you are living in a world of your own. With all the new model bikes coming out annually - your bike is depreciating quicker than you think.

Fuck - you make one simple statement and all the lunatics think you are criticising - is it a full moon or something?

Racey Rider
11th January 2004, 07:27
Get real Wkid! There IS No Moon!!
It's just a optical illusion, Set up by the Americans,,, so they could then fake a landing on it!!
The cost to the earth of having a real moon would be far to great!

wari
11th January 2004, 07:33
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ....

*walking out backwards* ... :crazy:

Big Dog
11th January 2004, 09:20
In rebut to your reasons: None of those really press me to ride on the road.
I never meant to pose an argument for or against, just illustrate my point, which is riding is a passion a hobby or a lifestyle. Outside of commuting there is no logical reason for riding in the relative discomfort of a motorcycle. It is something we do because we can / we have to / want to. not because it's logical. I bought my bike because my life had become less interesting without one, a peice of me was missing. Now its back, and I feel complete.
$6,500 Bike.
$ 450 Servicing
$ 65 Speedo Cable
$ 140 Rego (first year was included in the purchase price)
$ 0 Tyres (about 25% of my tyre tread gone)
$1,000 Insurance
Seems a pretty small price to pay for 18 months (16,000 kms) of sanity :eek5: .

If you need a reason to ride or convincing from us, you shouldn't own state of the art engineering in the first place.

Big Dog
11th January 2004, 09:25
Oh and retail is still the same as what I paid for mine.:Pokey:

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 09:27
Get real Wkid! There IS No Moon!!
It's just a optical illusion, Set up by the Americans,,, so they could then fake a landing on it!!
The cost to the earth of having a real moon would be far to great!

Ummm - maybe you should watch your consumption of illicit chemicals - or at least moderate them....

Actually Wkid, you did make mention of a car, comparing it by saying air/con, ability to carry more than a matchbox and a block of butter, and lack of attire.
You seem to have missed the bit off the end of that paragraph where I said
...but I will still miss riding
For gods sake all - all I was doing was posting MY costs of riding a bike. No more no less. I wasn't trying to convince people it is expensive, I wasn't trying to convince people cars are better. Hell I wasn't even trying to convince anyone the moons exists.

I know bikes are fun, I know they have their own joys over and above cars.

Seeing as I have passed on road riding - I calculated how much money I was going to save.....this isn't the reason why I gave it up - it is just a factual itemisation of MY costs.

It actually sounds in all honesty more like you are trying to convince yourselves the cost is worth it.

And with that I leave this thread as it has turned in to something I didn't intend. Rather than a statement - it has turned in to an argument.

Big Dog
11th January 2004, 09:34
And with that I leave this thread as it has turned in to something I didn't intend. Rather than a statement - it has turned in to an argument.

With all due respect perhaps we just took it for the sort of conflict provoking post you seem most interested in since your high side?

If you have been offended I apologise, i thought I was just playing along, and providing a little off the cuff humour. :doh:

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 09:41
With all due respect perhaps we just took it for the sort of conflict provoking post you seem most interested in since your high side?

If you have been offended I apologise, i thought I was just playing along, and providing a little off the cuff humour. :doh:
If you had noticed - recently I had had more people agreeing with my posts than not - something that quite frankly scared the bejesus out of me.

My post was merely a point of interest - no more no less.

ON the cost thing however - I am surprised at how cheap trailies are - admittedly with a higher degree of R&M than a road bike - but shit....for the amount of bike you are getting they seem disproportionately cheaper than road bikes - go figure

Big Dog
11th January 2004, 09:45
ON the cost thing however - I am surprised at how cheap trailies are - admittedly with a higher degree of R&M than a road bike - but shit....for the amount of bike you are getting they seem disproportionately cheaper than road bikes - go figure

Perhaps the extra cost on the R1 is just the bragging rights :bleh:

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 09:50
Perhaps the extra cost on the R1 is just the bragging rights :bleh:
Possibly - or just pure profit??

onearmedbandit
11th January 2004, 20:48
Fair enough Wkid, but still I felt that some balance was required. And as far as your statement about myself needing convincing re the costs, you don't know me or how much determination and effort I've had to put back into getting back on a serious roadbike. I'm probably the last one on this board who cares how little or much it costs to ride. For one my income allows this, and I work hard for it. Secondly, I don't look at m/c's in terms of dollars and cents, rather as an extension of who I am as a person. Sure I shop around looking for the best deal, but m/cing is a part of me, it helps makes up who I am.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue. Intially all I did was offer a counter opinion, to which you jumped up and down.

BTW, where the fuck did this bit of verbal trash come from???

Re Depreciation - work this out per trip on your bike?? As I only ride the bike in the weekends - depreciation to percentage of use is huge. Plus I have a company car - so depn isn't an issue. If you think bikes don't depreciate one arm you are living in a world of your own. With all the new model bikes coming out annually - your bike is depreciating quicker than you think.

Fuck - you make one simple statement and all the lunatics think you are criticising - is it a full moon or something

Wow, Wkid's giving me a lesson in depreciation, I'm in vehicle sales so I might just know a thing or two about it myself. My bike is depreciating quicker than I think? Um, sorry mind reader, but no its not. I know how quick it will depreciate, but couldn't give a flying fuck. Bikes to me are above putting on a balance sheet, because you can't put the experiences, fun, adventures, people you meet, stories you hear and tell on the other side of the ledger to offset the dep.

Now go and chill. All I did was counter your comment, which YOU couldn't handle, and then you started an attack on me. Thats all I've got to say right now, this isn't worth anymore of my time.

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 20:56
Anyway, I'm not here to argue. Intially all I did was offer a counter opinion, to which you jumped up and down.
Ahhh - you post sounds like the final battle in the 8 Mile DVD. I wasn't stating an opinion - just a fact as to MY cost of riding and owning a bike.....everyone has assumed the negative. Refer below. This is exactly my point.

This is actually quite an amusing response, everyone has jumped in to this assuming I am BAGGING riding and/or owning a bike.......far from it. It is you, one arm, who has taken the negative of the discussion - I have merely placed facts on the table.

Shit - I would be first to attest to the benefits of riding a bike. I just can't justify the costs of having a bike like the R1 sitting in my garage for 6 days out of 7. TO ME - the benefits don't outweigh the costs.

I made no comment as to OTHERS costs - I don't know them.........did you actually READ my first post properly??

As for 'Sure I shop around looking for the best deal, but m/cing is a part of me, it helps makes up who I am' - that is a serious issue if something innate makes up your identity. :Pokey:

Yamahamaman
11th January 2004, 21:12
Shit - I would be first to attest to the benefits of riding a bike. I just can't justify the costs of having a bike like the R1 sitting in my garage for 6 days out of 7. TO ME - the benefits don't outweigh the costs.

Beats me why you bought a road bike or 2 in the first place.

I own a bike because it is the best solution to Auckland traffic. The car I also own is currently up for sale, as I spend more time charging the battery than actually driving the thing. (Something like 100km between WOF's).

wkid_one
11th January 2004, 21:16
Beats me why you bought a road bike or 2 in the first place.

I own a bike because it is the best solution to Auckland traffic. The car I also own is currently up for sale, as I spend more time charging the battery than actually driving the thing. (Something like 100km between WOF's).
Company car solves many of my problems. Plus Auckland had much wickeder rides than Wellington (sorry old argument but true IMO) Have no traffic problems as I live in town......

As have I said previously - I can give up ROAD riding somewhat easily because I did what I wanted to do.......this harks back to an OLD post. This doesn't mean I am gonna walk away from ALL forms of motorcycling - far from it.

Lou Girardin
12th January 2004, 06:21
Same here, yamahaman. Couldn't justify an unused 4 wheel toy either.
I think part of the reason wkid cops so much flak, is the 180 degree turnaround since he went splat. The cost of ownership didn't used to worry him.
Lou

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 06:55
Same here, yamahaman. Couldn't justify an unused 4 wheel toy either.
I think part of the reason wkid cops so much flak, is the 180 degree turnaround since he went splat. The cost of ownership didn't used to worry him.
Lou
That's where your wrong......cost was always as issue

Redstar
15th January 2004, 20:18
The inference that I am a lunatic based on my interpretation of your post and I being only one of a group of lunatics who collectively misunderstood the underlying message hidden deep within the body of your thread might take exception to your inference? Depreciation has a time factor ratio as well as a usage one in fact one could argue its lower if you only ride at weekends?
its also has a relationship to make model and condition would you concede that?. My Bike has lost $500 a year but this will bottom out soon and appreciation might be on the cards? that is rare with cars but common with bikes how many times do you spot ads saying stored 10 years there must a rationale for this apparent lunacy
I reckon the lunatics in the hospital are all convinced the Doctor is a nutter :Punk:
Actually I dont mind being called a Lunatic :D as its a reasonable assumption that i'm not the full quid

SPman
15th January 2004, 22:33
Whew!..........

Jackrat
15th January 2004, 23:50
Time to scare the bjesus out of Wkid. :msn-wink:
I been following this thread since day one and have always just thought it was just a round up of Wkids costs,Nothing more.
How we each interpret these/our costs is pretty much a personal thing ain't it??.For my self cost has never come into it,I mean every thing costs, So what the hell,Some is just more or less than others.
About the only thing I know about my own costs is that as long as I don,t crash me bike beyond repair is that I can sell it for more than I payed for it.
But then I'm also one of these weidos that really enjoy driving my car,So go figure. :bye:

wkid_one
16th January 2004, 12:45
Time to scare the bjesus out of Wkid. :msn-wink:
I been following this thread since day one and have always just thought it was just a round up of Wkids costs,Nothing more.
How we each interpret these/our costs is pretty much a personal thing ain't it??.For my self cost has never come into it,I mean every thing costs, So what the hell,Some is just more or less than others.
About the only thing I know about my own costs is that as long as I don,t crash me bike beyond repair is that I can sell it for more than I payed for it.
But then I'm also one of these weidos that really enjoy driving my car,So go figure. :bye:Exactly right - I wasn't even interpretting the costs......just detailing them.
I had made the decision to sell the bike BEFORE adding the costs up - but was redoing my budget w/o the bike - and was blown away by how much money it freed up.
I too enjoy driving my car.
I am glad someone sees that I am not BAGGING riding!

And FUCK ME - that sounded awfully like Jackrat not only saw my point of view but in a round about way agreed with some of what I said........

What is the world coming to

Dave
20th January 2004, 16:41
If your looking at this stuff, You'r trying to make excuses to make yourself feel better about not riding.
Good on Ya.

wkid_one
21st January 2004, 06:37
If your looking at this stuff, You'r trying to make excuses to make yourself feel better about not riding.
Good on Ya.
Ahhhh - read the whole post Dave before you get lippy - this is exactly what I WASN'T doing

Dave
21st January 2004, 08:16
Ahhhh - read the whole post Dave before you get lippy - this is exactly what I WASN'T doing

Whatever :whocares:

wkid_one
21st January 2004, 09:54
now that post was mature

flightcrank
25th January 2004, 00:11
hmmm, ok i found this thred a tad intresting as i went in to bike for many reasons which im sure you all know the main one is FUN :D

but i also like how far you can go on a bike with such a small amount of fuel comapered to a car. i know the other dude was adding his cost up of mataing a bike and car but....

i find my bike a suzuki across wayyyyyy cheaper to maintain and run then compared to my car, i find matianing it is cheaper per year buy about $100 give or take a few bucks, and about $10 per week cheaper in fuel which saves me about $520 per year, as i use my bike as my main source of transport, and my car when i rains which aint all that much,

the only thing i like about my car that is good is listing to music on my big sound system, but my bike engine sounds 1000 times better than my cars, btw my car aka piece of shit, is a 85 mitsubishi magna. oh yeah im in australia so i dont know how that effects price's compared to kiwi's

so yeah for me at least a bike is way cheaper to buy, to run and to mantain then compared to you averge car, what are your opinions, maby gsxr's cbr's will cost a bit more i dont know but it would be cool to hear how other people and there bikes cost them,

Jackrat
25th January 2004, 08:52
Well this is interesting,back to the real subject,cool.
I run a Nissan patrol,one of the most hated things on the road.
I love it,and the running costs are quite low.
I payed cash for it so I don't have any credit related costs,It is diesel so it is cheap to run in that respect,around $9.00per 100kms.I only have third party insurance,I do my own maintanance and it hasn't needed any new parts in the time I've owned it,The biggist single cost is reg'o.It is used every day off road plus for general transport and for towing horse floats and a boat.
My bike an 83 XS 650 Yamaha was payed for with cash,so also has no credit costs,It costs about $5.00 per 100kms in gas,Has no insurance,again I do my own maintance which is just as well other wise it would cripple me.
Being an older bike it always seems to need something done on it,Parts for it are quite cheap.The two biggest costs are again reg'o and tyres.
I can't really compear the costs of either because they both used in different ways.The bike probably costs me more but it is worth every $.

wkid_one
25th January 2004, 08:54
Well this is interesting,back to the real subject,cool.
I run a Nissan patrol,one of the most hated things on the road.
I love it,and the running costs are quite low.
I payed cash for it so I don't have any credit related costs,It is diesel so it is cheap to run in that respect,around $9.00per 100kms.I only have third party insurance,I do my own maintanance and it hasn't needed any new parts in the time I've owned it,The biggist single cost is reg'o.It is used every day off road plus for general transport and for towing horse floats and a boat.
My bike an 83 XS 650 Yamaha was payed for with cash,so also has no credit costs,It costs about $5.00 per 100kms in gas,Has no insurance,again I do my own maintance which is just as well other wise it would cripple me.
Being an older bike it always seems to need something done on it,Parts for it are quite cheap.The two biggest costs are again reg'o and tyres.
I can't really compear the costs of either because they both used in different ways.The bike probably costs me more but it is worth every $. Well Done JR - this is what I actually meant when posting the original post.

Not opinion - just fact.

The thing I have looked at now tho - is that whilst the absolute cost of OWNING a bike is cheaper than a car and running it - generally the COST per kilometer travelled is higher - because in the main most bikes are a secondary form a transport meaning the bike is in the garage a lot of the time. Meaning you can end up paying for the priveledge of having it sitting in the garage (admittedly it is worth the cost in intrinsic benefits).

I didn't realise how much money it cost until I cancelled the insurance and redid my budget when I put the bike up for sale.......

Lou Girardin
25th January 2004, 09:06
Jackrat, I'd like to see your 4WD running costs over, say, 5 years. Thats 2 diffs, transfer case and gearbox oil to change. Big expensive tyres to replace. Diesel engines aren't cheap to maintain properly either. It won't be as cheap as a Corolla, thats for sure.
Lou

georgedubyabush
25th January 2004, 09:30
Oh for a Rego valid for Weekends only at 2/7ths the cost then.

Jackrat
25th January 2004, 09:32
Jackrat, I'd like to see your 4WD running costs over, say, 5 years. Thats 2 diffs, transfer case and gearbox oil to change. Big expensive tyres to replace. Diesel engines aren't cheap to maintain properly either. It won't be as cheap as a Corolla, thats for sure.
Lou

Yeah your right,but as I said I do my own maintainance.
The tyres are no more to replace than a lot of car tyres and I am geting very good kms from them,I run KUMOS.To compear it with a Corolla is a bit silly,I use this thing off road every day for work that would kill a Corolla.
Plus a Corolla is never going to tow a double horse float or a 5meter boat.
My Nissan is very much a work horse.If I even tryed to do the kms on my bike that I do on my Nissan the bike would need a full rebuild inside three years.Two totaly different vehicules used for different things but they are what I have so they are what get compeared in my case.

wkid_one
25th January 2004, 10:37
Oh for a Rego valid for Weekends only at 2/7ths the cost then.
Amen.

JR is right - in many case 4wd's are a necessity. We needed one to tow the horse float also

I question whether they are more expensive to run than a car tho.....logic says no.

Must be data on the internet tho

Zed
25th January 2004, 15:07
...so what do you intend on doing with your new found monthly fortune?

Also, will you still be active on this list once your bike sells? Isn't list membership and participation soley for those who are Kiwi "riders"? :buggerd:

Zed

wkid_one
25th January 2004, 16:22
Trail bike is the next planned purchase

Motu
25th January 2004, 18:05
Amen.

JR is right - in many case 4wd's are a necessity. We needed one to tow the horse float also

I question whether they are more expensive to run than a car tho.....logic says no.

Must be data on the internet tho

I maintain other peoples cars for a living - it definatly costs more to maintain a 4x4 diesel than any car,even a high tech one.I charge a 1/2hr more to do a 4x4 and most likely loose on that one,a diesel needs an oil change at 5,000km intervals,not 10,000 like we do on a petrol,most Jap diesels take a dual (combined bypass and full flow) filter that costs a heap more than a normal spin on (not all have these,just most)more oil too, we do a fuel filter once a year or 20,000km,plus we have to check,top up or change diffs and transfers and use a grease gun,rarely got out these days.No ign system - choice eh....but someone has to pick up the tab when injectors and pump need sevicing.Three sets of sparkplugs in 100,000km compared to an injector service,(just a note for those who run a diesel...when I worked for a large trucking company we fitted recon injectors every 6mths,and recon injector pump every 12mths,these rigs worked hard,but we looked after them).You have to do big kms in a diesel before you reap the cost benefits,90% of private users don't - but I'll take their money anyway.

Bikes?....I have 10 bikes with a combined purchase cost of less than $5500,I buy them cheap cause no one else wants them,keep them forever...or until I freakout and give them away,then kick myself a couple of years later.With the kms I now do a year in no way do they earn their keep,rego is a major cost....but bikes are worth more than money to me - I need them...and they need me to save them from a fate worse than death,we get on well together.

flightcrank
26th January 2004, 21:02
well dose any one think its chaper to run a bike as opposed to a car i know mine is but no 1 answered my post :(

so dise any one find it cheaper like me or not ?

MrMelon
26th January 2004, 21:41
Mine's cost me an absolute aRseload to keep running, but then again, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than my bigass turbo skyline that I replaced with the bike.

It's just mainly engine repairs cos some stupid fucker (fuck you Richards motorcycle services!!) did such a horrendous job on it when I took it to him, and now another shop has had to completely redo all his work, and then some.

matthewt
26th January 2004, 21:48
and now another shop has had to completely redo all his work, and then some.

So is it all sorted now ??

MrMelon
26th January 2004, 22:04
So is it all sorted now ??

3/4 of the way there, just waiting on some new gaskets to arrive :D
The full story's here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1613) (down the bottom)

Big Dog
27th January 2004, 17:04
well dose any one think its chaper to run a bike as opposed to a car i know mine is but no 1 answered my post :(

so dise any one find it cheaper like me or not ?
My bike costs the same to own run and maintain (everything cost related) as the misus spends on petrol and servicing (not counting the cars registration warrants or insurance or hp payments.). :eek:

Bonez
17th February 2006, 17:53
It cost $1400 for the last bike so costings based on that.
New cain, sprockets, tyres and oil change bought that up to about $14500.
Just spent $150 on new rear shocks.
Registration say $230pa
Petrol varies depending on distance traveled, how much disposable income, gotta love that term, I have at hand. More dosh the more kms clocked up.
Tyres say $220/6 months
Loan- non, will never get another one for a vehicle. Cash up front or no purchase.
Insurance $25 per annum
Servicing say around $40 every six months

6 bikes at around $5000 total value. Two I could sell more than I bought them for tomorrow if i wished. All payed for and all handy in some way, even if it's just to fill in a couple of evening hours pulling someting off to fix/clean. Gathering a selection of spares to keep then running another 20 plus years so must be happy with them. Yes in reality I do think a m/c costs a bit more to run than the mythical family sedan. But in saying that- SO WHAT?